Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

LordMune posted:

To take your minds off the anime, we did a thing because we could; Berserk #345

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Exposition! I think Guts realizes that time is limited so he wants to hurry up.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Griffith, not content to be King of Falconia, wants to wreck the rest of the world so they all need to congregate in his kingdom to make him the unified King of the world.

Makes sense with his ambition, but he probably won't be satisfied after that. I'm just comparing him to the arsonist fireman at this point - making poo poo worse so he can be the savior.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I mean, that's basically Griffith's motivation in a nutshell anyway.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Griffith, you are a rude boy and I still don't know if he was complicit in the assassination attempt against Rickert (well, as non-complicit as he can be). Guts, on the other hand, I really feel bad for. He's so close, but who knows if restoring Casca's mind is the right thing to do. I mean, even Guts lost it, and became the uber-rear end in a top hat, The Black Swordsman, in order to cope with the Eclipse. Can this Elf King really save Casca? Hell, could he help Guts out, too? Guy's head is pretty messed up, too. He could use magical therapy as well.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Isidro, you goddamn moron. So close, yet so far :allears:

Man, I hope this doesn't end with the Flowerstorm King going "yo Guts, I'm gonna heal Casca, but only if you murder Griffith first" and Casca sits on the sidelines again. I want awesome acrobat commander Casca back (...likely horribly traumatized and changed forever, but goddammit, even in-universe everyone is despairing over her state, and her "return" would up-end the entire character dynamic, DO IT DO IT DO IT)!

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
It's gonna be really fun when they walk in to see the Elf King and it's the Skull Knight. I just have to wonder what he will want in exchange. Now I wonder who Skull Knight referenced from history, "It might not be what she wants".

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

SK is powerful but I bet he's not the king. He used to be a different king.

Also it's interesting how Miura's style has changed over time. I thought he was on a trend of elongating the character's faces to age them up, but in recent chapters he's been gradually bringing Gut's face back to the way it looked in earlier volumes, slightly shorter and more rounded.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Guts: the lost JoJo

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Harlock posted:

Guts: the lost JoJo

well I mean both of them are heavily influenced by Fist of the North Star, right?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

well I mean both of them are heavily influenced by Fist of the North Star, right?

I mean this was Jonathan (The first JoJo) after a little bit into Phantom Blood, so at least on that side it's not much of a stretch :v:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Ccs posted:

SK is powerful but I bet he's not the king. He used to be a different king.

Also it's interesting how Miura's style has changed over time. I thought he was on a trend of elongating the character's faces to age them up, but in recent chapters he's been gradually bringing Gut's face back to the way it looked in earlier volumes, slightly shorter and more rounded.

I like how right-hand Guts looks because it's less horse-faced and scarred, so I can pretend he isn't suffering horrifically every time the berserker armor comes on. I just want the guy to have some time to himself and his without everyone involved bring miserable.

Guys I may be getting too sentimental for Berserk.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I thought he just forgot how to draw Berserk and was re-learning as he went. I mean, it'd been a while.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I thought he just forgot how to draw Berserk and was re-learning as he went. I mean, it'd been a while.

:drat:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
There were a few panels where I thought Guts was almost looking like young Guts circa Black Swordsman or end-of-Golden-Age.

Is there supposed to be a time dilation thing on this island? Does that make the young witches 100 years old, and the retirees 1k-2k? Any chance that more than just the king were around with Gaiseric?

Also, "Skellig". I wonder if that name has any significance (beyond the random real-world reference).

Need to reread 345 now that the Evil Genius is up. :]

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
just saw that berserk musou was pushed back to release after idolmaster platinum stars

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Went through my old manga closet and apparently I only have Vol 1-15 of the Dark Horse manga. Is there anyplace I can get 16+ from? It doesn't look like they are printing the older volumes any more.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FordCQC posted:

Went through my old manga closet and apparently I only have Vol 1-15 of the Dark Horse manga. Is there anyplace I can get 16+ from? It doesn't look like they are printing the older volumes any more.

Check Amazon, they're all in print.

Also: is the anime good? I kinda checked out when they made Casca white (because seriously :wtc:) but if it's kickass otherwise I might be convinced.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The anime's been terrible unless you get some enjoyment out of laughing at bad anime in which case it's a contender for show of the year.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

She's only white in flashbackst though, which are supposed to look washed out. In the actual show her skin in brown, like in episode 4.

I will still watch the anime until the end, every friday. It will hurt each time, but I will do it. Maybe they'll be some moments of greatness hidden within.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001
I think this show uses reskinned ReBoot models and animations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Also: is the anime good? I kinda checked out when they made Casca white (because seriously :wtc:) but if it's kickass otherwise I might be convinced.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Ccs posted:

I will still watch the anime until the end, every friday. It will hurt each time, but I will do it.
We have some new Berserk readers, so book13 spoilers... :angel:

Griffith gave in and accepted the easy way out. Corkus gave up and accepted the titties. Pippin fought until he was chomped in half. Judeau protected the Hawks until he was a pincushion. Guts did rend his arm away. But Ccs, only Ccs places his eyes in front of the anime each week.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I know it's a pretty big sacrifice, but someone has to do it. For the souls of those animators to find peace.

This is me watching Berserk 2016:

Ccs fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 27, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Ccs posted:

I know it's a pretty big sacrifice, but someone has to do it. For the souls of those animators to find peace.

This is me watching Berserk 2016:

God speed, sir.

You have a higher pain tolerance than I.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I'd like to see the reaction from the group if Guts told them his whole story. (And can't wait for Rickert and Silat to joing the party :black101:)

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

I imagine there will be a huge conflict of character when they do finally see the Elf King. Do you restore Casca's mind, along with the memories of all the horrors committed against her and what it wrought? Or do you keep her blissfully ignorant? Guts loves her and wants that woman back, but does he want her to go through all the suffering of the eclipse over again?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
It's kinda interesting, with all the other excitements demonstrated, during the Eclipse no one is shown to commit suicide. I would think there would have been at least one of the ~50 that did. Is that a black-barred, cultural no-no in Japan?

Oh yeah, one more thought. In the most recent chapter, the World Tree gets lots of coverage. If the World Tree is connected to the lower astral planes, doesn't that strongly suggest that the Moon Child is not the Elf King? MC=Griffith makes sense if the tree permits 'warping' (the child is seen standing on a branch of the tree after the episode on the shore), but there's no way Zodd could get there in the same timeframe. MC=CascaGutsChild makes sense if, during the rebirth, the child was also reborn, perhaps in a spirit sense so that the child can make use of the tree to travel between the planes. MC=ElfKing now seems to only make sense to me if the Elf King has significant powers that permits using the tree far beyond the powers that Flora and the others are shown to possess. Moreover, Shierke provides an allegory about children getting lost along the dragon path, which seems an allusion to CascaGutsChild being able to use that path during the rebirth.

Other than the demonization of the child by Griffith, and potential rebirth intertwining, it seems likely that the child is still a separate entity. While they reference the merging of the astral planes, it's not like apostles and Godhand are just popping up in random locations as they please. It seems like the tree and the moon (the exact opposite of the pre-rebirth child appearances) are important enough to separate the child from Griffith, who has yet to demonstrate any magical affinity for the tree, beyond rooting it near Falconia to keep the demons away... or all in the same place.

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 27, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

At least Hai Yo exists.
Thanks Hirasawa you glorious bastard.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
We at Evil_Genius are working out some kind of collaboration or partnership with Mangastream to maximize the timeliness and quality of Berserk releases.

Here is 345v2 using a much higher-quality raw: http://mangastream.com/r/berserk/345/3565/1 (torrent later)

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Elf king will be puck with a wig...

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

16 to like 19 are out of stock or I can buy them from resellers with 300% markup. Maybe I'll check my local comic store and cross my fingers.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

LordMune posted:

We at Evil_Genius are working out some kind of collaboration or partnership with Mangastream to maximize the timeliness and quality of Berserk releases.

Here is 345v2 using a much higher-quality raw: http://mangastream.com/r/berserk/345/3565/1 (torrent later)

You do God's work, sir.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

LordMune posted:

Even though it doesn't look quite as perfect as it once did, especially as it's quite clear Miura isn't 100% used to digital art, Berserk is still so goddamn pretty.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Even though it doesn't look quite as perfect as it once did, especially as it's quite clear Miura isn't 100% used to digital art, Berserk is still so goddamn pretty.

There's just soooo much detail. And on top of that its got a really cool realistic aesthetic going on, and Miura has a pretty solid understanding of anatomy and architecture.

There's more detail in the background of a single Berserk panel than in an entire page of some modern comics or manga.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I loved these chapters way more than the stuff with Rickert. In those, everyone's clothes looked like they were under water or something. The art here is gorgeous.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

For me, I'd say the art peaked (so far) around the time Guts first got on the boat and Griffith fought Ganishka. Not meant as a slight against anything before or after at all. If I were to ever draw a single thing as well as Miura at his worst, I'd retire from art immediately and fully satisfied.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

FordCQC posted:

16 to like 19 are out of stock or I can buy them from resellers with 300% markup. Maybe I'll check my local comic store and cross my fingers.

Amazon has 16 (1-3 week wait), 17 (in stock), 18 (temporarily out of stock), 19 (in stock).

17 and 19 are in stock at Barnes & Noble for $10.73 & $12.68 respectively. B&N has a 20% off coupon for the highest priced item in your cart with code BNWILD going right now I believe.

19 is also in stock at InStockTrades for $8.69. IST is generally the cheapest for TPBs in my experience, but their Berserk selection is kind of all over the place.

Half.com is also worth checking out. Only volume in 16-19 I see that is pricey is 18, the others are in brand new condition for like $12-$16 shipped.

Cactus Jack fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 27, 2016

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I sometimes wonder if Berserk would be as effective if it was a little less detailed - if Miura didn't spend 20hrs shading a single breastplate (or breast) maybe he'd get stuff out faster.

Thinking about it now, I'd prefer to have an uncompromised Berserk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Some parts of Berserk are absolutely over-detailed (all of the Falconia stuff being a good example). Imo the peak of the art was during the Tower of Conviction arc through most of the Millenium Falcon stuff; very high quality but not being so over-detailed that you can't make individual things out.