Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Mister Bates posted:

I had no ambushers, thieves, baby-snatchers, or anything of the sort for almost four years, and my goblin neighbors showed up as 'At Peace' on the civ menu, so I got lulled into a false sense of security and neglected my defenses almost completely. Forgot to even link the gates up to levers. Ended up getting hit by an invasion of over 150 goblins in 254 with only six axedwarves to defend myself with. It was a loving slaughter. There is one dwarf somehow still alive but they're bound to find him eventually.

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I've got a couple squads of mixed melee fighters, I gave them all the 'individual choice melee' uniform option so they'd all use their preferred weapon type, and all of my macedwarves promptly dropped their maces and swapped them out for crossbows with no quivers or bolts. :psydwarf:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mister Bates posted:

I've got a couple squads of mixed melee fighters, I gave them all the 'individual choice melee' uniform option so they'd all use their preferred weapon type, and all of my macedwarves promptly dropped their maces and swapped them out for crossbows with no quivers or bolts. :psydwarf:

Unloaded crossbows are treated as blunt weapons (and I guess use the mace skill), so if the crossbows are of better material quality than the maces that'd probably do it.

You might want to check if it's possible to do something like "individual choice of melee weapon, but it has to be made of steel." Then just make your crossbows out of wood (and hope they never have to be used in melee) or silver (heavier than steel and thus better for bashing damage anyways!)

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Phi230 posted:

Adventure mode is impossible because:

Every monster is lol gently caress you

It is literally impossible to find a specific NPC in a town with a population above like 10

There also seems to be no way to actually take a quest. You just kinda ask for a place and go there independently. Thus the place you are trying to go is not marked in the Q menu as important and it is easy to forget where youre going

Also never had a person accept my requesr to go adventuring.

It's important to remember that Adventurer mode isn't even a quarter finished. It's really only there as a means to explore the worlds you create and hasn't been balanced or had much added to it in the way of new gameplay features.

The biggest problem, for me, in adventurer mode is that artifacts you generate at a fort can't be removed by an adventurer. So if your dwarves make some incredible artifact adamantine sword just forget trucking an adventurer out there to pick it up because as soon as you leave the cell it'll disappear from your inventory and return to where you plucked it from.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Unloaded crossbows are treated as blunt weapons (and I guess use the mace skill), so if the crossbows are of better material quality than the maces that'd probably do it.

You might want to check if it's possible to do something like "individual choice of melee weapon, but it has to be made of steel." Then just make your crossbows out of wood (and hope they never have to be used in melee) or silver (heavier than steel and thus better for bashing damage anyways!)

I've taken to making uniforms for each weapon to assign as almost all of my mercs and random bards with weapon skills are marksdwarves, and I got two full ranged squads already that are only partially useful in my current fortress defence design.

I'm also annoyed that caging animals seems to have less priority than penning animals, thus my animal conservation fort has way too many random animals wandering the halls even with constant animal slaughter. At least I finally got a mating pair of giant bears and have big plans for them

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Tars Tarkas posted:

At least I finally got a mating pair of giant bears and have big plans for them

centerpiece for the great hall, right?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Gibbo posted:

Urist mcbridgebuilder is suffering from caisson sickness!!

The ears burst and blood flows!

The ability to drop a proper caisson would make aquifers less complete Bullshit. I know you can kind of do it with walls and pumps, but it would be a good thing to have on the Dwarven technology tree.

Yeah, it's kinda silly that the objection to being able to dump a bunch of rocks in from above to make a dam is "that's not how it works in real life" when right now the main methods are:

a) When there's 'natural' ground thicker than the depth of the water above the water you're trying to block, you can mine around a chunk, holding it up with a single support until you're ready to pull a lever and drop it into the water.

b) Building a shitload of screw-pumps to pump the water out faster than it can flow in, giving you a dry spot to build in.

c) Using a shitload of screw pumps to pump magma from the loving mantle into the water to create obsidian.

...and none of those are "how it works in real life" either.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Hey the magma would work, just good luck actually doing it.

And a is basically doing what he wanted to do anyhow, so what's the complaint.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hailthefish posted:

b) Building a shitload of screw-pumps to pump the water out faster than it can flow in, giving you a dry spot to build in.

Why wouldn't b) work?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Cant you make a caisson by dropping a square of ground then pumping out the water

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yup, highlight the indiv choice, melee and hit M to set the required material

If shields haven't been fixed yet you should use that to make your dwarves pick up wooden shields.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

07/25/2016 Toady One posted:

Worldgen invaders will now loot artifacts stored in buildings, and thieves can steal artifacts from them aswell. For instance, we had Thil, the leader of a group of dawn worshippers living in a human market town which was unfortunately beset by elves over the humans' display of hunting trophies. The elves routinely attacked the town and ate people, and on the third attack they drowned Thil as an example for the other humans. The grieving worshippers entombed the body in a crypt under the town, but they took Thil's bejewed linen skirt and named it Glowedlull, placing it in their temple. It only took another year before the elves returned and ate some more people, and looted the temple, taking Glowedlull back to their forest home. Peace was made ten years later, but I haven't gotten to the friendlier side of artifact transfer yet, so the skirt is still with the elves! Next up we'll be adding worldgen heroic artifact quests and gifts to round out the worldgen portion of the artifact release. Hopefully all of our recent additions taken together will provide enough backing for fortress mode and adventure mode artifact interactions.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

necrotic posted:

Maybe if you put the strict population cap to 7?

Use Fastdwarf or be very lucky and get yourself barricaded underground before the first wave shows up, then watch the migrants starve and go mad outside for generations.

You can build some workshops out there too and collect some Fell Moods. :D

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

It would be cool as hell if you have artefacts stolen from your fortress you can save and hop in adventure mode to try and reclaim it

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

...do training axes no longer cut down trees?

Because I am either screwed until a caravan, or I'm screwed completely because nobody will pick up an axe.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

StrangeAeon posted:

Because I am either screwed until a caravan, or I'm screwed completely because nobody will pick up an axe.

I came into this too a few pages back, just don't pick training axes at embark, a copper battle axe should work.

Apparently using any kind of embark profile can also make it show metal axes/weapons in the list.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

StrangeAeon posted:

release_notes.txt posted:

Other bug fixes/tweaks
(*) Stopped woodcutters from using axes without edges (like training axes)

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.
Is there any way to understand what z level approximately I should look metals at? I had a huge gold cluster right after soil level and I'm at zlevel 30 new making exploratory mining every few levels and can't see any metal other than lead/silver in a really insufficient cluster to equip my naked army with good armor (I'd better put that ore into something I will trade). And I'm pretty sure that zlevel 30 means I'm close to magma.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

The precise Z-level isn't nearly as important as what rock the layer is composed of. You'll find metal veins everywhere, but what type depends entirely on whether it's a sedimentary, igneous ex/intrusive, or metamorphic rock layer.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Stone_layers

Note that iron and coal are best found in sedimentary, which you'll find at the surface.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

I just blobbed my first goblin siege. And several of my dwarfs became experts, or masters or whatever. No underpants squad best squad!

What does x(cave spider silk trousers)x means? Are they broken?

Kirs fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 26, 2016

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Worn. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Wear

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Phi230 posted:

It would be cool as hell if you have artefacts stolen from your fortress you can save and hop in adventure mode to try and reclaim it

Yeah, this is one of the cool worldgen/adventure mode things - making Artifacts actually have value.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Dang, thanks for posting that link. I didn't realize someone had already sussed out how armor damage happens.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Goblins invaded with a 150+ men force, no biggie I lost a whole three people (Including the lone goblin swordsmaster in my fort, who attacked ten goblins by herself and killed 8 of them(!!), dying when the rest of the squads had finally caught up and were two squares away). During the fight a dancer visited the fort and managed to walk right through the three goblin wide river of goblins heading into the main opening where my guys were slaughtering them and they didn't even touch him. Obviously something weird is going on so I had my squad also kill the dancer after the siege was over, this caused like 5 other poets/bards/dancers to start attacking the squad that went after the dancer and soon 10 people are dead including my manager. I expect there will be more death soon because some idiot guest is holding up the meeting queue and I have to kill them one by one until the meetings start back up.

Also my human caravan got stuck on the map edge a few years back so now random human traders generate inside my fort in the caverns and then wander around in it doing nothing. Too bad they don't arrive with a cartload of stuff.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Siljmonster posted:

I came into this too a few pages back, just don't pick training axes at embark, a copper battle axe should work.

Apparently using any kind of embark profile can also make it show metal axes/weapons in the list.

I prefer ore + logs. For less than the cost of 1 copper pick you can have 8 bronze picks or axes.

For 15 embark points you get 1 log (converted to coal) + 1Cassiterite + 1(Native copper, Malachite or Tetrahedrite) = 8 Bronze bars
Another 24 embark points for up to 8 logs which you convert to charcoal and then use to make enough picks or axes so every single one of your starting 7 dwarfs has a tool/weapon.

It takes a bit longer to get up and running since you have to build a wood furnace, smelter and forge before you can do any mining or chopping. But on the other hand with all the points you save not bringing pick and axes you can bring a buttload of extra food.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Is there a way to bring the embark wagon inside?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Solid Poopsnake posted:

You could build a house around it. Otherwise no, it can't be moved.

NextSundayA.D.
May 13, 2009

Solid Poopsnake posted:

No but you can deconstruct it. Use (Q) then (X).

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, this is one of the cool worldgen/adventure mode things - making Artifacts actually have value.

In particular, I like that I'll finally be able to loot artifacts as an adventurer and then wield them/wear them.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

What is Tarn refering to by "friendlier side of artifact transfers"?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Helical Nightmares posted:

I'm going to guess the handing over of looted artifacts as part of treaties.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Reparations, amends and liberating stolen things from the loser, I'd suppose.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Why would you want to, out of curiosity?

Vanant
Mar 27, 2010
Leaving it outside is litter. It's unsightly!

It's also a meeting place for idle dwarves if you haven't designated any other areas yet.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

scamtank posted:

Reparations, amends and liberating stolen things from the loser, I'd suppose.

...he's going to code an entire diplomacy system isn't he.

Partially based on participants social skills and individual needs...

Jfc

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

...he's going to code an entire diplomacy system isn't he.

Partially based on participants social skills and individual needs...

Jfc

What did you think all the social skills were for? :iit:

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

What if I forgot what lever do what? :am:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Pull at random and hope for the best!

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I usually just deconstruct on embark (mostly out of habit), but I rarely have the available dwarfpower in those early seasons to move everything inside. So if there's keas and poo poo they end up making off with items. I hadn't thought of building a little temporary shack around it, that's a good idea. Chain a dog outside the door, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Pull at random and hope for the best!

Surprisingly it worked, I even remembered the logic of placing ofthese levers. Hope I'll (not) forget it next time I need to flood my water reservoir.