Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

General Dog posted:

It's a simple story, but they chose to build a convoluted plot. They could easily have just said "the war never ended" and nobody would have blonked, but instead we've got proxy wars and shadow governments and all sorts of poo poo that nobody ever really bothers to explain.

Yeah, it's good wizards versus bad wizards, but if the stakes of their fight aren't clear, or don't make sense then that's a problem.

Except the plot isnt convoluted. Good guys stop genocidal nazis in ww2 analogue.

You know why that whole Republic and First Order backstory are on the backburner in TFA? Because it only matters as an impetus to call the good guys into action for the climax.

It doesnt matter, the politics and poo poo are not the point.

The point is Rey becomes Jedi and Finn/Poe power couple bash the fash and First Order are evil neo nazis.

It doesnt need to be explained.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phi230 posted:

You know why that whole Republic and First Order backstory are on the backburner in TFA? Because it only matters as an impetus to call the good guys into action for the climax.

The "good guys" are already in open revolt with the First Order. One of their own being kidnapped is impetus enough for them to intervene.

The Republic story exists to get around the contradiction of "we know the Republic owns a significant chunk of the Galaxy but the good guys should still be scrappy underdogs like in ANH".

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Phi230 posted:

Except the plot isnt convoluted. Good guys stop genocidal nazis in ww2 analogue.

It doesnt matter, the politics and poo poo are not the point.

The point is Rey becomes Jedi and Finn/Poe power couple bash the fash and First Order are evil neo nazis.

It doesnt need to be explained.

You're right, not everything needs to be explained. But the underlying dynamics of the conflict should be easily understandable and track with what we're shown on screen. TFA doesn't succeed at this at all. We don't know what the stakes of the conflict actually are in any meaningful sense.

The New Order are supposed to be a fringe group, but they have an omnipotent superweapon even more powerful than the ones the Empire had at the height of its power, shiny new ships made of advanced materials, and preside over huge formations of troops wearing Steve Jobs-infused combat armor. Meanwhile, the galaxy's dominant power is nowhere to be seen except for when it gets wiped out as an afterthought, and the good guys who are affiliated with the galaxy's dominant power come across as some sort of cash-strapped, ragtag group scrabbling just to hold on.

This is all apparently explained away at length in background material, but the actual movie itself does a very poor job of justifying its imagery. It only works if you come into it pre-accepting that the movie is and should be predicated on the notion of recreating the commercially friendly dynamics of A New Hope, with little to no priority placed on logical narrative progression from Return of the Jedi.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Serf posted:

how many shots a loving blaster holds

Has anyone ever reloaded in Star Wars? I always thought it was infinite because lasers and you don't gotta question it.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cnut the Great posted:

You're right, not everything needs to be explained. But the underlying dynamics of the conflict should be easily understandable and track with what we're shown on screen. TFA doesn't succeed at this at all. We don't know what the stakes of the conflict actually are in any meaningful sense.

The New Order are supposed to be a fringe group, but they have an omnipotent superweapon even more powerful than the ones the Empire had at the height of its power, shiny new ships made of advanced materials, and preside over huge formations of troops wearing Steve Jobs-infused combat armor. Meanwhile, the galaxy's dominant power is nowhere to be seen except for when it gets wiped out as an afterthought, and the good guys who are affiliated with the galaxy's dominant power come across as some sort of cash-strapped, ragtag group scrabbling just to hold on.

This is all apparently explained away at length in background material, but the actual movie itself does a very poor job of justifying its imagery. It only works if you come into it pre-accepting that the movie is and should be predicated on the notion of recreating the commercially friendly dynamics of A New Hope, with little to no priority placed on logical narrative progression from Return of the Jedi.

What are the stakes? Uhhh the Nazis win? Those are pretty huge stakes.

TFA works perfectly as a Pacific Theatre Analogue.

1. There is uneasy peace between Peaceful Good Guys (Allies) and the fascist menace

2. Pearl Harbor (Starkiller base wipes out Hossin system in surprise attack)

3. Battle of Midway (Destruction of Starkiller Base)

The USA were absolutely the scrappy underdogs for like the first 12 months of WW2, barely holding on.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
While I understand you have to focus on the characters (and the criticism of "too much politics!" regarding the prequels no doubt influenced things), I think there is a story in "what went wrong after the Rebels won at Endor?" How did the New Republic become just as ineffectual as the old in something like 1/1000th of the time? Who the Hell is Snoke?

The original Star Wars is vague but simple- "Evil Galactic Empire" explains itself. The First Order is a little trickier- they're kinda like Neonazis but they have access to advanced and shiny military equipment. And they want to have the same dynamic as the OT so instead of the Republic fighting them it's a tiny Rebell- er, Resistance.

To a certain extent it's obvious they're planning to address this in later episodes. But it means TFA doesn't stand as well on its own as Eps. IV and I do.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phi230 posted:

The USA were absolutely the scrappy underdogs for like the first 12 months of WW2, barely holding on.

Not in the slightest. If anything, Pearl Harbor is the equivalent of the Death Star blowing up at the end of ANH, and everything else in WW2 is ESB.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Bash the fash (ignore that they are slave soldiers)

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I'm looking for an interesting gift for my Uncle who is a crazy huge Star Wars fan, I don't know poo poo about it so I was wondering if any of you had any ideas?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I'm looking for an interesting gift for my Uncle who is a crazy huge Star Wars fan, I don't know poo poo about it so I was wondering if any of you had any ideas?

A signed copy of the Christmas special

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Condoms

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Young Anakin action figure. E: whoops thought you said Star Trek fan, my bad.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Get him one of those little rolling BB-8 toys everyone was so crazy about over Christmas. Hell, I still want one of those myself.

Nielsen
Jun 12, 2013

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Scale...nium+falcon+kit

You need to put it together yourself though so there's some work involved but who doesn't want this or any of the other models.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Cnut the Great posted:

It's almost like Star Wars fans dont like Star Wars

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

UmOk posted:

I believe the thought process here is "Lucas isn't involved so it doesn't count"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It can't be all that omnipotent, considering it exploded. :v:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

UmOk posted:

I like all the Star Wars movies so i don't really understand what you're getting at here. And you don't even have to like all the movies to be a Star Wars fan.

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I believe the thought process here is "Lucas isn't involved so it doesn't count"

And the only reason people criticized the Total Recall reboot was because Paul Verhoeven wasn't involved. Thank you for the contribution to the discourse, dude, you're doing a hell of job hoisting me my own petard.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

you're doing a hell of job hoisting me my own petard.

Throwing Shakspeare quotes at me? That's a deep cut dude, you think you're George Lucas or somethin'?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
When is Rogue One going to show all the awesome starfighter stuff.

Because it is gonna be all about starfighters right? Right?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Vitamin P posted:

When is Rogue One going to show all the awesome starfighter stuff.

Because it is gonna be all about starfighters right? Right?

The film might not actually feature any star war.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Troposphere Wars

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Rogue One: A Beachskirmish Story

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
ROGUE ONE: WORST CASE

Rogue One begins with an action introduction.

Zoey Deschanel is under attack by der sturmtruppen. Beard white man sees value in this REBELLIOUS PERSON and 'rescues' her but she gets handcuffed cuz shes EDGY and fights back

She, a random prisoner of Beard Man, Is taken to the main rebel headquarters and shown to the entire rebel leadership for no reason other than she is protagonist

She is given THE MOST IMPORTANT JOB IN THE GALAXY by the clone of the actress who played Mon Mothma.

Thus begins act 1

WE'RE PUTTIN A TEAM TOGETHER

Beard man says. So begins recruitment montage of a bunch of archetypal A Team members.

After feel good recruitment montage, we cut to Angry White Man. He is given job to stop Good Guys. He orders EVIL BLACK PEOPLE i mean MORDTRUPPEN to hunt Good Guys

THUS BEGINS ACT 2

Good Guys take the leap and sneak onto the Death Star and steal the plans. MORDTRUPPEN interrupt before they escape and kill a popular team member and engage good guys

On their escape from the death star which is like a 30 minute action sequence they crash land on MAUI TROPICAL RESORT

THUS BEGINS ACT 3

Act 3 is a 45 minute long action sequence where 50% or higher of the A TEAM dies trying to exfiltrate the Death Star Plans.

The MORDTRUPPEN all die and ANGRY white man gets fuckin choked out by Vader who appears outta fuckin nowhere

Vader is in chase personally now

Whike the A Team flees from Vader; Donnie Yen stops and gives a tearfuk goodbye and tries to fite vader 1v1 and gets fuckin spooked

Zoey Katniss and White People Look The Same are the sole survivors whatever

Beard Man dies in tearful embrace

Edgy white girl is mortally wounded

She delivers the Laserdisk with the Death Star plans as her last action. "get these to...eugh...PRINCESS LEIAH" and she fuckin dies

C3P0 whines about seeing some girl die, and CGI princess leiah says something ominous

The final shot is is a fixed rear shot of the Corvette flying high over loving TATOOINE gently caress YOU with some dark music playing in the background

Literally the end of Halo Reach

FCUJ YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Laserdisk

DATA TAPES

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Literally the end of Halo Reach

Who's the tryhard with the edgy skull helmet in this case?

Rosh
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's Wrong,
Something's Right

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Has anyone ever reloaded in Star Wars? I always thought it was infinite because lasers and you don't gotta question it.

Not in the movies, but in the old EU books at least the laser guns run on some kind of gas or something and they have to change out cartridges. It's right up there with all the other dumb things that suck the magic out of Star Wars in so many of the books.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rosh posted:

Not in the movies, but in the old EU books at least the laser guns run on some kind of gas or something and they have to change out cartridges. It's right up there with all the other dumb things that suck the magic out of Star Wars in so many of the books.

:goonsay: You can clearly see in A New Hope that Leia's blaster ejects a cartridge requiring 300 pages of explanations of blaster physics

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It's ejecting my verisimilitude.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Barudak posted:

It's ejecting my verisimilitude.

Get this man some immersion, stat!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Just keep in mind that if prequel talk were banned, as some people argued for, it'd be nothing but blaster cartridge talk in here all day every day.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Eagerly awaiting jivjov's explanation of how blasters work.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

dublish posted:

Eagerly awaiting jivjov's explanation of how blasters work.

Working from memory here, so my apologies if I get the details wrong.

Basically a blaster bolt is a little packet of charged gas in a magnetic envelope. The guns themselves contain that which does the charging and packaging, ammunition clips are basically reserve tanks of Tibanna gas.

The colored bolt is a side effect; excess energy. The lethal bit is nearly invisible to the naked eye. There are even some (really expensive) weapons that will fire an invisible shot, like the Xerrol Nightstinger sniper.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

Basically a blaster bolt is a little packet of charged gas in a magnetic envelope. The guns themselves contain that which does the charging and packaging, ammunition clips are basically reserve tanks of Tibanna gas.

The colored bolt is a side effect; excess energy. The lethal bit is nearly invisible to the naked eye. There are even some (really expensive) weapons that will fire an invisible shot, like the Xerrol Nightstinger sniper.

All that is stupid and less fun than shooting lasers at eachother

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Basebf555 posted:

Just keep in mind that if prequel talk were banned, as some people argued for, it'd be nothing but blaster cartridge talk in here all day every day.

An acceptable alternative.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

jivjov posted:

They shoot lasers and go PEW PEW imo.

I just realized they do have visible magazines in them though so that's kind of disappointing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Of course they have cartridges. They're laser guns.

And of course they run on tibanna gas. Lando is an arms dealer.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

is that ever mentioned in the films? As far as I'm aware Landon just mines gas for whatever reason under his own quasias trade federation analog. It's a parallel to the earlier films and I guess you could make an argue menu that it creates a theme that free enterprise is, innately, opposed to oversight regardless of the ideology

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
It's never mentioned. I assume it came about as a way to explain blaster magazines and the fact that they don't behave like lasers.

Because it's vitality important that we invent convoluted explanations for the minutiae of the perfect holy trilogy rather that say "Who cares? It's neo-Flash Gordon, just enjoy it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Well that's the beauty of Star Wars. On screen it's just pew pew lasers. But if you feel like engaging with stuff beneath the surface, there's a wider world of fun stuff that you can check out via the EU and whatnot.

• Locked thread