Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

There's a big difference between throwing out WAAC bullshit accusations at folks and acknowledging that some players just aren't going to care about the high tier competitive scene, folks. X Wing has balance issues, but they aren't anywhere near as egregious as 90% of the other war games out there right now and outside of the odd conceptual abortion like the scyk, most ships are at least playable. Even finely tuned competitive squads have bad match ups, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The jumpmaster is a really cool ship with a lot of different viable builds that has a cool combination of upgrades. Same for the scum crew options.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Here's the thing, if I want to field a 40 point small base Rebel ship B-Wings already exist. Even from a casual level the ARC doesn't bring anything amazingly exciting to the table. Comboing Rebel astromechs and Rebel crew ain't that exciting a proposition, neither is a 2-red rear arc, and the new astromech stinks. The pilot abilities are okay, not great. Its dial is probably going to be pretty thoroughly mediocre. Even from a casual play perspective I don't consider it to be a cool new thing on the level of the Fang Fighter or what Imp Vets did for Defenders suddenly making an underutilized ship good and cool. I know that FFG is capable of doing better, which is why the ARC is as disappointing as it is.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I don't really care that much about Jumpmen 5000s, but if I see Palpatine across the table I have that little moment inside my brain where I go "well, it's going to be one of these games again."

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Dulkor posted:

There's a big difference between throwing out WAAC bullshit accusations at folks and acknowledging that some players just aren't going to care about the high tier competitive scene, folks. X Wing has balance issues, but they aren't anywhere near as egregious as 90% of the other war games out there right now and outside of the odd conceptual abortion like the scyk, most ships are at least playable. Even finely tuned competitive squads have bad match ups, after all.

Yeah but thats not whats being talked about, what everyone was talking about was 'hey we are talking about the competitive environment' then someone else jumps in with 'this build is great' and then someone else goes on to that saying 'that aint competitive at all wtc' and finally we hit the 'not all of use play competitive' post. The next step in every wargame discussion is a "smuggo top effort well some of you are just try hard players, fly casual smug'. Shitposts lead to anger, anger lead to spite buying, spite buying leads to GW.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Obi-Wan and Yoda crew cards as Palpatine counters please

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Obi-Wan and Yoda crew cards as Palpatine counters please

IG-88 crew card. Keeps shutting the turbolift doors on Sheev

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Kai Tave posted:

Here's the thing, if I want to field a 40 point small base Rebel ship B-Wings already exist. Even from a casual level the ARC doesn't bring anything amazingly exciting to the table. Comboing Rebel astromechs and Rebel crew ain't that exciting a proposition, neither is a 2-red rear arc, and the new astromech stinks. The pilot abilities are okay, not great. Its dial is probably going to be pretty thoroughly mediocre. Even from a casual play perspective I don't consider it to be a cool new thing on the level of the Fang Fighter or what Imp Vets did for Defenders suddenly making an underutilized ship good and cool. I know that FFG is capable of doing better, which is why the ARC is as disappointing as it is.

I do wish their pilot abilities were more splashing. Shara in general is just really disappointing. She's so boring. And Norra is...a lot of effort for something that requires you to roll well and use PTL. Maybe if instead of having to spend the TL it was like ATC and just required you to keep a lock, that'd be a bit better.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

kingcom posted:

Yeah but thats not whats being talked about, what everyone was talking about was 'hey we are talking about the competitive environment' then someone else jumps in with 'this build is great' and then someone else goes on to that saying 'that aint competitive at all wtc' and finally we hit the 'not all of use play competitive' post. The next step in every wargame discussion is a "smuggo top effort well some of you are just try hard players, fly casual smug'. Shitposts lead to anger, anger lead to spite buying, spite buying leads to GW.

Hm i might finally buy that snake-shooting ankylosaurus.

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Speaking of disappointing ships, since after Gencon there's no real XWing competition that matters for a while, I've been trying to make Imp Boba Great Again.

gently caress, Imp Boba is bad.

This is my most recent version:

Darth Vader (29)
Adaptability (0)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)
TIE/x1 (0)

Boba Fett (39)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Agent Kallus (2)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Slave I (0)

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (16)
Systems Officer (2)
Fleet Officer (3)
TIE Shuttle (0)

Total: 99

The systems/fleet officer + boba combo is much better than I thought it was going to be. Rolling into the initial engagement with focus evade, then focus/evade/TL is really good. Bomber stays with boba for a bit giving out focus + TL even for KTurns, then once he can't keep up switches to hanging out with Vader for a while.

Engine upgrade hasn't been very useful. Also did push and no mk2 on vader, but greens on firespray are atrocious.

Next attempt:
Conner nets on Boba

Darth Vader (29)
Adaptability (0)
TIE/x1 (0)

Boba Fett (39)
Adaptability (0)
Conner Net (4)
Agent Kallus (2)
Extra Munitions (2)
Slave I (0)

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (16)
Systems Officer (2)
Fleet Officer (3)
TIE Shuttle (0)

Total: 100

ALTERNATIVELY,
gently caress it, palpatine is pretty good:

Darth Vader (29)
Adaptability (0)
TIE/x1 (0)

Boba Fett (39)
Adaptability (0)
Agent Kallus (2)
Slave I (0)

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Emperor Palpatine (8)

Total: 100

Brunas fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 26, 2016

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Hm i might finally buy that snake-shooting ankylosaurus.

:siren: DO NOT GIVE GW MONEY :siren:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

IG-88 crew card. Keeps shutting the turbolift doors on Sheev

This is actually coming with the Shadow Caster based on preview images.

edit;

Eimi posted:

I do wish their pilot abilities were more splashing. Shara in general is just really disappointing. She's so boring. And Norra is...a lot of effort for something that requires you to roll well and use PTL. Maybe if instead of having to spend the TL it was like ATC and just required you to keep a lock, that'd be a bit better.

From a ~lore perspective~ I'm kind of annoyed that Poe's mom isn't a cool new A-Wing pilot to help give that ship a little more love, instead she's stuck flying a lovely Clone Wars ship because??????????

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 26, 2016

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

edit;

From a ~lore perspective~ I'm kind of annoyed that Poe's mom isn't a cool new A-Wing pilot to help give that ship a little more love, instead she's stuck flying a lovely Clone Wars ship because??????????

Cause shes a sister of battle.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
They should've given Poe's mom some relative of Poe's ability. I don't know what, exactly, but it would've been fun!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

General Battuta posted:

They should've given Poe's mom some relative of Poe's ability. I don't know what, exactly, but it would've been fun!

When attacking or defending, if you have a focus token, you may change 1 of your enemy's Hit or Evade results to a Focus.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 26, 2016

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kai Tave posted:

edit;

I don't really think the A-wing is in a bad place- greens, prototypes, and Jake are all very viable.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

:swoon:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Someone should run a game of X-wing with 1/72 scale models.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I got that for 25 dollars (free shipping from Japan). So...doable?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:arghfist::mad: Friend wasn't able to get a model when he went to Japan. Hope I get some when I go to HK later this year.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Someone in the FB mods/repaints group is doing just that. Got a huge amount of support from FFG and is running (or has already run?) the game as a demo for a convention.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

:arghfist::mad: Friend wasn't able to get a model when he went to Japan. Hope I get some when I go to HK later this year.
You should be able to get them from Amazon

EDIT: Also, I wouldn't recommend the Y-Wing, it's a nice model but it has a lot of tiny pipes

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Someone in the FB mods/repaints group is doing just that. Got a huge amount of support from FFG and is running (or has already run?) the game as a demo for a convention.

They should get the MWG guys to demo it.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Is the ARC maybe just throwing a rear-arc firing bone to rebels since Imps were getting the TIE/sf? I mean, the TIE/sf doesn't seem super special right now, i.e. doesn't seem able to replace existing aces.

It helps to sell the Tail Gunner card if nothing else.

Finster Dexter fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 26, 2016

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Was tooling around juggler and saw a rebel list of red ace, stresshog, and warden bomber won a 60 person tourney in Poland, beating trip scouts in the final. There was also an Eaden Vrill Autoblaster outrider in the top 4 :psyduck:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

TIE S/F can attack what, 4 times in one round for 29 points? Corran is like 48 and has to give up his attack the next round just to attack twice. TIE S/F is pretty cool.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

alg posted:

TIE S/F can attack what, 4 times in one round for 29 points? Corran is like 48 and has to give up his attack the next round just to attack twice. TIE S/F is pretty cool.

4 times? Maybe. but the stars would have to align perfectly for it to happen.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

alg posted:

Yeah, once per game, two if you're lucky, three if your opponent is literally asleep.

Don't even whine about Corrans cost. It's got a huge upside as fact that he's such a great safe points bank at the end game has won me championships lol

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

alg posted:

2 dice vs 3 though, and no way to modify all three attacks unless you do Accuracy Corrector, which is only useful when firing front and rear arc at the same time. Otherwise you're rolling 3 dice out the front, which is way stronger. And only the one named ace can possibly do this, and will likely only do it one time. Corran double taps many times per game, usually. Quickdraw will mainly be good at killing other Imp lists, his pilot ability is pretty crap against Jumpmasters or any large base ship with good HP. He's hilarious against soft Imp aces though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

hoiyes posted:

Was tooling around juggler and saw a rebel list of red ace, stresshog, and warden bomber won a 60 person tourney in Poland, beating trip scouts in the final. There was also an Eaden Vrill Autoblaster outrider in the top 4 :psyduck:

Yeah that list doesn't make any sense to me. Eaden Vrill with outrider cannot use his ability to roll an extra die, and the Hera VCX build in that list uses Collision Detector, which is not yet released. And he's got Luke Skywalker crew

Here's the list that went first in Swiss.
Glaive Squadron Pilot + TIE/x7 + Draw Their Fire
Glaive Squadron Pilot + TIE/x7 + Draw Their Fire
Colonel Vessery + TIE/x7 + Draw Their Fire
(100)

Interesting concept, I think. With all 3 ships near, the idea is to spread out any crits against hull onto a shielded ship to spread out the damage and minimize the effects of focus fire. Pretty clever, I'd say.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The Gate posted:

2 dice vs 3 though, and no way to modify all three attacks unless you do Accuracy Corrector, which is only useful when firing front and rear arc at the same time. Otherwise you're rolling 3 dice out the front, which is way stronger. And only the one named ace can possibly do this, and will likely only do it one time. Corran double taps many times per game, usually. Quickdraw will mainly be good at killing other Imp lists, his pilot ability is pretty crap against Jumpmasters or any large base ship with good HP. He's hilarious against soft Imp aces though.

Yes he is not exactly as good as Corran but for the cost and having absolutely no downsides to his ability, he is very interesting.

alg fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 26, 2016

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

alg posted:

Yes he is not exactly as good as Corran but for the cost and having absolutely no downsides to his ability, he is very interesting.

He has to take damage to use his ability, That's a downside.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I think the Rage/Baffles combo on Quickdraw will be the go to if you see him. Turrets are going to cause an issue for the SF's though. But that at least keeps him at only 31 points.

Thinking more on Fearlessness though, Scum Boba feels like he'll love that card. He already wants to get in close, two nice large arcs to use it on, rerolls for actionless offense, doesn't absolutely need VI or PtL.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

You should be able to get them from Amazon

EDIT: Also, I wouldn't recommend the Y-Wing, it's a nice model but it has a lot of tiny pipes

Oh, neat! The Y-wing was the one I wanted. I have a ~10yo fine molds kit of the x-wing already. I can't tell if it's as detailed since the painting was really superficial for the studio paintjob, but they'll look great together. The nice thing about tiny pipes is that I have a ton of plasticard pipes in case I ever lose one.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Who was talking about the X-wing/STAW tournament and how did that go? Besides poorly.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
So I'm going a tournament Friday. The format is TEAMS! Each player brings up to 50 points, combined to 100 points, and compete against other teams of 2.

I'm thinking of list building that would fit nicely into 50 point chunks. Thus far my ideas are 50 pt Bossk & Dengar, and standard HLC brobots. Any thoughts for something else that's fun that can be split into 50 point increments?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Who was talking about the X-wing/STAW tournament and how did that go? Besides poorly.

haha oh yeah, please spill all the hilarious details and nerd meltdowns

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

canyoneer posted:

So I'm going a tournament Friday. The format is TEAMS! Each player brings up to 50 points, combined to 100 points, and compete against other teams of 2.

I'm thinking of list building that would fit nicely into 50 point chunks. Thus far my ideas are 50 pt Bossk & Dengar, and standard HLC brobots. Any thoughts for something else that's fun that can be split into 50 point increments?

TLT y-wings

Oh you said fun... hmm

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Exactly 50 points each is really tough and obviates a lot of decent list options because there aren't many lists that break evenly into 50 point chunks. Expect a lot of brobots...

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
I used this list in TTS and it was a bunch of fun, and the ships are fairly independent of one another. Drop Inertial Dampeners from Dengar to make him 50: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/489468/tts-league-round-1

Also for the guy asking about the cost of the Canadian ships, theres like 34 ships there are so and the guy painted them for about $150, which is pretty good. He and I have been collaborating for awhile though so the prices are kinda skewed by that. Doesn't count buying them in the first place, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

• Locked thread