Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

armoredgorilla posted:

As much as I loved Beyond, the shaky cam during fight sequences was awful

I also did not care for that, but luckily I like the beats and shouting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I like that Starfleet ships apparently have some routine that teaches English to aliens who find the ship. If you think about it that would be a real concern in space salvage.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I like that the USS Franklin is named after Justin Lin's father, Frank.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So the new show's title will be shortened to STD.

Somebody's gettin' fired for that.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Good thing it's not airing on Syfy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rhyno posted:

No it won't. It should be DIS or DSC

We don't call the others STV or STDS9, so I don't see a reason to change the naming schemes for a joke.

:goonsay:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

ST: COV

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Star Trek: SVU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

WickedHate posted:

Star Trek: SVU

In Starfleet, shipboard offences are considered especially heinous. In the United Federation of Planets, the dedicated crew who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Starship Victims Unit. These are their voyages.

:doink:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
After that Discovery reveal, we're all starship victims

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The_Doctor posted:

In Starfleet, shipboard offences are considered especially heinous. In the United Federation of Planets, the dedicated crew who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Starship Victims Unit. These are their voyages.

:doink:

"Mr. Spock, you knew full well when you forced that meld on Valeris you could just call up Excelsior. So what was your real goal? Power? Dominance?"
"I--"
"ANSWER THE QUESTION, Mr. Spock! The meld was unnecessary, and you knew it... and yet you pressed on, through her suffering. You violated her. So I ask again... what did you want?"
"I just wanted to see inside her. Inside her mind. I never thought-- I didn't know--"
Spock looks around in panic, his steely Vulcan resolve melting into Human vulnerability.
"No further questions, Your Honor."

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

ST
STTAS
STTNG
STDS9
STV
STE

all acronyms used frequently.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
TOS
TAS
TNG
DS9
VOY
ENT
DSC

Those are the official acronyms.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

ST
STTAS
STTNG
STDS9
STV
STE

all acronyms used frequently.

I have never, ever seen those used as the acronyms for those shows

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

thexerox123 posted:

I have never, ever seen those used as the acronyms for those shows

:thejoke:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's going to be STD. CBS will do everything they can do undo this but it's too late.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I can't believe Idris Elba got wasted on a bad villain and now we'll never get him as Sisko in the inevitable ds9 reboot :negative:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gorman Thomas posted:

I can't believe Idris Elba got wasted on a bad villain and now we'll never get him as Sisko in the inevitable ds9 reboot :negative:

Considering Into Darkness and Hollywood as of late, my guess for Sisko would be Tom Hiddleston.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Hey man, if Marc Alaimo can be both Generic Cardassian Baddie and Gul Dukat, Elba can pull it off as well.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Marc Alaimo got really fussy with my friend at a bar and then gave her a rant about how underage drinking is a crime and what she was doing was illegal. She couldn't tell if he was doing a law obsessed dictator bit at first but he seemed genuine and upset that rules were being broken.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

HD DAD posted:

Hey man, if Marc Alaimo can be both Generic Cardassian Baddie and Gul Dukat, Elba can pull it off as well.

And random poker player in San Francisco in 1893 or whatever

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
How bad is Uplay, really? I want Future Soldier, but man, I just don't know. The reaction to Uplay required games is venomous.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

HD DAD posted:

Get Jon Hamm for Dukat. He's pretty much the Cardassian Don Draper.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Big Mean Jerk posted:

TOS
TAS
TNG
DS9
VOY
ENT
DSC

Those are the official acronyms.

None of those is an acronym.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The first three are (kinda anyways, you can pronounce the first two.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

armoredgorilla posted:

As much as I loved Beyond, the shaky cam during fight sequences was awful

:agreed:

I do appreciate that the in-close quick-cut shaky-cam thing is a valid technique to make action feel more visceral, and it can be very effective when used in moderation. This movie abused its shaky-cam privileges. They seriously needed to pull back and give us a wider shot now and then, both literally and metaphorically. Let us see where the hell we are and what the hell we're looking at, and maybe even let that make it clearer just what the good guys and bad guys are trying to do in this particular scene of running and exploding.

Hell, I kept waiting for a decent "beauty pass" of the Franklin -- I was curious about what details distinguish it from the NX class -- but we never even get one of those.

But really, these are minor quibbles. Overall I enjoyed myself. There were some great character moments, and I think I may finally be comfortable thinking of the new actors as being "valid" in these old familiar character roles.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah, the cast finally seems to have relaxed into the roles. The performances were far more natural than previous films and felt less like impressions of the original cast.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

It's the first of the new films that let them just BE the crew instead of hitting us over the head with a bunch of forced conflict amongst them. I really didn't realize how much I've just plain missed having a functioning Star Trek family on the screen, and how the last few movies have not scratched that itch.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I really didn't realize how much I've just plain missed having a functioning Star Trek family on the screen, and how the last few movies have not scratched that itch.

I have this problem with popular ensemble films in general these days. A bunch of people just working together without friction is one of the things I like best in movies.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

qntm posted:

I have this problem with popular ensemble films in general these days. A bunch of people just working together without friction is one of the things I like best in movies.

Despite its mediocrity, that is one of the things I liked about Ghostbusters 2016, too. Like, they all meet and get along great (mostly) and become great friends at the end of the movie. All these origin stories and team-up movies the last decade seemed fixated on milking cheap drama out of the coming-together of the group, with the explanation of "We've got to show the rough origins of the team" and all that. Like, that's fine but plenty of people get along from the get-go in real life, too. Sometimes you just want to see a fun team.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Anyone noticed yet that the Discovery design is clearly derived from the abandoned Star Trek Phase II 1977 concept?

edit: clearly late to the party.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 26, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ZShakespeare posted:

Anyone noticed yet that the Discovery design is clearly derived from the abandoned Star Trek Phase II 1977 concept?

Absolutely no one has posted about this at least 20 times.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Absolutely no one has posted about this at least 20 times.
Can I post about how the CGI looked worse than babylon 5 in 1994?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DOMDOM posted:

Can I post about how the CGI looked worse than babylon 5 in 1994?

Absolutely.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Can I post about how lego star wars was pretty good and lego star trek seems like a slam dunk even if the cg is obviously way more ambitious than they can handle?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Sadly Star Trek is licensed to the unworthy ptaQs at Mega Bloks.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Hey that rhymes!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There were meetings but Lucasfilm flexed their muscles to keep Trek out of the LEGO empire.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm planning on seeing Beyond tomorrow at the local theater that's always busy as hell, so I'm scouting out to see how many tickets were being sold for the 10:30 show tonight (the screen is 100% reserved seats so you can see what's sold in real time on the site.)

7 tickets were sold for the 10:30pm showing tonight. Ouch. I know it's a later showing on a weekday night, but it's still summer and the target demographic isn't back in school yet.

Well, I guess I don't have to worry about getting seats ahead of time tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

There were meetings but Lucasfilm flexed their muscles to keep Trek out of the LEGO empire.

I hope you're joking because this is actually pretty much what happened to kill off the classic Lego Space subthemes and if this is true also

I've never trusted Star Wars and I never will
I'll never forgive them for the death of my toys