Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Plus you have evil religious space AT&T (aka Comcast Comstar) killing anyone who even bothers to figure out how all that old tech works or trying to invent new stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think it's a bit more complicated than that. My understanding is that it would be like having an iPhone in the 1940s. You could probably figure out how to charge it, but making a new one is not going to happen.

Plus there's a war on and that phone has more processing power than the rest of the planet combined.

So I heard that tech analogy and I find it kinda misleading for whats going on. So the situation is that you have a old battlemech right, you didnt code its systems and the interface just uses Microsoft ME. Its a piece of poo poo interface and you dont have the source code for it and nobody you know has it AND the drivers have been deleted so you've had to take the driver software from a Hunchback and load it into the Hatchetman you have its close enough so hopefully it'll work out. Now you know that for some reason the driver just crashes and hard locks the mech if you move faster than 64kph and you cant rewrite the driver so the mech is just capped to that, oh well not a big deal. Also you have to hard lock the weapons grouping so that one of the medium lasers fires with the Autocannon otherwise the targetting system crashes for no reason. Okay so thats all a loving mess but you got some practice writing code and you built a exception handler for the movement to let you allow vertical movement without restriction meaning the jumpjets now work. However you found a whole new issue when the pilots started using it where swinging the axe if the engine temperature is too high just causes a bunch of the actuators to lock out. No idea why the Hunchback drivers would be rigged to do that unless it was maybe to prevent the hunchbacks shoulders from damaging the expensive AC20???? gently caress it who knows.

This is how 3025 works. You are all operating on a hosed up coding system, with nobody who built it around and being told to reconfigure everything beyond what it was meant to do and just loading on more functionality. Why does the atlas have a small laser in its head? Because otherwise the command console just hardlocks out thats why. Every engineer trying to hide this hosed up mess writes in the technical report that its for 'up close punch'. This is programmer code for 'Idk boss its hosed and I cant remove it'.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 26, 2016

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Are battle tech books as cool as the above post? I think know the answer :smith:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

kingcom posted:

So I heard that tech analogy and I find it kinda misleading for whats going on. So the situation is that you have a old battletech right, you didnt code its systems but the interface just uses Microsoft ME. Its a piece of sit interface and you dont have the source code for it and nobody you know has it AND the drivers have been deleted so you've had to take the driver software from a Hunchback and load it into the Hatchetman you have its close enough so hopefully it'll work out. Now you know that for some reason the driver just crashes and hard locks the mech if you move faster than 64kph and you cant rewrite the driver so the mech is just capped to that, oh well not a big deal. Also you have to hard lock the weapons grouping so that one of the medium lasers fires with the Autocannon otherwise the targetting system crashes for no reason. Okay so thats all a loving mess but you got some practice writing code and you built a exception handler for the movement to let you allow vertical movement without restriction meaning the jumpjets now work. However you found a whole new issue when the pilots started using it where swinging the axe if the engine temperature is too high just causes a bunch of the actuators to lock out. No idea why the Hunchback drivers would be rigged to do that unless it was maybe to prevent the hunchbacks shoulders from damaging the expensive AC20???? gently caress it who knows.

This is how 3025 works. You are all operating on a hosed up coding system, with nobody who built it around and being told to reconfigure everything beyond what it was meant to do and just loading on more functionality. Why does the atlas have a small laser in its head? Because otherwise the command console just hardlocks out thats why. Every engineer trying to hide this hosed up mess writes in the technical report that its for 'up close punch'. This is programmer code for 'Idk boss its hosed and I cant remove it'.
:vince: I dont know if its the hour or what but drat I got a good laugh out of this.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

The General posted:

Are battle tech books as cool as the above post? I think know the answer :smith:

Depends how you feel about MAN MADE LIGHTNING

Back Hack posted:

Plus you have evil religious space AT&T (aka Comcast Comstar) killing anyone who even bothers to figure out how all that old tech works or trying to invent new stuff.

Oh yeah I forgot about this. If you manage to actually build you're own code or fix any of the lovely drivers issues or undertake the herculian task of ripping out the garbage operating system that was installed for legal reasons in the first place, Microsoft Certification staff just shows up and murders you and blows up your lab.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 26, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

kingcom posted:

So I heard that tech analogy and I find it kinda misleading for whats going on. So the situation is that you have a old battletech right, you didnt code its systems but the interface just uses Microsoft ME. Its a piece of sit interface and you dont have the source code for it and nobody you know has it AND the drivers have been deleted so you've had to take the driver software from a Hunchback and load it into the Hatchetman you have its close enough so hopefully it'll work out. Now you know that for some reason the driver just crashes and hard locks the mech if you move faster than 64kph and you cant rewrite the driver so the mech is just capped to that, oh well not a big deal. Also you have to hard lock the weapons grouping so that one of the medium lasers fires with the Autocannon otherwise the targetting system crashes for no reason. Okay so thats all a loving mess but you got some practice writing code and you built a exception handler for the movement to let you allow vertical movement without restriction meaning the jumpjets now work. However you found a whole new issue when the pilots started using it where swinging the axe if the engine temperature is too high just causes a bunch of the actuators to lock out. No idea why the Hunchback drivers would be rigged to do that unless it was maybe to prevent the hunchbacks shoulders from damaging the expensive AC20???? gently caress it who knows.

This explains so much

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

kingcom posted:

Depends how you feel about MAN MADE LIGHTNING

Oh yeah I forgot about this. If you manage to actually build you're own code or fix any of the lovely drivers issues or undertake the herculian task of ripping out the garbage operating system that was installed for legal reasons in the first place, Microsoft Certification staff just shows up and murders you and blows up your lab.

Also someone is intercepting all your emails and easily hacking into your files at night and adding subtle mathematical errors and looping bugs to your code.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

kingcom posted:

It is impossible for this post to get enough love. Can someone close to Harebrained make sure they get a copy? It's so good.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bort Bortles posted:

:vince: I dont know if its the hour or what but drat I got a good laugh out of this.

It's not just you, I think we just found Michael A. Stackpole's cool brother.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I AM SO PUMPED FOR THIS GAME for real though, just finished dragonfall a few days ago and I like these people

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

Also someone is intercepting all your emails and easily hacking into your files at night and adding subtle mathematical errors and looping bugs to your code.

Oh yeah poo poo you're right. For 300 years the people responsible for murdering anyone who figures out this buggy piece of poo poo code is also the people who have complete access to your version control software and your code base lol. So microsoft irl.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I AM SO PUMPED FOR THIS GAME for real though, just finished dragonfall a few days ago and I like these people

The devs produce seriously fun and quality products on a relatively shoestring budget. They are basically the main reason I have any confidence in kickstarter.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 26, 2016

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

kingcom posted:

The devs produce seriously fun and quality products on a relatively shoestring budget. They are basically the main reason I have any confidence in kickstarter.

They always seem super pumped whenever they talk to the public as well. It comes across really well.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i'm seriously so god damned bored with games in general but Returns and Dragonfall were simple enough but scratched the right itches. I'm getting pretty OLD (33 lol) that I feel like HBS caters more to my demographic than whatever the new hotness is. If we only ended up with some rehashed MechCommander I'd probably be happy.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

i'm seriously so god damned bored with games in general but Returns and Dragonfall were simple enough but scratched the right itches. I'm getting pretty OLD (33 lol) that I feel like HBS caters more to my demographic than whatever the new hotness is. If we only ended up with some rehashed MechCommander I'd probably be happy.

I think the industry is on board with this. Look at how many games now have a dad protagonist, from the Last of Us to Witcher 3 to The Dadliest Catch and that game where you run frantically around your house childproofing it while the other player as the baby tries its hardest to injure itself. I'm 35 and have tons of games that have new and interesting things, or fresh takes on old things, sitting in my steam list. That's not even counting games that you can play with the kids. It's a good time to be a thirtysomething who likes games.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Phrosphor posted:

They always seem super pumped whenever they talk to the public as well. It comes across really well.

I really appreciate this about harebrained. The Shadowrun games turned out so well because these guys are so excited about doing Shadowrun games, poo poo let's do 3 more.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

wiegieman posted:

I really appreciate this about harebrained. The Shadowrun games turned out so well because these guys are so excited about doing Shadowrun games, poo poo let's do 3 more.

exactly, i dont feel like these dudes chased trends or whatever, but just wanted to make a faithful, albeit somewhat modernized games, which is why i look forward to this battletech game.

what was the last major battletech game? the ones on the xbox one the actual first xbox? those were fun but silly as gently caress.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

exactly, i dont feel like these dudes chased trends or whatever, but just wanted to make a faithful, albeit somewhat modernized games, which is why i look forward to this battletech game.

what was the last major battletech game? the ones on the xbox one the actual first xbox? those were fun but silly as gently caress.

MechAssault 2 on the Xbox, unless you want to count MWO

The best thing about HB is these IPs are ones they created long ago, and now they can use what advances in video games have come to make them shine

Still waiting on a current gen Crimson Skies though. That would get all my money as quickly as BT did (pledged that poo poo Day 1)

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Beefeater1980 posted:

I think the industry is on board with this. Look at how many games now have a dad protagonist, from the Last of Us to Witcher 3 to The Dadliest Catch and that game where you run frantically around your house childproofing it while the other player as the baby tries its hardest to injure itself. I'm 35 and have tons of games that have new and interesting things, or fresh takes on old things, sitting in my steam list. That's not even counting games that you can play with the kids. It's a good time to be a thirtysomething who likes games.

Keep talking and nobody explodes is a great game to play with kids. Just wish you could exclude specific modules for free play.

And a Mechcommander style game would be pretty awesome. Actually I'm not sure it would be hard to reskin shadowrun to battletech. I know nothing of this project at all (I thought I was in traditional games when I clicked the thread). But the fact the shadowrun people are doing it gives me hope. You can really tell they love what they do. Returns was far from perfect, but it was polished and a lot of care went into it.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I want a Battletech game where you are a commander of a force of various Battlemechs, Aerotech vehicles, various tanks and hovercraft with your own base.

Then you go out and kick rear end and salvage stuff.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Koorisch posted:

I want a Battletech game where you are a commander of a force of various Battlemechs, Aerotech vehicles, various tanks and hovercraft with your own base.

I have somewhat good news for you!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Koorisch posted:

So... Supreme Commander?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

One other thing I appreciate is they did their homework in terms of looking at games that did similar stuff, which is not really reliable in the throwback games business, and it sucks getting a game in a setting that's awesome that's making mistakes that had solutions ten years ago. I also appreciate this about Pillars, which is probably the best dnd type game around mechanically.

Plus the current composer for dragonfall and Hong Kong is a genius.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

kingcom posted:

So I heard that tech analogy and I find it kinda misleading for whats going on. So the situation is that you have a old battlemech right, you didnt code its systems and the interface just uses Microsoft ME. Its a piece of poo poo interface and you dont have the source code for it and nobody you know has it AND the drivers have been deleted so you've had to take the driver software from a Hunchback and load it into the Hatchetman you have its close enough so hopefully it'll work out. Now you know that for some reason the driver just crashes and hard locks the mech if you move faster than 64kph and you cant rewrite the driver so the mech is just capped to that, oh well not a big deal. Also you have to hard lock the weapons grouping so that one of the medium lasers fires with the Autocannon otherwise the targetting system crashes for no reason. Okay so thats all a loving mess but you got some practice writing code and you built a exception handler for the movement to let you allow vertical movement without restriction meaning the jumpjets now work. However you found a whole new issue when the pilots started using it where swinging the axe if the engine temperature is too high just causes a bunch of the actuators to lock out. No idea why the Hunchback drivers would be rigged to do that unless it was maybe to prevent the hunchbacks shoulders from damaging the expensive AC20???? gently caress it who knows.

This post is cool and good.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It meshes well with the Helm Memory Core.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Taerkar posted:

It meshes well with the Helm Memory Core.

Storywise, I'd love for that to never have been found. It'd make things so much more interesting when the Clans show up.

From a mechanical standpoint it sort of needed to appear though. There wasn't much else to do with the current tech unless they started just making modified versions of existing tech for very little edge.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Butte Hold?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

:vince:
It happened.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

My God. Its full of goons.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
If you're a backer, you have a KS update with a private you tube link with "Super pre-alpha" gameplay, to show what it looks like, they'll be bringing it to GenCon, and they are reopening a couple levels for late backers and addons.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

SirFozzie posted:

If you're a backer, you have a KS update with a private you tube link with "Super pre-alpha" gameplay, to show what it looks like, they'll be bringing it to GenCon, and they are reopening a couple levels for late backers and addons.

Oh my god it looks so good. :flashfap:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Its looking pretty drat sweet indeed.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Can confirm looks cool and good.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 4, 2016

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

That double headshot... :ohdear:

It looks like what we all want, though melee is still being worked on. Right now, it's a proper MechCommander 3

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

:getin:

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
The headshot thing is kind of old school, I know I'll be playing on veteran difficulty or whatever but I'll still be reloading whenever I lose a pilot. Shouldn't make pilots hard to level if headshots can kill them easily and at random like that.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

Washout posted:

The headshot thing is kind of old school, I know I'll be playing on veteran difficulty or whatever but I'll still be reloading whenever I lose a pilot. Shouldn't make pilots hard to level if headshots can kill them easily and at random like that.

:xcom:

Oh wait, wrong thread.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Since it has already been linked elsewhere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjEeDz51pHE

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Since it has already been linked elsewhere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjEeDz51pHE

That moment when your pristine mech goes down to head cap.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Looks like they're doing some XCOM with movement/attack- you can move a short distance and attack, or a long distance and not. That's a good thing rather than something more complicated.

I do like that turns are not 'my turn- their turn', it's all about weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I like the commando (with a little help) killing a marauder with smart flanking and turn order shenanigans. And the headcap. Wouldn't be Battletech without headcaps.

• Locked thread