Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
For what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

ManSedan posted:

I've read that when HoT came out, Mastery stuff gated content and such and basically meant you played your upgraded class after you've done everything. Has this changed at all?

You can easily unlock your entire elite specialization now before you've finished all the content (even though there's still not much of it in HoT) and a goon runs a hero point train every tuesday through the maps that will give you enough hero points for the entire thing, as well as a ton of exp for masteries (it's a very good time to use your exp boosts).

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Waci posted:

For what?

Anything really, mostly PvE I guess.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/757693328251056128

Confirmed, Ley Line Gliding required to play Season 3 Living Story.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Have they said if Season 3 will be like S2 with regards to having it be added to your quest log and then you can play whenever? I have like no mastery points and only have updrafts trained.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Humerus posted:

Have they said if Season 3 will be like S2 with regards to having it be added to your quest log and then you can play whenever? I have like no mastery points and only have updrafts trained.

Yeah if I'm not mistaken that's how it's going to work.

Would goons be interested in a mastery point train at some point? I can hop on board my mesmer and run around with people and portal folks to mastery points they can't reach otherwise and in general play tour guide. There's ~40 mastery points to be had running around grabbing strongboxes and communing with mastery insight points, it's enough to get all the really important masteries (the whole glider tree, blazing speed mushrooms, and nuhoch wallows is 40 mastery points on the dot).

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 25, 2016

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.

Humerus posted:

It will function exactly like that, supposedly. The only requirement to play and complete them is owning Heart of Thorns. You can still unlock the episodes if you don't own HoT, so long as you log in during the episode's release window.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm hoping they will do more of those one-time events like the Karka event, even if it means some people will miss them and be angry - hell, even if I miss it and will be angry. I want the MMO aspect to be there instead of doing the whole LS in story instances with myself and maybe 3 NPC's at a time.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Thanks for the various replies, fellow internet nerds.

One more question for anyone who's used the level 80 boost: will the equipment that I get from the boost be decent enough to just hop into storylines, such as season 3?

E: also how's Revenant now?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

ManSedan posted:

Thanks for the various replies, fellow internet nerds.

One more question for anyone who's used the level 80 boost: will the equipment that I get from the boost be decent enough to just hop into storylines, such as season 3?

It gives you a set of exotics with soldiers stats for most classes. Certainly good enough to do any open world or living story stuff.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Azazell0 posted:

I'm hoping they will do more of those one-time events like the Karka event, even if it means some people will miss them and be angry - hell, even if I miss it and will be angry. I want the MMO aspect to be there instead of doing the whole LS in story instances with myself and maybe 3 NPC's at a time.

They could do a neat middleground by having there be some reasonably significant bonus for doing them on time and with other people.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Azazell0 posted:

This is some weird kind of mmo masochism I think

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

ManSedan posted:

Revenant is (and has been) great. It got a couple of nerfs since release but is still really strong and valuable to parties.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like more events that I can do with people instead of a lovely garbage story by myself.

They just need to find a good middleground for it.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Magres posted:

Would goons be interested in a mastery point train at some point? I can hop on board my mesmer and run around with people and portal folks to mastery points they can't reach otherwise and in general play tour guide. There's ~40 mastery points to be had running around grabbing strongboxes and communing with mastery insight points, it's enough to get all the really important masteries (the whole glider tree, blazing speed mushrooms, and nuhoch wallows is 40 mastery points on the dot).

Yes.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

scarlet's invasion of LA was probably the best of both worlds, if not a bit grindy, but it was fairly fun the first few times around.

the funny thing is the LS2 eps could probably turned into mini dungeons, as they have some neat boss encounters

but I see what they're doing with the story, they want people to be able to experience it in solo que- oh wait raids have story now lol

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I'd love to gain some mastery points The Easy Way

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Magres posted:

I would loving love this.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Let's do it Thursday! I'll go dig up some guides to mastery points and we can run around and grab points.

:siren: :frogsiren: Thursday at 6pm PST (9pm EST) be online if you want to do a mastery point train. Squadjoin on Nerdremoth, I'll have a squad up and open. Doing all 40 points shouldn't take longer than ~2 hours. :frogsiren: :siren:

Don't worry about masteries for getting to things, I'll portal people around as needed. If you've got a level 80 Mesmer, please bring it and be ready to help portal people!

(Fair warning, Updrafts are more or less strictly required for a couple points, cause they require gliding from Updraft to updraft over long distances that cannot be portaled, iirc)

Magres fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 26, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

One day there will be a late night hero train for Pacific :(

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

CLAM DOWN posted:

One day there will be a late night hero train for Pacific :(

And one that eurogoons can join :(

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Magres posted:

Let's do it Thursday! I'll go dig up some guides to mastery points and we can run around and grab points.

:siren: :frogsiren: Thursday at 6pm PST (9pm EST) be online if you want to do a mastery point train. Squadjoin on Nerdremoth, I'll have a squad up and open. Doing all 40 points shouldn't take longer than ~2 hours. :frogsiren: :siren:

Don't worry about masteries for getting to things, I'll portal people around as needed. If you've got a level 80 Mesmer, please bring it and be ready to help portal people!

(Fair warning, Updrafts are more or less strictly required for a couple points, cause they require gliding from Updraft to updraft over long distances that cannot be portaled, iirc)

Aww yeah, Thursdays are when I have no work!

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

my hero point strategy was to go to all of the hero points i need and get them

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Dreggon posted:

my hero point strategy was to go to all of the hero points i need and get them

Some people just want to chill and have a good time. Not everyone can just pop into some MLG pro strat like a pair of socks.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
At what level does engineer start putting poo poo down and not just using guns?

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/757693328251056128

Confirmed, Ley Line Gliding required to play Season 3 Living Story.

:suicide:

Also esportz!

Aug 24, 2011

is this what custom arenas are like

also pve news holy poo poo elementalist is getting gutted. time to roll fresh air unless you really need a staff

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
are you reading some patch notes or something? where's this ele news coming from

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Dreggon posted:

is this what custom arenas are like

also pve news holy poo poo elementalist is getting gutted. time to roll fresh air unless you really need a staff

There are reported nerfs to Overload Air too, gotta wait and see.

If anything these nerfs are just going to expose the Staff Eles who think they do "good enough" and turn them into poo poo tier DPS while those at the top still hold an edge. I'm not quite sure how I feel about that.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

nickhimself posted:

are you reading some patch notes or something? where's this ele news coming from

People manually scouring the skills API.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
New zone.

Aug 24, 2011

Visidan posted:

New zone.

bloodstone fen

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Aw I hope they don't nerf ele. Good thing I got my viper necro kitted out just in time right???? :smith:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Oh gently caress yes reports via the API that every +5 stat/+5 Agony Resist infusion is being bumped up to +5/+9, including Ghostly and SAB, please be true so hyyyype

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Which race/gender is everyone's favourite voice actor?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Visidan posted:

New zone.

DETAILS, FUCKER

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

DETAILS, FUCKER

TenTon Hammer compared it to Southsun Cove size-wise and that it had "verticality" like Dry Top, so ... hyped for a new zone, but hopefully the navigation won't be a pain in the rear end. Also Southsun is tiny.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:MNUJX6clARAJ:https://www.tentonhammer.com/articles/guild-wars-2-hands-on-with-living-world-season-3+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=nz

The article got removed because they jumped the gun a bit.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 26, 2016

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Azazell0 posted:

TenTon Hammer compared it to Southsun Cove size-wise and that it had "verticality" like Dry Top, so ... hyped for a new zone, but hopefully the navigation won't be a pain in the rear end. Also Southsun is tiny.

[url]https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:MNUJX6clARAJ:https://www.tentonhammer.com/articles/guild-wars-2-hands-on-with-living-world-season-3+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=nz[/url]

The article got removed because they jumped the gun a bit.

Relevant bit:

quote:

So what about Living World Season 3? Well, it’s both familiar and as instantly moreish as it has always been. The new zone, Bloodstone Fen, is truly beautiful with the sky teeming with warped portals and electricity. As the epicenter of the explosion that was revealed in the teaser trailer, it’s your responsibility to discover the cause and why the White Mantle are there: like any good mystery, you'll want to know the answer.

What I’ve particularly enjoyed about Bloodstone Fen is that it feels a lot like some of the earlier zones in Orr. It’s filled with independent events not necessarily bound by a chain, that you can dip and out of. The zone might not be enormous and is roughly the size of Southsun Cove, but it has verticality and a new set of combat skills you can use for your Glider. Due to limited time I rarely got chance to use these skills in an event (dropping bombs has never been unsatisfying) but suspect they'll play a major part on several events. Having another map that’s fun and exciting is never a bad thing and while it’s not rewriting the rulebook when it comes to Guild Wars 2’s map design, it’s a welcome addition to the landmass. I’m looking forward to seeing how these new Glider skills eventually play out when hundreds of players (as opposed to our small playtest crew) utilise them.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I really like the fact that finally there's a non-core zone where EVERY drat EVENT IN THE MAP is not tied to some map wide meta event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

CLAM DOWN posted:

DETAILS, FUCKER

As big as southsun but vertical like vb, new gliding attacks to use on enemies (dropping bombs etc) Closer to the core zones than the new ones event wise.

• Locked thread