Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vaishino
Nov 14, 2003

He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds

Bobulus posted:

It's true. That noise really doesn't match its intended purpose. My only guess is that some designer wanted a really attention-getting noise so people wouldn't leave their card behind.

When the chip machines came out here, we'd routinely have 6+ cards left behind every day, and the banks required us to destroy the cards within 48 hours.

It's loud and attention-getting for exactly that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (July 2, 1951)

Barnaby (December 7, 1942)

Nancy (August 16, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (April 29, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (May 14, 1923)

Barney Google (May 15, 1922)

Alley Oop (August 14, 1933)

Lil' Abner (January 11, 1937)

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbursts of Everett True

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Gross Exaggerations (click for big)

The Gay Thirties (November, 1934)

Mopsy

They’ll Do It Everytime (October, 1939)

Feiffer (click for big)

Jaf

Wee Pals (click for big) (September, 1970)

Mr. Tweedy

Andy Capp (click for big)

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mark Trail Meets... You Know What, I Don't Even Know. Look at This loving Thing. Look at It. Someone Was Paid to Draw This.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Slammy posted:

They’ll Do It Everytime (October, 1939)

Man, many contributors, you are going to hate how they handle local televised games in seventy years.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Me, looking at the comic strip megathread:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Slammy posted:

Gross Exaggerations (click for big)

Hardcore. If the inevitable flip-and-drag doesn't kill this guy, the chemical burns from the cement will.

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

Johnny Walker posted:

Secret Agent X-9

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Make-a-Wish foundation got my letter!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (May 27, 1929)

Loss, Regret, Despair, and Dessert (Featuring Good Ol' Charlie Brown) (July 21, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Wally looks like he's trying to not have an episode.

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (August 9-10, 1929)

Thimble Theater (February 11, 1930)

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Is it wrong that I kind of like the dad character?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Vaishino posted:

When the chip machines came out here, we'd routinely have 6+ cards left behind every day, and the banks required us to destroy the cards within 48 hours.

It's loud and attention-getting for exactly that reason.

The transaction won't complete and print the receipt unless you take your card over here, it's almost impossible to forget your card unless the person running the till isn't paying attention.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Is it wrong that I kind of like the dad character?

Nah, he's okay.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

Note that it looks like Lester just copied and pasted the bartender. :effort:
It looks to me like Lester copy & pasted everything in that strip except the parts like the arms that were moving. The vacationer (other than his mouth), the coconut mug, the counter, all of them appear to be exactly the same.

I don't think that's what most strips do now but I bet it will become more common in a short time.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Yes, in a shocking turn of events that no one could have predicted, Joe Giella has "retired from drawing Mary Worth." I am surprised no one noticed the fanfare the syndicate allowed this longtime artist to include in his final strip:

A big-hearted bunch, those syndicate people.

Anyways, here is a look back at some of the many faces of Giella's Mary Worth:

We'll miss you, Joe!

Yes, really!

Seriously though, I make fun but I'll miss him.

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

I'll admit it's been a long time since Mary Worth got me to double take. Goodbye, Joe Giella, you made everyone look like the same old woman wearing different wigs and that was certainly a thing. Your legacy is one of overwhelming consistency, which at least puts you above Jam Esallen.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

We are blessed.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SomeMathGuy posted:

I'll admit it's been a long time since Mary Worth got me to double take. Goodbye, Joe Giella, you made everyone look like the same old woman wearing different wigs and that was certainly a thing. Your legacy is one of overwhelming consistency, which at least puts you above Jam Esallen.

And he put all the effort his aging body could into following Moy's script which puts him above Frank Bolle.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Well I for one hope this isn't the start of an ugly trend of putting competent artists on the comics page. For shame!

I Wish I Were Gary Larson, or, Foolish Mortals

Curse of the Undead! or, Scary Gary

Moving. Spiritually enriching. Sublime. “High” art, or, Gasoline Alley

Phoebe and her Unicorn, or, Heavenly Nostrils

Descent into Madness, or, Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Best Comic in the Thread, or, Cul de Sac

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Odonata posted:

Ye Olde Fox Trot

I rather like the between-panels spit take.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
...he's destined to become Richard Nixon, apparently. Possibly gamma-irradiated HULK NIXON.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mark Trail Meets... You Know What, I Don't Even Know. Look at This loving Thing. Look at It. Someone Was Paid to Draw This.

He's just missing Rip-Haywire-worthy jaw

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

yesssssssssssssssss

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I knew it was coming, but I wasn't ready for fulltime New Mary Worth Art. Goodbye, melty faces and beatific shock panels. I will miss you.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wow, I actually got that reference. Well played.

The Classic Dinette Set knows that image is important.

Working Daze still thinks Pokemon Go jokes are funny.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix does have a valid point.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Oh me oh my. Whoever will they find to take her daddy's place.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

Oooh... ouch.

The Heart of Juliet Jones

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

Dear Greg Evans, please take note, here we have a protagonist who is facing consequences from some of their long-running character-flaws, and while we feel bad for them, they get a chance to learn and grow beyond the confines they existed in before.

Rather than every action of theirs being nothing but praiseworthy, and drama being drawn from a pool of sitcom cliches, and 2d villains, the conflict they face is real and difficult. This is what writers who are not complete hacks do with very similar teen-girl gag-a-day strips.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Johnny Walker posted:

Anyways, here is a look back at some of the many faces of Giella's Mary Worth:

We'll miss you, Joe!

Yes, really!

Seriously though, I make fun but I'll miss him.

Who was it that was collecting derp eyes in this thread? Does anyone have that composite they posted as a work in progress?

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

It's funny because Evan's art is so bland, Brad's expression and stilted pose can be read as either "awww, poor kiddo, what can I do?" OR "awww, I'm gonna get saddled with raising this kid when I marry Toni, aren't I?"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

ikanreed posted:

Dear Greg Evans, please take note, here we have a protagonist who is facing consequences from some of their long-running character-flaws, and while we feel bad for them, they get a chance to learn and grow beyond the confines they existed in before.

Rather than every action of theirs being nothing but praiseworthy, and drama being drawn from a pool of sitcom cliches, and 2d villains, the conflict they face is real and difficult. This is what writers who are not complete hacks do with very similar teen-girl gag-a-day strips.

The sad thing is Luann used to be hailed as a revolutionary comic strip for talking about stuff like the title character having her first period.

Also :

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Brad and Toni need to adopt Shannon so that Evans can continue to keep them as pure non-sexhaving Good Guys.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Reply All

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

It could be that, or they forgot to restock the TP before the flight.

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine Meets the Modern Sisyphus

The Phantom

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Tomorrow's strip better be Heloise complaining to an RA to get a transfer.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If this goes down the path of Heloise getting kidnapped after blabbin in her sleep, Phantom had better go bust her out only to find she's already taken care of the Nomad.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Truly this has been a great day for the FOOB thread :patriot:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

If Les steps up to the plate, leaving Bwad to stand there like an impotent dork, I will clap my hands in glee like a little child.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

lol this is what you get for heteronormatively indoctrinating your child :robocop:

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Ms Boods posted:

If Les steps up to the plate, leaving Bwad to stand there like an impotent dork, I will clap my hands in glee like a little child.

quote:

Yes, Toni could ask the man with the guitar as he does seem to fit Shannon’s definition of a “Duo”. He plays guitar and he’s a boy/man. Or, since the idea of air guitar has been thrown out there, any guy will do. Even Brad…

quote:

That guy with the guitar to the rescue!! It lets her do the show, but the fundamental issue of parental neglect still remains. It’s late, so I am hitting the sack, but I am sure the blog will discuss that and other points fully.
What blog?

quote:

It is truly stupid for Brad to play air guitar here, when the guitarist could actually play the song. (If he is at all skilled in music, he can play a trivial ditty like that one by ear.) Having Brad strum the guitar, obviously not playing it, while the song is piped in over the speaker would just make the audience laugh, which would he a terrible experience for Shannon.

quote:

It looks like this is set up so Brad will have to step in. To me, that’s kind of disappointing. Brad hasn’t shown any musical interest or ability during the year or so that I’ve been following this ‘toon. I think you need a basic sense of rhythm even for air guitar. I actually have to agree with Seismic, that Brad’s participation might make the audience think the act was a comic act, not a dance act. Being laughed at wouldn’t help Shannon right now.

quote:

“You’d Better Duet!”
“I Mean You No Harmony!”
“Impromptu, Brutei?”
“The Dynamic Do-Over”
“Fiddler On The Spoof”
“I’d Like To Speak To Your Improvisor!”
“Home On The Arrangement” (♬)
“Something Borrowed, Something Pru”
“Guitarred And Feathered”
“Pulling A Few Strings”
“Strum And Poke The Coda” (♬)