Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
You know whenever you hear a news story about something you know a lot about, and they get everything wrong? That's how the news is with everything, but you usually don't realize it.

"I love card games. Ever heard of Cards Against Humanity?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's the boardgame equivalent of comic book news posts.

BIFF ZAM POW Comics aren't for children anymore!

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CaptainRightful posted:

A Facebook friend just posted an NPR article about the "board game boom" and boy do they have their finger on the pulse! Written July 24, 2016, it focuses on Unexploded Cow, a 15-year-old game ranked #2712 on BGG.

I believe it 100%, but our local affiliate (DC's WYPR) did a feature on them over the winter, and it was really good. They had local designers, a board game cafe owner, and their arts and culture correspondent on the panel. They talked about things like Wits and Wagers, and Twilight Struggle, and generally gave really good advice for getting into the hobby.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Local NPR affiliates are generally a lot better than NPR proper. The one for Detroit, WDET, does excellent culture and political segments.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
Yeah I love Minnesota Public Radio but mostly avoid NPR proper.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/25/mansions-of-madness-second-edition/

First FFG GenCon reveal is posted. Mansions of Madness 2nd Ed. App-driven, seems like Road to Legend. Works with all your 1st Edition Investigators, Monsters, and map tiles too!

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

CaptainRightful posted:

A Facebook friend just posted an NPR article about the "board game boom" and boy do they have their finger on the pulse! Written July 24, 2016, it focuses on Unexploded Cow, a 15-year-old game ranked #2712 on BGG.

Interesting that they went with such a niche title from a niche publisher. I have a bunch of the old Cheapass Games, and even I don't have Unexploded Cow.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

al-azad posted:

It's the boardgame equivalent of comic book news posts.

BIFF ZAM POW Comics aren't for children anymore!

WOW! Your old baseball cards could be worth something!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Jason Albert set the bar too high so the rest of them don't even bother: https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...f484_story.html

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

T-Bone posted:

Jason Albert set the bar too high so the rest of them don't even bother: https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...f484_story.html

I'm a level 3 insurgent!

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

foxxtrot posted:

Interesting that they went with such a niche title from a niche publisher. I have a bunch of the old Cheapass Games, and even I don't have Unexploded Cow.

Looks like the author is based in Seattle, so she probably met him at a dinner party or something and thought the outrageously wacky concept would garner a few clicks and shares (which it did).

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

pbpancho posted:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/25/mansions-of-madness-second-edition/

First FFG GenCon reveal is posted. Mansions of Madness 2nd Ed. App-driven, seems like Road to Legend. Works with all your 1st Edition Investigators, Monsters, and map tiles too!

August 4th!

I personally can't wait, i always had a love for the original Mansions but the set up time was to much of a hassle a majority of the time. Plus being able to convert all your old stuff is neat.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

pbpancho posted:

Ooooh. MoM is actually the FFG 1 vs many game I have the least issue with playing the adversarial role*, but an app-driven full coop experience should still be a great fit.

*It's not balanced, don't get me wrong, but there's several reasons that feels less problematic to me than in Descent or even Imperial Assault. For one thing, it's not a campaign game so there's no snowball effect. Furthermore, the Overlord and to a lesser extent the Imperial player in the other two games get shittier and more boring progression schemes than the heroic version, so not having a progression mechanic at all spares that bit of imbalance between the relative fun value of each side. And of course, the source material quite regularly ends in the horrible demise of the investigators, whereas the heroes getting slaughtered is out of genre for fantasy or space fantasy.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Some of my gaming pals like Betrayal (which I have successfully avoided playing, thus far).

Would Mansions of Madness serve as a suitable replacement/improvement?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

CaptainRightful posted:

This must be where the newest 'board game cafe' here got their inspiration.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
If it's anything like the quality of Descent 2nd Edition Road to Legend as a co-op game this is a day 1 buy for me.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

canyoneer posted:

Some of my gaming pals like Betrayal (which I have successfully avoided playing, thus far).

Kinda. It's a much better game than Betrayal, and may even qualify as a good one with the 2nd edition, who knows. It won't have the loony variety of scenarios, but there's still a reasonable amount in the current edition and more thematic consistency. It plays much longer, especially with setup time. YMMV. I'd substitute it for Betrayal any day of the week myself, but whether others would kind of depends on what specifically appeals about Betrayal to them.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Betrayal does have the advantage of much quicker and easier setup and rules in general, of which one should not underestimate the importance when stuck playing these kinds of games.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
People in this thread talk about Keyflower so much I was hoping to get more input when I asked about expansions.

On a side note I finally pulled the trigger for Dominant Species. I've been eyeing it for years, and now that I have a solid weekly board game group I think I can get it to the table. I hope it's as good as it sounds.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, I was eager to hear about the Keyflower expansions as well, but maybe they're just obscure and haven't been played much?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I have the expansions, but have never actually gotten them to the table yet. The base game has plenty of longevity on its own, we were only just getting to the point of thinking about adding expansions by the time some other game came along.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
By the time I had played the base game enough to warrant getting an expansion, I'd heard enough opinions, like those from the previous page, to put me off of getting Merchants. Farmers I was never interested in because I think the game is less good with more players, and I consistently hear that Farmers is better with more players.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

canyoneer posted:

You might wanna hold out on getting Mansions of Madness because FFG is redoing it (with app-driven AI)

I am cautiously optimistic about this

[edit] welp I missed that link up there. Anyway, let this serve as a reminder not to get the first edition.

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 26, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The first edition got flack when it was released for being $80 for only five scenarios. This is $100 for four scenarios.

Mansions of Madness had a lot of flaws I'd like to see fixed but "it's not a pure coop game" wasn't one of them.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Got Arkwright coming in tomorrow. Anyone have suggestions regarding the rules for 2nd edition? I didn't play the first. Is the manual good or should I look this bad boy up on the internet.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Impermanent posted:

Got Arkwright coming in tomorrow. Anyone have suggestions regarding the rules for 2nd edition? I didn't play the first. Is the manual good or should I look this bad boy up on the internet.

The manual is good, the only difference is they added new tiles in the 2nd edition, but the rules are otherwise the same. I recommend skipping the Spinning Jenny starting game and going straight to Waterframe. Main thing when you're learning it is to make sure you really understand how supply/demand works.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The first edition got flack when it was released for being $80 for only five scenarios. This is $100 for four scenarios.

Mansions of Madness had a lot of flaws I'd like to see fixed but "it's not a pure coop game" wasn't one of them.

Its main flaw was with how the gamemaster was implemented; this does fix that issue.

We'll have to see how replayable the scenarios are; technically, vanilla Pandemic only has one scenario but that seems to do well all the same.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The thing about the scenarios in the 1st edition of Mansions of Madness is that they're supposed to be mysteries. The three different versions of each scenario helps some, but fundamentally, when the adventurers know what traps are coming and where to get the stuff they need, it loses a lot. This new edition might be able to mix things up more inside a single scenario. And of course it's much easier to release new scenarios (with the same components) digitally.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

bobvonunheil posted:

Its main flaw was with how the gamemaster was implemented; this does fix that issue.

The balance was a mess in a lot of aspects, not just in how the game master worked. There were scenarios that just weren't winnable because the path the investigators needed to travel was longer than their move speed times the number of turns in the game. Some investigators had starting items that let you take two actions per turn, while others had starting items that were unintentionally worse than no item at all. In theory there were multiple ways to assign each investigator's stats, but the designers didn't realize that not all stats are equally valuable, so choices like +2 willpower (tested constantly whenever you see a monster) or +2 lore (tested almost never except for casting spells) for non-spellcaster characters weren't choices at all. Cultists were intended to be weak, cheap, token-like monsters used as sacrifices to summon bigger monsters, but they hit just as hard as everything else and their attacks were extra-hard to dodge so often they would straight-up kill you without any help. And then there were the awful alchemy puzzles...

Removing the game master means some of the broken elements won't work anymore, but if they haven't learned their lessons from first edition the game will still be a broken mess, and depending on how the AI works opens the door to new problems. For example, investigators actually wanted to die early in the game in first edition, because they would respawn at full health with no real penalty, and this was balanced by the keeper being able to choose not to kill them if they tried to suicide. If the AI doesn't know that it shouldn't kill them and they haven't fixed the rules to make suicide no longer desirable, get ready for mass suicides every game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pandemic is also a highly variable game but I haven't played MoM so I can't comment on it. But when you say scenario I think Imperial Assault which at least gives the DM a lot of customization options upfront.

e: What's the correct version of Tash Kalar to get? I know the Z-Man edition has bad components but the copy on my store shelf says both CGE and Z-Man on the cover.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 26, 2016

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

T-Bone posted:

That's a really good piece, up there with the guy that wrote about bringing an actual US Diplomat to a Diplomacy tournament.

al-azad posted:

Pandemic is also a highly variable game but I haven't played MoM so I can't comment on it. But when you say scenario I think Imperial Assault which at least gives the DM a lot of customization options upfront.

e: What's the correct version of Tash Kalar to get? I know the Z-Man edition has bad components but the copy on my store shelf says both CGE and Z-Man on the cover.

That's the bad one. A store near me is stuck with it too, I guess they're hoping someone who doesn't know better will buy it one day.
Look online maybe, you want the 2nd Edition with only CGE markings.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

How much harder does Pandemic get with expansions added on? Legacy uses only the base game and i did buy the In the Lab expansion for the base game but haven't gotten the chance to really use it yet. There's one that also makes a wierd Ghost Stories-esque thing with a player playing the villain as well right?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bubble-T posted:

That's a really good piece, up there with the guy that wrote about bringing an actual US Diplomat to a Diplomacy tournament.

This deserves a link because it was an awesome story: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/531/got-your-back

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

How much harder does Pandemic get with expansions added on? Legacy uses only the base game and i did buy the In the Lab expansion for the base game but haven't gotten the chance to really use it yet. There's one that also makes a wierd Ghost Stories-esque thing with a player playing the villain as well right?

On the brink adds Virulent strain, which adds difficulty to the game, and is the one I'd recommend first. It also adds the bio-terrorist, and the Mutation strain. Virulent strain adds interesting dynamics to the game, where your most problematic disease will have additional effects that requires you to deal with. It's fun without being complete and total bullshit.

In the Lab adds the Lab minigame (which is pretty fun) and Worldwide panic game (needs On the Brink to run, as you don't get enough cubes otherwise), it also comes with the petri dishes and the vials, which is really neat.

State of Emergency... is probably the one that adds the most bullshit difficulty. It comes with the Superbug challenge, which is hard but fair. It also introduces the idea of the quarantine mechanic which are zones that you can slap down to prevent the next two ticks of disease occuring on a space. The other big thing that it introduces are the bullshit difficulty Emergency Events, which will basically kick your rear end into next week unless you get really lucky on the pulls. Don't recommend it on 2 player game. The Hinterlands challenge is kinda mediocre. It doesn't really add anything other than an extra space that risks exploding out to other spaces. Haven't really been impressed by this expansion overall.

Personally, I recommend getting On the Brink, as it does add some really cool aspects to the game that add challenge and variety. It plus In the Lab really can add diversity to the game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

taser rates posted:

The manual is good, the only difference is they added new tiles in the 2nd edition, but the rules are otherwise the same. I recommend skipping the Spinning Jenny starting game and going straight to Waterframe.

Don't do this. It's not impossible, but unless you're all some kind of gaming savant you'll end up restarting a couple of times or being buried. Play time of eight hours is not unheard of for people attempting to jump straight in at the deep end.

Since you have 2E you have the Spinning Mule variant (it's in the Player's Book, section 3). Use that instead. It introduces most of the parts of Water Frame and is meant as a bridge to that version of the game.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
The Petri dishes cone with On the Brink.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Oh, God, I'm going to play Android this Saturday. I don't know whether to be excited or terrified. Should I try to make any sense of the manual beforehand, or is it a lost cause anyway?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Fat Samurai posted:

Oh, God, I'm going to play Android this Saturday. I don't know whether to be excited or terrified. Should I try to make any sense of the manual beforehand, or is it a lost cause anyway?

From my experience you should not focus on trying to understand the rules and use them to win, since the game, unfortunately, is a hot mess. Just lay back, focus on the cool theme and think of Fun.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
As someone who owns and enjoys Android, (massive) warts and all: Take the rulebook, maybe thumb through the fiction segments, then set the booklet on fire. This is your new rulebook. Don't look back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
In the multiple(!!!) times that i've played Android everyone goes for trying to get their characters to maximum happiness, since actually winning is a crapshoot and getting plot outcomes is something you can actually control and feels good at the end :3