Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quift
May 11, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

The point is that there are civilian applications of military research, and we can realize peaceful benefits from non-peaceful research.

I'd like to start by pointing out that your argument is seriously weakened because it rests on the assumption that you can easily classify any research effort as either peaceful or non-peaceful. The world isn't black and white like that.

Declaring something irrelevant doesn't make it so; you still need to back up your position with a well-reasoned argument, but you haven't done that here. Say that the military, in an attempt to maintain a stronger, healthier fighting force, creates an injection that essentially cures obesity. The purpose of this research was inherently non-peaceful; the scientists working on this research were trying to make the "War-Machine" more efficient, basically everything that you say you dislike about military research still applies here. But surely we can both agree that such an invention would have staggeringly positive peaceful benefits despite the intentions of everyone involved. I don't believe that these benefits are diminished due to the intentions of the scientists or the people funding the research.

Would you also argue that a piece of military technology that can only be used in self-defense is inherently opposed to peace? For instance, is body armor opposed to peace? What about helmets?

How does your argument apply to research that has obvious civilian and military benefits? Do you just brush the military benefit under the rug? Does the funding agency determine the moral goodness of the research despite the potential benefits to the military or to the civilian population?

That's a false dichotomy. If you cut all military-related research, not all of that money wouldn't get funneled back into civilian research (realistically, maybe up to a tiny fraction of it would be). Civilian applications of military research are an undeniable tangential benefit of having military research. That's the crux of my argument, and you seem to disagree but you don't have good reasoning to support your position, so I'm accusing you of making a flimsy morality argument.

I don't see much value in comparing reality to fantasy, as you've done here.

Again you muddy the waters with your lack of clear definitions.

Argument 1. Military research is morally wrong.
I make distinctions from the the intent of the research. The subsequent application of the knowledge is not relevant for my initial claim that military research is inherently violent. That the knowledge gained from military research has civilian applications is irrelevant. Knowledge will find it's applications regardless of the intent of the one making the initial discovery. I can use a spoon to slowly pluck your left eye out out of its socket while singing Taylor Swift songs but this doesn't make IKEA's development of silverware morally objectionable nor Taylor Swift an accomplice to the act.

Argument 2. military research is an waste of tax money.
Money spent of A cannot be spent B, thus forcing a choice between A and B should be obvious. It is thus not a false dichotomy. Both from an economic and from a ethical stand point a choice has to be made. If we wish to evaluate the relative merits of two options we need to examine the plausible consequences of choice A vs Choice B. In this case it's rather obvious that if we spend less money on developing guns and more money developing basically anything else the latter is not only the morally stronger choice but also the one that will lead to a better and more developed society. From a civil perspective military research is this a waste of tax payer money compared to civil research.
So peaceful development is the better choice from both a virtue perspective as well as an utilitarian perspective.

Then we have your argument that any comparison is meaningless since we live in a world were only the military can get those precious tax dollars. That might be true in a dystopic police-state ruled by a military industrial complex where any semblance of democracy is a charade and the choices boil down to the choice between a money laundering war hawk and a fascist, but it has no bearing for us living in the real world were the state works to improve the lives of the citizenry.

Argument 3. Military research slows down the rate of technological innovation in a society.
Military research is by it's very nature secretive. The gains from it are limited to a very small sample of scientists who are developing a very narrow set of applications from their technology. The secretive nature of the research often in practice mean that entire subjects of science remain hidden at best and expressively forbidden at worst. This secrecy is in opposition to the open debate and collaborative nature proposed by the scientific methodology.

Conclusion.
So military research is not only the morally weaker choice, it is also research focused upon goals not beneficial to the citizenry and it slows down the spread of knowledge thus slowing down the rate of technological improvement due to it's secretive nature and opposition to open and collaborative science.

Military research is thus of questionable merit when compared to the alternative of government funded civil research.

it is morally corrupt.
It's a waste of tax payers money.
It slows down the rate of technological development
It is politically dangerous and might lead to a highly militarized state.
It contributes to the overall glorification of violence and help warmongers argue for the benefits of war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Quift posted:

Then we have your argument that any comparison is meaningless since we live in a world were only the military can get those precious tax dollars. That might be true in a dystopic police-state ruled by a military industrial complex where any semblance of democracy is a charade and the choices boil down to the choice between a money laundering war hawk and a fascist, but it has no bearing for us living in the real world were the state works to improve the lives of the citizenry.

Oh, so that's your gimmick. Yawn. I was actually interested in debating the real merits of using morally questionable research for morally unquestionable ends, but if you're not arguing in good faith then there's not much point

Quift
May 11, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Oh, so that's your gimmick. Yawn. I was actually interested in debating the real merits of using morally questionable research for morally unquestionable ends, but if you're not arguing in good faith then there's not much point

I am arguing in good faith. You are the one who claimed that money coudn't be moved from the military industrial complex into civil research for political reasons.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

504 posted:

Those dumb fuckers that believe the whole "Buy gold, paper money is gonna fail!!!" line almost cause me to stroke out. Don't ANY of them notice the helpful advice filled website is willing to take their useless paper and give them valuable valuable gold?

Er, the websites/phone lines don't actually send them gold, they send them paper certificates that are in theory redeemable for the gold (or silver or whatever). You just need to drive out to some warehouse in Nebraska or something to pick it up, it's so easy! :v:

The only ones that actually send you gold or other precious metals are the sites where they're sending you coins, heavily marked up over the value of the precious metal within, naturally. Don't worry though, they'll totally be worth what you paid when the apocalypse happens and you have 4 gold coins to last the rest of your life!

All research done for the military and under its funding/watch is military research, and you need to deal with that fact.

Quift posted:

It slows down the rate of technological development

Now that's some insanity right there!

Quift
May 11, 2012

fishmech posted:

Now that's some insanity right there!

I made an argument. Can you make an actual counter-argument like an adult or are you limited to just spouting random insults like a 5 year old playground bully?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Quift posted:

I made an argument. Can you make an actual counter-argument like an adult or are you limited to just spouting random insults like a 5 year old playground bully?

We already demolished your argument pages ago. Your own posting is an insult to everyone's intelligence, because you simply refuse to use real definitions of terms.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Quift posted:

On the contrary there is plenty of UFO stuff. if you wish to delve deeper into the the subjct you can google some of these keywords

Anunaki
Archonts
Archturians
Galactic federation of light
alien moonbase
mars colony
secret space program

these sites and channles have plenty of "information"
youtube"]user/ExoNewsTV
https://secretspaceprogram.org/

What's fascinating is that the culture kept evolving. Now it's nowhere near the recovered memory rape kidnapping stuff of 1970-2000 and would be unrecognizable to Geraldo or Budd Hopkins. Even X-files outlived the actual culture and had to retrofit some Mayan 2012 stuff near the end.

The recovered memory craze and related satanic panic really propelled ufo abduction into pop-culture respectability, but without those other elements it went right back to crazytown. I bet there aren't even classic abduction accounts being made any more--that it's just the same crowd as MKULTRA schizophrenics.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

What's fascinating is that the culture kept evolving. Now it's nowhere near the recovered memory rape kidnapping stuff of 1970-2000 and would be unrecognizable to Geraldo or Budd Hopkins. Even X-files outlived the actual culture and had to retrofit some Mayan 2012 stuff near the end.

The recovered memory craze and related satanic panic really propelled ufo abduction into pop-culture respectability, but without those other elements it went right back to crazytown. I bet there aren't even classic abduction accounts being made any more--that it's just the same crowd as MKULTRA schizophrenics.

It's kind of hard to claim close up alien encounters any more seeing as everyone has a camera/video recorder in their pocket.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

muscles like this? posted:

It's kind of hard to claim close up alien encounters any more seeing as everyone has a camera/video recorder in their pocket.

I think this is why the new hotness is gangstalking/Targeted Individuals; when you think every traffic jam or line at the bank or weird noise at night is evidence of a conspiracy to personally harass you, it's easy to whip out your phone and comprehensively document every single event that happens so you can compile them online

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

Quift posted:

This is actually just untrue, though. Cold War Era Research was primarily fueled by the looming presence of conflagration. Computation, Physics, and Biology all saw major advancements during this period - and others - due to military research; most of these advancements were adapted to non-military uses.

Also, could you quantify how much technological advancement is slowed down? Seems like your definition is arbitrary and you're setting yourself up for a debate you can't lose by introducing specific thresholds after arguments have been made.

Quift posted:

Argument 3. Military research slows down the rate of technological innovation in a society.
Military research is by it's very nature secretive. The gains from it are limited to a very small sample of scientists who are developing a very narrow set of applications from their technology. The secretive nature of the research often in practice mean that entire subjects of science remain hidden at best and expressively forbidden at worst. This secrecy is in opposition to the open debate and collaborative nature proposed by the scientific methodology.

tech firms are secretive too, friend. If google were to leak a new system or method for computation, its competitors would attempt to finish it first. Since 99% of tech firms, whether public or private industry, are in competition with something, this 'secretive' argument has no roots in reality. Because of this, openness and collaboration aren't unique to peaceful research.

unpleasantly turgid fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 26, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Chairman posted:

I think this is why the new hotness is gangstalking/Targeted Individuals; when you think every traffic jam or line at the bank or weird noise at night is evidence of a conspiracy to personally harass you, it's easy to whip out your phone and comprehensively document every single event that happens so you can compile them online

Probably the weirdest part about gangstalking is how there's never any reason behind it. Most conspiracy theories have some kind of goal but gangstalking is always just harassment for no reason.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Probably the weirdest part about gangstalking is how there's never any reason behind it. Most conspiracy theories have some kind of goal but gangstalking is always just harassment for no reason.

Hey now, some gangstalking "victims" know it's because they were getting too close to THE TRUTH and THEY didn't want them to realize it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

There's a great f plus bit where they wonder if the children of Targeted Individuals ever blame poo poo on gangstalkers to get away with it

"I didn't spill that mom, must have been the CIA plant that's following you. I did my homework, the gangstalkers took it out of my bag!" Etc

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

It's like flat earthers -- who can care about the causes or reasons when we're so obviously getting harassed/being bombarded by roundist propaganda right now?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Quift posted:

I am arguing in good faith. You are the one who claimed that money coudn't be moved from the military industrial complex into civil research for political reasons.

Come on, the portion that I quoted made your gimmick too obvious. You're deliberately playing as an overly-naive person. The post that I'm quoting here just compounds the matter.

Hey Quift I've got a bridge to sell you, only :tenbux:! Think of all the toll money you could rake in!

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Animal-Mother posted:

I never bought into alien abductions myself, mostly since I don't see why a spacecraft with Star Trek level technology would need to physically examine a specimen onboard, but the allegedly true story behind Fire In The Sky is.... intriguing.

What was the "true story"?

Id heard they admitted it was all made up.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

Er, the websites/phone lines don't actually send them gold, they send them paper certificates that are in theory redeemable for the gold (or silver or whatever). You just need to drive out to some warehouse in Nebraska or something to pick it up, it's so easy! :v:

Haha, that's even better!!

"Sure we will give you useful gold for useless money, but we wont actually send you the gold, just nip out and pick it up when the world falls apart..k?"

Amazing!

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Quift posted:

On the contrary there is plenty of UFO stuff. if you wish to delve deeper into the the subjct you can google some of these keywords

Anunaki
Archonts
Archturians
Galactic federation of light
alien moonbase
mars colony
secret space program

these sites and channles have plenty of "information"
youtube"]user/ExoNewsTV
https://secretspaceprogram.org/

We are not talking about some mental case writing a website, we are talking about somebody stumbling into town claiming he just got his rear end reamed by the greys. That flat out does not happen now.

Quift
May 11, 2012

FoxStrats posted:

This is actually just untrue, though. Cold War Era Research was primarily fueled by the looming presence of conflagration. Computation, Physics, and Biology all saw major advancements during this period - and others - due to military research; most of these advancements were adapted to non-military uses.

Also, could you quantify how much technological advancement is slowed down? Seems like your definition is arbitrary and you're setting yourself up for a debate you can't lose by introducing specific thresholds after arguments have been made.

tech firms are secretive too, friend. If google were to leak a new system or method for computation, its competitors would attempt to finish it first. Since 99% of tech firms, whether public or private industry, are in competition with something, this 'secretive' argument has no roots in reality. Because of this, openness and collaboration aren't unique to peaceful research.

I was discussing the relative merits of government funded research.

Option A. Spend 1 billion taxdollars on a new secret super weapon
Option B. Spend 1 billion taxdollar on civil engineering projects.

My arguments are obviously not valid when Option B is distorted to become "No tax dollars spent on research". Inefficient RND expenditure is better than no RND expenditure but that much is obvious. I am claiming that military research is wasteful, ineffiecient and immoral compared to the alternative of non-military state sponsored research of equal cost (universities, Space progams, large construction programs, the human genome project etc).

How this position can be called unreasonable and insane is quite beyond me.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Quift posted:

because voters are more willing to support 'defense' research than pure science research

the space race was largely a public spin on government development of ICBMs, for example. america wasn't freaked out by sputnik because of the prestige of getting lapped in space, but because the soviets had demonstrated they could put an object the size and shape of a nuclear weapon in orbit

Quift
May 11, 2012

504 posted:

We are not talking about some mental case writing a website, we are talking about somebody stumbling into town claiming he just got his rear end reamed by the greys. That flat out does not happen now.

This happens plenty.

http://disclosureproject.org/
http://www.siriusdisclosure.com/

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

thanks for linking some mental case's website to support 504's claim

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

No, it really doesn't.

I like that in response to "Not some mental case writing a website" you link a website.

EDIT: Beaten by a drink.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

because voters are more willing to support 'defense' research than pure science research

the space race was largely a public spin on government development of ICBMs, for example. america wasn't freaked out by sputnik because of the prestige of getting lapped in space, but because the soviets had demonstrated they could put an object the size and shape of a nuclear weapon in orbit

No but because of, um, PR surrounding totally peaceful rocket development it totally wasn't military research! That's why the international community applauds Nork Korea launching peaceful scientific satellite missions on Nodongs and expresses its appreciation for the furtherance of Dear Leader's peaceful space research!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
and we remember the moon landing as pure science today because the government totally tried to militarize space in the 1960s but slowly realized it was a stupid and stupendously expensive idea

the original moon bases would have absolutely been military bases if it made any kind of fiscal sense to station nuclear missiles on the moon. since it didn't the us/soviets agreed for a nice pr friendly gentlemen's agreement that was basically the same as "we both agree to not build gigantic robot walkers with death rays"

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
When will this thread return to making fun of moon landing truthers?

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
As soon as you are willing to admit the truth of the moon not existing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

zakharov posted:

When will this thread return to making fun of moon landing truthers?

Well you see there's actually a lot of merit behind moon landing truthers. I don't personally believe the moon landing was faked, but we can learn a lot about the world via moon landing truthers and their methods can't simply be dismissed because they aren't "scientific" or "factual".

Quift
May 11, 2012

504 posted:

No, it really doesn't.

I like that in response to "Not some mental case writing a website" you link a website.

EDIT: Beaten by a drink.

What option did I have other than linking to a webiste written by a loon? If you watch their "documentary" you would get what I mean. These guys hang around in the desert, drink ayawhasca and claim to to beamed up into speceships on a regular basis. To claim it doesn't count unless there is some rectal probing involved is quite anal.

Baronjutter posted:

Well you see there's actually a lot of merit behind moon landing truthers. I don't personally believe the moon landing was faked, but we can learn a lot about the world via moon landing truthers and their methods can't simply be dismissed because they aren't "scientific" or "factual".

Their analysis of Kubrick movies are much more fun to watch. Trust me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hRgQ-Qk7u8

This one is only 6 minutes. There are some that clock in over an hour.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

This should be fun for future conspiracy and alien stuff: Asteroid collisions create 'forbidden' five fold symmetrical crystals

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2016/07/26/asteroid_collisions_create_a_forbidden_quasicrystal.html

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Quift posted:

What option did I have other than linking to a webiste written by a loon? If you watch their "documentary" you would get what I mean. These guys hang around in the desert, drink ayawhasca and claim to to beamed up into speceships on a regular basis. To claim it doesn't count unless there is some rectal probing involved is quite anal.

Exactly.

"What option did I have because no one claims it on TV or by yelling it in town anymore"

That's my point. (Pay attention here) It is only the blatantly mentally sick still claiming this, the attention seekers, the fame chasers and the liars have all given it up.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

NLJP posted:

This should be fun for future conspiracy and alien stuff: Asteroid collisions create 'forbidden' five fold symmetrical crystals

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2016/07/26/asteroid_collisions_create_a_forbidden_quasicrystal.html

For extra fun, here's the diffraction pattern:

:devil:

Amoxicilina
Oct 21, 2008

504 posted:

I don't believe there has been an outright admission of a hoax. Travis Walton maintains his original story to this day. It's how he makes his living. The other culprit, Mike Rogers probably does as well but I don't know.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

504 posted:

They got drunk and hosed each other?

The story they came back with was not standard gray rape. It was like space Norwegians in flowy colorful gowns telling them about the beauty of the cosmos.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Quift posted:

I was discussing the relative merits of government funded research.

Option A. Spend 1 billion taxdollars on a new secret super weapon
Option B. Spend 1 billion taxdollar on civil engineering projects.

My arguments are obviously not valid when Option B is distorted to become "No tax dollars spent on research". Inefficient RND expenditure is better than no RND expenditure but that much is obvious. I am claiming that military research is wasteful, ineffiecient and immoral compared to the alternative of non-military state sponsored research of equal cost (universities, Space progams, large construction programs, the human genome project etc).

That position is pure fantasy. You might as well say that Option B is "spend 1 billion taxdollars to teach everyone how to teleport"

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 27, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I do love that all UFO or other weird videos tend to be people recording random poo poo then suddenly a UFO! A Ghost! Superman! Or shits blurry and can't make out details.

The Chairman posted:

A friend posted a article about dealing with people who thought they were being gangstalked and some people started bringing up the way Scientology attacks critics, or someone like Karen Silkwood. I tried to clear up that gangstalking is not the same as targeted harassment because those people were on a shitlist because they were critics or going to expose wrongdoing or something else that a powerful organization wanted to stop. Gangstalking is normal, average people who are paranoid because they're out of coke at the store and so they have ot buy pepsi, and they see a guy with a blue shirt and thinks Biug Pepsi is rigging their life so they buy more Pepsi. But those guys were "I don't know, I could see these techniques being used against regular people" and I would ask "why?" and then they go back aground to the aforementioned targets. When bringing up magical technology they would say "I read on *some poo poo like Infowars* that the government can change the weather, so its possible they have camers that can see though walls".

To my friends credit he saw this and was "What the gently caress guys? When did you guys get tinfoil hats?"

Quift
May 11, 2012

504 posted:

Exactly.

"What option did I have because no one claims it on TV or by yelling it in town anymore"

That's my point. (Pay attention here) It is only the blatantly mentally sick still claiming this, the attention seekers, the fame chasers and the liars have all given it up.

Oh. Sorry, Misread you. Al tough I have never seen an Alien Abductee on television but that might be because we dont' have the Jerry Springer Show et al over here.

I would still like to discuss the Sirius Disclosure Project though. They are one of the most discussed groups in UFO-logy circles and they have published a trove of official documents from around the world on the subject. If anyone is interested.

Back to the topic of Conspiracy Aliens.
One thing that I find interesting in the Alien Conspiracy debate is that most conspiracy theorists claim the opposite of a Government Cover up. They claim that all Aliens are fake/PsyOp and that the Government has tried to prepare the populace for a fake alien invasion in order to install the NWO. (Project Bluebeam).

The narrative goes:
Media such as movies and TV-shows have been schock full of Aliens to "program" us in to thinking Aliens might be real.
NASA is simultaneously making the belief that ET are real a "scientific"claim.
The "History" Channel is pushing the Ancient Aliens theory to further increase the credibility of Aliens on earth.
MK ultra subjects are given false memories of Alien Abductions and then released to act as witnesses.
When the "Aliens" arrive these "witnesses" will turn out to not have been crazy the whole time thus creating further historical "evidence" for the now manifested "Aliens".

So instead of going "The Military Industrial Complex are hiding Aliens in Area 51" We have "The Military Industrial Complex plans to fake an Alien Landing to instigate a Military Dictatorship while pretending to protect us from a non-existing threat".

So many Conspiracy theorists thinks that the "Disclosure Project" is part of this plan and that the leading figures within it such as Dr Greer are either brainwashed MK Ultra pawns or take a willing and active part in pushing this agenda. The old Conspiracy theory is seen as planted by the very forces that it claimed to oppose.

Quift fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 27, 2016

Quift
May 11, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

That position is pure fantasy. You might as well say that Option B is "spend 1 billion taxdollars to teach everyone how to teleport"

Most governments in the world spend their money sensibly. Since most countries do not have a large arms industry they don't spend anything on military research. Instead they soend their RDN money on their universities or stuff like CERN, civil space programs etc. See, I live in the actual world. You seem to live in a world where Donald Trump and his rambling hate-speech could be seen as a rational choice.

I'm starting to get the impression that being a ignorant, stupid narcissist with neither the talent for, nor the inclination towards coherent thought might not be just a "schtick" for you; it may be a reflection of who you truly are. if that is the case I feel very strongly that we should celebrate your strong sense of self. I was taught of the importance of not degrading the mentally retarded but instead work to make them feel good about themselves in an world that is often intellectually overwhelming.

I would thus like to give you a pat on the back and a participation trophy!
This trophy is hereby given to you as a proof that you can (almost) participate in a discussion with adults. No need to thank me.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Quift posted:

Most governments in the world spend their money sensibly. Since most countries do not have a large arms industry they don't spend anything on military research.

You know literally nothing about anything

quote:

Instead they soend their RDN money on their universities or stuff like CERN, civil space programs etc. See, I live in the actual world. You seem to live in a world where Donald Trump and his rambling hate-speech could be seen as a rational choice.

The United States is a major contributor of personnel and resources to CERN; over one quarter of the scientists that have worked with the LHC were funded with US research dollars. The US presence at CERN is considerable. Trust me on this; I used to work there. The United States also has a similarly-sized particle physics facility called Fermilab, plus the we've built many other accelerators over the years. We could and should do more, of course, but pretending that the US doesn't spend any money on research is both wrong and unhelpful.

NASA is the US's civil space program and has been in operation since the 50s. They also serve as a funding source for industry-level space research.

Literally everything in your post is wrong. It's a dumb gimmick and you should just stop.

quote:

I'm starting to get the impression that being a ignorant, stupid narcissist with neither the talent for, nor the inclination towards coherent thought might not be just a "schtick" for you; it may be a reflection of who you truly are. if that is the case I feel very strongly that we should celebrate your strong sense of self. I was taught of the importance of not degrading the mentally retarded but instead work to make them feel good about themselves in an world that is often intellectually overwhelming.

lol you are trying way too hard at this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quift
May 11, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

You know literally nothing about anything

The United States is a major contributor of personnel and resources to CERN; over one quarter of the scientists that have worked with the LHC were funded with US research dollars. The US presence at CERN is considerable. Trust me on this; I used to work there. The United States also has a similarly-sized particle physics facility called Fermilab, plus the we've built many other accelerators over the years. We could and should do more, of course, but pretending that the US doesn't spend any money on research is both wrong and unhelpful.

NASA is the US's civil space program and has been in operation since the 50s. They also serve as a funding source for industry-level space research.

Literally everything in your post is wrong. It's a dumb gimmick and you should just stop.

lol you are trying way too hard at this

You are the one that claimed that it would be impossible for a government to invest it's RND into civilian projects. I think the word used was "Fantasy Land"?

This is the lack of coherence that earns you your trophy.

• Locked thread