Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

the X-Pro2/xt2 don't do 4K as well as the high-end lumix bodies
The former doesn't even do 4K (and isn't coming in a firmware update) and the latter we haven't seen final firmware image quality, but early impressions seem positive. It starts to get real pricey compared to the GH4 though once you factor in the almost-necessary-for-4K body grip, so I can't see many switching to the X-T2 for video reasons. It's nice that Fujifilm finally isn't treating video as an afterthought, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Oh, I thought it was coming to the xpro2. That's... not a huge loss, I guess. I can't imagine most people would want to do serious video work on an X-Pro style body.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I was never happy with e-mount because the native lens selection was meager and exorbitantly priced, fe gear is bigger still and even more expensive

Fuji complaining about e-mount lens prices, stones and glass houses, etc.

but sony does seem to be going the nikon/canon route and catering to FF as fast as they can. So fuji is the only aps-c with a good selection of lenses without feeling you overpaid for FF.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

At the moment, there's also a wider selection of specialty lenses for m43. But I don't expect that to last long. Fuji will have a macro out shortly, and I don't think either system will get tilt/shift anytime soon, if ever.

The PEN-F paired with the Voighlander 17.5 is easily one of the most fun camera+lens combos I've ever owned. The DOF advantage of MFT + retroesque manual lenses is a nice sweet spot of "focus by aperture, snap away".

I usually leave it at f8 with the 4ft focus mark just near of the f8 near focus disrance marker, DOF is about 4.1ft to 150ft. It is the fanciest stealthy point and shoot, just keep your subject about 4.5ft away and focus on framing.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I went with M4/3 because the E-M10 was the universally recommended camera for beginners at the time, and I was able to get an amazing deal on a refurb with the kit lens. If I were buying now, I'd probably get an X-T10 or used X-T1, partly because of the awesome primes and partly because I favor wider lenses. Even if I go APS-C or FF in the future, I'd still keep my Olympus kit because I travel a lot and the light weight is awesome. I'd like to get a weather-sealed body in the near future, so I'm waiting to see how much E-M1 prices will drop when the second generation is announced.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Oh, I thought it was coming to the xpro2.
Nope, apparently 4K imposes rather difficult thermal limitations on the MILC design process. I'm not sure if that's due to the Sony sensor, the downsampling, or what but the X-T2 had to be designed with an internal heatsink to keep components cool. This choice seems like it paid off at least, as TCSTV's X-T2 video had Sony's a6300 conking out on a warm NYC day trying to record 4K while the X-T2 was able to perform without issue. Fujifilm is saying that the lack of these hardware considerations is what will stop them from adding 4K recording to the X-Pro2 despite the sensor and architecture being practically identical to the X-T2.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 25, 2016

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Nevermind - sold fast on craigslist.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 26, 2016

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

MeruFM posted:

Fuji complaining about e-mount lens prices, stones and glass houses, etc.

but sony does seem to be going the nikon/canon route and catering to FF as fast as they can. So fuji is the only aps-c with a good selection of lenses without feeling you overpaid for FF.

Hm. Maybe it's my perception but not reality. Although I think when you limit it to apsc only you really start to see a deficit in selection compared to Fuji. It's an easy question to answer so I'll take another look.

I guess what sticks out the most to me is the lack of a good telephoto option that isn't $2500, and that the only way to get past 210mm is with a TC. It almost seems like an act of deliberate spite that they would make a camera with psychic Jesus autofocus (a6xxx) and not put out a decent 300mm+ lens for it.

Still though, there are times when I'm tempted to pick up an a7ii and build a collection of 35mm MF lenses for it. Adapting lenses on Sony cameras is fun.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I have here some Sony gear I am selling for a friend who had a baby and has no time for photography.

A7 II, kit lens, the Zeiss 55mm prime, and an RX-1R. Original boxes and and a lot accessories. Mint condition. I am gonna start researching prices tomorrow.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I know some of you shoot concerts, so I need some advice. I'm going to the Radiohead concert at the Madison Square Garden tonight. I wanna bring a camera. My main choice is my friend's A7II w/ 55mm f/1.8. Am I gonna get poo poo on by security for bringing it? Failing that, I have the RX1r and a Fuji X100T which should be more discreet.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
The E-M1 Mk2 is going to have 4K

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-confirmed-trusted-sources-e-m1ii-4k-improved-truepic-af-system/

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I can't believe what I'm reading. I gifted my girlfriend a GM1 back when it was new and she loves it to this day. It easily competes with many APS-C cameras in terms of IQ and it's loving tiny. If anything, this was the sector in which M43 still offered awesome advantages but I guess people love their smartphones too much :(

I'm a satisfied Olympus user, but I'm not excluding the option of switching to FF at some point. It would be expensive, though :( Olympus have to step up their game in the IQ department, but the cameras and lenses are generally fantastic. I just hope they have something up their sleeves.

Fuji is cool, but X-Trans doesn't play with DxO, which is my software of choice, so they're not an option.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That hand-held hi res mode would be amazing :stare:

Also DUAL CARD SLOTS :woop:

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Wengy posted:

I'm a satisfied Olympus user, but I'm not excluding the option of switching to FF at some point. It would be expensive, though :( Olympus have to step up their game in the IQ department, but the cameras and lenses are generally fantastic. I just hope they have something up their sleeves.

Olympus has patented a ton of FF mirrorless lens designs, but nobody knows if they're going to release them for their own or someone else's FF system. I'd like to go FF in a year or two, so I can wait and see

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Release a FF system without controlling access to FF sensor production would not work out for any brand. Unless Sony spin off the sensor division then I can see other brands start releasing FF systems. Look at how long Pentax have to wait to get that outdated FF sensor.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
After using the A7ii a bit, it feels like an ergonomic disaster. Who the hell thought these click wheel design and placements were a good idea?

Already missing the olympus for that reason but the 55mm 1.8 is amazing. Also after all the bitching about sony menus, it's still better than olympus. I guess it's the winner in a 3 legged race.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Tbf I never use the menus on my Oly - once you've got the super control panel set up you basically don't have to.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

I'm curious. What are people in this thread using even HD let alone 4k for? I've got a few film friends who do full film production (one has the first ever 8k dragon sensor) and that makes sense if your end result is going to be actual cinema theatre projectors that can utilize it, but aren't most people in this thread uploading to youtube or vimeo as their final presentation format?

It just seems a bit like a silly feature that so few people will use. It seems similar to all of a sudden getting 100 mp sensors in point and shoots or phones despite 99% of users posting to facebook or flickr and never printing, let alone at billboard sizes.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
High megapixels innately resolve more detail. Even if you downscale the 4k to 1080, it will be notably sharper than 1080. You can also do crops on 4k while retaining 1080 detail.

Same with cameras. The 50mp canon/42mp sony lets you crop easier and downscales resolve more detail.

High megapixels on point-and-shoots is weirder. 16mp on a 1/2.3 sensor is ludicrous. If you put that pixel density on a FF sensor, it would be 600mp.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

MeruFM posted:

High megapixels on point-and-shoots is weirder. 16mp on a 1/2.3 sensor is ludicrous. If you put that pixel density on a FF sensor, it would be 600mp.

Looks like you figured out their roadmap already. Just look at the recently released A7Rii and 5Ds, you know they're gonna try and milk it as much as they can before releasing a higher megapixel sensor (which they could have done so long ago).

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
we'll be swapping memory cards as fast as film

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

MeruFM posted:

High megapixels innately resolve more detail. Even if you downscale the 4k to 1080, it will be notably sharper than 1080. You can also do crops on 4k while retaining 1080 detail.

Same with cameras. The 50mp canon/42mp sony lets you crop easier and downscales resolve more detail.

Yes, I know that. But a marginally sharper 1080 crop of some amateur video on vimeo gets you....?

Again: any kind of non desktop projection... go wild. 1080, 4k, 8k, they have their utility. But if end platform is a social platform share for people to watch on their monitors, where no commercial aspect is involved, I just don't get it.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
If you're talking about why we're constantly progressing in technology without any apparent need, that's a philosophical debate and quotes similar to yours have been said for millennia.

Incremental improvement is not as interesting as a holocube, but it's still improvement. Looking at a 4x photo on a 4x res screen ~retina~ is much more pleasant than looking at a 1x photo on a 1x screen.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
4k is something you would never know you’re missing if you’ve never seen it. It’s literally a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist yet.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

poopinmymouth posted:

I'm curious. What are people in this thread using even HD let alone 4k for? I've got a few film friends who do full film production (one has the first ever 8k dragon sensor) and that makes sense if your end result is going to be actual cinema theatre projectors that can utilize it, but aren't most people in this thread uploading to youtube or vimeo as their final presentation format?

It just seems a bit like a silly feature that so few people will use. It seems similar to all of a sudden getting 100 mp sensors in point and shoots or phones despite 99% of users posting to facebook or flickr and never printing, let alone at billboard sizes.

The difference between 480 and 1080 is so noticeably huge that I fully embrace it. It is great to be honest.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bobfather posted:

4k is something you would never know you’re missing if you’ve never seen it. It’s literally a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist yet.

Unless BBC release a 4K nature documentary, 4K is complete pointless.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MeruFM posted:

Bring it. I now get an employee discount on SanDisk products. :woop:

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

MeruFM posted:

Just pick up two of these bad boys http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...2C&A=details&Q=

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

poopinmymouth posted:

4k screens need 4k content. Just viewing stills at that resolution beats the pants off normal HD. Then there's the various still trickery that 4k video allows, like post focus, pre-shutter recording etc.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
The good bits of UHD are mostly rec 2020 and HFR, the increased rez is icing but unless you're up close it's hard to tell

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

YouTube has supported 4k for a while. the format also has the whole HDR thing though I'm not sure if its really noticeable or not.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

poopinmymouth posted:

I understand the skepticism surrounding 4K, especially for home use when screen size and sitting distance puts 1080p at the upper limits of perceptible resolution for most room sizes - but are you really wondering why people use plain old 1080p? There's a inarguable improvement in image quality going from 480p up to 1080p. HDTVs are ludicrously cheap, and just about every computer and tablet screen for sale today is at least 1080p.

From a video production standpoint, 4K and higher makes a lot of sense if you are down sampling to a lower resolution because it results in a sharper image, but it also reduces or hides artifacts resulting from post processing and special effects.

That said, more and more 4K computer monitors are becoming surprisingly affordable, and at chair to desk distances, you really can tell the difference between 1080p and 4K on a monitor. Hell, my 2013 macbook is maybe 2.75K in resolution and the difference between a 1080p video scaled up to native resolution and a 4K video scaled down to native resolution is incredible.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

I understand the skepticism surrounding 4K, especially for home use when screen size and sitting distance puts 1080p at the upper limits of perceptible resolution for most room sizes - but are you really wondering why people use plain old 1080p? There's a inarguable improvement in image quality going from 480p up to 1080p. HDTVs are ludicrously cheap, and just about every computer and tablet screen for sale today is at least 1080p.

From a video production standpoint, 4K and higher makes a lot of sense if you are down sampling to a lower resolution because it results in a sharper image, but it also reduces or hides artifacts resulting from post processing and special effects.

That said, more and more 4K computer monitors are becoming surprisingly affordable, and at chair to desk distances, you really can tell the difference between 1080p and 4K on a monitor. Hell, my 2013 macbook is maybe 2.75K in resolution and the difference between a 1080p video scaled up to native resolution and a 4K video scaled down to native resolution is incredible.

I saw my photos on the 5K Retina iMac and I wanted to buy one on the spot.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah I don't have any gear that shoots 4K, but I like taking HD videos of wildlife with my DSLR. I got irritated with all the hype and kept telling myself that HD looked just fine. 4K seems like a pointless upgrade - the industry trying to manufacture demand for something new to drive sales. That's true to an extent, but when I saw how much better HD video looks when down sampled from 4K...

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

It's just basically a marketing figure. Someday they'll be shooting 8K video and the cameras will be melting inside.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Only just saw that Sigma are coming out with a new ILC. Foveon sensors are extremely my poo poo and I'm actually quite excited about this. If the price isn't too insane (SD1, lol), this might allow me to get rid of my DP2 and DP3 Merrill.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Wengy posted:

Only just saw that Sigma are coming out with a new ILC. Foveon sensors are extremely my poo poo and I'm actually quite excited about this. If the price isn't too insane (SD1, lol), this might allow me to get rid of my DP2 and DP3 Merrill.

The APS-C model is $799, $999 bundled with a 30mm f1.4 lens

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Wengy posted:

surrender posted:

The APS-C model is $799, $999 bundled with a 30mm f1.4 lens

I noted in the thread earlier that I wasn't going to bother with the SDQ because blahblahblah but then I went and did it anyway after getting an extended return period (which is basically how loan on deposit works at my favorite Tokyo camera chain).

The APS-C 30mm Art "kit" lens is pretty okay. Sharpness and detail are super high, so much so a lot of people photographed with it hate the photos because they show off every blemish and stray dog hair and whatever on somebody, DOF is a little nicer with the sharpness boost so it also makes it easier to pull your subjects out of their environment if you are a bokeh whore.

I am not a bokeh whore, and I wound up buying an EF-630 to go with, then promptly decided I hated every non-spot metering mode on the camera with TTL flash exposures and switched to using it off camera anyway making that a waste of money as I have other flashes.

This is my first forray into Foveon, and it is a terrible camera that has visible green layer noise even at ISO200. At ISO100, with a flash in even the slightest bit of poo poo light, it captures amazing detail. I have looked over my buddies dp2 Quattro raws I had him shoot in the same conditions and the dp2Q seems a bit more recoverable in the highlights but has otherwise the same poo poo everywhere.

The evaluative meter is also less sophisticated than literally any other evaluative meter on any camera I own, leading to either using CWA or spot in good light, but mostly just manual mode because gently caress it's ISO100 or bust anyway so once you figure out your DOF requirement its shutter and flash power.

It is however chugging through the photo project I got it for, but is a huge pain in the rear end to use though, so much so that I pretty much only remove it from the bag to work on that project, so I have no real good sample photos to show off. I should fix this.

(I am going to keep the camera because when it shines it shines, but I would never make a huge investment into it. I may pick up the 18-35 f1.8 Art, though.)

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

alkanphel posted:

I saw my photos on the 5K Retina iMac and I wanted to buy one on the spot.
Lucky bastard. I bought a 5k iMac, saw my photos and then sold my 5k iMac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Thanks for the input on the Sigma. I already own two Merrills (2 and 3), so I'm well acquainted with the Foveon quirks... Frankly, they don't bother me that much; I only use the cameras at ISO 100 and mostly for landscapes. They're absolutely unbeatable for that purpose. The most aggravating aspect of using them is definitely the terrible Sigma software, though. What a POS. Anyway, I'd mostly be interested in the APS-H Quattro, but I guess that's not coming out for a while and will probably cost a kidney...