Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Hellsau posted:

Skill grinding takes a lot of loving time and is the worst part of the game*. Sixth Sense should have been enabled on default crews before the game left beta - it's too important not to have. They didn't even try to monetize the fact that Sixth Sense is mandatory until last year! Hell, how long has the "crew skill overhaul" that would put Sixth Sense as a default Radio Operator function been in the works, since 2013?

I wonder if they ever will? Remember, WoWS went into alpha after they said they'd do that and they STILL have 6th sense as a trained skill there too.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

I wonder if they ever will? Remember, WoWS went into alpha after they said they'd do that and they STILL have 6th sense as a trained skill there too.

Next patch is making it free and redeeming the captain skill point. And the test server for it closed today that had the patch.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
So I'm kind of back (because I am a fool) but it seems most, if not all, of the usual suspects I've been running tier 5-7 platoons with aren't around anymore? I'm sort of trying to entice Emy into coming back, at least :effort:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

JuffoWup posted:

Next patch is making it free and redeeming the captain skill point. And the test server for it closed today that had the patch.

Wow! Maybe there's hope for tanks yet.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

Wow! Maybe there's hope for tanks yet.

I dont know, multiturret was supposed to happen the same wows was released. One year later and... nothing.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Still waiting for my horn! :argh:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

can't even blame WG for that one. "here have this great thi- what. you hate it? loving hell."

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I wish the JT88 hitler box counted for heavy missions. This thing is brokenly good. Thank you nazi fans for crying about your shitbox until they got buffed more.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Psykmoe posted:

So I'm kind of back (because I am a fool) but it seems most, if not all, of the usual suspects I've been running tier 5-7 platoons with aren't around anymore? I'm sort of trying to entice Emy into coming back, at least :effort:

Eh, things are slower than they used to be but we still play. We hang out on Discord now instead of TS. The in-game goons channel can be pretty bare (I actually had to create it myself, mid-day yesterday, for the first time ever) but there are still plenty of goons playing. The PANSY channel often has decent numbers.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

CompeAnansi posted:

There are three kinds of games for me. I get damaged early (usually by arty) and I end up having to play too passively to stay alive resulting in a poor game, the game is a complete steamroll and I can't shoot fast enough, or I actually have a good game. Currently, in the Object 140, the good games are way too infrequent. Check out this session:

What can I do about this other than 'getting good'? I feel like a large part of the problem is playing passive, but when I try to be more aggressive, I end up yoloing to an early death. Clearly winning wasn't a problem this session, but I think I can mostly thank my platoonmates for that.

Not that I am good at tanks or anything, but I find that I do better when I recognize a game for a loss and just try to pad my own stats. Instead of trying to bring up my win rate, I've been trying to get my second mark of distinction in a bunch of tanks (third mark is out of the question for a player of my skill level) so I go for that combination of damage/assisted damage. Shoot tracks when you can't pen and grab that assisted damage from the tanks that can pen. Try to stay alive and get some damage in garbage time when the game is lost.

For most of us, when you get in one of those games where all your teammates are reds with stats that indicate they are bots or suffering from some physical or mental handicap, and the other team is all blue, green and yellow, you aren't going to be able to do anything to salvage a win. So just get yours. Sometimes the match will work out better when you are just concentrating on your numbers and not trying to pull some crazy stunts to win an unwinnable game.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Hellsau posted:

Upload the replays where you won, survived, and did 568, 970, and 1052 damage. I never have those low damage games where I survive because I am so suicidally aggressive that either I throw my tank away or if I don't die immediately I'll rack up a few thousand damage I play carefully and moderate my aggression such that I'm always contributing something to the team.

e: notably, those three games I requested you also have no or nearly no spotting damage and also lose money on a win where you survive.

All my replays are uploaded on vbaddict. Here are links for the three you requested:

http://www.vbaddict.net/battlereport/compeanansi-na-d372d2af031f319b46d88f8d137e3a1e/abbey-soviet_union-object_140-55374727053916568
http://www.vbaddict.net/battlereport/compeanansi-na-d372d2af031f319b46d88f8d137e3a1e/pilsen-soviet_union-object_140-53660064440200260
http://www.vbaddict.net/battlerepor...374327621955561

EDIT: Having rewatched them myself, all three were ultra steamrolls where the game ended in 4-5 mins and I was in a slower tank than my platoonmates and played a bit too passive given how fast the games were ending.

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 25, 2016

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010
First game you hosed around with the mid too long. Stared and waited for the t-62a, didn't help your platoon mates as much as you could with the 260. You could have been trading one of his shots for shots from all of your platoon mates, instead you just let them do the damage. Alternately, you could have pushed the west(1) line and helped against the e-75/is-7. After that, you missed some damage with the patton and leo, but nothing serious - watch your cent ax buddy, he's getting his damage in, you're getting his sloppy seconds. But seriously, gently caress abbey.

Second round (pilsen) I've got nothing, short of going west. I don't play field, esp. against 3 arty, i think your buddy made a bad call and got lucky. That said, your enemy basically turned and abandoned your flank, so I wouldn't feel bad about not getting much damage.

Third round you guys pushed 1 line hard then kinda... didn't know what to do when nobody was there. Alot of your shots were pretty low percentage to begin with and rng wasn't agreeing with you. You need to get used to looking at the team scores if you don't already - I tend to get alot more aggressive when I see that we're ahead by multiple tanks. If you aren't aggressive enough, you're not going to get your damage. Tbh, I would have been really aggressive in that last round just seeing the skill imbalance. All of that aggressiveness does get me in trouble from time to time tho.

Watching the replays I will say that your buddies are in front constantly. It's not because they are faster, they're a bit more aggressive but they are also willing to trade their hp.

Be a bit more aggressive. I would say set yourself a goal of x shots in the first minute or 2 or something. I tend to try to spend hp early (trading well) to set up my teammates for a better battle.

Also remember that when you're platooning with people that are better than you, your dpg will probably go down, as they are soaking up more of the available hp.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
So, the newest patch will break all mods. Welp, I guess I'll drop the game again.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
All? As in banned?

Otherwise, wait a day or two and Aslain's or OCM or whatever updates it.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
No, Wargaming is changing stuff to Actionscript 3.0 which will completely break xvm and probably most other mods.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Zettace posted:

No, Wargaming is changing stuff to Actionscript 3.0 which will completely break xvm and probably most other mods.

Oof, I hate playing without mods. Fortunately, I've been considering preordering the new Deus Ex game (and I never buy games full price) and hopefully the timing will be right for me to be preoccupied with that while all the mods are re-written.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
The interface for the game has been getting better but there's still one mod I absolutely require to play this lovely game: NoScroll. There's no loving reason it can't be an interface toggle.

The mod that gets rid of the random camera jiggle when using dynamic cameras comes in as a close second. Autoaim snapping really should be a part of the base game (either build it into the game or ban it, WG) but, if I had to, I'd be able to train myself to stop using it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Desuwa posted:

The interface for the game has been getting better but there's still one mod I absolutely require to play this lovely game: NoScroll. There's no loving reason it can't be an interface toggle.

The mod that gets rid of the random camera jiggle when using dynamic cameras comes in as a close second. Autoaim snapping really should be a part of the base game (either build it into the game or ban it, WG) but, if I had to, I'd be able to train myself to stop using it.

25x zoom and NoScroll was built into the Sandbox. Unfortunately so was Battle Assistant so there are trade offs.

Really not too eager for every shitter in arti to try to thread the needle through a window at me.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Arty is the worst part of this game.

Well that and people who have stats that are worse then me, even slightly worse.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Zettace posted:

So, the newest patch will break all mods. Welp, I guess I'll drop the game again.

Not exactly. Currently the interface is running on Actionscript 2.0, in the upcoming patch they are updating it to Actionscript 3.0. This will break some features of existing mods. In XVM mods to the Garage tank carousel, Minimap, and Minimap HP display will break. As far as I can tell the rest of VXM will work just fine as is. In fact, XVM already has nightlies available for the new patch. Additionally mods for the deluxe info panel, custom damage panel, elevation angles, team HP, chat with message history, and tank icons will break. I'm sure that there are many other mods that they haven't tested yet that will break, but its not entirely a 'the sky is falling' situation. http://worldoftanks.asia/en/news/pc-browser/21/9151-mods-action-script-3-you/

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the only thing to be concerned about is if you're running mods that aren't maintained any more

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I haven't played with any mods in over a year. You will be fine.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

BadLlama posted:

I haven't played with any mods in over a year. You will be fine.

Yeah the game is more or less fine without mods, the only thing I NEED is the vert tech tree mod.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Szcwczuk posted:

Arty is the worst part of this game.

Well that and people who have stats that are worse then me, even slightly worse.
What about people who have worse stats than you and like to play arty? Not that I do those things, nope.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Where's the list of premium tanks that are worth poo poo again?

Also, RanZarEng's cartoons. :allears:

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Poil posted:

What about people who have worse stats than you and like to play arty? Not that I do those things, nope.

in public firing squad IMHO.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Klaus88 posted:

FCM
CDC
IS6
T-54 mod 1

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Poil posted:

What about people who have worse stats than you and like to play arty?

There's a link between having bad stats and playing arty

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Churchill III

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Why though as gold tanks go it's not exactly a stand out.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

CompeAnansi posted:

Not exactly. Currently the interface is running on Actionscript 2.0, in the upcoming patch they are updating it to Actionscript 3.0. This will break some features of existing mods. In XVM mods to the Garage tank carousel, Minimap, and Minimap HP display will break. As far as I can tell the rest of VXM will work just fine as is. In fact, XVM already has nightlies available for the new patch. Additionally mods for the deluxe info panel, custom damage panel, elevation angles, team HP, chat with message history, and tank icons will break. I'm sure that there are many other mods that they haven't tested yet that will break, but its not entirely a 'the sky is falling' situation. http://worldoftanks.asia/en/news/pc-browser/21/9151-mods-action-script-3-you/
I don't know. I just saw that the xvm developer said "A lot of work need to be done to adapt XVM for new WoT 9.15.1." so I just expected the worst.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 27, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Klaus88 posted:

http://pastebin.com/pLB440xz

Here's my pastebin reviews.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Szcwczuk posted:

Why though as gold tanks go it's not exactly a stand out.

It's fun.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The Churchill III is the only 'launch' premium other than the Clownshoe that's withstood the test of time and remained playable despite power creep. It's not a fantastic tank, but it's good at what it does and its construction allows smart players to mitigate incoming damage, and its ease-of-play enables even new players to be able to do *something* in it, since it's just mobile enough to make it so they don't have to spend five minutes getting to a hot spot, but they're also not fast enough to ensure they die first, too. Add to it that it's a trainer for Russian heavies (which are still a popular pubbie tree to follow), and it's still very viable.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Churchill III is the only 'launch' premium other than the Clownshoe that's withstood the test of time and remained playable despite power creep. It's not a fantastic tank, but it's good at what it does and its construction allows smart players to mitigate incoming damage, and its ease-of-play enables even new players to be able to do *something* in it, since it's just mobile enough to make it so they don't have to spend five minutes getting to a hot spot, but they're also not fast enough to ensure they die first, too. Add to it that it's a trainer for Russian heavies (which are still a popular pubbie tree to follow), and it's still very viable.

Also, that hidden bonus exp modifier it's got.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Well, I think I just learned a new trick with the physics engine while playing a hellcat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaAEvEZCq7o

See 2:45 for it. Otherwise, lots of other fun and hilarious stuff in there. Including a guy doing something hellsau is well known for doing, but because he was an arty, still being useful.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Valle posted:

Also, that hidden bonus exp modifier it's got.

I didn't know about that, but it's probably the best premium for a mouse1+w playstyle.

It's also fantastic in a 3-man platoon. People tend to poo poo themselves when they start getting hit more than once per second, even if it's just for 100 damage. It does suffer when it's not top tier, but that just means it has to pick on mediums instead.

It can also outdamage just about anything else at T5

And like Pennywise said, it's fun.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 27, 2016

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The churchill III premium round is some crazy balls too. 180 APCR at tier 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
So, with the recent update, supposing I were going to play (I probably won't), is it worth running with mods at all right now? I'd at least like my garage mods like the carousel mod and the auto-return crew/equipment mod.