Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WoodrowSkillson posted:

there will be a push for the GOP to get in power to "try something new" or whatever, especially if there is some economic issues in the next decade.

Note that I've never actually heard this from someone under 40, but even so that type of person is virtually guaranteed to vote third party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Oh, he's not wrong on this point. There's plenty of Dems who would have ran if Hillary hadn't.

His argument though was that hillary was not the reason they didn't run though

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I have a feeling the GOP is going to go all in with the alt-right if Trump loses, especially if it's close. They are the closest thing to an emerging movement they have being mostly younger dudes. There's no way they can just turn off the racism and sexism that Trump has stirred up and even if they did I don't think most people's memories are that short.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Radish posted:

I have a feeling the GOP is going to go all in with the alt-right if Trump loses, especially if it's close. They are the closest thing to an emerging movement they have being mostly younger dudes. There's no way they can just turn off the racism and sexism that Trump has stirred up and even if they did I don't think most people's memories are that short.

Yup. Remember, that wing of the party is going to make up a much larger % of a congressional party after this election.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The benefit for that is the alt-right is a huge turnoff for everyone that isn't a white male. They can't speak in dog-whistles only blatant bigotry so corporations and other business often aren't going to want to be associated with them.

If Trump loses the GOP is going to have another 2012 moment where they say "we need to get some of these non white males involved" and then hook up with the dudes calling a black actress a gorilla because she had the audacity to be in a movie.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 26, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Radish posted:

That's been the story of like the last 8 years if not longer. The GOP has entrenched itself at the national level more and more with each loss, and while it doesn't always result in the Dems moving right to pick up the slack, it does result in the odd voter staying home. It also results in candidates with less message/gaffe control so you end up with 47% and all this Trump poo poo.

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009
My uncle is REALLY MAD that they didn't mention ISIS during the first night of the convention. I'm not sure what that would have accomplished, but he told me that they're cowards because they didn't invoke the magical words "radical Islamic terrorism."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
There is not one person in the country who's line of thought is "I was gonna vote for Trump but I saw snearing plutocrat Michael Bloomberg endorse Hillary Clinton at the convention and now I'm with HER!." Are you loving kidding me DNC?

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I'm concerned Bill is gonna gently caress up today for some reason. He's been very hit or miss on the trail

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

His argument though was that hillary was not the reason they didn't run though
I haven't said poo poo about this yet.

Other candidates likely didn't run because (a) Dems have been in the White House for eight years and no one expected the GOP primary to be as spectacular of a shitshow as it was (i.e. "I'll hedge my bets and run in 2020") and (b) Hillary and the DNC likely convinced other possible candidates not to run.

computer parts posted:

Oh so now you're backtracking on:

Because this statement makes it sound like you're just saying the possibility is something worth considering.
ah, okay! well I'm really sorry for the confusion then. :)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

mcmagic posted:

There is not one person in the country who's line of thought is "I was gonna vote for Trump but I saw snearing plutocrat Michael Bloomberg endorse Hillary Clinton at the convention and now I'm with HER!." Are you loving kidding me DNC?

You do realize that's not why Bloomberg is endorsing her correct?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

mcmagic posted:

There are definitely HENRY types that are talking about staying home because Warren and Sanders are too "in" with the party (that's probably hot air since they are idiots if they think a Trump presidency where he destabilizes everything is preferable economically than even Bernie) so Bloomberg is probably a bone to them. Personally I'd like to drop those types but I don't know if it's prudent.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gio posted:

I haven't said poo poo about this yet.

Gio posted:

I think others didn't run for a myriad of reasons, the least of which being "I don't stand a chance against Hillary!"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You do realize that's not why Bloomberg is endorsing her correct?

Who cares why he's endorsing her? Why is she giving him a prime time speaking spot? It's so completely out of touch for where the party is at in 2016.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

genericangst posted:

My uncle is REALLY MAD that they didn't mention ISIS during the first night of the convention. I'm not sure what that would have accomplished, but he told me that they're cowards because they didn't invoke the magical words "radical Islamic terrorism."

Don't suppose you tried to tell him that his reaction is exactly what ISIS is hoping for?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

oh so you actually think HRC was SO INTIMIDATING thats why other candidates decided not to run. that's cute.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Who cares why he's endorsing her? Why is she giving him a prime time speaking spot?

Because it helps enforce the narrative that her opponent is an unhinged radical when she is able to get a notable Republican elected official to come on stage and trash the GOP candidate

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

mcmagic posted:

It's so completely out of touch for where the party is at in 2016.

haha i wish that were true

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gio posted:

oh so you actually think HRC was SO INTIMIDATING thats why other candidates decided not to run. that's cute.

I am not sure how quoting your own posts back to you exposes anyones bad ideas other than your own

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Radish posted:

There are definitely HENRY types that are talking about staying home because Warren and Sanders are too "in" with the party (that's probably hot air since they are idiots if they think a Trump presidency where he destabilizes everything is preferable economically than even Bernie) so Bloomberg is probably a bone to them. Personally I'd like to drop those types but I don't know if it's prudent.

henrydeathsentence.gif

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Gio posted:

It's true. She was up 50% point over everyone in every poll and the entire party establishment was lined up behind her. I happen to think that was very dumb but it was also the reality of what happened. I also am very skeptical that even a Warren or Biden could've beat her. Would they have run up the score among the southern black community like she did? I doubt it.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Because it helps enforce the narrative that her opponent is an unhinged radical when she is able to get a notable Republican elected official to come on stage and trash the GOP candidate

He's not a republican. And republican voters hate him just as much as leftists do.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

mcmagic posted:

He's not a republican. And republican voters hate him just as much as leftists do.

He was a republican when we was mayor of New York that is how minimally interested moderates remember him. The Bloomberg support has nothing to do with true believers or politics junkies but creating a good narrative for the swingiest of swing voters.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He was a republican when we was mayor of New York that is how minimally interested moderates remember him. The Bloomberg support has nothing to do with true believers or politics junkies but creating a good narrative for the swingiest of swing voters.

Only for his first term. Again, he isn't swinging any votes and he's just serving to disgust base voters.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Again, he isn't swinging any votes

I think you overestimate the American electorate

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

If the Dems get their economic reforms they want the vacillating behavior of the economy of the modern era could end and then the Republicans will be reduced to hoping for terrorist attacks scaring people to vote them in the office.

It apparently needs be said that this is not a winning long term strategy.

If there is a new liberal majority on the court despite the GOP trying to weaponize the judiciary since Reagan, the cultural wars are going to end. Possibly for the rest of my lifetime. I can think of no better gift for the next generation.

Do I wish the liberal choice for President was Obama instead of another Clinton? Sure. But I can't ignore the chance we have here by any measure.

Also I'm really amused on how many people on the forums got owned pre-emptively by -Cory Booker-

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Pretty much. If he gives a speech to help with the HENRYs and doesn't have any real influence then whatever. I don't like him at all but Warren and Bernie seem like they are getting actual policy considerations.

He isn't getting any Trumpers since they are only concerned with hating Others but he has influence in Democrats that read the WSJ that may be thinking about sitting this out. I expect he's going to stress that Trump is going to gently caress up the US and world economies pretty hard with his disastrous policies.

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009

Geostomp posted:

Don't suppose you tried to tell him that his reaction is exactly what ISIS is hoping for?

I did, and he told me I need to "WAKE UP." He's one of those people who simultaneously believes Democrats are naive and don't know how the world works, and that they're scheming to have terrorists take over the country.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Cory Booker posted:

Cynicism is the refuge of cowards.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

quote:

During a breakfast meeting with California delegates, attendees booed when Sanders said that they need to elect Clinton and defeat Trump. The senator then told the crowd that their jeers aren't helpful.

"It is easy to boo, but it’s harder to look your kids in the face who would be living under Donald Trump," he said.

Good line from Sanders here.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Say what you will about some of Sander's louder and dumber supporters but the man himself has been working pretty hard to try and get people voting for Hillary.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Radish posted:

Say what you will about some of Sander's louder and dumber supporters but the man himself has been working pretty hard to try and get people voting for Hillary.

History is going to be very kind to him.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Radish posted:

It's likely there's no illusion anywhere on the Bloomberg or Hillary level that he will be "owed" anything other than fighting the NRA while in office, which was already a long-standing plank. It isn't like she's going to be like "oh, thanks for your support Mike, I guess I should repeal cap gains taxes."

Bloomberg is probably royally pissed with Trump for being a stereotypical rich fucker (or as many put it "poor man's idea of a rich man") and by proxy harming Blomberg's interests by providing a mental image for the public to have on hand when people talk about people like Bloomberg.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

mcmagic posted:

History is going to be very kind to him.

His behavior has basically been unimpeachable since the primary process wrapped up. He accomplished every plausible objective his campaign had started out with, and he seems to know it and be cool with it.

The fact that his movement attracted a human garbage lunatic fringe that yells at black civil rights leaders speaking at the DNC sucks, but they're a tiny minority of predominantly white dudebro jerkoffs that will get flushed down history's toilet by the end of the week.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

It's likely there's no illusion anywhere on the Bloomberg or Hillary level that he will be "owed" anything other than fighting the NRA while in office, which was already a long-standing plank. It isn't like she's going to be like "oh, thanks for your support Mike, I guess I should repeal cap gains taxes."

Bloomberg is probably royally pissed with Trump for being a stereotypical rich fucker (or as many put it "poor man's idea of a rich man") and by proxy harming Blomberg's interests by providing a mental image for the public to have on hand when people talk about people like Bloomberg.

Like if I was a rich rear end in a top hat type I would be unhappy with Warren and Sanders trying to shake up banking but livid at Trump basically talking about destabilizing Europe and clearly no idea how the economy works. It's like when the Tea Party was playing with our credit rating and you know some backers were making angry phone calls.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

sean10mm posted:

His behavior has basically been unimpeachable since the primary process wrapped up. He accomplished every plausible objective his campaign had started out with, and he seems to know it and be cool with it

Yeah this is what a lot of the superficial "progressives" are missing. The Democratic party has been shifted meaningfully to the left and its because of Sanders.

The Public Option and 15 dollar minimum wage are being listed as mandates rather than "things that would be nice"

The official dem platform is inseparably connected with Bernie's ideas. I think it speaks very well to Hillary as a leader that she was able to turn her rival on the campaign trail into a source of strength and speaks well for Bernie being a strong advocate for meaningful leftist ideas.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Gio posted:

Yes, she was. It's called clearing the field. This isn't hard to understand.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Radish posted:

Like if I was a rich rear end in a top hat type I would be unhappy with Warren and Sanders trying to shake up banking but livid at Trump basically talking about destabilizing Europe and clearly no idea how the economy works. It's like when the Tea Party was playing with our credit rating and you know some backers were making angry phone calls.

This too - he might stand to pay 20% more in taxes under Democrats but he stands to lose a hell of a lot more if war breaks out and the markets collapse.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm hoping there's a poll in two weeks that shows the majority of Bernie primary voters are sticking with the party and these assholes insulting Warren are forgotten.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If a 'legitimate' establishment democrat ran as well it would probably have divided the not-Hillary vote between him and Bernie, increasing Clinton's overall lead. And you'd be complaining here about how Clinton would have lost if her opposition weren't divided.

Edit: The point of Bloomberg is to enable the elites that habitually support the GOP (see the newest This American Life for an example) to conclude that okay, Clinton isn't that bad, and sit this one out instead of going all in on Trump.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Radish posted:

I'm hoping there's a poll in two weeks that shows the majority of Bernie primary voters are sticking with the party and these assholes insulting Warren are forgotten.

There already was one

• Locked thread