Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Spell Queller is honestly some insane disruption for creature decks in Modern, that 5 color aggro deck is very cool.

E: Even some Monastery Mentor in the top 16, this is fantastic

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

C-Euro posted:

All y'all complaining about how Standard only has two viable decks need to get the gently caress in with Modern. In the last two Modern events I've played locally I've only played against the same archetype on one occasion, and that was the same guy in both events. It's super diverse right now, it's a lot of fun.

Yeah, even the typical "it's all linear aggro and combo" doesn't work, more than half of those decks want to interact heavily with the opponent rather than just doing their own thing.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Modern is in a pretty good place right now, even if I wish preordain was unbanned

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

uninverted posted:

Yeah, even the typical "it's all linear aggro and combo" doesn't work, more than half of those decks want to interact heavily with the opponent rather than just doing their own thing.

Out of the top 8 there are 2 decks that arent "linear aggro or combo". And this is at a Classic, which is a fairly small and not particularly competitive event, on the SCG circuit (which is less competitive than the GP circuit). Basically what I'm saying is that sure there's 16 decks in the top 16 but let's not pretend it's some wide swath of interesting strategies. It's more diverse than it was but it's still a very linear format at the moment.

Note: This applies to SCG events pre-pro tour as well. You'll see either a) dumb decks that you wont see after the first two weeks or b) last PT's decks, since the people that play at the SCG open aren't going to play what they're playing at the PT unless it's obvious (bant coco, monow humans).

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

GeneX posted:

Modern is in a pretty good place right now, even if I wish preordain was unbanned

I too, want to play storm again.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Cactrot posted:

I too, want to play storm again.

I honestly think that storm wouldn't be oppressive based on the unban of the less powerful banned socery speed cantrip alone

It might be better, sure, but I think you need a bit more to rebreak it

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

GeneX posted:

I honestly think that storm wouldn't be oppressive based on the unban of the less powerful banned socery speed cantrip alone

It might be better, sure, but I think you need a bit more to rebreak it

Its bad now, preordain would make it better.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
5 color aggro looks sweet.

Little surprised there's no copies of new Thalia out of 3 hatebears style decks in the top 16. Either they didn't get time to test with her or she's not quite good enough. She certainly seems good enough, but 3 drops are premium in those decks and she's bad on the draw in decks without noble hierarch.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Cactrot posted:

Its bad now, preordain would make it better.

Oh I thought you were being sarcastic in the sense of "storm would become tier 0 if that happened"

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i want to play modern but i am a poor :(

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

JOHN CENA posted:

Over time it's more cost effective than standard assuming you're not unlucky with a banning or something.

There's also budget builds all around that will at the very least get you started.
e.g. from earlier in the thread: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/277374#online

Moving to modern from standard was one of the better moves I made; the hurdle was annoying but worth it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

JOHN CENA posted:

You can build a respectable monogreen Stompy/aggro deck for like $70 mainboard. You won't take down any GPs with it but it's got some game-
22 Forest
3 Aspect of Hydra
4 Avatar of the Resolute
2 Dismember
4 Dryad Militant
2 Dungrove Elder
4 Experiment One
4 Leatherback Baloth
4 Rancor
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Strangleroot Geist
4 Vines of Vastwood
1 Wilt-Leaf Liege

Sideboard you can run stuff like Feed the Clan, Unravel the Aether, Skylasher if there's Delver in your meta, etc. If you have any CoCos from Standard those work in the deck too!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

JOHN CENA posted:

Build mono-red Burn like me :toot:

Then you only have one (4, actually) gently caress-off expensive card to buy, but at least it's a cool card.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

New Thalia is probably just too weak to bolt to see real modern play. Selfless Spirit is in the mono-white deck though.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

JOHN CENA posted:

Bored you say? Want to play some Modern on a budget and probably make some people salty.

Enjoy this sweet UW Turbofog list. I have won a couple modern FNM's but your success w/it will depend on your meta.

Lands (23)

4 Ghost Quarter
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Island
4 Plains
3 Shelldock Isle
4 Temple of Enlightenment

Spells (37)

1 Elixir of Immortality
4 Ethereal Haze
4 Holy Day
4 Angelsong
4 Dawn Charm
4 Howling Mine
1 Pollen Lullaby
4 Dictate of Kruphix
4 Sphinx's Tutelage
4 Temple Bell
3 Supreme Verdict

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

JOHN CENA posted:

Build this without blood moons, spellskites, and spirit guides (probably want to cut rabblemasters as well for non-budget reasons). Won't win anything big but you'll do fine at weeklies or fnms or whatever. I can give you suggestions for replacements if you'd like.

Mono-red burn is awful, both in terms of power level and fun level. Green devotion seems cool but I've never played with/against it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm actually just about done building that same Turbofog deck :lol: Glad to hear you're winning events with it, my Modern meta is pretty aggro-heavy so I have high hopes for it.

How are the Ghost Quarters working for you? That's the only real difference between your list and mine, I have the fetches already so I just put those in.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 26, 2016

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

C-Euro posted:

I'm actually just about done building that same Turbofog deck :lol: Glad to hear you're winning events with it, my Modern meta is pretty aggro-heavy so I have high hopes for it.

How are the Ghost Quarters working for you? That's the only real difference between your list and mine, I have the fetches already so I just put those in.

That's not the list I use it's just a budgeted version of the deck.

I use Hallowed Fountains, Strands and Colonnades. Your SB should basically be what your meta is. For me it's Burn, Infect, Eldrazi, a rare Company or two and what I love the best: People bring janky brews to try (Dimir Treasure Hunt).

Modern FNM's are bi-monthly and get 10-12 people so it's a small crowd sometimes 20 when it's not summer.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

80s James Hetfield posted:

That's not the list I use it's just a budgeted version of the deck.

I use Hallowed Fountains, Strands and Colonnades. Your SB should basically be what your meta is. For me it's Burn, Infect, Eldrazi, a rare Company or two and what I love the best: People bring janky brews to try (Dimir Treasure Hunt).

Modern FNM's are bi-monthly and get 10-12 people so it's a small crowd sometimes 20 when it's not summer.

My local store runs both a standard and modern fnm every week. The modern FNM generally has more players, averaging between 28-35. The standard FNM usually has 20-30. It is a lot of fun, and I highly recommend it.

edit-I should also mention the store has pretty good prize out paying to top 8, and whenever an FNM reaches 6 rounds of swiss, that payout is doubled. First place ends up with something like 24 packs or 72 dollars in store credit on those nights. Lucky's Card Shop in Greensboro, NC.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 26, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

JOHN CENA posted:

Suicide Zoo. It's a top notch T1 deck.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Suicide Zoo. It's a top notch T1 deck.

That costs 700 bux.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-suicide-zoo-25606#online

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

-2 Tarmogoyf, 2 Verdant Catacombs -> 2 Wooded Foothills

Look, now it only costs 350!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Madmarker posted:

an FNM reaches 6 rounds of swiss

Ughh. I'm so glad my LGS just caps FNM at 4 rounds with prize payots for 4-0s and 3-X-Xs.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Entropic posted:

Ughh. I'm so glad my LGS just caps FNM at 4 rounds with prize payots for 4-0s and 3-X-Xs.
Yeah, Swiss/cut at a tournament that starts in the evening is a bad idea if you want to grow your community.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

JOHN CENA posted:

Play 8 whack! 4x goblin guide and 4x legion loyalist are the most $$$ cards in the deck and buying the guides one at a time can help soften the blow to your bank account. Deck is super fun to play and wins way more than you would think given the price tag.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Wait, legion loyalist is seriously worth actualmoney?

I think I have some foils lying around from RTR/THS standard...

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

PleasantDirge posted:

4x goblin guide

And now I have 12 of these. What the gently caress is wrong with me?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
8-Wack is really bad, everyone I know who bought it ended up selling it and traded it back in no more than 2-3 weeks later

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

standard.deviant posted:

Yeah, Swiss/cut at a tournament that starts in the evening is a bad idea if you want to grow your community.

That really hasn't been an issue at the store, quite the opposite actually as they often run out of table space. The more casual friendly store, Comic Dimension, is very nice, but the competition is incredibly lax with flat payout. However that store sometimes has FNMs that don't even fire due to lack of interest. I will say that place has the best chairs (leather office/gaming chairs) and a good environment.

The only other store in the area, Gaming Underground..............has issues. They have less payout than Lucky's...but in addition to not capping Swiss, they cut to top 8 to decide prize out. It is ridiculous.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

stinkles1112 posted:

-2 Tarmogoyf, 2 Verdant Catacombs -> 2 Wooded Foothills

Look, now it only costs 350!

Yeah, you definitely don't need the Goyfs (Hooting Mandrils is better in the deck than Goyf is anyway) and it doesn't matter what fetches you use. I have a playset of Goyfs and I run 0 in the 75 in Suicide Zoo.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 26, 2016

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I was wondering what to suggest as a replacement for goyf, didn't even consider Mandrils but I can definitely see how that could end up at least as good as goyf. If it were me though, I'd stick that copy of Ranger of Eos in the main.

How in the whole gently caress is a set of Mishra's Bauble of all things $75? I mean I know the answer already but come on

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 26, 2016

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
October FNM promo is Rise from the Tide. Instead of saying "Put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield tapped for each instant and sorcery card in your graveyard." it is now "Create a tapped 2/2 black Zombie creature token or each instant and sorcery card in your graveyard." Interesting new templating, saves some space for an action that gets used all the time.

Edit: Reminder: Kaladesh will probably have lots of token generators, thopters at the very least.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 26, 2016

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Bring on the Thopter Artifact Planeswalker

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

stinkles1112 posted:

I was wondering what to suggest as a replacement for goyf, didn't even consider Mandrils but I can definitely see how that could end up at least as good as goyf. If it were me though, I'd stick that copy of Ranger of Eos in the main.

How in the whole gently caress is a set of Mishra's Bauble of all things $75? I mean I know the answer already but come on

Mandrils has been in the list for a while. Sometimes in addition to Goyf. Sometimes instead of it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

in case you can't figure out that you're supposed to play hamlet captain with humans

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

80s James Hetfield posted:

Bring on the Thopter Artifact Planeswalker

This is the steampunk plane I need in my life!!

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

BizarroAzrael posted:

October FNM promo is Rise from the Tide. Instead of saying "Put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield tapped for each instant and sorcery card in your graveyard." it is now "Create a tapped 2/2 black Zombie creature token or each instant and sorcery card in your graveyard." Interesting new templating, saves some space for an action that gets used all the time.

Edit: Reminder: Kaladesh will probably have lots of token generators, thopters at the very least.

Is it just me or does "Create" sound like it's going to be accompanied with an ETB rules change for tokens?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

in case you can't figure out that you're supposed to play hamlet captain with humans

This guy's presentations are fine for digesting PT numbers, but the format is pointless for this stuff.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

ThePeavstenator posted:

Is it just me or does "Create" sound like it's going to be accompanied with an ETB rules change for tokens?

Seems like it's just a wording change, and is nonfunctional. What sort of change do you think it's implying?

It's also bringing us closer to a world where it makes sense to assemble an contraption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

this is like the loosest definition of a combo ever

• Locked thread