Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Captain Novolin posted:

well, the amon fight made me mad enough to literally break a controller, something i have never done in my entire life.

good job for having the most bullshit boss in video games, yakuza 5

You're not alone. Last controller I broke was over one of the running sidequests in 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I had a nail-biting almost controller destroying battle against Amon in Dead Souls, it came down to one last hit for each of us to be dead.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I got a new PS4 and decided to reinstall some games I hadn't played in a while, including Ishin. It immediately came back to me how un-fun guns make combat. I guess somewhere inside me I wondered if they had patched the game since last time I have played make your revolver more powerful and then limit you to six shots between reloads, rather than just a thing you can fire over and over again at downed enemies for 1 damage each while the screen yells 33 HIT COMBO!!" at you.

Between that, other combat jankiness, the lovely crafting system, the card collecting dungeon minigame that looks like it should be f2p, and the spastic story where everyone has like three secret identities, there is such wasted potential in that game...

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 16, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also, I am playing some of Kenzan again and comparing them. Kenzan just knocks it out of the park for the very first moments. Also it immediately introduces Yoshino, definitely my favorite female character in the series. Shouldn't it make sense that the female lead in a Yakuza game be the richest and most badass hostess in town? Why isn't every game like that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbqNlI2bnfo&t=357s

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also, I am playing some of Kenzan again and comparing them. Kenzan just knocks it out of the park for the very first moments. Also it immediately introduces Yoshino, definitely my favorite female character in the series. Shouldn't it make sense that the female lead in a Yakuza game be the richest and most badass hostess in town? Why isn't every game like that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbqNlI2bnfo&t=357s

Because Yakuza sticks with manly values.

http://archive.is/BbwYx

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
NEW YAKUZA 6 TRAILER

https://youtu.be/U9drC64VXoE

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Hiroshima eh? Time to rewatch some Battle without Honor movies.

edit: it says this is the final chapter of the Kiryu Kazuma story.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 26, 2016

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Did......did someone hurt Haruka???? I'm already loving gone.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Holy poo poo, is that literally Takeshi Kitano? How did I miss that he's gonna be in Yakuza 6?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RandallODim posted:

Holy poo poo, is that literally Takeshi Kitano? How did I miss that he's gonna be in Yakuza 6?
I dunno, it was announced quite a while ago.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Someone in the comments said this is the final chapter of Kiryu and Haruka's story, and future games won't have them. Where did this come from? :(

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jamesman posted:

Someone in the comments said this is the final chapter of Kiryu and Haruka's story, and future games won't have them. Where did this come from? :(
I dunno where the end of Haruka comes from but it very clearly says the end of the legend of the Kiryu Kazuma in the end.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Seven mainline games, give it a rest.

Also, tough Yakuza pictured below

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I still can't believe we're getting 0, so I'm cautiously optimistic that this will be localized. Sega seems to be in an... okay state right now.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hiroshima eh? Time to rewatch some Battle without Honor movies.

edit: it says this is the final chapter of the Kiryu Kazuma story.

Maybe he just finally stays as the head of the clan this time and clamps this poo poo down.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think it is safe to say the game will be localized, the issue is it will be in 2019 at best.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Saoshyant posted:

Seven mainline games, give it a rest.

Also, tough Yakuza pictured below

He's gonna jam that spoon up someone's nose and into their brain without ever changing his facial expression (partially because his facial nerves were damaged in an accident but still).

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Slowly playing through Yak5 and loving every moment of the cutscenes and convos, it does being a serious wellwritten movie with real actors better than actual movies with actual actors. Yak6 ought to qualify for academy awards at this rate.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Aw man, I hope Kiryu doesn't die at the end of 6. I'd much prefer if he pass the torch on to other protagonists. One of which includes Haruka as she kicks rear end in the inevitable Yakuza 7.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

They didn't really hint at any additional playable characters out of the returning cast, like I'm sure Akiyama will be showing up for a scene or two but if they are serious ending Kazuma's Legacy (they are not), then a Kiriyu focused game is fitting.

Anyone been to Hiroshima before? How is the Parkour there

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Aw man, I hope Kiryu doesn't die at the end of 6. I'd much prefer if he pass the torch on to other protagonists. One of which includes Haruka as she kicks rear end in the inevitable Yakuza 7.

Haruka got so hosed up in the car accident she is litteraly Kick-rear end now

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Here's the trailer with English in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCImftgojHU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Anyone been to Hiroshima before? How is the Parkour there

Everything I know about modern day Hiroshima I learned from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF-CKA8AjnM

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I bet they'll always have a convenient out for kiryu so that if they dont get the funding to make another game, the series can end, but if they do they can come up with some crazy bullshit to pull him back in.

i mean, gently caress, getting cutscene stabbed in 3 didn't even stop him.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

If this is Kiryu's last game I'd kind of like it for him to be solo in it.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Part of Yakuza's appeal is it keeps the female cast from being part of the brawls. If Haruka was to be breaking some bones, she is going to be breaking the bones of sukeban and matriarchs.

Also, NotRikiya is here to be Kiryu's blood brother again.

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 26, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
as much as I love Yakuza how the gently caress is that "part of the appeal"

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Man they really do some crazy magic over there to get Yakuza looking that good.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Caitlin posted:

Yeah, I was pretty heartbroken when I found out that I would not, in fact, be judo-flipping punkass Yakuza around as Haruka in 5. And I thought Sayama was pretty badass in 2, and was again crushed when she flew back to her home planet. Maybe there's some cultural norm in Japan I don't know about, but I don't think it would exactly destroy the franchise for me if at some point a woman actually punched someone in the face every once in a while.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I know when I was playing The Running Girl for the third time instead of doing sick combos on people, I loved it and thought it was the best part of the series.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Caitlin posted:

I mentioned earlier that Sega is focused purely on manliness. They dont want it to be like those faux girl power beatem ups that Takaki produces. See Senran Kagura and Valkyrie Drive.

Yakuza is perhaps the only game that doesnt portray Japanese culture as some chuuni fantasy

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 26, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uh, that would only be true if they included clothing damage. there are plenty of belligerent punks to go around and it isn't like letting haruka punch some of them would retroactively make the series less manly.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

gyrobot posted:

I mentioned earlier that Sega is focused purely on manliness. They dont want it to be like those faux girl power beatem ups that Takaki produces. See Senran Kagura and Valkyrie Drive.

Yakuza is perhaps the only game that doesnt portray Japanese culture as some chuuni fantasy

Point 1 : work on your clarity because your other post implies that it is your perspective that having women severed from the fighting adds to the "appeal" - you have not specified if this is YOUR perspective or what you believe to be a cultural perspective or even one directly from Sega.

Point 2 : Senran Kagura and Valkyrie drive are not "faux girl power" games they're pandering to perverts (I should know, I own no fewer than three versions of Senran Kagura - yes I am calling myself a pervert)

Point 3 : "perhaps the only game that doesn't portray... chuuni fantasy" what a load of crap

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lol the games loaded with morally pristine yakuza are the sole remaining realistic portrayal of japanese culture

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Only by helping Doc Brown-sama test his Matrix machine will you understand the true heart of the Empire.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Serious Frolicking posted:

lol the games loaded with morally pristine yakuza are the sole remaining realistic portrayal of japanese culture

All Yakuza disputes are resolved by fiery passionate monologues and vigorous application of the same special move over and over.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
really we're lucky to get the yakuza games after titty games nearly poisoned the well for japanese games in the west :v:

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Caitlin posted:

Point 1 : work on your clarity because your other post implies that it is your perspective that having women severed from the fighting adds to the "appeal" - you have not specified if this is YOUR perspective or what you believe to be a cultural perspective or even one directly from Sega.

Point 2 : Senran Kagura and Valkyrie drive are not "faux girl power" games they're pandering to perverts (I should know, I own no fewer than three versions of Senran Kagura - yes I am calling myself a pervert)

Point 3 : "perhaps the only game that doesn't portray... chuuni fantasy" what a load of crap

Here is the quote from Nagoshi himself

quote:

For starters, the series has seen the audience getting younger, as Nagoshi explains that he sees more an increase of players in their 20s. Originally the player base was described as being in their 30s.
The most surprising part of the interview was when Nagoshi shared that as of now, 20% of current Yakuza players are female. Nagoshi goes on to say that despite these numbers, the series will still be made with male players in mind.
Lastly, when asked if they would put more effort into worldwide development, he answered that the series was always made for an adult male audience in Japan, and that they’ve ignored Asia and the Western market for that reason. However, after seeing the results the series has produced in Asia, the idea of selling more worldwide has come to his mind.

And by chuuni I mean not pandering to same audience who are the late night anime block viewers

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

a series being made with "male players in mind" is still more than capable of having a woman punch someone :psyduck:

I'm aware of the interview, I'm aware of all of it - but that quote really doesn't mean "women can't punch things" nor is that what I infer for it, it just means "we're not targeting an international demographic and will continue development the way we have before"

historically speaking in the context of the games no, women have not hit men, but tying these two concepts together seems ridiculous

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

That's not really what chuuni means either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Guys, I don't think this particular one is going to listen to, well, any argument.

gyrobot posted:

If therapy means a decent Japanese game then sure. But I would prefer insanity if Japan has to offer lately are games that leaves SJWs offended.

:stare:

• Locked thread