Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The idea of all of Nintendo's output being in one console sounds pretty dope, though I'm still wanting a straight up home console in my heart, I guess we'll see when this thing gets announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

this + the new zelda will usher in a new, golden age of gaming. the future is near.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Patter Song posted:

I think we'll get those specs in September.

I just realized that this concept could play into their "SCD" patent, the one for supplementary computing devices to add power to the NX. What if there were different tiers of the docks you plug this thing into to turn it into console mode, with more RAM?

"Replace your NX dock for the Super NX Dock. Trade in for only $49.99!" sounds like it could work like the N64 Expansion Pak did once upon a time.

That also could turn out to be just the home console dock. Where it normally is a powerful handheld, but then you dock it in for tv use and then games get a major fidelity upgrade. I mean, Nintendo already has games that work better/worse on different hardware (3DS/New 3DS). No need for it to be their version of the PS4 Neo yet.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Fellatio del Toro posted:

gently caress yeah Monster Hunter returns to the TV!!

It's never been a better time to be a gamer.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So if the NX does take over the handheld support the 3DS and Vita currently receive (quite likely), that's a ton of Japanese 3rd party support, all playable on the bigger screen if you want.

If they pull this off right, while they'll still miss most Western multiplats (barring kid-friendly stuff like Legos), at least they won't end up in the "this system is supported by Nintendo and Nintendo alone" state the Wii U did.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Nintendo needs to build a middleware/devkit platform that makes it easy for developers to make games run smoothly at the portable resolution and then seamlessly scale internal rendering resolution up, or even load higher-fidelity assets or enable additional graphics features, when hooked into the dock and its (hopefull) additional co-processors.

This has to be something devs don't have to worry about implementing on their own if Nintendo wants their scalability initiative to actually stick the landing.

Also I hope the non-docked config has USB ports so I can hook up my GCN controller even on the go.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I will gladly buy an NX if it means I can have a console and handheld with access to the same games. Being able to have a single game for at home and away from home (read: laying in bed) will be glorious! Now here's hoping they don't have a dozen add on peripherals and widgets and five controllers that are not universally functional with every game.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I have seen it, what is NX for video games.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There's a chance that the NX will be a more compelling target for ports than the Wii U. There's a lot of folks who would pay for a portable version of major console games.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Since all indications are that NX is going to be a cartridge system, what's the chance that it could have a slot to accept 3ds / maybe DS games to play on a bigger screen? Assuming that the NX controller will have a touch screen, of course.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
If I don't have the option to go digital on this thing I'll be surly.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Of course digital is going to be an option.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Feel like this is a load of wishful nerd thinking. I can't see them releasing a handheld when between the recent release of MonHun Generations and the November release of Pokemon Sun & Moon you'd have two really popular system sellers which wouldn't have a game ready for the NX in some time.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

Of course digital is going to be an option.

I think his concern is that games are going up to 32 GB and this thing is a handheld, it's not going to really hook up to an external hard drive (though the dock might).

You're going to need an entire drawer filled with SD cards if you go that route. Even if the NX starts out with a 64 GB SD card in it, that's, like, two full retail games. Even if most NX games don't come close to touching 32 GB in size, that's, like, 3 full retail games.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Chas McGill posted:

Even if there are hardware upgrades, I expect all games will be compatible: they'll just run at 60fps/higher resolution or whatever - much like the PS4K etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the handheld component has a lower res screen (720p would be fine if it's small) and then it uses extra power from the docking station to output a higher resolution for TVs.

i think this might be a bit too hopeful. maaybe, maaaaaaybe it will natively output 1080p and they'll bump the clock speed when on a/c power, but i would not count on it. co-processors in docking stations just don't work very well. sure some laptops have external graphics but its usually just a standard PCI expansion and that is like apples to oranges to what we're talking about. i mean its possible but you gotta occams' razor this - do you think nintendo is going to take a stretch with a feature that has never really worked well when ~their vision~ is easily attainable without that feature?

like a console dock with controller ports that upscales to 1080p is at this point not even fancy. it's just that nobody has bothered putting something like that together into a user experience.

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 26, 2016

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

Since all indications are that NX is going to be a cartridge system, what's the chance that it could have a slot to accept 3ds / maybe DS games to play on a bigger screen? Assuming that the NX controller will have a touch screen, of course.

Extremely unlikely. Reports make it seem like it's running on a very different chip from the 3DS and Wii U, so we're starting completely fresh.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

I kinda hope it doesn't, if I'm being real. 3DS games look awful if you try to blow them up past like a 3DS XL. Some 2D games might look okay, but anything involving a 3D model is gonna be a real pixelated mess.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

this sounds cool but what is the point of the detachable controllers

e: oh nevermind i didn't realize that you supposedly put the console on a docking station lol

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think of they really want Boxboy to run on the new system, they can just port it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

romanowski posted:

Motion control, we know its getting a version of Just Dance.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Feel like this is a load of wishful nerd thinking. I can't see them releasing a handheld when between the recent release of MonHun Generations and the November release of Pokemon Sun & Moon you'd have two really popular system sellers which wouldn't have a game ready for the NX in some time.

Eh.

MonHun X/Gen was just a game anniversary they made mostly reusing assets and engine tools from 4U. Also MonHun X/Gen has been out in Japan since last year.

I would not be shocked to see MonHun 5 on NX as a holiday game next fall/winter, at least in Japan. Dunno about the localization.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Dr Cheeto posted:

Both of those games look good on 3DS but are obviously 3DS games, not HD next gen looking getups. Nintendo also desperately needs them (especially Pokemon) to try and make some money before the NX finally releases as software is few and far between right now.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

romanowski posted:

huh i guess that is whats going around rumor mill

i just expected it to use wii remotes when its docked, but that is just crazy enough to work

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

deadly_pudding posted:

I kinda hope it doesn't, if I'm being real. 3DS games look awful if you try to blow them up past like a 3DS XL. Some 2D games might look okay, but anything involving a 3D model is gonna be a real pixelated mess.

If the NX has a Tegra X2 like signs are pointing to, that thing can easily toss out around Xbone level graphics.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
It is worth noting that the upcoming Sonic 2017 game is going to be on PS4 XBone and NX so that does suggest some level of similar performance between the hardware (unless the NX version is going to be a complete different game).

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dexo posted:

If the NX has a Tegra X2 like signs are pointing to, that thing can easily toss out around Xbone level graphics.

Can the Tegra X2 also create new assets that aren't designed for a 400x240 screen?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

nigga crab pollock posted:

huh i guess that is whats going around rumor mill

i just expected it to use wii remotes when its docked, but that is just crazy enough to work

Is that a mock up Eurogamer came up with based on what they heard, or from one of their sources? They're not really clear on that in the article.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Dexo posted:

If that thing has a Tegra X2 like signs are pointing to, that thing can easily toss out around Xbone level graphics.

i am incredibly hesitant to take nvida's claims of visual fidelity to the level of 'xbox one graphics' but i don't think they will disappoint. its probably going to be on par with the wiiu and i really don't expect anything better.

also i thought the signs were pointing to nintendo using AMD's new arm chipset but those were old rumors and i dunno if AMD's arm APU even materialized. or they're keeping it a secret. who knows :shrug:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Will it keep resistive screens?

Please Nintendo keep resistive screens.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Black Mage Knight posted:

It is worth noting that the upcoming Sonic 2017 game is going to be on PS4 XBone and NX so that does suggest some level of similar performance between the hardware (unless the NX version is going to be a complete different game).

It's weird Mania was not listed as being on NX though, since that seems it would be a cheaper and easier port.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

greatn posted:

Is that a mock up Eurogamer came up with based on what they heard, or from one of their sources? They're not really clear on that in the article.

On Tom Philips' twitter it says it's a mockup they (Eurogamer) came up with to try and explain how it will probably look.

limaCAT posted:

Buy a proper drawing board, you bum. THQ made these uDraw tablets that were all the rage (in destroying their company, that is) which can be found rather cheap while working on PC.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 26, 2016

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

greatn posted:

It's weird Mania was not listed as being on NX though, since that seems it would be a cheaper and easier port.

Mania is not being done by Sonic Team from what I could tell, so it probably is just a case of the smaller dev team not having access to the dev kit yet.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

greatn posted:

it looks like a patent drawing. its probably not indicative of the final product. i doubt game journalists would put the effort in to make a mockup and if they did it would likely be much more unrealistic than the picture up there

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Based on nintendos track record with handhelds the first model is going to be an ergonomic and design disaster.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

limaCAT posted:

:staredog:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

Can the Tegra X2 also create new assets that aren't designed for a 400x240 screen?

Graphics chipsets don't create assets.

Game Devs make assets. So yes Game Devs can make assets that look good a TV and a mobile Phone/Tablet sized screen.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dexo posted:

His point was 3DS backwards compatibility would look like poo poo.

Which is probably sadly true, though I have enjoyed DS games on the big screen with the Wii U VC.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

limaCAT posted:

But resistive screens suck

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
There are a huge amount of Nintendo followers who didn't care one bit about mobile / portable gaming, me included. To sacrifice power for the sake of portability is a kick in the nuts to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Black Mage Knight posted:

Watchdogs and cod are on wii u so the power could still be miles apart

• Locked thread