Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice
a while ago someone posted this big picture that very simply explained how to translate your svn knowledge/workflow into git, can someone repost it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Verdafolio posted:

a while ago someone posted this big picture that very simply explained how to translate your svn knowledge/workflow into git, can someone repost it?

git --sever HEAD

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

HoboMan posted:

wait there's .net 4.6???
for almost a year now, yeah

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Verdafolio posted:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

This is really a tale of two customers – both reasonably large and successful companies who’ve been using VS for many years. Both had reached out to us with saying they were having problems with sluggishness and stability when dealing with solution files containing 100s of projects and millions of files. One customer, for example, had a solution file with 500 projects (all .NET), which was making VS hang and crash from anywhere within five to 60 minutes of opening a solution. Another customer had a solution file with 200 projects (mostly .NET, but a handful of C++ projects). Though this project would load successfully, it was consuming a lot of CPU cycles, causing the IDE to be very sluggish while editing code, and the customer also experienced random crashes.

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

College Slice

the CTO gave me a very interesting death stare when i asked if we could use mercurial or why we even bother with a distributed versioning system if no more than one person usually works on anything at one time

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Verdafolio posted:

the CTO gave me a very interesting death stare when i asked if we could use mercurial or why we even bother with a distributed versioning system if no more than one person usually works on anything at one time

cargo cult programming. :toot:

i haven't seen the image you're looking for, but atlassian's tutorials are pretty good and iirc they compare distributed and non-distributed vcs a bit.

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

College Slice

jony neuemonic posted:

cargo cult programming. :toot:

i haven't seen the image you're looking for, but atlassian's tutorials are pretty good and iirc they compare distributed and non-distributed vcs a bit.

thx, my university only taught us svn and from what i'm hearing from the new intern, that's still the case.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

fart simpson posted:

nobody uses either and we've gone back to manually doing the task

Good job all round

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 26, 2016

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

HoboMan posted:

This is really a tale of two customers – both reasonably large and successful companies who’ve been using VS for many years. Both had reached out to us with saying they were having problems with sluggishness and stability when dealing with solution files containing 100s of projects and millions of files. One customer, for example, had a solution file with 500 projects (all .NET), which was making VS hang and crash from anywhere within five to 60 minutes of opening a solution. Another customer had a solution file with 200 projects (mostly .NET, but a handful of C++ projects). Though this project would load successfully, it was consuming a lot of CPU cycles, causing the IDE to be very sluggish while editing code, and the customer also experienced random crashes.

Okay, 500 projects is p. big, but 200 projects is ~same as my old job and we were terrible. :v:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Verdafolio posted:

as much as git works "fine" for anything, it works "fine" for centralized repos

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Xarn posted:

Okay, 500 projects is p. big, but 200 projects is ~same as my old job and we were terrible. :v:

lol we got 5 and are thinking that's too many and maybe we should split them up

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Captain Foo posted:

git --sever HEAD

haha I about snorted energy drink all over my keyboard thanks. I needed a good laugh. This week is one of those weeks that makes me question my career choices.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Finster Dexter posted:

haha I about snorted energy drink all over my keyboard thanks. I needed a good laugh. This week is one of those weeks that makes me question my career choices.

same, except every week, and instead of career choices decision to pursue a green card

maybe i should go back to the uk.... *brexit* oh.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Mr Dog posted:

same, except every week, and instead of career choices decision to pursue a green card

maybe i should go back to the uk.... *brexit* oh.

maybe you should stay in the us... *trump* oh.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

ok so I shelved a bunch of changes in tfs and now i want to work on them some more but selecting "unshelve" on my shelve set doesn't seem to do anything?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

HoboMan posted:

wait there's a frontpage 2016?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

help computer

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i really gotta get in the habit of merging the master into my feature branches more frequently. my merge conflicts are loving intractable

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

GameCube posted:

i really gotta get in the habit of merging the master into my feature branches more frequently. my merge conflicts are loving intractable

always
be
rebasing

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

GameCube posted:

rebase instead of merge imo but yes, it's a critical habit otherwise you're going to screw up a merge to master sooner or later.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

rebase only if nobody else touches your repository ever

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

woo, this turd finally compiles!

happy vs2015 day, me

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
is a project in visual studio analogous to a package?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the correct time to rebase is when you have a local/private branch and you want to take all your commits and bring them in front like you made your work right now on a current thing.

- you make a local copy of master (or the branch)
- you make sure your branch has no remote copy (so no one is depending on it). if you had a branch, 'git checkout -b rebase-branchname' so you have a new one
- you select that local branch and go on there
- you 'git rebase master' or git rebase localbranchname'
- fix all the conflicts if any
- you push your branch to the target remote repo as if it were brand new

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Bloody posted:

rebase only if nobody else touches your repository ever

if your teams process is sensible, your feature branches should always be safe to rebase.

master and other shared branches though? yeah no rebasing. ever.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

as someone who has never not just committed to master i have no idea what you all are talking about

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
what do yall use in academia/corporate/sm.biz for a git platform

tia

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

graph posted:

what do yall use in academia for a git platform

tia

I just use git from the command line + github private repositories.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

graph posted:

what do yall use in academia/corporate/sm.biz for a git platform

tia

our company uses gitlab

i use github personally

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

in academia we just used the command line
for myjob.biz it's integrated into the IDE
if the language you're using don't have an IDE then use a different language

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

help i just keep refactoring my 3d engine code over and over so it makes more sense

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

we use w/e client we want and gitlab

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

If you work at someplace that is heavily invested into the Atlassian ecosystem, there is also hosted bitbucket, but the vanilla bitbucket.org is decent, and offers free private repos.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

HoboMan posted:

in academia we just used the command line
for myjob.biz it's integrated into the IDE
if the language you're using don't have an IDE then use a different language

sublime text is an ide right?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Luigi Thirty posted:

help i just keep refactoring my 3d engine code over and over so it makes more sense

i don't see the problem here, you've developed a way to make this hobby project last forever

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

jony neuemonic posted:

rebase instead of merge imo but yes, it's a critical habit otherwise you're going to screw up a merge to master sooner or later.

yeah that

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

academia: command line (as it should be), github, gitlab, bitbucket (old stuff and legacy svn), and a private mirror

my last industry job we used some horrible pre-gitlab self-hosted github-like and it was bad bad bad, and still occasionally svn which was worse worse worse

but im also old enough to remember all-hands meetings spending hours designing checkout strategies for cvs, and the dude whose job it was to go around and yell at people for not sticking to the plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

we use bitbucket but it's an older version so it's still called stash and it sucks

• Locked thread