Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
When did superhero comic stories start spanning multiple titles? Eg a story that begins in Action Comics continues in the next issue of Adventures of Superman, followed by the next issue of Man of Steel. I'm reading through some back issues of various Superman comics, and I noticed that this trend seemed to start around 1987. When did it start? Did Marvel do it? Why was it done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kurzon posted:

When did superhero comic stories start spanning multiple titles? Eg a story that begins in Action Comics continues in the next issue of Adventures of Superman, followed by the next issue of Man of Steel. I'm reading through some back issues of various Superman comics, and I noticed that this trend seemed to start around 1987. When did it start? Did Marvel do it? Why was it done?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDTwO0TlwOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

AndyElusive posted:

Nothing in the trailer makes it seem like a typical villain smashing flick, if anything it actually looks like they're trying to get INTO something. Other than Batfleck talking about something bad coming and the hints that BvS leaves during it's denouement do we even know if there's a big bad in Justice League?

Except it's got the exact same plot as the Avengers - lackey of main villain comes to Earth looking for magic box.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

PriorMarcus posted:

Except it's got the exact same plot as the Avengers - lackey of main villain comes to Earth looking for magic box.

Does it? I thought the motherbox things are something that Darkseid has basically an unlimited supply of. Wouldn't the story be more like "mystery box hold the clue to what the deal with mysterious attacker"?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

greatn posted:

Does it? I thought the motherbox things are something that Darkseid has basically an unlimited supply of. Wouldn't the story be more like "mystery box hold the clue to what the deal with mysterious attacker"?

They've mentioned that there are 3 of them and Cyborg was created using one.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Looking forward to the Honest Trailer that calls Justice League out as a rip-off, but makes it look better by showing Avengers footage side-by-side.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

AndyElusive posted:

After they removed Doomsdays body, Batman must have retrieved the krytonite spear.

Just use that on Brainwashed Supermans brain.

Did they actually remove Doomsday's body though? Given how Superman just left a bunch of Kryptonian tech lying around in MoS, along with propping Zod's body up in a train station like Weekend At Bernies, no reason to assume anyone would be any smarter this time around.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kurzon posted:

Marvel did this a lot in the late 80s/90s. A story would happen across multiple series, then culminate in an annually released longer issue that would have some other short stories and stuff in it too. I assume just to get people to buy issues of series they normally wouldn't.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They've mentioned that there are 3 of them and Cyborg was created using one.

Yeah, supposedly the deal is that Darkseid invaded a long time ago and was repulsed by an alliance of humans, Atlanteans, and Amazons. Three boxes got left behind, one in each race's hands. Steppenwolf is coming to retrieve the boxes.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
I've checked out all the released trailers. I think Dr. Strange looks awesome and definitely 'different' than the usual Marvel movies. I wonder how (or if, or when) they will fold him into the larger MCCU. Probably when Thanos comes on the scene.

I like Marvel but ultimately I am a much bigger DC fanboy. I thought the Wonder Woman trailer looked amazing. I can't wait to see it. I think it looks great and stays true to the character.
I didn't like the concept of a Suicide Squad movie but after seeing all the trailers it's growing on me. Regardless if its good or bad at the very least the movie looks fun, which is not something most people would say about MoS or BvS. And I think the DCCU needs and injection of fun. (Just to be clear, I am not advocating for Whedon-esque quips being thrown around all the time, just a little more levity).

The Justice League trailer I was not as excited by. I am a huge Justice League fan and I just got finished re-reading a huge chunk of the 1997 JLA series. The trailer looked like it's going too far into quips to try to show that the tone is different than in BvS. The Flash scene in particular goes on for too long for a trailer, trying to drive home "Look how funny The Flash is" (EDIT, I just re-watched it and I guess it's technically not a 'trailer' but 'Special Comic-con Footage', whatever). But ultimately the scene doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it's because I just got finished reading 'Tower of Babel' (which I think would be an awesome story to adapt for like the 3rd or 4th JL movie) but I don't understand why Batman would openly reveal his secret identity to an 'unknown' metahuman on the off chance that the person is trustworthy. Also Batman seemed to not know what the Flash's powers were even though he should have an idea after seeing Lex's files in BvS. Maybe in the movie Batman's already researched and vetted Barry Allen so he is just playing dumb but that's all I could think watching that scene. Also it's funny if Batman doesn't know what the Flash can do and chucking batarangs at people is just his test for perspective teammates.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Kurzon posted:

Since always? That's why I always got the Trade Paperbacks, which is just a big comic book that contains a complete storyline. I don't see how people can read individual comics.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

He threw a Batarang at him, he knew his powers. He was just surprised by seeing his speed in person.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

King of Foolians posted:

Also Batman seemed to not know what the Flash's powers were even though he should have an idea after seeing Lex's files in BvS.

Uhh... he clearly knew what the Flash's powers were? It's pretty obvious?

He threw the batarang to get the Flash to out himself since he was playing dumb.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The "So.... you're fast?" line seems to imply that he did not know.

He should know, but that line is very clumsy and makes it seem like he didn't.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

In think that line was there to establish a baseline between the two.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

This is dialogue chopped up for a sneak peak. The lines aren't even in the same order that was reported from the set visit.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The "So.... you're fast?" line seems to imply that he did not know.

He should know, but that line is very clumsy and makes it seem like he didn't.

It's playful sarcasm. I thought it came across pretty clearly, but I guess some people read it differently. Like if you met Michael Jordon and made a joke along the lines of, "So I hear you're pretty good at basketball?" The talk to fish line is the same thing.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Jimbot posted:

A lot of those new scenes are great. It makes explicit what you'd have to extrapolate in the theatrical cut. It changes the courtroom scene completely too.
How did the courtroom scene change? Didn't seem any different.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Crows Turn Off posted:

In two ways, It's revealed that the wheelchair bomb was lead lined and there's an added scene of Superman trying to help the wounded immediately after the bombing, which works way better than the scene of him standing in flames in my opinion.

Edit - And the changed context of the hearing, as others have said.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 26, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Crows Turn Off posted:

The scene itself is the same, but there's footage of Superman helping people hurt in the blast right after, and making it explicitly clear that Superman wasn't aware of the bomb because it had been lined with lead.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
There's also the fact that in the Ultimate Edition the Senator is explicitly about to expose Lex. "Today is a day for truth..." becomes not about Superman's responses (and the implication that he's been lying), but how Lex has been manipulating the public. That, and the lead lining, softened up the scene quite a bit.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Also, Senator's lines get a completely different meaning when you know that she' s actually aware of what really happened in Africa and is about to reveal it rather than just speechifying about the abstract 'truth' as an intro to the Superman's hearing.

Edit: beaten.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

teagone posted:

Suicide Squad clip that was shown during the cast interview on Conan

https://twitter.com/SSquadUpdates/status/757064031316250624

Margot Robbie is perfect.
My friend and I just kept drunkenly repeating "THIS IS KATANA" it's such a funny delivery
THIS IS KATANAAAAA
DON'T LET HER KILL YOU MAAAN, HER SWORD WILL EAT YOUR SOUL

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

TheFallenEvincar posted:

My friend and I just kept drunkenly repeating "THIS IS KATANA" it's such a funny delivery
THIS IS KATANAAAAA

Kinnaman is such an odd choice for Flag, I love the guy as an actor but I'm not sure this one's going to work.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

TheFallenEvincar posted:

THIS IS KATANAAAAA

Wow. That is the worst clip from the movie I have seen by far. I started out at a 9 on the excitement scale for Suicide Squad, but every promo piece I have seen after the first trailer has been disappointing.

I'm still going to see it and hopefully they will surprise me while my expectations have been gradually lowered.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

In two ways, It's revealed that the wheelchair bomb was lead lined and there's an added scene of Superman trying to help the wounded immediately after the bombing, which works way better than the scene of him standing in flames in my opinion.

Edit - And the changed context of the hearing, as others have said.

Not to go all tactical-realism, but you'd think lead lining would be a dead giveaway.

Maybe that's why they cut it in the original- either way, it sort of comes down to Superman's mind not really being on looking for potential threats.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Basebf555 posted:

Kinnaman is such an odd choice for Flag, I love the guy as an actor but I'm not sure this one's going to work.

I guess I haven't seen the right movies of his, because I've found him to be a non-presence in most things I've seen. Other than House of Cards, I suppose, where he plays a GOP wunderkind who's a well-oiled PR robot running for President. Not that he's necessarily standout in that role, either, just well-suited to it. Ironically, he plays a better robot there than the new RoboCop.

Jai Courtney has this problem worse for me, though. Other than Spartacus, he's had the blandest roles. It doesn't help that he and Sam Worthington have essentially blended into the same fog of whiteness in their respective projects.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xealot posted:

I guess I haven't seen the right movies of his, because I've found him to be a non-presence in most things I've seen. Other than House of Cards, I suppose, where he plays a GOP wunderkind who's a well-oiled PR robot running for President. Not that he's necessarily standout in that role, either, just well-suited to it. Ironically, he plays a better robot there than the new RoboCop.

He almost carried an entire t.v. show on is shoulders in The Killing. I can't really recommend that you go watch it, I guess you'll have to take my word for it that he's great in it.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

The scene itself is the same, but there's footage of Superman helping people hurt in the blast right after, and making it explicitly clear that Superman wasn't aware of the bomb because it had been lined with lead.
Oh, yeah. I thought the specific scene was the same, but you're right about the other things.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

Not to go all tactical-realism, but you'd think lead lining would be a dead giveaway.

Maybe that's why they cut it in the original- either way, it sort of comes down to Superman's mind not really being on looking for potential threats.

He told Lois later that he wasn't even looking. He was to focused on what he was going to say, he put on metaphorical blinders.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Wow. That is the worst clip from the movie I have seen by far. I started out at a 9 on the excitement scale for Suicide Squad, but every promo piece I have seen after the first trailer has been disappointing.

I'm still going to see it and hopefully they will surprise me while my expectations have been gradually lowered.
It's charmingly stupid for me, which is the least I can ask for in comic book movies

THIS IS KATANAAAAAAA
she's my bodyguard
she is japanese
obviously

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
It's insane how good Pfeiffer is in Batman Returns.
It's insane that this film was bankrolled by a major studio.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
So that explains why Katana hasn't spoken in any prior footage.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Nah. When Harley asks everyone what they're having at the bar, she says she'll have a whiskey

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Karen Fukuhara speaks both English and Japanese fluently. She's from LA. Worked on Disney shows in Japan.

Also apparently is a martial arts champion.

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, supposedly the deal is that Darkseid invaded a long time ago and was repulsed by an alliance of humans, Atlanteans, and Amazons. Three boxes got left behind, one in each race's hands. Steppenwolf is coming to retrieve the boxes.

This is backed up by a group of people burying one in the JL trailer.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmO2ArIRhQs

The more I think about it, the more I hope that "Go get it, girl" line is really in Suicide Squad. I like that David Ayer seems to be pushing for this more ambiguously 'nurturing' relationship between Palmer and the Enchantress. (No, I don't think she really cares about June Moone.

That would also create a really effective parallel with the Joker and Harley's relationship, this use of 'alter-ego' to explore themes of coercive relationships, the personal being fully political.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kurzon posted:

You saw a little bit in the 1960's with a story in Avengers shifting to Fantastic Four or things along those lines. By the 1970's it was happening relatively often but not so much that it would drive you crazy. In 1980's under the more controlling editorial regimes it really took off.

Before Marvel got it underway around 1963 (I don't think they really started until they were publishing several titles a month), it almost never happened because there was almost no continuity even within a title's own pages. Events that happen in Flash #109 don't get talked about in Flash #110, for example (the rare exceptions to this in the golden and early silver age tend to be pretty interesting from a historical perspective). Even in Justice League, there was no tying stories back to the character's own titles.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Did they actually remove Doomsday's body though? Given how Superman just left a bunch of Kryptonian tech lying around in MoS, along with propping Zod's body up in a train station like Weekend At Bernies, no reason to assume anyone would be any smarter this time around.

I like the casual dismissal by omission the possibility that an inactive skyscraper-sized starship is, perhaps, not very easy to relocate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Xealot posted:

]
Jai Courtney has this problem worse for me, though. Other than Spartacus, he's had the blandest roles.
I'm willing to give Courtney the benefit of the doubt here. He gets to take the leash off of his Australianism instead of investing half his brain into sounding American, so there's a shot he'll be better as a result.

• Locked thread