Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Maybe. The oubliette isn't even the most reliable means of dealing with people any more - in my current Amalfi game I imprisoned a rival patrician and he survived 26 years in the hole before I accidentally ransomed him.

I don't think you need a county in the duchy to bestow it, though, so long as you have a lower title you can spare. It's slightly messy, but you can make someone the Count of Midlovnovia and use that to open the option to give him any duchy in your realm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You can actually fabricate claims on your own vassals' titles, and having a strong claim on a title enables you to revoke it tyranny-free. It's become my favorite way of dealing with rear end in a top hat vassals.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
That actually makes me wonder a bit; why can I sometimes plot to revoke/fabricate claims on poo poo but sometimes not? Hovering over the impossible plots doesn't say why I can't.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Jedit posted:

You're allowed one freebie on traitors. You can revoke one of their titles - usually the highest - or you can execute them and have everything go to his heir, but not take all their titles or strip and execute. Rulers did do this in history, but attainting people was not popular.
One freebie per traitorous act, which can stack. Ask me about completely revoking all of a vassal's titles after he refused to stop backing a plot against another vassal.

axeil posted:

I wish there was a better way to deal with leaders of revolts. Right now if you execute them their heir ends up hating you and will probably rebel in a year or two just like dear old dad did. If you take their highest title, you usually can't hand it out to someone else because you don't have any counties in the duchy and the rest of your dukes get pissed for having too many ducal titles.

I usually just let them sit in jail until they die, but it seems really game-y and a-historical. You should at least be able to take a single county if you also take a duchy. Maybe make it so you can take only one title at each level (baron/count/duke/king)? I'd also stipulate that this should probably only be the punishment for a leader of a revolt. Just joining should have lesser punishment than leading it.
Personally my usual method is just to dump it on another already-landed vassal of my dynasty, preferably one that's still in gavelkind and has a slightly low opinion of me. They're less likely to rebel against me, and if they already have other lands they'll probably be able to put down any factions trying to restore Duke Traitor.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

That actually makes me wonder a bit; why can I sometimes plot to revoke/fabricate claims on poo poo but sometimes not? Hovering over the impossible plots doesn't say why I can't.

There's a kind of complicated flowchart that determines which titles you can plot to revoke/fabricate claims for. The short version is that you can plot to revoke county titles that are in your home duchy (the duchy containing your capital), county titles owned by a duke that are outside their de jure territory, duchy titles owned by dukes that don't have any county titles that that territory, or county titles owned by counts that aren't their capital (i.e if they have more that one county but are not a duke).

Then there's a whole bunch of things that invalidate targets even if they meet those criteria - if you have a truce with them, or if you recently granted the title, or if it's a merchant republic you can't plot to revoke.

To plot to fabricate a title, it either has to be your liege, or a title owned by a fellow vassal within which you control a territory (i.e you are both dukes under the same King, and you have a county in their duchy you can plot for a claim on the duchy title). If you're the heir to the title you can't plot for a claim on it but then why would you? Just plot to assassinate and save yourself a war.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I'm playing the game version directly before Conclave (2.4.5 I think? Whatever Steam lets you pick off the beta menu) with all expansions enabled except Sunset Invasion (and Conclave of course). Playing a standard Catholic king.

When a duke vassal has the opinion penalty for "desires control of the county of ____" is it better to transfer vassalage of that county to him, or to another one of your dukes? I have medium crown authority so the two dukes won't be able to go to war over the county, but making 2 vassals dislike each other seems like it could be beneficial to keep them from conspiring against me. Do the taxes/levies work out differently depending on which guy I transfer the county to?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Parallax Scroll posted:

When a duke vassal has the opinion penalty for "desires control of the county of ____" is it better to transfer vassalage of that county to him, or to another one of your dukes? I have medium crown authority so the two dukes won't be able to go to war over the county, but making 2 vassals dislike each other seems like it could be beneficial to keep them from conspiring against me. Do the taxes/levies work out differently depending on which guy I transfer the county to?

Yeah, you'll get less taxes from the justly irritated Pretty Borders Faction. :colbert:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah, you'll get less taxes from the justly irritated Pretty Borders Faction. :colbert:

So... is transferring vassalage of a county to somewhere outside its de jure duchy an effective way of weakening dukes?

Edit: It has the drawback of making raising levies less convenient, now that I think about it.

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 26, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
There's a new dev diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads%2Fck2-dev-diary-16-mans-inhumanity-to-man.956080%2F

I love this sorta immersive detail stuff; I wish more of this sorta thang was also being added in patches, where someone just thought of an event and tossed it in.

I guess I have mods for that, but until "Life is Tribal" and "Shattered World" and now AtE I never really liked to play with mods. Except the one by Wiz, because he rightly buffed Iceland.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

There's a new dev diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads%2Fck2-dev-diary-16-mans-inhumanity-to-man.956080%2F

I love this sorta immersive detail stuff; I wish more of this sorta thang was also being added in patches, where someone just thought of an event and tossed it in.

We can now literally recite Vogon poetry to our captives. :allears: All we need now is for Iceland to occasionally spawn characters with both Strong and Brawny.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

quote:

I should also mention that with the 2.6 patch it is no longer possible to escape from House arrest unless someone with the Intrigue focus breaks you out, so if for some reason you want to be nice to your prisoners they are no longer virtually guaranteed to escape.
A welcome change, the way imprison currently works is really quite silly.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I guess I have mods for that, but until "Life is Tribal" and "Shattered World" and now AtE I never really liked to play with mods. Except the one by Wiz, because he rightly buffed Iceland.

"We have 31 execution methods, including Hanging, Crushing, Sawing, and Bear."

:allears:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

axeil posted:

"We have 31 execution methods, including Hanging, Crushing, Sawing, and Bear."

:allears:
My thoughts exactly.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
The torture/execution stuff was one of the first parts of this we did, so I got to tell our 2 brand new Content Designers, fresh out of games school: "OK, I need you to research and implement a bunch of horrible execution methods, have fun!"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

The torture/execution stuff was one of the first parts of this we did, so I got to tell our 2 brand new Content Designers, fresh out of games school: "OK, I need you to research and implement a bunch of horrible execution methods, have fun!"

Can we take it that the entire Rajas of India DLC was made to justify the addition of being able to execute someone by having them trampled by an elephant?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jedit posted:

Can we take it that the entire Rajas of India DLC was made to justify the addition of being able to execute someone by having them trampled by an elephant?

This better be in there, along with feeding them to your pet tigers or gorillas.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
^^^ Elephants/Tigers are in

Jedit posted:

That and the Kali feast :ssh:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Is there a release date for this new DLC yet? Also will it be save game compatible? I'm trying to do a Byzantine Charlemagne to end date marathon game and don't want to have to stop midway through :ohdear:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

^^^ Elephants/Tigers are in

What about using a special glass construction to immolate them with the Sun as Zunbils?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Does torture have any other effects other than maiming/releasing the guy? I think I could get some use out of it if it made people shrug away from factions a little bit, or something, but as it stands I'd rather keep a threat in jail rather than angering him and setting him loose.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Does torture have any other effects other than maiming/releasing the guy? I think I could get some use out of it if it made people shrug away from factions a little bit, or something, but as it stands I'd rather keep a threat in jail rather than angering him and setting him loose.

Isn't there a -10 malus to maimed characters?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It always struck me as somewhat odd that there was never any fear positive modifier. Like "drat, I better not try and gently caress with this dude as he literally had an entire dynasty castrated for a rebellion, I better not gently caress with him"

That reminds me though, there's no-one in AtE that has the Byzantine torture mechanics? There was something so deeply satisfying about seeing that one rear end in a top hat slowly losing more and more parts as he kept rebelling before I had him banished.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Darkrenown please make bad poetry much more likely to cause insanity if you have the fantasy stuff enabled. I want to be able to employ legendarily terrible poetry as a weapon.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

axeil posted:

Is there a release date for this new DLC yet? Also will it be save game compatible? I'm trying to do a Byzantine Charlemagne to end date marathon game and don't want to have to stop midway through :ohdear:

Late August. It should be more or less save game compatible, but no guarantee everything will work 100%, for example anything that check for a specific game rule wouldn't fire as your game wasn't made with game rules - shouldn't be too big a deal.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Darkrenown posted:

Bad poetry. Rulers with the Poet trait may deploy their very worst poems against a prisoner. While a comparatively mild punishment, it nonetheless has a slight chance to drive them mad.

Finally, a King of Dragon Pass mod is feasible.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Also how long does tyranny last? Forgot to change my horse council and now errybody rather irritated about the chain revokes.

As in, -270 for just the tyranny aside from the vassal revocations. Thankfully, a dude I'm already aware of tried to kill me earlier and so everyone joined his, which meant that I could just chain demand they stop~

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Darkrenown posted:

Suddenly I feel tempted to do a honest-to-god Indian ruler playthrough, just so as I can reenact this scene in my head everytime this happens. (!NWS!)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Holy poo poo this DLC is kinda disturbing.

Yet, I feel drawn to it...

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

It always struck me as somewhat odd that there was never any fear positive modifier. Like "drat, I better not try and gently caress with this dude as he literally had an entire dynasty castrated for a rebellion, I better not gently caress with him"

Yeah, this is was I was looking at for torture. If I maim a bunch of rebels and malcontents and then release them back to their dutchies, I'm going to expect people to either lose their poo poo immediately at how awful I am, or calm the hell down to avoid a similar fate.

As it sounds, all I'm going to do is piss off and release another potential enemy.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah, this is was I was looking at for torture. If I maim a bunch of rebels and malcontents and then release them back to their dutchies, I'm going to expect people to either lose their poo poo immediately at how awful I am, or calm the hell down to avoid a similar fate.

As it sounds, all I'm going to do is piss off and release another potential enemy.

This would be great, kind people would be royally pissed off while craven would be scared and cruel like you more, zealots would be ok with it as long as it's against heathens etc..

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

Late August. It should be more or less save game compatible, but no guarantee everything will work 100%, for example anything that check for a specific game rule wouldn't fire as your game wasn't made with game rules - shouldn't be too big a deal.

Awesome, thanks! I think the game rules bit is a really good feature. I know I prefer playing without shattered retreats so the ability to toggle that and keep Ironman is a welcome change.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I havent played CKII in forever - what is a "Shattered Retreat"? How is it different than how it worked ~2 years ago?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's a mechanic from EUIV - when an army is defeated (shattered in battle, not commanded to retreat by the player), instead of a nearby province it heads through several provinces towards safe territory/friendly realm/friendly army. This is "shattered retreat". They can't be controlled by the player or engaged in battle while in retreat. This complicates warfare since armies can't be ping-ponged into oblivion.

(This doesn't apply to Peasant, Religious, or Nationalist rebel armies, which are annihilated upon defeat).

Armies will now also replenish in friendly territory, which also complicates war.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 26, 2016

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Shattered retreat makes the retreating group flee through multiple counties before it can be controlled again. During their retreat they won't join any battles, so you can't keep walking after a retreating group smashing them repeatedly. You need to wait until they come to a stop before they can enter battle or be given orders.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Bort Bortles posted:

I havent played CKII in forever - what is a "Shattered Retreat"? How is it different than how it worked ~2 years ago?

Pretty much what everyone else said. It makes battles work like they do in EUIV. Which I think is a good system for EUIV where you had professional armies and you could lose a battle and not be completely annihilated. Unfortunately, in the middle ages the armies weren't very professional (save the Eastern Roman Empire, but the ERE doesn't fit nicely into CK2 anyway) so if they were crushed in a huge battle you'd most likely have your army scatter to the winds and the war would be over.

Also I've been playing without it for something like 3 or 4 years and I don't like change.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Can anyone please give me a quick primer on how war score works? I have gone to war with England to take my one of my Irish duchies. I hold all the holdings in 2 of the 3 counties, and sit at about 20% war score. They have won 2 major battles and it cost me 40-50% war score. I have won two major battles and killed two of their kings and I don't get jack poo poo. What makes some battles major point swings and other inconsequential?

I may just give up on this game, its getting beyond frustrating. I don't think I have had a rule live past 30 in probably 5 generations. Constant regencies get real old when they are rule not the exception.

Edit: looked at the numbers, battles where I killed their King? 7.2 and 6. Battle that was a major route and cost me a poo poo ton to hire mercenaries? 1.6%. Their battles range from 17-35%. Do they just stack the numbers in favor of the computer as an AI balancing thing? Sigh, I had to fire my mercenaries before they turned and England pulled another 10k worth of men out of their rear end. Down another 20%. Too bad holding territories doesn't seem to count for poo poo.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 26, 2016

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Events for dead relatives is cool, wonder if they'll ever add in beatification and sainthood like in CK1. It was cool having a saint or two in the family tree

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Demon_Corsair posted:

Can anyone please give me a quick primer on how war score works? I have gone to war with England to take my one of my Irish duchies. I hold all the holdings in 2 of the 3 counties, and sit at about 20% war score. They have won 2 major battles and it cost me 40-50% war score. I have won two major battles and killed two of their kings and I don't get jack poo poo. What makes some battles major point swings and other inconsequential?

I may just give up on this game, its getting beyond frustrating. I don't think I have had a rule live past 30 in probably 5 generations. Constant regencies get real old when they are rule not the exception.

Edit: looked at the numbers, battles where I killed their King? 7.2 and 6. Battle that was a major route and cost me a poo poo ton to hire mercenaries? 1.6%. Their battles range from 17-35%. Do they just stack the numbers in favor of the computer as an AI balancing thing? Sigh, I had to fire my mercenaries before they turned and England pulled another 10k worth of men out of their rear end. Down another 20%. Too bad holding territories doesn't seem to count for poo poo.

Warscore is the same for players and AI. It sounds like they are getting more warscore from battles because they have wiped out most of your army leaving you to hire mercs you can't afford while you have only killed a local detachment of theirs. It's also unlikely the land you hold in Ireland is owned by the English King, it's probably a vassal's, taking the King's land would be worth more war score. But better yet, fully occupy the "war target" (the title you declared war for) and you'll get a gradually increasing amount of war score for holding it - keep it for a while and you win.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Shattered retreat sucks and it makes surrounding a county pointless instead of awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I should have figured it was just like EU4. That does sound pretty meh for CKII.

• Locked thread