Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Bowlsby traded you to the MAC for Miami in what he thought was a fleecing.

Rude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The timing of this is semi tragic for Tulane. Willie Fritz will have them competing for AAC titles within 2 or 3 years. If this was happening then, their biggest negative wouldn't be there.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
What is Texas' angle in supporting Houston to the Big 12? Are they hoping UH will siphon recruits away from Baylor/Tech/TCU but not themselves? Is it some kind of favor for the powers that be in state politics in hopes that when they decide to leave the conference they won't try to stop them? Are they trying to expand their voting bloc to keep up with expansion expansion of the conference as a whole?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 23, 2016

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

General Dog posted:

What is Texas' angle in supporting Houston to the Big 12? Are they hoping UH will siphon recruits away from Baylor/Tech/TCU but not themselves? Is it some kind of favor for the powers that be in state politics in hopes that when they decide to leave the conference they won't try to stop them? Are they trying to expand their voting bloc to keep up with expansion expansion of the conference as a whole?

Pressure from the Texas government Tech's president issued a similar statement) + trying to stem the flow of recruits from Texas going to the SEC + horse trading to get UT-Houston off the ground

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

General Dog posted:

The big plan seems to be that UH will drop their opposition to the UT Houston campus in exchange for Texas helping them get into the Big 12. However UH is doing this with the understanding that, even with Texas's help, they may not get admitted into the Big 12.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

The big plan seems to be that UH will drop their opposition to the UT Houston campus in exchange for Texas helping them get into the Big 12. However UH is doing this with the understanding that, even with Texas's help, they may not get admitted into the Big 12.

Nice

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Tech's tepid support may come in similar fashion, in regards to the vet school that we are trying to build.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Thoguh posted:

Houston had one good season and everybody is acting like they've arrived for good. Recruiting grounds or no most schools who have a good year or two fade away once they lose their coach and/or a couple key players. They might end up being a permanent G5 fixture but they aren't there at the moment.

The core fundamentals for Houston are way better than they are for Iowa State. That's why I think Texas wants them. It won't threaten Texas at all, but will further weaken mid tier Big XII teams.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Kim Jong Il posted:

The core fundamentals for Houston are way better than they are for Iowa State. That's why I think Texas wants them. It won't threaten Texas at all, but will further weaken mid tier Big XII teams.

Why would any other Texas based team or OKC State (or really anyone else recruiting out of Texas that isn't Texas) want to vote Houston in?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Why would Texas need to weaken the "midtier" teams anyway. They already have no real bargaining position and will have to eat their dog's dinner if push comes to shove.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Kim Jong Il posted:

Do you mean weaken them financially, or that they're going to siphon talent away from the mid tier? If they're hoping for the latter, then Texas may want to look at how many head to head recruiting battles they've lost to Baylor and TCU in recent years and reconsider.

As far as Iowa State, I don't think anybody would try to argue that they don't suck (except in wrestling, I feel you Thoguh), but "better than Iowa State" is a pretty low hurdle to clear if you're looking to expand.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
ISU's president has stated that he feels the conference is too Texas heavy. That falls in line with the idea that Texas and tech are supporting Houston only in the knowledge that there is strong enough opposition in the rest of the conference to mean there is no chance that they are invited in the end.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

El Penis posted:

FWIW I hope UH isn't seriously considering this offer because it is letting Texas gently caress UH. This deal (by itself, anyway) won't get us in the Big 12, AND it will force UH to the sideline while the UT system buries academic UH under a mountain of money.

If the Big 12 wants no part of UH then so be it, but if UH's long term fate is a FCS-like subdivision with rivalries with Sam Houston State and Houston Baptist, at least there doesn't have to be one with UTH.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 24, 2016

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

UT@H

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Don't you mean h@tu

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Kim Jong Il posted:

Other than "being in Houston with access to lots of recruits" what makes you say they have better "core fundamentals" than any other G5 school? They're a commuter school that is running a huge deficit and their athletic department is basically just the football team.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Thoguh posted:

Other than "being in Houston with access to lots of recruits" what makes you say they have better "core fundamentals" than any other G5 school? They're a commuter school that is running a huge deficit and their athletic department is basically just the football team.

:salt:

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Thoguh posted:

And UCF's credentials are along a similar basis - the basketball and baseball teams have made noise previously but nothing in the last decade or so.

If the B12 is looking to expand they're going to have to pick from a pool of schools that all fall in a similar demographic.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

Other than "being in Houston with access to lots of recruits" what makes you say they have better "core fundamentals"

It is literally just this. I assume Rutgers hangs "core fundamentals" banners in the stadium or something

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

It is literally just this. I assume Rutgers hangs "core fundamentals" banners in the stadium or something

Also NYC Media Market

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Having football success, a television footprint, and a good recruiting area are really important. Having good women's basketball is not.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Rutgers had one of those things and still got in, so there is always hope.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Kim Jong Il posted:

Having football success, a television footprint, and a good recruiting area are really important. Having good women's basketball is not.

Really, it's 90% television footprint.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Kim Jong Il posted:

CharlestheHammer posted:

Rutgers had one of those things and still got in, so there is always hope.

Just thought of Don Imus for the first time in years, thanks rear end in a top hat.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I don't get the TV argument, seems like its way less important given that it seems obvious that streaming services are going to replace cable in the near future.

Also I find it hard to believe that people in Ohio (for example) will give a poo poo and start tuning in to Big 12 games just because Cincinnati is in unless they happened to be Cincinnati fans to begin with.

Also UT is fine letting in Houston now because they have no intention of staying in the Big 12 once the GOR expires, hasn't this always been obvious? Or is it only me?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Streaming services are getting bigger but lots of people are still gonna have TV and live events like sports are still extremely valuable content. Like the ACC and Big Ten just got gigantic deals this year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah even in the relative short term, those deals can be lucrative as poo poo. The B1G doesn't give a poo poo that nobody in DC or NYC is going to watch BTN, they just need to be available to all those televisions.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

I think Houston isn't going to get in unless we go to 14, which I hope we don't.

Cincy and Memphis or Cincy and one of the Florida schools seems to be choices least likely to piss off half the conference.

Which means:

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Rumors floating that BYU, with their new AD and coaching staff, are just about a lock to be invited to join. Not decided yet if it would be football-only or whole-package.

Rumors also floating (thanks to Bill Snyder and some flame fanning elsewhere) that Nebraska reached out last week to see about coming back. Also a result of having a different AD than last time alignment came around.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That Nebraska thing seems like really obvious bullshit and Big 8 fan fiction. They're in a way more lucrative and stable long term situation now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I'd be blown away if Nebraska came back now.

E: Gauging interest would be one thing and I could at least see them putting out feelers just to figure out what kind of deal they could get, but I really can't see them ultimately going back.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

That Nebraska thing seems like really obvious bullshit and Big 8 fan fiction. They're in a way more lucrative and stable long term situation now.

Again, this is all *rumors* but Nebraska basically provides the Big XII's long term stability. Stability is not the biggest issue.

The question I have is if they would come back with the LHN still in place and if Texas would consider transforming the LHN if it means Nebraska would rejoin the conference.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

If I was WVU, I'd be pretty pissed to see BYU and Nebraska in the conference since it would move the conference center even further away from them. I hate having isolated teams so I'd rather see the Big 12 grow east instead of west. Especially since the TV markets are better going east.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kayakyakr posted:

Again, this is all *rumors* but Nebraska basically provides the Big XII's long term stability. Stability is not the biggest issue.

Yeah worked really well last time

Bill Snyder saying what basically amounted to "I miss playing Nebraska" is not evidence that Nebraska actually has interest in going back.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 26, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

If I was WVU, I'd be pretty pissed to see BYU and Nebraska in the conference since it would move the conference center even further away from them. I hate having isolated teams so I'd rather see the Big 12 grow east instead of west. Especially since the TV markets are better going east.

I don't think BYU or Braska are coming.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

Yeah worked really well last time

Are you worried about losing the Corn Trophy game?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That's the Iowa State trophy, the Nebraska one is some generic garbage. I think that game will eventually be A Thing and be fun but it's not there yet so we wouldn't be losing too much. They're not some huge historic rival or something, at least right now. I was pretty adamantly against adding them when it happened. There just isn't any logical reason to think Nebraska would make that move and the only thing that really points to it happening is an old guy saying that he thinks it'd be cool.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 26, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

That's the Iowa State trophy, the Nebraska one is some generic garbage. I think that game will eventually be A Thing and be fun but it's not there yet so we wouldn't be losing too much. They're not some huge historic rival or something, at least right now. I was pretty adamantly against adding them when it happened. There just isn't any logical reason to think Nebraska would make that move and the only thing that really points to it happening is an old guy saying that he thinks it'd be cool.

Oh, I agree

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Yes we'd like to leave the financial prosperity and conference stability and financial prosperity and prestige levels and all the goddamn money we make with the Big Ten TV deal to return to the Longhorn Conference and travel to Manhattan, Kansas where do we sign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I could see a set of Nebraska people who miss the OU rivalry enough to sort of want to come back, but really that's just another thing Texas hosed up for them so....

• Locked thread