Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes, which is odd why they would bring Chris Hemsworth back for the 4th one

Because executives don't give a gently caress about character arcs. I guarantee you the decision process for that was "Boy, this Hemsworth kid is really popular! Let's get him back in a Star Track!" "Brilliant!" :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
My reaction to the Discovery ship CGI

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What the heck is that from?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Baronjutter posted:

What the heck is that from?

Brent Spiner's genuine reaction to the first time Gates McFadden said the line "A particularly erotic chapter in my grandmother's journal."

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Payndz posted:

The Royal Navy's Flower-class vessels gave the world the warships HMS Pansy, Daffodil, Buttercup and Geranium, amongst others. (Other RN vessels with odd names include HMS Spanker, HMS Cockchafer and HMS Black Joke. All of which should be starships, or at least Culture vessels.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower-class_corvette is a pro-click. I love how all the ones transferred to the US were given more manly names (HMS Mandrake became USS Haste, HMS Privet became USS Prudent, HMS Milfoil became USS Intensity, and so on.)

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

And why they would announce this fact just before the third one came out at all, as if trying to pre-empt or deflate the events of that film. "It's okay! Everything goes right back to normal after this one!"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
More like they were waiting to see if the reaction to Beyond was positive before announcing plans for a sequel

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tighclops posted:

More like they were waiting to see if the reaction to Beyond was positive before announcing plans for a sequel
They actually announced the sequel before the movie came out, which I was surprised to see

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No, it's just free marketing for the movie that's in theaters.

Domestic box office seems pretty glum for this movie. Where ID showed growth day over day throughout the weekend, Beyond has dropped each day. Hopefully they see good returns in the markets yet to open or they won't be able to afford Hemsworth for a 4th movie.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

bull3964 posted:

Domestic box office seems pretty glum for this movie. Where ID showed growth day over day throughout the weekend, Beyond has dropped each day. Hopefully they see good returns in the markets yet to open or they won't be able to afford Hemsworth for a 4th movie.

If the new series does well that may overcome somewhat weak box office numbers in their calculation.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Shame they didn't give it to Pegg from the start. Could have been great instead of just good.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

bull3964 posted:

Star Trek classically does very well in non-US markets, so there's no doubt in my mind that the movie will turn a profit.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Just saw Beyond and nearly died of bij when they said the captain of the Franklin was a former MACO and then literally an NX class busted into the movie and surfed away on a cloud of bees

I can't even

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
God that movie loving ruled.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Seriously thank you Star Trek Beyond for making me explain what a MACO is to another living being

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Mr. Jive posted:

Just saw Beyond and nearly died of bij when they said the captain of the Franklin was a former MACO and then literally an NX class busted into the movie and surfed away on a cloud of bees

I can't even

That was actually the best part. Unless it was good bij, then OK! :yeah:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I'm starting to think more people like the Enterprise references more than the Enterprise show

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mogomra posted:

Good bij for sure

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

The American namesake of Enterprise was a schooner with a few pop guns, not a 2 decker.

And most of the British Enterprizes were apparently no big deal, but there were a couple 44 gunners named Enterprise in the 18th century so the name was being used by warships before the US even existed.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FlamingLiberal posted:

Because it's the fourth movie so they have to do time travel. It's like symmetry.

Star Trek 2: KHAAAAAAAN
Star Trek 3: Enterprise destroyed
Star Trek 4: Time Travel

see? so simple

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Nitrousoxide posted:

If the new series does well that may overcome somewhat weak box office numbers in their calculation.

What's the bar for that? Subscriptions to CBS All Access/number of Netflix viewers in the rest of the world? Before, they could always look at ad revenue or number of stations paying syndication fees - how is "success" measured in the streaming-only world?

Related, is this the biggest IP to go digital-only?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I'm starting to think more people like the Enterprise references more than the Enterprise show
To be fair, geeks like continuity but Enterprise (mostly) sucked.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Enterprise was more...Not Good than bad really. Voyager, on the other hand...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Because it's the fourth movie so they have to do time travel. It's like symmetry.

Star Trek 2: KHAAAAAAAN
Star Trek 4: Time Travel

see? so simple

Star Trek 1: Enterprise destroyed
Star Trek 2: Enterprise destroyed
Star Trek 4: Enterprise destroyed????

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Tunicate posted:

Cause and Effect must have been such a fun episode for the effects people.

[makes explosion noises]

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tunicate posted:

I don't think Enterprise ever got wrecked in the first one :confused:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

It survived the first movie intact and the second with serious damage.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

After The War posted:

What's the bar for that? Subscriptions to CBS All Access/number of Netflix viewers in the rest of the world? Before, they could always look at ad revenue or number of stations paying syndication fees - how is "success" measured in the streaming-only world?

Related, is this the biggest IP to go digital-only?

Well seeing as they will only be airing the series on their online platform they will have an exact number of unique and repeat views.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Who's 'they' ?

Two separate entities here. CBS has no reason to disclose their viewership numbers to Paramount and Paramount has no reason to care about a property that's in a different continuity delivered in a way that they can't translate into ticket sales.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

They are not competing properties. Like a hotdog and a bun, when one does good it makes the other more valuable.

Plus both paramount and CBS are publicly traded companies so the revenue/viewer numbers will be public.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Mogomra posted:

Actually the Who Mourns for Adonis reference was the best one.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It was totalled when they blew themselves up to escape a black hole. Technically in one piece but...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CBS will release revenue numbers for their service, but they don't have to release viewer numbers anymore than Netflix does.

Also, as with any subscription service, viewer numbers aren't what counts. Subs count. Discovery could be viewed by every single All Access subscriber, but if it didn't generate new subs, it will be considered a failure and probably not renewed.

While Paramount would be more interested in how many eyeballs saw the show, CBS is more interested in how many new (and sustained) subs they get from the show.

They are going to be interested in different metrics and that could put them at odds. If CBS cancels the show due to low conversion rate of streamers even if it was highly viewed by those who had the service, that could actually devalue the franchise.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's perfectly conceivable that he can appear in the next film without it being about Kirk's daddy issues.

E: he's gonna be a clone of George Kirk (which explains why he will be younger than he looks), a sleeper agent sent to assasinate J Kirk.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 27, 2016

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese
Hello, new to Star Trek and I'm watching the Next Generation from S1 onwards.

I'm aware of the Ferengi's lore to some degree, having watched a stray episode on the BBC. But I don't remember them being as uh... cartoony as in S1E4 where they were first introduced. When did their presentation change from the wriggling loony toons to just normal space yankee traders?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Subyng posted:

E: he's gonna be a clone of George Kirk (which explains why he will be younger than he looks), a sleeper agent sent to assasinate J Kirk.

But then he's redeemed by the power of humanity.

Nakedly.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tunicate posted:

It was totalled when they blew themselves up to escape a black hole. Technically in one piece but...

Oh, right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7jsEckaQ4c&t=131s

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nazareth posted:

I'm aware of the Ferengi's lore to some degree, having watched a stray episode on the BBC. But I don't remember them being as uh... cartoony as in S1E4 where they were first introduced. When did their presentation change from the wriggling loony toons to just normal space yankee traders?

Ferengi are pretty much always kind of goofy save for a couple episodes of DS9, but they're especially so in the first season of TNG.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nazareth posted:

It's gradual over time, and a lot of the complex development happens in DS9, not TNG. That said by the end of TNG you'll be seeing the Federation having quite a different relationship with our favorite little space goblins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Ferengi were meant to be the original main opponent race of TNG, replacing the Cold War Russian Klingons and Chinese Romulas respectively with the evils of capitalism. Which, don't get me wrong, capitalism sucks, but man the Ferengi were a poor execution. So by the time DS9 rolls around they introduce a Ferengi main character with a lot of hidden depths as the show goes on, but starting with season one of DS9 the Ferengi, as a whole, are pretty much just comic relief, going from Captain Planet villains to a species of Mr. Krabs.