Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Dr. Stab posted:

Seems like it's just a wording change, and is nonfunctional. What sort of change do you think it's implying?

It's also bringing us closer to a world where it makes sense to assemble an contraption.

"Create" could imply a token "materializing" directly on the battlefield where "Put" more clearly implies a token is "entering".

It wouldn't be a good change IMO but that doesn't put it out of the realm of possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
"when playing humans, play cards that are good with humans."

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I'm playing a sick combo deck bro!

*drops Always Watching with some non-token creatures out

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

mandatory lesbian posted:

"when playing humans, play cards that are good with humans."

AceClown posted:

I'm playing a sick combo deck bro!

*drops Always Watching with some non-token creatures out

Please don't be disrespectful of the synergies, you may not care about them but others do.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

En Fuego posted:

This is the steampunk plane I need in my life!!

I said it before but I love it and would buy playsets!

Wizards is owned by Hasbro so make it a little flavorful with another one of Hasbro's popular lines, Transformers. Besides we already have Planeswalkers that transform into poo poo

(Insert name, Overwatch of Kaladesh)
Artifact Planeswalker - (Name)

+1, Put a 1/1 Thopter artifact creature with flying into play

-2, (Name) turns into a 5/5 Thopter artifact creature with flying until end of turn

-7 Thopters you control have: "Sacrifice this creature, it deals 1 damage to target creature or player"

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

ThePeavstenator posted:

"Create" could imply a token "materializing" directly on the battlefield where "Put" more clearly implies a token is "entering".

It wouldn't be a good change IMO but that doesn't put it out of the realm of possibility.

I really don't think that's what's happening. It's just a shorter, more parseable version of what was there before. They aren't making a less understandable version of phasing that also makes a whole bunch of cards not work anymore.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can't wait for Kaladesh to re-break Affinity.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The change might obfuscate effects that trigger off things "entering the battlefield".

Good change for established players (quicker to parse as Stab said), probably mildly confusing for newer ones in some situations.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I can't wait for Kaladesh to re-break Affinity.

The Thopters have left huge footprints on Modern, but we aren't issuing any "emergency" bans. We'll assess everything on the normal timeline.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Rinkles posted:

The change might obfuscate effects that trigger off things "entering the battlefield".

Good change for established players (quicker to parse as Stab said), probably mildly confusing for newer ones in some situations.

I really don't think so. The token goes from not being on the battlefield to being on the battlefield. It's not any more confusing than creature spells not saying that they enter the battlefield.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Create is fine, I doubt very much it has any functional change but it sure saves a lot of space in the text box.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

ThePeavstenator posted:

Is it just me or does "Create" sound like it's going to be accompanied with an ETB rules change for tokens?

I thought so until I realized the original EDM card is "put into the battlefield". Nontoken conditions are pretty common so I don't think that distinction would be needed. Just saves a little space and is no less intuitive.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Are you all ready for a spicy Modern meatball?

4x Cinder Glade
4x Countryside Crusher
3x Edge of Autumn
1x Flame Jab
2x Forest
4x Life from the Loam
2x Lightning Axe
3x Lightning Bolt
4x Magmatic Insight
3x Molten Vortex
8x Mountain
4x Satyr Wayfinder
2x Seismic Assault
4x Splendid Reclamation
4x Stomping Ground
4x Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
4x Wooded Foothills

Sideboard
3x Ancient Grudge
3x Anger of the Gods
3x Kitchen Finks
2x Natural State
1x Nature's Claim
3x Tireless Tracker

Friend of mine has been having a lot of success with this (but he says he's tuned his SB a bit). He's streaming this Thursday at 7 EST at twitch.tv/earaff

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://twitter.com/mtg_lee/status/757986402147504129

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 26, 2016

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

And you didn't even mention the best bit:

https://twitter.com/mtg_lee/status/757989301015543808

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

:allears:

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Elyv posted:

in case you can't figure out that you're supposed to play hamlet captain with humans

I like how both the text and the graphic imply that you don't have to attack with Hamlet Captain to get the bonus. So not only is it pointless, it's also misleading.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

4x Cinder Glade
4x Countryside Crusher
3x Edge of Autumn
1x Flame Jab
2x Forest
4x Life from the Loam
2x Lightning Axe
3x Lightning Bolt
4x Magmatic Insight
3x Molten Vortex
8x Mountain
4x Satyr Wayfinder
2x Seismic Assault
4x Splendid Reclamation
4x Stomping Ground
4x Wooded Foothills

Sideboard
3x Ancient Grudge
3x Anger of the Gods
3x Kitchen Finks
2x Natural State
1x Nature's Claim
3x Tireless Tracker

Friend of mine has been having a lot of success with this (but he says he's tuned his SB a bit). He's streaming this Thursday at 7 EST at twitch.tv/earaff

This looked really dumb until I saw Splendid Reclamation and realized I didn't know what that card did.

That seems hilarious with Crusher.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

I don't get what is so hilarious about this line of questioning?

A voluntary split system is orders of magnitude more difficult than changing the payouts to 6-6.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

4x Cinder Glade
4x Countryside Crusher
3x Edge of Autumn
1x Flame Jab
2x Forest
4x Life from the Loam
2x Lightning Axe
3x Lightning Bolt
4x Magmatic Insight
3x Molten Vortex
8x Mountain
4x Satyr Wayfinder
2x Seismic Assault
4x Splendid Reclamation
4x Stomping Ground
4x Wooded Foothills

Sideboard
3x Ancient Grudge
3x Anger of the Gods
3x Kitchen Finks
2x Natural State
1x Nature's Claim
3x Tireless Tracker

What are the bad matchups for this, so far? The sideboard suggests Affinity by far, did it turn out that way?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

A voluntary split system is orders of magnitude more difficult than changing the payouts to 6-6.

It sounds like a single order of magnitude more difficult, a text prompt two buttons, one for yes and one for no, change the value of a couple variables if both players click yes. A software project would have to be broken beyond belief for such a thing to be unfeasible.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Elyv posted:

in case you can't figure out that you're supposed to play hamlet captain with humans

poo poo is that what Hamlet Captain is supposed to do? I've been splashing it in my UB Zombies deck and wondering why its effect never did anything. :mysterysolved:

Sigma-X posted:

Right Click, 'Opt to split' button, if both players toggle that option the round ends and both players split packs. Window pops up awarding packs to both players. If there are an odd number of QPs are awarded to the finalists, the match continues until there is a winner or someone concedes. If there are an even number of QPs awarded, they get split and the match is over.

At any time someone can right click and toggle the option off if it was enabled and the opponent hasn't accepted the split.

They could put the button on the tournament results screen but that poo poo is way the hell out of the way. This does not seem outlandishly difficult to program.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
it's really easy to reduce other people's software to "it should be this simple" but since you don't want to present the option to split in-game, but prior to the match beginning, you have a new branch on the path, and you've got various customer security / customer service issues that you're now building in when something doesn't go right / people pull the plug, etc, you need to handle timeouts and displaying the timer for timeouts, etc etc.

It's not an insurmountable amount of work but it does change the whole match flow they use everywhere else in the client for like three dozen different formats and payouts and its not like they can add that just to the 8/4s without having to build a whole new policy and system to handle larger tournaments too.

MTGO gets a lot of poo poo for being buggy (and frequently rightfully so) but the notion that everything about it is simple and can be solved by some armchair programmer is ridiculous.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Why do you need to split before play begins? It's two minutes, who cares. People usually split at the start of a match, or before the start of game three. You could have a popup that suggests a split (which is dumb and bad, let the players keep all their time if they want it) or just have a toggle that players can enable/disable and if both players enable it, bam split happens. Also this poo poo is digital, if there is only one QP awarded give each player a half QP.

This would only be for 8-4s and maybe 6-2-2-2. Splitting in a League doesn't make sense, splitting in a big tournament usually is impossible due to unsplitable prizes, 4-3-2-2s are the devil, and Swiss is played by people who just want to play Magic. The worst solution would be to swap 8-4s with a forced two round 6-6, which would make nobody happy and Lee merely suggesting it shows how out of touch he is.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Is it just me or does "Create" sound like it's going to be accompanied with an ETB rules change for tokens?

My guess is there are some seriously wordy cards coming in Kaladesh and they found room on cards by changing this vocabulary.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

So many thopters.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Please reprint Giharpur Aether Grid.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Sigma-X posted:

it's really easy to reduce other people's software to "it should be this simple" but since you don't want to present the option to split in-game, but prior to the match beginning, you have a new branch on the path, and you've got various customer security / customer service issues that you're now building in when something doesn't go right / people pull the plug, etc, you need to handle timeouts and displaying the timer for timeouts, etc etc.

It's not an insurmountable amount of work but it does change the whole match flow they use everywhere else in the client for like three dozen different formats and payouts and its not like they can add that just to the 8/4s without having to build a whole new policy and system to handle larger tournaments too.

MTGO gets a lot of poo poo for being buggy (and frequently rightfully so) but the notion that everything about it is simple and can be solved by some armchair programmer is ridiculous.

Hi Software Engineer here, actually it should be very easy for a multi-million dollar corporation to have a professional team of developers add an option and menu to a piece of software that they're selling without breaking the entire thing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

Hi Software Engineer here, actually it should be very easy for a multi-million dollar corporation to have a professional team of developers add an option and menu to a piece of software that they're selling without breaking the entire thing.

to be fair to wizards, MTGO wasn't made by a professional team

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

ThePeavstenator posted:

Seconded. And if it isn't, that's a great indicator that your software and/or team are hosed and you really need to nuke it and start from scratch. Redoing a huge software package later this year for this exact reason, it's 6 years old and is an untenable Frankenstein's monster of a legacy code base; it's less work to rewrite it than to keep trying to work around its flaws.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Mechanical Engineer: "This motor is really inefficient."

WotC: YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND IT WITHOUT SEEING IT

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Structural Engineer: "This bridge is structurally unsafe and should be closed until replaced or reinforced."

WotC: "Excuse me but did you build this? I didn't think so."

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Voyager I posted:

Please reprint Giharpur Aether Grid.

Thopter Spy Network as well

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

It's about on par with "fight" in terms of shorter rules text vs. possible misunderstandings. It'll be fine.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

ThePeavstenator posted:

Hi, Software Engineer Manager here, actually it's loving impossibly rare to find a piece of software that's been continuously updated for two decades that doesn't have a billion gotcha's and legacy code hacks that would require major refactors to add moderate functionality.

Like, in a perfect environment, sure, that should be easy. Any one particular task should be easy in a perfect environment.

Let's not pretend MTGO is or ever even can be a perfect environment. They've got a ridiculous release cadence wherein basically every assumption about how the game works can, at any point, be completely broken on a whim, and they've got to keep it secure and cheat proof or else the value in the system vanishes overnight. They've got a billion legacy assumptions and management systems built in that they can't touch without risking breaking serious systems elsewhere.

Adding official support for something players have long since solved on their own is so far down the list of "poo poo we should implement" it won't ever see the light of day because it is order of magnitude more complex than the payoff, when the payoff is more customer service reports and increased customer demands for splits across other venues.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

4x Cinder Glade
4x Countryside Crusher
3x Edge of Autumn
1x Flame Jab
2x Forest
4x Life from the Loam
2x Lightning Axe
3x Lightning Bolt
4x Magmatic Insight
3x Molten Vortex
8x Mountain
4x Satyr Wayfinder
2x Seismic Assault
4x Splendid Reclamation
4x Stomping Ground
4x Wooded Foothills

Sideboard
3x Ancient Grudge
3x Anger of the Gods
3x Kitchen Finks
2x Natural State
1x Nature's Claim
3x Tireless Tracker

I want to go to there. Looks dumb fun.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

ThePeavstenator posted:

Structural Engineer: "This bridge is structurally unsafe and should be closed until replaced or reinforced."

Average person walking over the bridge: Wow! This seems really unsafe!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Thinking about brewing up UW/Esper Spirits in Modern. I'm wondering how Eidolon of Rhetoric would work as part of the deck. The basic idea is a bunch of the new pushed Spirits + Drogskol Captain and other in-color staples like Path and Lingering Souls for an overall tempo plan, but I figure if I ever get ahead on board then I can just sit slam an Eidolon and sit behind Spell Queller / Remand while I close out the game, and I should have enough instants and Flash dudes that being limited to one spell per turn will hurt most opponents more than it hurts me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Snacksmaniac posted:

Average person walking over the bridge: Wow! This seems really unsafe!

WotC: "Would you prefer if we enforced a traffic limit on the bridge so that 90% of people's commute takes an extra hour?"

Average person: "Why don't you just fix the bridge?"

WotC: "It's way too expensive and complicated you don't understand!"

• Locked thread