Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So I bought a bronze/mahogany bed from my mog garden and sent them to my mules.

Getting mog safe 2, max mog safe on both of em, and eventually finishing the gobbie bag= :lol: at wardrobe 3&4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Wrr posted:

Man, these limit break quests sure do loving suck.

I never really realized how much of this game was based around stealth and sneaking around.

Level Dancer. Spectral Jig is amazing for running around zones for quests or hunting for AF coffers and such.

Speaking of which I'm leveling BRD/DNC and it's the most fun I've had in this game in years. I actually have stuff to do to keep me busy while my trusts kill everything for me.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, DNC is that one job every non-mage should take to 49. It's so handy.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Sprite141 posted:

Man, this month's log in rewards suck.

So hey, I'm gonna start leveling crafting so I can get my gobbie bag upgraded to small extent. Is there any advice on this that would lessen the crafting load? Like do the rhapsodies' exp boost and skill ups affect crafting?
Get the quested hat from SoA, beat SoA and choose crafting ring and eat kitron macaroons. There's also shapers shawl, but gently caress trying to get that cape.

My last piece of advice would be to farm some dynamis or salvo for awhile to get a decent amount of funds. It's a lot smarter to powerlevel your poo poo fast and start printing money asap over trying to be a tightwad.

The crafting level up changes and guild supply items make crafting ridiculously easy now. I poopsocked frod to 110 bone and myself to 110 Alchemy in a weekend during last double skillup rate event.

Sure the double skillrate helped, but it also made any supplies down to crystals hard to get, thst weren't available at guilds. Actually had to bot farm clusters haha.

10 million gil should be plenty for any guild 1-110 outside of maybe goldsmithing. The only real grind left is 200k GP for all your support items and coffer farming.

Here are the guilds I can tell goons about :
Goldsmithing: You won't lose hundreds of millions like you once did, but you'll need a good amount to get it capped out. If you want to be safe, 20-30 mil to get all the supplies you need.

You will make it all back fairly easy when you're all set up. GS will need alchemy+smithing subs and ideally a smithing mule for real nice profit. To max profits, you will need to max Synergy which is a terrible dumb grind. gently caress synergy.

Smithing: Fairly cheap to level, but not much to profit off anymore. 119 abj gear will get a decent return, but not much else.

Bonecraft: Cost me around 10 million to powerlevel the poo poo out of this for Frod. If he wasn't a bad, dumb poor he would be insanely rich off it by now. I got close to Veteran bonecraft just off of stuff I bought from the guild.

Woodworking: It's somewhat of a pain to level and honestly outside of some 119 pieces of gear for pups, not any demand for ww items. Pass on this craft.

Leather: A really easy craft to level right now, and fairly cheap to do. There are some fairly decent synths to make money off of too.

Clothcraft: You can break even if you take your time and work with synths that you can sell the results on the AH. Apogee gear is a good seller and some of the other poo poo is okay I guess. Probably worth it although I never really liked this craft for some reason.

Alchemy: Really, really cheap to level. I actually made gil from 1 to 108. You have a large gap of making holy waters than buying gear with sparks and synthing holy water to it and vensoring the result. Money is very nice, but you will need several hundred k in sparks.

Last two levels will either be costly getting mats off AH, or you will make a lot of gil selling dyna currency from farming Dynamis to get skillup mats.

I wouldn't suggest Alchemy for big money profits. Too many people leveled it during the double skillup events and the market is flooded between those dudes, and other dudes with mog shields and 110 alchemy flooding the gently caress out of the market.

With another set of shields hitting the game recently, expect the Goldsmithing and Bone markets to get really tight. I'd say leather or cloth are good markets to hit.

I never did cooking, but it's really easy to level but not great to get GP for or for profits. Only do this if you love pet jobs.

And finally, seriously, gently caress synergy.

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 17, 2016

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

LiquidFriend posted:

Get the quested hat from SoA, beat SoA and choose crafting ring and eat kitron macaroons. There's also shapers shawl, but gently caress trying to get that cape.

My last piece of advice would be to farm some dynamis or salvo for awhile to get a decent amount of funds. It's a lot smarter to powerlevel your poo poo fast and start printing money asap over trying to be a tightwad.

The crafting level up changes and guild supply items make crafting ridiculously easy now. I poopsocked frod to 110 bone and myself to 110 Alchemy in a weekend during last double skillup rate event.

Sure the double skillrate helped, but it also made any supplies down to crystals hard to get, thst weren't available at guilds. Actually had to bot farm clusters haha.

10 million gil should be plenty for any guild 1-110 outside of maybe goldsmithing. The only real grind left is 200k GP for all your support items and coffer farming.

Here are the guilds I can tell goons about :
Goldsmithing: You won't lose hundreds of millions like you once did, but you'll need a good amount to get it capped out. If you want to be safe, 20-30 mil to get all the supplies you need.

You will make it all back fairly easy when you're all set up. GS will need alchemy+smithing subs and ideally a smithing mule for real nice profit. To max profits, you will need to max Synergy which is a terrible dumb grind. gently caress synergy.

Smithing: Fairly cheap to level, but not much to profit off anymore. 119 abj gear will get a decent return, but not much else.

Bonecraft: Cost me around 10 million to powerlevel the poo poo out of this for Frod. If he wasn't a bad, dumb poor he would be insanely rich off it by now. I got close to Veteran bonecraft just off of stuff I bought from the guild.

Woodworking: It's somewhat of a pain to level and honestly outside of some 119 pieces of gear for pups, not any demand for ww items. Pass on this craft.

Leather: A really easy craft to level right now, and fairly cheap to do. There are some fairly decent synths to make money off of too.

Clothcraft: You can break even if you take your time and work with synths that you can sell the results on the AH. Apogee gear is a good seller and some of the other poo poo is okay I guess. Probably worth it although I never really liked this craft for some reason.

Alchemy: Really, really cheap to level. I actually made gil from 1 to 108. You have a large gap of making holy waters than buying gear with sparks and synthing holy water to it and vensoring the result. Money is very nice, but you will need several hundred k in sparks.

Last two levels will either be costly getting mats off AH, or you will make a lot of gil selling dyna currency from farming Dynamis to get skillup mats.

I wouldn't suggest Alchemy for big money profits. Too many people leveled it during the double skillup events and the market is flooded between those dudes, and other dudes with mog shields and 110 alchemy flooding the gently caress out of the market.

With another set of shields hitting the game recently, expect the Goldsmithing and Bone markets to get really tight. I'd say leather or cloth are good markets to hit.

I never did cooking, but it's really easy to level but not great to get GP for or for profits. Only do this if you love pet jobs.

And finally, seriously, gently caress synergy.

Thanks for the tips and strategy on how to earn some gil.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I never knew what it was that Goldsmiths did that was supposed to make them so much gil.

I took Fishing to 90's back in the day, and I got my Ebisu rod, but I feel like there's nothing worthwhile to do with it. I can make more money farming dynamis.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Zero The Hero posted:

I never knew what it was that Goldsmiths did that was supposed to make them so much gil.

I took Fishing to 90's back in the day, and I got my Ebisu rod, but I feel like there's nothing worthwhile to do with it. I can make more money farming dynamis.

Hate yourself, go after Ebisu +1.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Windower question:

I have things like the minimap (FFXIDB) and exp watch bar activated, and I'm only able to click on these things to move them around on the screen some of the time. Most of the time I click on them and they don't move, but other times I can move them easily. Is this something to do with hardware/software mouse enabled or something? Drives me nuts.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

frodnonnag posted:

Hate yourself, go after Ebisu +1.

Then I can catch worthless fish even more easily

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Zero The Hero posted:

You can buy a astack of 99 "avatar"-ites and with enough skill and some luck, you can make the top tier HQs at a rate of about 5%. Which means (for the real moneymakers) an initial cost of 1-3mil for 99 stones, and 2-3 mil for every tear you make, you could pretty easily make a 5-10 mil profit per stack. For short term 100% profit you can buy 99 stacks of the cheaper ones like Fenrites (~100k) and just sell everything you make to a vendor for about 2x the cost of the stack (~200k). This is great for some quick cash but supplies are limited since nobody really goes after the scrub tier avatar rocks.

Without even touching abdjuration gear and just selling these rocks I was able to make about 50 mil in a week. That's not super impressive for the real craft barons though, the insane money comes from taking those tears and turning them into HQ rings, where you could make upwards of 20-30m on 1 synth, but it's risky and the tears themselves are a consistent enough moneymaker for the lazy crafter. Plus it involves synergy, and gently caress synergy.

Male of the Century fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 18, 2016

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Male of the Century posted:

You can buy a astack of 99 "avatar"-ites and with enough skill and some luck, you can make the top tier HQs at a rate of about 5%. Which means (for the real moneymakers) an initial cost of 1-3mil for 99 stones, and 2-3 mil for every tear you make, you could pretty easily make a 5-10 mil profit per stack. For short term 100% profit you can buy 99 stacks of the cheaper ones like Fenrites (~100k) and just sell everything you make to a vendor for about 2x the cost of the stack (~200k). This is great for some quick cash but supplies are limited since nobody really goes after the scrub tier avatar rocks.

Without even touching abdjuration gear and just selling these rocks I was able to make about 50 mil in a week. That's not super impressive for the real craft barons though, the insane money comes from taking those tears and turning them into HQ rings, where you could make upwards of 20-30m on 1 synth, but it's risky and the tears themselves are a consistent enough moneymaker for the lazy crafter. Plus it involves synergy, and gently caress synergy.

I have probably 6 or 7 hundred -ites in my inv. Plenty of geodes, too. I wish I'd sold them back during the Abyssea days.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

FFXI Devs holding a Reddit AMA in a week

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Gruknor posted:

Thanks for the tips and strategy on how to earn some gil.
You're welcome good sir

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

LiquidFriend posted:

You're welcome good sir

I was actually going to level alchemy on my mule, but I am going to do Leatherworking or Cooking. Thank goodness I am lazy and did not get to 110 before the whole curio moogle thing with Rhapsodies of Vanadiel came out. Thanks again for helping to steer me in the right direction.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Where do you get that Sheep mount?

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Gruknor posted:

I was actually going to level alchemy on my mule, but I am going to do Leatherworking or Cooking. Thank goodness I am lazy and did not get to 110 before the whole curio moogle thing with Rhapsodies of Vanadiel came out. Thanks again for helping to steer me in the right direction.
I am glad to save a good tarus precious gil.

Leather is a pretty easy craft to do and not a lot of people do it anymore.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Celador posted:

Where do you get that Sheep mount?

The sheep/ram mount is not out yet, to my knowledge. It may be in the dats, but not accessible to us player folk.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Gruknor posted:

The sheep/ram mount is not out yet, to my knowledge. It may be in the dats, but not accessible to us player folk.

Monster rearing afaik.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I did a little more research and it looks like it's a quest reward from mog gardens. I haven't touched mog gardens so I have no idea.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

frodnonnag posted:

Monster rearing afaik.

Damnit, now I need to do that poo poo too.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Whoo. Next months campaign bonuses are up.

Voidwatch campaign is a moneymaker, especially if you can multibox.

se posted:

Campaign Period: Thursday, August 11 at 1:00 a.m. (PDT) to Wednesday, August 31 at 7:59 a.m.

Double Unity Accolade Campaign
Unity Wanted Campaign
Assault - Nyzul Isle Uncharted Area Survey Mysterious Item Campaign
Voidwatch Campaign
Campaign Festa
Bonus Bayld Campaign

-----------------------------------------------

Campaign Period: Friday, August 12 at 1:00 a.m. (PDT) to Monday, August 22 at the same hour.

Chain Experience Bonus Campaign - PLUS!
Chain Capacity Point Bonus Campaign - PLUS!
Chain Monstrosity Bonus Campaign - PLUS!
Alter Ego Expo Campaign HQ
Wildskeeper Reive Campaign

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Does that have free maxed lights like the last VW campaign?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Zero The Hero posted:

Does that have free maxed lights like the last VW campaign?

Yes. Thats the whole point of the voidwatch campaign.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
So since the OP is around 3 years old, I'm guessing there is some new information on starting out in this game again. I have barely played it since I resubbed but I really want to. How should I be starting out anymore? The starting cities are ghost towns, and I am doing what I used to do so many years ago and just wandered around the starting area killing poo poo. Is there something new I should be doing to start?

Also, is there a better starting town compared to each other? I started in Bastok because I never did that town, I used to always start in San d'Oria and rarely Windy.

So simply, WTF should I be doing to start anymore?

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

So since the OP is around 3 years old, I'm guessing there is some new information on starting out in this game again. I have barely played it since I resubbed but I really want to. How should I be starting out anymore? The starting cities are ghost towns, and I am doing what I used to do so many years ago and just wandered around the starting area killing poo poo. Is there something new I should be doing to start?

Also, is there a better starting town compared to each other? I started in Bastok because I never did that town, I used to always start in San d'Oria and rarely Windy.

So simply, WTF should I be doing to start anymore?

If you are not on the Asura server. I suggest you delete your character and remake on Asura. It has the highest population and it has the goonshell. Other than that, why did you pick up ffxi? To play a cetain job? To corner the wild onion market? Maybe it is for the story and cutscenes? Did Frodnon tell you he would let you look at his planet sized bottom? It is all of these and more. Go to by-wiki or Google and look for returning player ghides. They are plentiful. If you have more questions just ask. No starting city is any better than the others. Except for Sandoria's bagpipe music is painful when you have a head ache.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
i should add this a dozen times to the OP
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Returning_to_Vana%27diel

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Bastok is the best starting city and always has been. :colbert:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

DizzyBum posted:

Bastok is the best starting city and always has been. :colbert:

Agreed. Windurst would be alrighty tighty if it weren't for the cuddly wuddly tarutaru speechy impedimen-taru. Like a bunch of baby flanders.

Sandoria's layout and the city's looks in general kinda sucks. Although the synth bagpipes are not only hilarious, but have grown on me.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Gruknor posted:

If you are not on the Asura server. I suggest you delete your character and remake on Asura. It has the highest population and it has the goonshell. Other than that, why did you pick up ffxi? To play a cetain job? To corner the wild onion market? Maybe it is for the story and cutscenes? Did Frodnon tell you he would let you look at his planet sized bottom? It is all of these and more. Go to by-wiki or Google and look for returning player ghides. They are plentiful. If you have more questions just ask. No starting city is any better than the others. Except for Sandoria's bagpipe music is painful when you have a head ache.

I actually am on Asura, so I have that going for me. I returned out of pure nostalgia. I'll check out the returning player guides, thanks!

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe
Aiton checking in

I have to say, that playing at launch with tons of people, then playing it a couple years later with no people and getting frustrated at the party requirements, the changes since I last tried the game out are actually fun (god help me). Although I did quit the game before level 40 both times so it will be like a new game to me.

Thanks for the add to the LS

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've been wondering if some of the lower end Unity NMs were doable with trusts. I think it's a slime and a coeurl NM that I'm after, ilvl122 fights both. Are trusts reliable enough to get the job done in those instances?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I've been wondering if some of the lower end Unity NMs were doable with trusts. I think it's a slime and a coeurl NM that I'm after, ilvl122 fights both. Are trusts reliable enough to get the job done in those instances?

depends more on you. Or you could catch me at a good moment to murder them for you.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

frodnonnag posted:

depends more on you. Or you could catch me at a good moment to murder them for you.

I'll keep that in mind.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
If I had an alienware alpha, would I be able to play this game?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Twat McTwatterson posted:

If I had an alienware alpha, would I be able to play this game?

If it runs windows, yes. I don't know if the steam controller works with it, but i think it does.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Pretty much any Windows PC released in the last 5 years will run FFXI without a hitch. Sadly it's a poorly coded game so it will still choke when a lot of characters are on-screen.

Also I finally started on Adoulin content. Kinda sad there's no initial boat ride out to the continent, but oh well. It seems like the missions are structured around a couple initial cutscenes with Arciela and then they make you dive into the content before you can advance the story.

Anyway, my plan is to get all my gear and merits in order before I start working on the Mythic. Figure the faster I can clear old content, the better.

Moo Moo Canoe
Mar 11, 2007

Drunk postin' ftw

frodnonnag posted:

If it runs windows, yes. I don't know if the steam controller works with it, but i think it does.

I'm using one, but you can't configure it via the FFXI config utility until you get the initial update which provides the 'xinput' checkbox.

edit: "one" being a steam controller, not a steam machine thing.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Moo Moo Canoe posted:

I'm using one, but you can't configure it via the FFXI config utility until you get the initial update which provides the 'xinput' checkbox.

edit: "one" being a steam controller, not a steam machine thing.

I've been trying to get FFXI working with Moonlight on a Raspberry Pi and I forgot about xinput. I'll have to play around with this at some point.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

Pretty much any Windows PC released in the last 5 years will run FFXI without a hitch. Sadly it's a poorly coded game so it will still choke when a lot of characters are on-screen.

Also I finally started on Adoulin content. Kinda sad there's no initial boat ride out to the continent, but oh well. It seems like the missions are structured around a couple initial cutscenes with Arciela and then they make you dive into the content before you can advance the story.

Anyway, my plan is to get all my gear and merits in order before I start working on the Mythic. Figure the faster I can clear old content, the better.

The choke point for most people is most likely shadows and often weather effects. Newer poo poo often has issues running this. Too add, I don't thing modern resolutions and systems can render avatar glow, it just tends to make things blocky.

Mythic is a very long slog. Keep it for when you have alot of spare time and a drat good gil source. Expect a budget of 400m plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, I wish my graphics card didn't make the game look bad at times. It's an issue of the game being old as hell, I know, but it's still sad.