Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

END ME SCOOB posted:

I think you have things mixed up. Dark Dawn was the worst GS game, whereas Dark Sun also contains psionics, altered stars, magic, and doesn't loving suck.

Ah right, my brain misremembered and assumed they would have subtitled as Golden Sun: DS since it's on the DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's also more accurately "Dark Sun" in Japanese.

Did you know the first Golden Sun is actually "Golden Sun: The Broken Seal"?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

bloodychill posted:

I've heard the same about Evergrace
DID SOMEBODY SAY EVERGRACE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRsGaJ39dfs

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

al-azad posted:

Golden Sun is an example of the need to show, not tell. I do remember liking the puzzles and integration of your character abilities into the game world. Not enough RPGs merge their battle mechanics with gameplay mechanics and it's always cool when they do.

Golden Sun 3's biggest problem was that it was way too dialog heavy. Normally this wouldn't be an issue but it was really dry, and flat. Everyone talked for ages without really saying anything at all. Every plot point was just beaten into the ground with the same information spoken over, and over and over again.

I wanted to like it because I am very fond of GS1&2 (puzzle rpgs are good) but I think the series is just dead now.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands and Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager. You can snag them both from GoG for :10bux:

Dang, you can?? I'd been waiting years for them to show up on GoG! Thank you for this news.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Wendell posted:

Dang, you can?? I'd been waiting years for them to show up on GoG! Thank you for this news.

Yeah, within the last year or so a huge chunk of the SSI/TSR duets appeared.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Endorph posted:

i only played dark sun once and it was a campaign where the entire party just existed to give buffs to our thri-kreen ranger who attacked the final boss twenty times in one round and insta-gibbed him due to all the +damage mods we stacked onto him

can i recreate that in the dark sun games

yeah

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Endorph posted:

i only played dark sun once and it was a campaign where the entire party just existed to give buffs to our thri-kreen ranger who attacked the final boss twenty times in one round and insta-gibbed him due to all the +damage mods we stacked onto him

can i recreate that in the dark sun games

oh, I missed this

Yes you can. I'm not kidding when I say the opening of DS1 is a powergaming test.

You're in a bloodsport arena and you just have to survive against the weakass intro enemies, but if you feel cocky or want to tweak the nose of the announcer, you can go on to do... two? three? more increasing difficulty waves with nothing but your level 0 party and whatever you find on the corpses of the last wave you killed. If you min-maxed hard enough you can crush every single one out the gate and get a drat fine bonus.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

unfortunately ds1 also starts you off with a sewer dungeon and that's not fun

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I want a modern Dark Sun game. Hell, I want a good modern D&D game but that probably won't be happening anytime soon.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I forget this game's name every time and have to search my youtube history for "buying goods" because that's all I can remember but it cracks me up every time I hear what sounds like three separate town themes all mashed together so it's worth it. That's my story.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o47N-aYd08

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

So I'm curious, did Black Sigil ever get any sort of mods or hacks or anything?

Because there was some interesting stuff there hampered by a metric fuckton of bad design decisions that I feel like somebody could hack out but I have the feeling that nobody cared enough about it to bother.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I forget this game's name every time and have to search my youtube history for "buying goods" because that's all I can remember but it cracks me up every time I hear what sounds like three separate town themes all mashed together so it's worth it. That's my story.
I know, it's amazing. :allears: I'm gonna listen to it again right now.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

no, sorry, this is the best one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrpglqYeQBc

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I know Metacritic is the dumbest thing on the planet but looking at the game's scores is baffling.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/ds/sonic-chronicles-the-dark-brotherhood/critic-reviews

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is this an accurate depiction of how the music was in-game?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Zereth posted:

Is this an accurate depiction of how the music was in-game?

Basically yeah. Though that one in particular is the most soul crushing probably.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

I know Metacritic is the dumbest thing on the planet but looking at the game's scores is baffling.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/ds/sonic-chronicles-the-dark-brotherhood/critic-reviews

The game mostly sits around 60 with a few outliers which seems about right to me. It's not the Worst Game Ever it's just hilariously lame fanfiction bullshit with bad music.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly the lame fanfiction isn't even that bad, there's some funny lines especially when eggman is involved. the bigger problems with it are the terrible puzzles and the fact that whenever the DS tries to render 3d it looks like a visage of hell. Sprite graphics would have been a way better choice.

Oh, and the bioware romance involving Amy. That was pretty terrible.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh, and rewriting omega to be literally hk-47 was bad too, especially since Omega is already one of the better sonic characters without calling everyone meatbag

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

honestly the lame fanfiction isn't even that bad, there's some funny lines especially when eggman is involved. the bigger problems with it are the terrible puzzles and the fact that whenever the DS tries to render 3d it looks like a visage of hell. Sprite graphics would have been a way better choice.

To be fair I sort of liked the concept of "Amy gets over Sonic and by getting over Sonic and getting to be her own character instead of Designated Girlfriend she actually becomes someone he likes" but, y'know, thar requires better writing than Bioware can pull off.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That is a powerful avatar Impatom.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sonic Chronicle's SFX owned
*gobbles*

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

That is a powerful avatar Impatom.

Heroes never die.

(I like it v. much.)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i almost forgot the part of wild arms 2 where lilka speaks a sad face

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Endorph posted:

The battles are also pretty tedious too after a while, since the fastest way to finish a battle was to use special attacks which always involved QTEs. Spamming normal attacks ended up taking longer cause you'd miss half the time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah people love ripping off mario rpgs but the thing is in the mario rpgs the qtes are all very short, single input things

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Motto posted:

Sonic Chronicle's SFX owned
*gobbles*
This is the part that drove me insane. The noises seriously reminded me of DOS games for 5 year olds.
That and the canned throwing up sound whenever your characters got hit.

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy
http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?vide...39dfs&start2=15

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
plus, the timed hits in paper mario have a ton of variety, with the super special attacks usually being their own straight-up minigames

they've also got the Stylish timings, where you can just work out the right moment after you've executed your attack to have a flashier finish and get a bigger audience, which helps keep the same attacks a bit more interesting to use since finding them is tricky and using the accessory that marks them removes the reward

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 26, 2016

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

buying goods broke my brain in that i now actually like the song.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Decided to finally buy Bravely Second. Few questions (since I think the actual Bravely Second thread is kinda buried):

1. I know a bit about how the optional asterisk quests work and how they were changed for the English version, but I just want to clarify. Is it possible to get every asterisk in one playthrough without having to cause bad/conflicted outcomes in sidequests now?

2. Is there anything truly missable this time around? I don't remember much being missable from Bravely Default--I know some of the blue magics are a pain to get after Chapter 4 if you don't get them then, but still possible--but I'm usually paranoid about that kind of thing.

3. I'm guessing I should play on Hard if I did so in Bravely Default and found that to be still pretty easy by the end?

Also Wizard seems like the coolest drat job ever and I'm excited to break the game with it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Decided to finally buy Bravely Second. Couple questions (since I think the actual Bravely Second thread is kinda buried):

1. I know a bit about how the optional asterisk quests work and how they were changed for the English version, but I just want to clarify. Is it possible to get every asterisk in one playthrough without having to cause bad/conflicted outcomes in sidequests now?

2. Is there anything truly missable this time around? I don't remember much being missable from Bravely Default--I know some of the blue magics are a pain to get after Chapter 4 if you don't get them then, but still possible--but I'm usually paranoid about that kind of thing.

1: Correct.
2: No, the game treats New Game + as a plot element and allows directly skipping to completed chapters, you can't permanently miss anything.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Harrow posted:

Decided to finally buy Bravely Second. Couple questions (since I think the actual Bravely Second thread is kinda buried):

Yes, nah.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

1: Correct.
2: No, the game treats New Game + as a plot element and allows directly skipping to completed chapters, you can't permanently miss anything.

Terper posted:

Yes, nah.

Neat, thanks.

I added another question to my other post, but: I'm guessing I should play on Hard if I did so in Bravely Default and found that to be a pretty decent balance (until the end when you can break everything in half)?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Play random encounters on Normal and bossfights on Hard.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm assuming I'll have to manually swap the difficulty before boss fights to do that and this game isn't truly so magical as to have separate random battle/boss difficulty settings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The game uses a system where you're rewarded with XP bonuses for killing enemy groups with less actions (so you can chain battles together), which is naturally harder to do on Hard so you end up getting less XP, which makes you underleveled for the next area, which makes it even harder to get chain battles and get XP and overall creates a chain reaction that's more annoying than challenging.