Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
did owen smith actually attend a strike or is that a lie too?

I mean attend it, not cross the picket.

e; today a Japanese man killed a shitload of disabled people in a facility because he was not allowed to involuntarily euthanize them. He is currently being held by the police, 19 are dead and 26 more seriously injured.

Sadly, he didn't realise he could simply join the conservative party and murder all the disabled people he likes.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Suddenly I see what people mean when they say we're living through post-factual politics.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Baron Corbyn posted:

Someone needs to organise a UKMT meetup so you guys can just hatefuck and get it over with.

I was gonna say that any of Bristol's popular pubs are a likely place to have an accidental/impromptu goonmeet, then that reminded me Fluo's dead :smith:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Guido-tweet-warning:

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/758006576548544514

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm not really sure what the end goal here is if everyone who challenges corbyn is going to be so poo poo that they just constantly drop out

are they waiting on Hillary benn who gets smashed because of his speech to bomb syria and voting for the iraq war?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Hahaha wtf what kind of egotist sticks a photo of themselves on their letterheads

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What keeps happening every two weeks to flip the polls?

Does the electorate run on some kind of really low frequency AC?

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

OwlFancier posted:

Does the electorate run on some kind of really low frequency AC?

just normal statistical noise/house effects, I think.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

OwlFancier posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_error

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'd give it a couple of hours before Seema claims abuse and harassment on social media.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah but why is it creating a rough sine wave over multiple polls?

Seriously are the electorate being controlled by the lunar phase or something? Does the PLP have a secret moonbase that gets more power to its mind control ray at certain times of the month?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Are they maybe combining multiple surveys by different companies with different biases?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No it's definitely blair + ghost of thatcher ruling the country from the moon. Most sensible explanation.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah but why is it creating a rough sine wave over multiple polls?

Seriously are the electorate being controlled by the lunar phase or something? Does the PLP have a secret moonbase that gets more power to its mind control ray at certain times of the month?

Not certain but it seems like the different companies are on a cycle of releases so if there's a bias it'll show up like that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Alternatively they get a different variety of respondents on the weekend compared to the weekdays.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://next.ft.com/content/e87614da-533a-11e6-befd-2fc0c26b3c60?ftcamp=published_links%2Frss%2Fbrussels%2Ffeed%2F%2Fproduct

quote:

Theresa May is under growing pressure from Liam Fox, the trade secretary, to pull out of the EU customs union, a move required to facilitate post-Brexit bilateral trade deals but which would impose costs on exporters and could strain Anglo-Irish relations.
The issue is looming as a battleground in discussions over whether the UK will pursue a “hard” or “soft” Brexit. It will have to be resolved before London triggers Article 50, the starting gun for withdrawal negotiations with the EU.
The prime minister is expected to decide before the end of the year whether Britain should leave the customs union as part of her negotiating strategy.
Dr Fox wants maximum freedom to negotiate new trade deals around the world and is determined that Britain should break out of the EU framework, which he believes has stifled such agreements. “We have nothing to fear from forging our own free-trade environment and breaking out on our own,” he said on Tuesday in Chicago during a trade tour of the US.
The customs union is an area that allows the free movement of goods with no tariffs, but imposes the same administrative and tariff barriers at its external borders. Under the customs union, the EU negotiates trade deals and sets the same external tariff for all members.
Quitting the customs union would not preclude the UK remaining in the European single market. But the UK’s hands would be tied in trade deals because Britain would need to keep the same external tariffs as the customs union, leaving no room to negotiate on tariffs and other administrative issues.
The Treasury’s April report on Brexit options said that leaving the customs union would require all exports to the EU to be declared to customs authorities on a form with more than 50 boxes, supported by 78 pages of guidance.
Exporters would have to specify whether components of goods were made within the European Economic Area, a particular problem for aerospace and automotive companies with long supply chains. “UK-based firms would likely incur both time delays and costs,” the Treasury said.
“This would reduce the competitiveness of UK-based firms and potentially jeopardise their role in the production process.”

they are children playing with fire who haven't yet learned that it burns

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think you're appreciating the potential for setting up firms to fill all that paperwork out. It's an ideal foundation for our economy! We can export ten spuds a year and the rest of the economy can be services for the ten spud export company.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
Remember when May was hailed as a political genius for putting all the swivel eyed brexiteers in charge of negotiations?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

dispatch_async posted:

Remember when May was hailed as a political genius for putting all the swivel eyed brexiteers in charge of negotiations?
She was hailed as a genius because they're 100% guaranteed to gently caress it up and destroy their own careers, not because they're the best people for the job.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Here's some rich people with some great ideas lamenting the election of Corbyn

quote:

The problem with Smith was he was not a known face, Rosenblatt said, adding that he did not expect the former shadow work and pensions secretary to win an election. “All one can hope is that if he wins, then he will be able to bring back people into the shadow cabinet who have real talent, real ability,” Rosenblatt said.

“I think he will get support from people who used to support Ed Miliband because he is the only option, not because people think he will win the next election. But we’ve got to start from somewhere.”

:ironicat:

quote:

David Abrahams, a north-east businessman who has [secretly] given the party more than £650,000, said he did not expect Smith to beat Corbyn and expressed some caution about backing a completely new political party. However, he said he believed the way forward was for Labour’s anti-Corbyn MPs to form their own opposition in parliament.

“If the PLP were to break away from Corbyn and call themselves ‘progressive Labour’, they could be the official opposition and have the Short money, that would be enough to set up the back office. And then we’d see where we are,” Abrahams said.

"Let's just pretend Corbyn never won, this will work out great"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
In slightly less bleak news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/takepart/time_commanders

Any of you guys planning on joining?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If they did split and call themselves the progressive labour party at least we wouldn't need to change the acronym.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
So the education minister is considering bringing back grammar schools. Yay child segregation! :toot:

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
I'm not sure this is news to anyone but the reason Labour is doing so poo poo in the polls is because it's a giant flaming trash can which most people don't want anywhere near the government, not because of judgements on policy either way

tooterfish posted:

She was hailed as a genius because they're 100% guaranteed to gently caress it up and destroy their own careers, not because they're the best people for the job.

Definitely a genius move because people love Prime Ministers presiding over giant fuckups

I think the recent elaborate theories about internal Tory politics, beginning with the 'poisoned chalice' one about Boris, are mostly nonsense, just attempting to read some kind of grand plan into what probably amounts to just a combination of short-term manoeuvring and impulsive decisions. Putting the hard right people in charge of foreign policy makes sense given the facts that a) May needs to unite the hard right with the softer wing of the party, b) this means putting the hard right people in a few influential positions, c) this is much more sensible to do with the jobs delivering Brexit (which people just voted for, including most Tories) and not economic and social delivery offices (where people haven't voted for hard-right policies and don't support them).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Political genius may not be accurate but comedic may have merit.

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

marktheando posted:

Is all the leadership and NEC election stuff for union members done through email or will they send stuff through the post? My mum refuses to check her work email while she's on holiday (she works in a school so that's quite a long time) and I'm concerned she won't get to vote as a result.

I got an email with a link to vote in the NEC election a couple of weeks ago, and a letter with a voting slip (and raffle tickets!) this week. The ballot closes on 12th August, so there's still quite a bit of time left.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Josef bugman posted:

Medieval 3 Total War confirmed?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's a genius move to put some dickhead who thinks the UK won't be the whipping boy of any free trade deals between giants like the US and China. I can't loving wait.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Zohar posted:

Definitely a genius move because people love Prime Ministers presiding over giant fuckups
The point isn't that they're there specifically to gently caress it up, it's that there's literally no way not to gently caress this up.

They made the populist flee ridden bed, then tried to duck out of lying in it in the hopes the fleas would bite someone else.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

The point isn't that they're there specifically to gently caress it up, it's that there's literally no way not to gently caress this up.

They made the populist flee ridden bed, then tried to duck out of lying in it in the hopes the fleas would bite someone else.

There's loving up. And then there's loving the country for 50 years.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

So in the end, Smith managed to fill half a room in London:

https://twitter.com/BlackXList/status/758012861746733056

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mister Adequate posted:

Medieval 3 Total War confirmed?

Nah, it'll be Rome 2 I am betting.

I am seriously going to be applying for this, I only hope that I am wrong and it turns out the game is actually Warhammer Total War.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

There's loving up. And then there's loving the country for 50 years.
They already did that though.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Hello friends, you might remember me from last week with my "sexual abuse to a child perpetrated by her father" case I was a jury member for. Well I have another one this week, and it's drug related and in a way I'm relieved it's not another icky one, but at the same time upset that it's not a bit more, well, important (for reasons I am not going to disclose)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Ocrassus posted:

So the education minister is considering bringing back grammar schools. Yay child segregation! :toot:

To be fair, the current system already leads to child segregation between those who can afford to move into areas with good schools and those who don't have the ability to move and stick with local inner city schools.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

'Do you have the tactics to outwit the strategic advances of the opposition'

Tactics and strategy are different things! They have different words for a reason :negative:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

spiderbot posted:

I got an email with a link to vote in the NEC election a couple of weeks ago, and a letter with a voting slip (and raffle tickets!) this week. The ballot closes on 12th August, so there's still quite a bit of time left.

I think you have to pay extra to actually get the raffle tickets don't you? And yeah, timeline was the same on all this for me as a Labour Party member. How it works for union affiliates I don't know though.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Zohar posted:

Brexit itself is a giant gently caress up, end of story. The only thing that matters to the PM is how much deniability she has when that becomes apparent to your average man in the street.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Hello friends, you might remember me from last week with my "sexual abuse to a child perpetrated by her father" case I was a jury member for. Well I have another one this week, and it's drug related and in a way I'm relieved it's not another icky one, but at the same time upset that it's not a bit more, well, important (for reasons I am not going to disclose)

how come you get two cases on the bounce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

I was gonna say that any of Bristol's popular pubs are a likely place to have an accidental/impromptu goonmeet, then that reminded me Fluo's dead :smith:

Wait, seriously? When?

• Locked thread