Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Vengarr posted:

I thought they were trying to complicate her a bit with ALIEN HAND SYNDROME... But nah, it was just Delta mindhacking her into murdering him because reasons?

Because he wanted to create more histories, and he knew he'd have to 'nudge' the most morally consistent characters into making out of character choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Also man with the reveal that they're all in the same ward and awake at different times, it puts a hosed up spin on how unfair the Acid Bath decision game is for the latter teams

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

All it would have taken was one more scene like ? in VLR, just vaguely alluding to some observer outside the time stream and driving home the comment about the quantum computer timelines, and it would have tied it together well enough that I would be satisfied. But here we just have that stupid Delta gotcha with literally no reason other than to have a twist. It wouldn't even bug me so much if the overall setting/setup of ZTD is by far my favorite in the series and then it just gets spoiled with "oh yeah there was a guy off screen in this third person game for literally no reason other than because...gently caress you."

Despite all that, I still hope we get another one, because I'm some kind of masochist or something and I'm hoping this was a fluke (having never read through the Ever17/whatever series). If we ever did though I hope they basically relegate the Radical-6 future to dialogue and poo poo because it's bleak and we know everything there is to know about it, more or less:

-Everything in VLR happens, of course
-Akane sets up the AB game and is almost certainly cooperating with Delta when she does, I don't think it's insignificant that she sends Sigma's consciousness back to right after she meets with Delta and Free the Soul
-Alice and Clover were probably transported to Rhizome 9 and thus led perfectly normal lives in post-apocalyptic Earth, though who knows if they managed to shift back to their bodies there. If not then Alice and Clover are stuck on the moon and nearly everyone they know is dead.

The only missing link is Kyle, who presumably went back to shortly before ZTD to assist Delta at Akane's behest, and ?, who is just never mentioned at all in ZTD despite literally the whole gimmick only making sense if it's involved.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

voltcatfish posted:

Also man with the reveal that they're all in the same ward and awake at different times, it puts a hosed up spin on how unfair the Acid Bath decision game is for the latter teams

To be fair, Zero could have set it up so that the players who pressed the button fastest in the time relative to being told the message would be the "winner".

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The whole "oh, I never said it would happen NOW. It's time for you to sleep," thing was a hell of a hint about them all being in the same ward, in retrospect.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Ryoshi posted:

The whole "oh, I never said it would happen NOW. It's time for you to sleep," thing was a hell of a hint about them all being in the same ward, in retrospect.

At the time when he woke them back up just so they could be awake and suffering during their acid bath, I was like "Oh man what a hilarious dick Zero is"

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Vengarr posted:

I thought they were trying to complicate her a bit with ALIEN HAND SYNDROME... But nah, it was just Delta mindhacking her into murdering him because reasons?

I definitely prefer to believe it was just her faking it to get out of the whole thing. Zero's explanation at the end wouldn't make sense any other way.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Please update the OP again, thnx

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Just finished, man that Delta twist actually confused the poo poo out of me until I read the file about Sean. Suddenly they're calling him Sean and I'm like "when did he tell them his name?"

Also, in the timelines where Delta is dead, whose perspective were we watching from?

edit: Just wanted to say as well that I really liked how they made decisions seem significant again with the shifting explanation of killing the alternate version. In 999, every decision felt like a huge deal and in VLR, they really didn't, so giving the decisions a bit more significance again was nice.

Zeeman fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 26, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

We are always from ?'s perspective not Delta's

I'll maintain this to the bitter end

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

We are always from ?'s perspective not Delta's

I'll maintain this to the bitter end

It doesn't really need to be argued, like 45% of the game happens with Delta Dead.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

It doesn't really need to be argued, like 45% of the game happens with Delta Dead.

And yet people keep assuming the opposite for some reason

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Delta's whole plan was actually made together with Phi and was meant to make his sister, who was the strongest and first SHIFTer, into a true 4th dimensional being. This by first sending a copy into the future and making her go through VLR and ZTD and force her to make many decisions and SHIFT a lot so the limits on her brain would slowly erode, giving her access to the 4th dimension without having to store up brain slingshot power - by doing so, humanity in turn would answer and would evolve into greater beings who can access the 4th dimension where their consciousnesses are stored. This was Delta and Phi's true goal - taking humanity to the next step.

The entire game is actually seen through Phi's eyes directly after CQD2 End, and she has to go back and ensure everything happens as it does so that, once the last SHIFT happens, her mind would be set free.

:fanfiction:

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

And yet people keep assuming the opposite for some reason

When you tell Sean to kill Delta with the crossbow, he shoots at "you"

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Zeeman posted:

When you tell Sean to kill Delta with the crossbow, he shoots at "you"

I mean, yeah. Because the camera shifts to his view right after you select the choice. That doesn't have anything to do with the rest of the game.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Momomo posted:

I definitely prefer to believe it was just her faking it to get out of the whole thing. Zero's explanation at the end wouldn't make sense any other way.

It makes sense if you think he was doing it to screw with Diana, who can SHIFT. Or the player, because that's how Zero rolls.

I mean, Carlos says the exact same thing in his button push/bad vote scenes. "It felt like someone took control of my hand!"

And while it makes zero sense for Delta to mindcontrol someone into killing him, he does that explicitly with Eric's shotgun after the Force Quit boxes are open. Maybe Delta was just kind of suicidal.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean, yeah. Because the camera shifts to his view right after you select the choice. That doesn't have anything to do with the rest of the game.

I don't know, they also show the cameras cutting out from your perspective during the Q Force Quit segment when Sean shuts them down

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also Delta said he had a security camera feed going into his glasses, which explains the camera angles not from his direct perspective.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It can easily be patched up by saying that your perspective was the cameras the whole time, even if Delta was dead.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
It's quite simple.

Blick Winkel/?/the player is the glasses.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It can easily be patched up by saying that your perspective was the cameras the whole time, even if Delta was dead.

You know, for all Delta's talk about not being able to SHIFT, he pretty obviously knows everything that goes on in the shelter across all timelines - the shelter is run by the same quantum computer Sean is running on, after all, so it makes sense that his magic glasses would be hooked into the system too. That's probably actually the intended twist of the game, that the player literally is always Delta, occasionally watching from another timeline.

It still sucks and needed one more scene to pull it together, and that "THE TRUTH IS INVISIBLE" clue is going to bug me forever.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

People are straight up making up non-existent plot twists at this point smh

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat

Paul Zuvella posted:

People are straight up making up non-existent plot twists at this point smh

Yeah, Blick Winkel is a pretty stupid idea.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Terper posted:

Delta's whole plan was actually made together with Phi and was meant to make his sister, who was the strongest and first SHIFTer, into a true 4th dimensional being. This by first sending a copy into the future and making her go through VLR and ZTD and force her to make many decisions and SHIFT a lot so the limits on her brain would slowly erode, giving her access to the 4th dimension without having to store up brain slingshot power - by doing so, humanity in turn would answer and would evolve into greater beings who can access the 4th dimension where their consciousnesses are stored. This was Delta and Phi's true goal - taking humanity to the next step.

The entire game is actually seen through Phi's eyes directly after CQD2 End, and she has to go back and ensure everything happens as it does so that, once the last SHIFT happens, her mind would be set free.

:fanfiction:

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Al, where am I now?"

"Hoo boy, Sam, this one's a fuckin' doozy."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Blick Winkel being Sam Beckett is my headcanon now.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Waffleman_ posted:

Diana suddenly gives a rousing performance of "Great Balls of Fire" on the healing room piano, despite it only having 1 octave.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Vengarr posted:

It makes sense if you think he was doing it to screw with Diana, who can SHIFT. Or the player, because that's how Zero rolls.

I mean, Carlos says the exact same thing in his button push/bad vote scenes. "It felt like someone took control of my hand!"

And while it makes zero sense for Delta to mindcontrol someone into killing him, he does that explicitly with Eric's shotgun after the Force Quit boxes are open. Maybe Delta was just kind of suicidal.

To try and guilt her for something that wasn't actually her doing is just lame though. We have infinite universes, which means there are ones where Diana and Carlos both pressed the buttons, so we really didn't need MIND HACK to explain it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

thinking about quantum leap makes me sad there aren't any evil shifters trying to thwart your time travel shenanigans

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

MegaZeroX posted:

I didn't know there was a spoiler thread! I wish I started posting in here earlier.

quote:

21) Decision game starts with "deci," which means ten - Credit goes to ultramario1998 (reddit)
You piece of poo poo Uchikoshi

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I have a couple of problems with the game.

1. Akane freaking out about Junpei dying or w/e, literally a year after she had him kidnapped and locked in a compound where he was continually exposed to danger, all so that she could save herself.

2. I loved the Q/Delta/Zero reveal but some things about it don't really make much sense. He's the leader of Free the Soul so in the VLR timeline he goes and makes lots of clones of his dead adoptive brother, then tries to sabotage the Nonary game on the moon because I guess his motives are ~~complex~~.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

2. I loved the Q/Delta/Zero reveal but some things about it don't really make much sense. He's the leader of Free the Soul so in the VLR timeline he goes and makes lots of clones of his dead adoptive brother, then tries to sabotage the Nonary game on the moon because I guess his motives are ~~complex~~.

The threat was needed so that his dad would shift a lot and flip the genetic switches so he could be born with superpowers

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

irlZaphod posted:

I have a couple of problems with the game.

1. Akane freaking out about Junpei dying or w/e, literally a year after she had him kidnapped and locked in a compound where he was continually exposed to danger, all so that she could save herself.

well, there was never any bombs in the bracelets anyway. the one bad dude was ace, and crazy clover.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

You piece of poo poo Uchikoshi
Also note that the way out was the 'X door' this time.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Also note that the way out was the 'X door' this time.
omgggggggg

Terper posted:

The threat was needed so that his dad would shift a lot and flip the genetic switches so he could be born with superpowers
That's true. Delta is very ~~complex~~.

Tired Moritz posted:

well, there was never any bombs in the bracelets anyway. the one bad dude was ace, and crazy clover.
There must have been some bombs because the 9th man blew up and so did the guy dressed as Snake.

They weren't actually on a sinking ship either but still, Junpei is killed in several endings so he really was in danger depending on what choices he made.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think they said at the end that only the bad guys actually had bombs in them.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Honestly, I kinda don't care that Kyle/? wasn't brought up again. I mean I guess it could have been cool if they were, but I suppose I just like ZTD so much that it not having them in it/them not being a big deal (if indeed they are in the game somewhere) is not a huge deal to me.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

omgggggggg

That's true. Delta is very ~~complex~~.

There must have been some bombs because the 9th man blew up and so did the guy dressed as Snake.

They weren't actually on a sinking ship either but still, Junpei is killed in several endings so he really was in danger depending on what choices he made.

Well, VLR and ZTD Akane is very adamant about there being a "true" or "best" timeline. She doesn't care about condemning her alternate timeline self to death in order to demonstrate SHIFTing to Carlos. Nor does she show the least remorse in telling Junpei "yeah those forty years you struggled to survive and make something of your life? They're not important because I consider this timeline I'm trying to bring about to be the true one".

So 999 is easily resolved in her mind as "In the timeline I am alive in, which I consider to be the true timeline I'm bringing about, Junpei was never hurt or in any danger past being brought in to play the game". She knows what happens in the future she survives in, and she knows that Junpei is perfectly fine, ergo, no moral problems.

That there are multiple timelines where Junpei does die horribly because of the situation is immaterial: as far as Akane's concerned, those don't count. She's very consistent with this attitude. She's also consistently hypocritical about it, as demonstrated by her getting mad at Delta setting up the Decision Game in order to achieve his....complex goals. When Akane does it, it's okay, because she's trying to bring about a noble outcome (in her mind). When someone else does it, it's usurping God's right as to who lives and who dies.

Akane being outright shown to be little better than Delta while being outright convinced of her own righteousness is one of the best parts of ZTD, really.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lmao

• Locked thread