Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

This actually does make some sense as to why they'd be paranoid to announce early, afraid Microsoft or Sony could try and work some kind of versions of their consoles that were portable. And no, I don't mean something like the PSP, I mean a PS4 that you can take on the go.

It's really badass that the "gimmick" Nintendo has been cooking up this whole time involves the concept of the system itself and not "waggle 2.0" or something goofy in regards to controller input.

Allegedly, of course.

Maybe its a mobile console so that every game can have mandatory location based gameplay like Pokemon GO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

All of your old Amiibos won't work but get ready to buy some AmiiGOs!

Take your Mario for a 5km walk to unlock a new skin in Smash Bros NX!

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

This actually does make some sense as to why they'd be paranoid to announce early, afraid Microsoft or Sony could try and work some kind of versions of their consoles that were portable. And no, I don't mean something like the PSP, I mean a PS4 that you can take on the go.

It's really badass that the "gimmick" Nintendo has been cooking up this whole time involves the concept of the system itself and not "waggle 2.0" or something goofy in regards to controller input.

Allegedly, of course.

I still think there's something they're sitting on that might not even be at the hardware layer that is the thing they're trying to avoid being stolen, even/especially if these leaks turn out to be mostly or entirely true.

I still think it might be some kind of interface with iOS/Android devices.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Comrade Fakename posted:

I am worried that the NX will use the X1 chip and not the X2 that a lot of people are assuming. This article on Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-nx-mobile-games-machine-powered-by-nvidia-tegra makes it clear that the only information they have right now is that the NX uses X1, though there are some clues that it might use X2. I like the sound of those clues, but I think that an X1-powered console would be a big disappointment for me, especially since I play most of my games on the TV.

I agree it's pretty dumb to see a bunch of websites reporting it must be the X2 because even though their sources say it's an X1, they had one source who says it has an audible fan and an X1 wouldn't need an audible fan so THEREFORE.

But it will probably be fine either way. Whichever chip it has you can't just directly compare it to some other device because this will have its own design and architecture and other specs.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

greatn posted:

But it will probably be fine either way. Whichever chip it has you can't just directly compare it to some other device because this will have its own design and architecture and other specs.

Which is my biggest concern, as Nintendo has done this a few times and it generally ends with one or two ~rockstar developers~ sandbagging the entire system with an uninformed comment about its "weak-rear end cpu" (or gpu) and, admittedly more fairly, general reluctance to rebuild game engines for a different architecture.

But hey maybe if it's a console/portable hybrid that is actually worth a hill of beans there will be a compelling reason to port multi-system games to it, and a compelling reason to play those versions even when you get more fps/graphics on the PS4/Xbone editions.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Blazing Zero posted:

i believe in the nintendoGO

Oh man they're gonna call it this aren't they

Count me in as more interested in a powerful portable system than a ps4/xbone competitor. Haven't bought a Nintendo product since the SNES.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

We asked you nicely to take a break every couple of hours and go outside.

Now we're not asking.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I hope they call the base station the Nintendock.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Use the Nintendock to house your NintenGO! and your AmiiGOs!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

maybe a look at how nx ports will turn out?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm16p4qYjF4

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Yeah I can see third-party devs half-rear end porting their games to the NX for the first year before dropping it entirely.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

So, basically the last two Nintendo consoles again?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

While you can definitely tell in the side-by-sides, just the game by itself is pretty much fine when you're not faced with what you're missing out on. If the difference between the NX and the PS4/Xbone is similar, especially if it has a Tegra 2 or is otherwise a bit punchier than the Shield, this would definitely be an acceptable loss of fidelity for the convenience of a portable.

Maybe if we're lucky that "is portable" part will be enough to make things go better than the repeated past that Mercury Crusader up there brings up :shobon:

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I'm wondering about the detachable controllers part. Why have detachable controllers instead of having the controller and screen be the main controller and then having separate controllers, like with the Wii U? All speculation at this point anyway so who knows

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

whaley posted:

I'm wondering about the detachable controllers part. Why have detachable controllers instead of having the controller and screen be the main controller and then sell separate controllers, like with the Wii U? All speculation at this point anyway so who knows

because the screen needs to dock to tv and you need a controller to use.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Mercury Crusader posted:

Yeah I can see third-party devs half-rear end porting their games to the NX for the first year before dropping it entirely.

Depends on the company. Square-Enix, Level 5, Sega, Bandai-Namco, and especially Capcom will be very happy with this, all have done a lot of work on the 3DS that has sold very well. Capcom's made a fortune on Yokai Watch and Monster Hunter, they'll double down on this poo poo wholeheartedly.

You're probably right about Western devs in general, though WB will throw Legos stuff at this, Activision Skylanders, and Ubisoft Just Dance and the like. I could see Skylanders doing very well among little kids on an NX that can go anywhere with built-in NFC support.

It might eventually develop a library of ports from companies wanting to shove their old gen 7 games into a new portable market, like the DS got a lot of Gen 4/5 ports.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Real hurthling! posted:

because the screen needs to dock to tv and you need a controller to use.

Ahh okay I see, my next question was gonna be does the controller transmit video to the TV wirelessly or not, now it makes sense. So no more dual screen stuff?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Real hurthling! posted:

Doesn't Android's OGL implementation have a shitload of overhead?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Patter Song posted:

You're probably right about Western devs in general, though WB will throw Legos stuff at this, Activision Skylanders, and Ubisoft Just Dance and the like. I could see Skylanders doing very well among little kids on an NX that can go anywhere with built-in NFC support.

I'm pretty sure that a big part of why the thing looks like it might be kind of a tablet shape (and hell, why they even did the Wii U gimmick in the first place) and functions as a tablet with buttons basically is that kids fuckin love tablets. I don't even have kids nor am I ever around them much, but when I am they are usually clutching a tablet (or their sibling is and they have Mommy's Old Phone) so even I know this, I'm sure this hasn't escaped Nintendo's market research.

If this thing is cheaper (as in half the cost) than an iPad, can watch YouTube Kids, and play Skylanders, it will be a huge hit, just maybe not with HARDCORE GAMERZ (other than btw HD POKEYMONS ON YOUR TV).

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Shield Android TV has the same chip in it and costs $200, so I'd guess that Nintendo could get the NX to $250? $300?

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

I woke up this morning with a bad hangover
And my console was missing again.
This happens all the time.
It's detachable.

This comes in handy a lot of the time.
I can leave it home, when I think it's gonna get me in trouble,
Or I can rent it out, when I don't need it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It'd even be cool to put it on my airplane seat tray and detach the controllers instead of having to be hunched over.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i wonder how spare controllers will be sold.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The Devil Tesla posted:

The Shield Android TV has the same chip in it and costs $200, so I'd guess that Nintendo could get the NX to $250? $300?

The chip probably isn't the bulk of the cost in either, there's all sorts of components involved.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The Devil Tesla posted:

Yeah I assume it's going to be around $300 or less, and iPads are like $600 for the current gen ones (though old ones, and probably the kind a lot of kids have, run much cheaper). These iPads are already selling so I see no reason the NX wouldn't either around this price point.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Saucer Crab posted:

It's detachable.

:perfect:

Valency
Feb 3, 2010

HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT

Saucer Crab posted:

It's detachable.

:vince:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I'm no game developer, but could the NX theoretically employ the Vulkan API if devs coded for it?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I've never programmed for consoles, but the way I understand it, they (or at least Sony and Nintendo consoles) have always had native graphics APIs that were more similar to Vulkan than OpenGL.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 26, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'm no game developer, but could the NX theoretically employ the Vulkan API if devs coded for it?

if it uses the X2 chips that are rumored i think they can use vulcan but the current gen ones don't? i think i read that today

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cTt_nxTWo

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
The Nintendo NX is the first procedurally-created games console. No two will look alike and it will take 5-billion years to see them all

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
https://youtu.be/C6cTt_nxTWo

This is a really good breakdown that explains it all pretty concisely.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Saucer Crab posted:

It's detachable.

Very nice :golfclap:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

If the rumors about the final version using the 2X are true, this could be a really good device, as long as the price point isn't outrageous. If it's the 1X i'm not super optimistic about its future.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

sarmhan posted:

If the rumors about the final version using the 2X are true, this could be a really good device, as long as the price point isn't outrageous. If it's the 1X i'm not super optimistic about its future.

As the Digital Foundry guy said, using the X2 rather than the X1 would be a good explanation for why the NX is coming out in March 2017 rather than, say, November 2016, which would otherwise make a lot more sense.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

sarmhan posted:

The price would be ridiculous if they were using a brand new chip. I mean, they have they have to include a screen as part of the console as well. The wii u gamepad cost quite a bit.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The price would be ridiculous if they were using a brand new chip. I mean, they have they have to include a screen as part of the console as well. The wii u gamepad cost quite a bit.

But isn't the benefit of going with the Nvidia folks over the AMDmen that Nvidia is so far behind that they'd be willing to eat production costs to get products out there or something?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea I thought NVIDIA just wanted to sell Tegras PERIOD, since no one wants them at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
As described, it sounds like this would be the death of the 2nd screen? As described, it sounds more like a handheld that can be hooked up and displayed on a TV which if that's what it takes to get Monster Hunter on a big screen again I'm ok with... but also sounds like less of a dedicated home console. I guess what I'm saying is it feels more like an evolution of the 3DS and the loss of the Wii/Wii U.

Microsoft and Sony are trying to kill console gaming with these mid generation console upgrades, I guess Nintendo is ahead of the game.

• Locked thread