Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I think bringing all the DLC features together will make this a much better game, but I also think people are really overselling how bad things have gotten with the latest DLCs. The state/territory system is actually great. Sailors are useless mostly, but you can ignore them. My eyes don't even register them in the UI at this point. Corruption might suck more for non-Europeans, but it's a matter of ducats. I'm ambivalent about estates, but they require almost zero attention, except when you conquer a bunch of new territory, and the merchant estate is a great trade centre bonus.

I might be a fanatic with over 2000 hours in the game, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kulkasha posted:

Bismarck is spinning in his grave.

The HRE had been official dissolved, and the map of central Europe fundamentally redrawn, almost a decade before Bismarck was born.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Transmetropolitan posted:

(this is also to say "hopefully Clausewitz manages to have a global map for the next games", but I don't know if the intention is to make a EU V or a new game for the period)

Why do you want a global map? I think it would be pretty awkward to use and offer hardly any benefit.

In Hearts of Iron seeing the correct distances might be important, and the Arctic route is a big deal, but for EU I think a flat map is better.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 26, 2016

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Tsyni posted:

I think bringing all the DLC features together will make this a much better game, but I also think people are really overselling how bad things have gotten with the latest DLCs. The state/territory system is actually great. Sailors are useless mostly, but you can ignore them. My eyes don't even register them in the UI at this point. Corruption might suck more for non-Europeans, but it's a matter of ducats. I'm ambivalent about estates, but they require almost zero attention, except when you conquer a bunch of new territory, and the merchant estate is a great trade centre bonus.

I might be a fanatic with over 2000 hours in the game, though.

I don't think the latest DLC are bad... they just seem to have lost some focus or something? Or maybe they just aren't focusing on what I'd like, I dunno.

For example, the government system seems so undercooked. It's pretty much "Spend 100 Admin, become Absolute Monarchy, get slightly better bonuses". :lol: The EUIV period deserves so much better.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NihilCredo posted:

Why do you want a global map? I think it would be pretty awkward to use and offer hardly any benefit.

In Hearts of Iron seeing the correct distances might be important, and the Arctic route is a big deal, but for EU I think a flat map is better.
I think the ideal when people say new map games should be based on a globe is that if you have a globe, it shouldn't be a super hard graphical transform function to render that globe as your choice of any sort of projection you can mathematically specify. Its not really an either-or by the time you take the effort to model the globe first but its a huge initial outlay in work to turn their current stock of maps into a fully rendered globe.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Indeed, its not so important that it be a globe, just that it isn't the broken rear end non-projection we have now where the continents are misshapen and out of place.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I just wish they'd simplify the interface and make it so things are more obvious and less tedious.

For instance, trade. Steer or collect? Privateer or protect? I wish the trade-offs were more obvious. Tooltips are often wrong for the trade protecting, which doesn't help.

Buildings are messy too. Why doesn't the production menu list where a building would be most beneficial? You literally need to go province by province on the map to see where's the biggest number.

Diplomatic relations could also use a consolidated interface. My strategy in most empire-building games is to blob and then look for diplomatic vassalizations. But there's no easy way to see who's willing to accept or close to accepting -- again, you have to click on every country and see for yourself. This would be just as useful for alliances.

A lot of EU4 is waiting around. Creating an interface that explicates information and minimizes tedium would go a long way to making the game not only move along faster but also easier to understand for newbies. The mod scene can only do so much.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Indeed, its not so important that it be a globe, just that it isn't the broken rear end non-projection we have now where the continents are misshapen and out of place.
A big reason for that is supposedly to reduce loading times. If South America went as far south as it should be, that's a bigger map. More to load.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Vegetable posted:

A big reason for that is supposedly to reduce loading times. If South America went as far south as it should be, that's a bigger map. More to load.

And a ton of extra useless blue stuff.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Chickpea Roar posted:

And a ton of extra useless blue stuff.
France can always use more content, imo.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Vegetable posted:

For instance, trade. Steer or collect? Privateer or protect? I wish the trade-offs were more obvious. Tooltips are often wrong for the trade protecting, which doesn't help.

I agree with most of your other points but these are incredibly different. It would definitely help if the tooltips were better but consolidating the actions would make no sense.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Koramei posted:

I agree with most of your other points but these are incredibly different. It would definitely help if the tooltips were better but consolidating the actions would make no sense.
I'm not suggesting a simplification of system. Keep the distinct mechanisms but the interface should estimate how much steering vs collecting does for your trade income. Same with light ships, it should just give us a very clear what-if scenario of different deployments. Anything would be better than forcing the player to spend dozens of ingame months trying different combinations.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Koramei posted:

privateering has no reason to exist and is pure bloat, imo

the base trade system is interesting and encourages expansion in historical directions. privateering is just a way to avoid meaningfully interacting with it. lame!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Nearly all of what's missing is ocean provinces. While you would need to load larger bitmaps (or give up a small amount of resolution I guess), we're talking provinces with nothing much going on in them, no history entries that need to be managed, etc. I'll trade an extra 2s at startup to get a correct map, and I'd be amazed if it was even that much. EU isn't all that memory intensive anyway.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

If anything, it's more realistic for the continents to be misshapen and out of place during this part of history

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Typus Orbis Terrarum uses a better projection and doesn't add anything much to the load time, at least from what I could tell.

Vegetable posted:

I'm not suggesting a simplification of system. Keep the distinct mechanisms but the interface should estimate how much steering vs collecting does for your trade income. Same with light ships, it should just give us a very clear what-if scenario of different deployments. Anything would be better than forcing the player to spend dozens of ingame months trying different combinations.

Once you get to a proper sized trade empire, steering etc in one node in Malaysia or whatever can have such insane knock on effects down the line in Europe that wouldn't be a simple thing that they could keep calculating previews for. The trade interface already gets pretty laggy, I expect there's a reason the tooltips are so poo poo. That being said it's usually pretty straightforward to work out what the effects of putting some trade ships down or redirecting somewhere will do by yourself, just not in a precise way.

What I think they should add is an "autoassign merchants" button. The game does it at the start anyway, and trade is such a huge wall to new players that even though they wouldn't assign perfectly it'd still be preferable for some people I'm sure.

PleasingFungus posted:

privateering has no reason to exist and is pure bloat, imo

the base trade system is interesting and encourages expansion in historical directions. privateering is just a way to avoid meaningfully interacting with it. lame!

I like it so much better than the old "there are exactly 4 pirate ships in the entirety of the Moluccus" thing there used to be/ most other games do, having it abstracted with the privateering system makes the game world feel so much bigger and more alive. I wish it was modified by non-state actors too though, just a passive piracy uptick in trade zones that you're not patrolling with heavies.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

If anything, it's more realistic for the continents to be misshapen and out of place during this part of history

If EU5 has some crazy pseudo-generated map that forms and deforms over time like geographers refining their techniques would draw I might keel over and die.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Odobenidae posted:

If EU5 has some crazy pseudo-generated map that forms and deforms over time like geographers refining their techniques would draw I might keel over and die.

I never knew how much I wanted that until you opened your big mouth.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Odobenidae posted:

It might not even be very difficult to make that happen; instead of having grey terra incognita everywhere you'd just fill in that space with whatever seemed feasible at the time. And when the terra incognita would be revealed, you just reveal what's actually there.

I've always thought it was odd that when you start as one of the many European powers you basically have no idea what most of Asia looks like. Cartography in 1444 was pretty bad but it wasn't that bad

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

QuarkJets posted:

I've always thought it was odd that when you start as one of the many European powers you basically have no idea what most of Asia looks like. Cartography in 1444 was pretty bad but it wasn't that bad

From 1489:

They knew Asia was there but to say they knew what it looked like is a bit of a stretch.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

They barely know what Europe looks like

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

From 1489:

They knew Asia was there but to say they knew what it looked like is a bit of a stretch.

Day 1 of EU4, you basically don't know that Eastern Asia is there. That's what I'm getting at. Also, I didn't say that they knew what Asia looked like with any real detail. This is what I said:

QuarkJets posted:

As your example shows, Europeans had some vague ideas regarding the size and shape of Asia. That is what I'd like to see drawn on top of the Terra Incognita. It would be cool

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

QuarkJets posted:

It might not even be very difficult to make that happen; instead of having grey terra incognita everywhere you'd just fill in that space with whatever seemed feasible at the time. And when the terra incognita would be revealed, you just reveal what's actually there.

You can do that with a mod and it wouldn't even break Ironman, I think. Just put your fantasy map full of lions and dragons as the Terra Incognita texture.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

From 1489:

If you reassign Sri Lanka's extra land area to India and merge the two semi-fictitious peninsulas together into Southeast Asia it's not horrible. The scales of a lot of the pieces are all wrong because nobody had done a thorough survey or anything but a person could explore the Asian coastline with this and only run into a few major surprises along the way.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Not to mention that people were really bad at accurately determining their longitude for a very long time anyway, so it's not like you could really expect the world maps to be that accurate anyway.

People were combining Ptolemy's Geography with accounts of Marco Polo's exploration of eastern Asia by the end of the 15th century in order to create some vague idea of what Asia looked like, it'd be cool to have a sense of that.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

QuarkJets posted:

As your example shows, Europeans had some vague ideas regarding the size and shape of Asia. That is what I'd like to see drawn on top of the Terra Incognita. It would be cool

The old game Merchant Prince did this:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

From 1489:

"So there's this peninsula down in south east asia"
"Oh yeah, how big is it?"
"Pretty big I guess"
"OKAY :downs:"

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

My favourite part is ISLANDS EVERYWHERE, ISLANDS FOR EVERYONE in the Pacific

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

"So there's this peninsula down in south east asia"
"Oh yeah, how big is it?"
"Pretty big I guess"
"OKAY :downs:"

I'm fairly certain those are supposed to be Kathiawar and India, respectively. If they are, their scale to each other isn't completely off. If so, then that indicates they had a solid-enough idea of India, kinda-sorta knew about Indonesia, and no idea whatosever about mainland SE Asia.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Caustic Soda posted:

I'm fairly certain those are supposed to be Kathiawar and India, respectively. If they are, their scale to each other isn't completely off. If so, then that indicates they had a solid-enough idea of India, kinda-sorta knew about Indonesia, and no idea whatosever about mainland SE Asia.

India is the big island and the chunk of mainland next to it. Southern India and Sri Lanka were bolted together into the big island, Ceylon. The ancient Mediterranean world had some limited trade contact even so far as Indonesia, and somebody obviously drew an outline of Malaysia and Sumatra...and only Malaysia and Sumatra, which were referred to as the Golden Chersonese. This made it into the ancient world maps as a peninsula and island southwest of China, which is reasonable. Ptolemy thought that south of China was a solid landmass, which he didn't really depict in detail since supposedly no one had ever been there. The Arab world had brought back word that actually the Pacific exists and there's a strait through Ptolemy's landmass, but the Europeans arrive at the conclusion that since obviously nobody else has ever been there it can't be the same thing as the Golden Chersonese. No, it's just another peninsula and island pair at the same longitude that looks suspiciously similar, don't question it!

Incidentally, Columbus would have been in for a hell of a surprise even if the Americas hadn't existed, because he was aiming for the Dragon's Tail (the big mostly-fictional eastern peninsula). Also, I've never noticed before but Alaska is on this map! Well, a bullshit fantasy island where Alaska should be, anyway. Honestly, though, the grasp that they had on the basics of Asia was rather impressive for a bunch of people who didn't even know the actual shape of the Arabian peninsula.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 28, 2016

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I think the northeast island is actually supposed to be Japan (Glorious Zipangri), and the two southeast islands are Java and Timor, since it looks similar to the Waldseemuller map (warning: giant JPG)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Its a page or two late but I think Muscovy is a great pick as a starter nation because the HRE AE coalitionville isnt right next door. Early you are surrounded by weak-ish neighbors (Novgorod and the hordes); Novgorod is same culture/same religion (which makes for good simple early conquest) and then as you escalate you have to deal with off religion/off culture provinces. Trade is pretty straight forward, you have the option to colonize, eventually you can start playing with boats, you start with a good general, and the only big boys on the same block are the Polish/Lithuanians. Eventually Sweden ascends and the Ottomans are close enough to be a problem and the Timurids could be a pain if they stay together.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I look at Muscovy similar to Castille. There's a lot of good goals and options which make it nice looking for learning games. But depending on day 1 diplomacy rolls you may have 2 centuries of no resistance expansion into powers that are punching bags because alliances didn't pan out right, or else you end up with very real existential threats preventing you from uniting Russia's heartland to properly turn into the clown car you want to be to handle the scary alliances that have sprung up.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

zedprime posted:

I look at Muscovy similar to Castille. There's a lot of good goals and options which make it nice looking for learning games. But depending on day 1 diplomacy rolls you may have 2 centuries of no resistance expansion into powers that are punching bags because alliances didn't pan out right, or else you end up with very real existential threats preventing you from uniting Russia's heartland to properly turn into the clown car you want to be to handle the scary alliances that have sprung up.
I can see your point but I think they have it easier than anyone in Western Europe. Their position is very forgiving considering that even if you have to be patient for a few decades because of alliances or bad luck, after a few decades you will likely have an insurmountable military advantage against the hordes. You dont have threats all around you like PLC and Sweden do, and unless you play particularly poorly/have really bad luck, you can use colonization to gain power later on if PLC is a tough nut to crack at the time.

Meanwhile if you even look at France funny as Castille, you are hosed if they come for you.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Another dumb question: if I'm up to the fourth Aragon national idea and form Spain, do I get their first four national ideas or do I have to start from scratch?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You keep them, because it's based on your idea group progress and nothing else.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You keep them, because it's based on your idea group progress and nothing else.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Elotana posted:

I think the northeast island is actually supposed to be Japan (Glorious Zipangri), and the two southeast islands are Java and Timor, since it looks similar to the Waldseemuller map (warning: giant JPG)

Major exports: Samurai Polar Bears.

Elotana posted:

Another dumb question: if I'm up to the fourth Aragon national idea and form Spain, do I get their first four national ideas or do I have to start from scratch?

You retain your progress.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Once someone has learned some of the basic ropes, I feel like a Central America game is actually a pretty educational experience if you want to sharpen your diplomacy and alliance-manipulation skills. You're basically smashing the reset button on the region every time that you reform your religion, and you have to reform your religion 5 times (or more if you encounter a doomsday), and in order to reform your religion you need 5 vassals. It's a real neat balancing act between A) maintaining dominance over the region by keeping more provinces than any of your potential vassals, B) not having too many provinces because then the Doom counter becomes uncontrollable, and C) properly dealing with rivals by navigating the web of alliances that naturally forms. All of this is facilitated with the Flower Wars CB, which is always active, and AE is a non-issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
The best thing is you can declare war even when you're in a regency, so no "gently caress you, 15 years of detention".

• Locked thread