Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Son of Rodney posted:

- I have a comms console but not space traders have contacted me yet. How come?

For some reason the dev reduced the chance of a space trader to silly levels, meaning you're lucky if one turns up per year. Try this mod http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=725465444

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Aleth posted:

Rescuing people doesn't mean they join you (although I believe there is a tiny chance for them to once healed), you have to capture them and convince them to join as you would an attacker.

It's worth noting that people from fallen cargo pods have a very low recruitment difficulty, as well. It's weird that you have to capture them but that's just a quirk of the system I guess. I've never had someone take more than a couple days to recruit.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Prophecy120 posted:

I really wish the game did a better job of explaining the cover mechanics, but alpha and all that so I get it. It took me a few failed colonies to figure out you could make bunkers with granite walls that provide infinitely more protection to your shooters than just stacking them behind sandbags. Also if you put roofs over your bunkers, you get a defense bonus for being in the dark while your enemy is typically in light.

...How do you get your dudes to shoot out?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

GreyjoyBastard posted:

...How do you get your dudes to shoot out?

I'm assuming he is talking about something like this:

code:
GSGSGSGSG
G       G
S       S
GGGGDGGGG
G-Granite Block
S-Sandbag
D-Door

This lets your people hide behind the granite block pillars and also have sandbag defenses when leaning out.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I was playing a Phoebe game with the second easiest difficulty and everyone told me how great Randy was. I had been playing the base for quite a while, switched to Randy, and the next event was a bug infestation that killed everyone. gently caress you, Randy. This was before A14, however.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

those bug infestations are some bullshit, aside from that the game's been great for me so far

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
That is one benefit to the fact that I build my colony outside and not in caves, not as much chance of a bug infestation. I did have one so far, but it was in a narrow mine shaft and I just positioned 3 guys in a more open area at the end, 2 with charge rifles and one with an assault rifle. Just mow the bugs down as they try to get to me.

Sadly that colony ended brutally with a poison ship crashing in the middle of it and spilling out 3 caterpillar things, 2 with inferno launchers who took out my soldiers basically immediately.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

those bug infestations are some bullshit, aside from that the game's been great for me so far

I had an infestation apparently appear inside of some inter-mountain room full of mechanoids or something. I keep getting "megaspider revenge!" popups and clicking on them takes me to an unexplored section of mountain.

I think I will avoid mining there.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Son of Rodney posted:

Propably been answered a million times before, but why do my colonist that I save from drop-pods just randomly walk away even though I have rooms prepared and everything? It once happened to a no-joke lover of one of my originals.

you have to capture them. capturing imprisons them and allows you to convert them. rescuing just heals them and send them on their way. this is a bit rear end backwards for people from space - normally if you capture someone it hurts your standing with their faction, and rescuing someone gives you a boost with that faction. the Spacer faction is just a placeholder for space colonists and have no impact on the game otherwise so you can hurt your relations with Spacers all day long and nobody cares. aside from that though if like some tribals and townsfolk start skirmishing in your town you want to rescue them, not capture them

Son of Rodney posted:

- where can I find a reliable source of components? Can I produce them?

you can mine them, make them, or buy them

Son of Rodney posted:

- I have a comms console but not space traders have contacted me yet. How come?

it takes forever for space traders to come along. way too long imo

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Popular Thug Drink posted:

you can mine them, make them, or buy them

Most bulk traders will have ~20. Otherwise it's a pretty advanced research option to make them (very very slowly) from steel.

I've been using the "Fluffy Breakdowns" mod (on the workshop) lately to make components more bearable. Every component bearing structure has a ticking maintenance meter and if that gets too low the machine breaks down and needs components replaced, but as long as someone gets around to repairing it regularly the components won't need replacing. It gets to be a full time job on larger bases, but it makes the early days of component usage way nicer.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

I turn infestations off in the scenario editor.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Short circuits are dumb bullshit, those should always be turned off.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Until they get turned down a bit, short circuits and infestations are the two I turn off.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Khisanth Magus posted:

I'm assuming he is talking about something like this:

code:
GSGSGSGSG
G       G
S       S
GGGGDGGGG
G-Granite Block
S-Sandbag
D-Door

This lets your people hide behind the granite block pillars and also have sandbag defenses when leaning out.

Exactly. If you start off just making a square of granite with a door your builders will roof it off giving you a defense bonus. Then deconstruct every other block and replace with a sandbag to create 'windows' to fire from. Placing a shooter on the inside *should* give you 3 different defense bonuses, one for the standing cover, one for sandbags and one for darkness.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Prophecy120 posted:

Exactly. If you start off just making a square of granite with a door your builders will roof it off giving you a defense bonus. Then deconstruct every other block and replace with a sandbag to create 'windows' to fire from. Placing a shooter on the inside *should* give you 3 different defense bonuses, one for the standing cover, one for sandbags and one for darkness.

Couldn't you just build it with the sandbags from the start and designate it as roofed?

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Khisanth Magus posted:

Couldn't you just build it with the sandbags from the start and designate it as roofed?

Probably. For whatever reason I've had roofing issues when I first tried it.

Is there any way to get insects to spawn randomly in the world rather than just from infestation spawns? I would like to make a Starship Troopers scenario where my highly combat trained squad with good gear drops into a desert mountainous map filled with hostile bugs.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Prophecy120 posted:

Probably. For whatever reason I've had roofing issues when I first tried it.

Is there any way to get insects to spawn randomly in the world rather than just from infestation spawns? I would like to make a Starship Troopers scenario where my highly combat trained squad with good gear drops into a desert mountainous map filled with hostile bugs.

Not that I know of, probably need to mod it.

Permanent map condition: infestation

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Khisanth Magus posted:

Yeah you don't have to enclose areas to make them roofed any more, you just designate a "Build Roof" area and if it's within 11 tiles of a support then those open tiles will get roofed. A really nice change from previous versions.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Just had a mechanoid event, is it safe to deconstruct all the ancient cryosleep chambers or should I use them for something else?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Dumbass raiders brought in some sappers, decided to blast their way to my base by going through one of those cryptosleep tomb things. Good job guys!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Tinny_Tim posted:

Just had a mechanoid event, is it safe to deconstruct all the ancient cryosleep chambers or should I use them for something else?

Did you Open them? If you already opened them then yes you can just deconstruct them, or hang onto them if you want to stick a problem colonist in one.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Is there any decent way to stagger when turrets fire? It gets kind of annoying when the first pirate in a wave gets utterly obliterated then the rest make it halfway through the kill zone before turrets reload and start splitting up fire.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Eschatos posted:

Is there any decent way to stagger when turrets fire? It gets kind of annoying when the first pirate in a wave gets utterly obliterated then the rest make it halfway through the kill zone before turrets reload and start splitting up fire.

Passively, you can set up the turrets so that only a couple have the exit of the funnel in range. Actively, maybe some kind of elaborate set up with switches and wiring?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rimworld: Make sure to set fun in the restriction's tab.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

MadJackMcJack posted:

For some reason the dev reduced the chance of a space trader to silly levels, meaning you're lucky if one turns up per year. Try this mod http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=725465444

I think the issue is that planet-side traders are treated as the same as orbital traders.

So the rate of traders in general is the same, just with planetside traders taking up slots originally taken by trade ships.

This would be fine if not for things like tribal traders that only want to sell you Pemmican and some animals, and have no steel whatsoever.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

How the gently caress do I prevent cave-ins, considering the game doesn't have Z-levels? I've lost like five miners to them so far.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Drone posted:

How the gently caress do I prevent cave-ins, considering the game doesn't have Z-levels? I've lost like five miners to them so far.

Don't dig enormous rooms out without leaving support pillars?

The maximum span of an unsupported roof is about 11 tiles.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Make sure there is some sort of wall (natural rock or constructed) within 11 tiles of roofed space.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Conot posted:

This would be fine if not for things like tribal traders that only want to sell you Pemmican and some animals, and have no steel whatsoever.

Anger the tribals so they stop coming to trade with you :shrug:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
I got this yesterday and here is my first 2 games for you;

1st game going in totally blind my brave survivors all died in about 1 minute as we dropped in next to what i guess was a robot tomb and the robot was angry.

2nd game everything was coming together nicely, beds were made, floors were swept, horseshoes thrown. A delegation from a nearby village arrived and we traded some meats, then as they were hanging around in the village my pet dog was attacked by a leopard - the shooting began, the delegates were caught in the crossfire and the raiding party they sent burned our homes, our supplies and our corpses.

tips please!!

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Continue to play.

You have already learnt two important Rimworld lessions.

a) Robots be motherfuckers.
b) Combat, particularly involving guns and people not very good with guns, is dangerous.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So does refrigeration do nothing? I built a little hut to use as a food stockpile, then put a cooling unit in there and set the temperature to 1 degree Celsius. Food that I stick in there still says that it's not refrigerated.

Edit: nevermind, I had the cooler built backwards :downs:

Drone fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jul 27, 2016

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Tony Montana posted:

Continue to play.

You have already learnt two important Rimworld lessions.

a) Robots be motherfuckers.
b) Combat, particularly involving guns and people not very good with guns, is dangerous.

Thanks its such a good game, any mods i should get?

Unoriginality
Jan 1, 2008

Drone posted:

So does refrigeration do nothing? I built a little hut to use as a food stockpile, then put a cooling unit in there and set the temperature to 1 degree Celsius. Food that I stick in there still says that it's not refrigerated.

Edit: nevermind, I had the cooler built backwards :downs:

You really want that cooler set to <0 Celsius, I'd aim for at least -20. Cold food goes bad more slowly, frozen food never goes bad, and your colonists don't actually care if their strawberries feel like cold red slugs. The buffer is so that when the inevitable heatwave comes your colony won't starve to death.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Nation posted:

Thanks its such a good game, any mods i should get?

Learn to play vanilla first, then get mods.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Unoriginality posted:

You really want that cooler set to <0 Celsius, I'd aim for at least -20. Cold food goes bad more slowly, frozen food never goes bad, and your colonists don't actually care if their strawberries feel like cold red slugs. The buffer is so that when the inevitable heatwave comes your colony won't starve to death.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a simple system introduced giving a -5 or whatever for frozen food. I guess part of the issue is that the meal just inherits the temperature of the room its in, with no thawing/freezing in between, so theres currently no way to differentiate a meal thats been sat out in the sun and one thats been frozen at -60 for the last 3 years.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Also you can just put multiple coolers right next to each other, if you have to cool that massive walk-in freezer you've built under the mountain.

Something I've done with my latest game is using doors and some wall to make a duct that can be opened. So the the coolers vent outside when it's summer and I can re-direct the hot air back inside for winter (running less heaters).

As for a good starter tip, wood is just fine to start with. Chop that poo poo down and build yourself something nice to crash and eat in. You can make beds and furniture with just wood. Build a good base and you can come back later and replace wooden walls with stone (or tunnel into a mountain and leave it for other purposes).

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

What food do i need to train animals?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nation posted:

Depends what the animal eats, select the animal and click the little [i] button on its info box, that will give you a comprehensive list of every possible stat the animal has, this also works for colonists if you really wanted to see what actually defines your little colonymans.

It will tell you what the animal can eat, generally I would say almost everything eats kibble, most things you would likely want to/be able to train will eat veggies though some things like wolves are carnivores so they need kibble or meat. The genetically modified ultrawolves need raw meat, and won't eat anything else, making them rather impractical to keep unless you have a large and steady supply of meat, or your colony are all cannibals who don't mind butchering the dead. Or you build them a corpse freezer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Nation posted:

make lots and lots of kibble