Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Drunken Baker posted:

SOLD!

Everyone I've spoke to compared it to SUPER 8 of all loving things and I hated that film...

Wat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Drunken Baker posted:

SOLD!

Everyone I've spoke to compared it to SUPER 8 of all loving things and I hated that film...

It's comparable to Super 8 in the same way most Spielberg or King influenced properties are with their picturesque suburban towns that are a little off until some creepy poo poo goes down.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Yardbomb posted:

Umbrella Corps looks like one of those games that could honestly be fun in a dumb way, if it was just a good deal cheaper. If that game were going for :10bux: or something I could see getting it for the novelty.

This right here. UC looks like Yet Another Multiplayer Shooter, but with a Resident Evil skin, and I'm not going to pretend that I don't play an awful lot of Yet Another Multiplayer Shooter.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

VoidBurger posted:

Not a game, but I'd like to recommend the Netflix original series Stranger Things to the thread because it scratched a lot of horror/sci-fi itches for me, personally! It did a lot of Silent Hill things way better than the Silent Hill movie did those things.

this is exciting, i'll check it out, thanks

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Skyscraper posted:

This right here. UC looks like Yet Another Multiplayer Shooter, but with a Resident Evil skin, and I'm not going to pretend that I don't play an awful lot of Yet Another Multiplayer Shooter.

Problem is that you'd want there to be more than a half dozen people playing to have 'fun' with it

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

Problem is that you'd want there to be more than a half dozen people playing to have 'fun' with it

...the internet?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Ahahaha did they really not include an option for bots? I'd really hope that people who make these games would have an idea of how long they'd be populated, and plan accordingly. I was legit shocked to find that Syndicate multiplayer didn't have bots.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Skyscraper posted:

Ahahaha did they really not include an option for bots? I'd really hope that people who make these games would have an idea of how long they'd be populated, and plan accordingly. I was legit shocked to find that Syndicate multiplayer didn't have bots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoYjayrKRDs

its not just syndicate or UC, its a lot of shooters nowadays

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeah, it's really disappointing that practically every modern shooter doesn't include bots. I want to practice the maps in a game that doesn't count where people won't yell at me for sucking so give me loving bots! Going back to Battlefield 2 and I really miss not having AI opponents regardless how dumb they are.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

...the internet?

E:

Skyscraper posted:

God, Syndicate was so loving good, I really wish that it wasn't tethered to Origin and that it got the support that PayDay 2 did.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

E:

God, Syndicate was so loving good, I really wish that it wasn't tethered to Origin and that it got the support that PayDay 2 did.

Oh wow

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

E:

This is a strange question, but do you feel like setting up some kind of goon event to run Syndicate for everyone who bought it but never got to play multiplayer?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Skyscraper posted:

This is a strange question, but do you feel like setting up some kind of goon event to run Syndicate for everyone who bought it but never got to play multiplayer?

I'd be interested

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Are those steam counts usually accurate for multiplayer? That's hilariously awful, it hasn't even been a month.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Stranger Things is what would happen if E.T., The Goonies, The X Files, and Stephen King all rolled around in a kiddie pool together. Which is to say it is refreshingly awesome.

But, not a horror game.

e: That awkward moment you realize you didn't scroll all the way down the page and the derail you replied to is over, but you have nothing relevant to say.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ineffiable posted:

Are those steam counts usually accurate for multiplayer? That's hilariously awful, it hasn't even been a month.

They're pretty good, yeah. IIRC they don't count people who are set to private though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
The first videos made me think that Umbrella Corps could have been fun to watch in little bursts, like a third-person multiplayer shooter version of Bushido Blade. Rounds are over quick because it moves fast and every attack counts. But all the other stuff is designed for a slower game. Why shoot a jammer off someone's back when just shooting them is more effective? If you can hit the jammer, you can almost certainly hit them. And, of course, it just doesn't look like it was well made at all.

I wanted to like Syndicate but I had to muck around to get the mouse feeling anywhere near good and the bloom and glare literally hurt my eyes and you couldn't mess with that.

Also, one episode from the end of Stranger Things, super good. There's not a whole lot of games with that style, right?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Apple Craft posted:

Stranger Things is what would happen if E.T., The Goonies, The X Files, and Stephen King all rolled around in a kiddie pool together. Which is to say it is refreshingly awesome.

But, not a horror game.

e: That awkward moment you realize you didn't scroll all the way down the page and the derail you replied to is over, but you have nothing relevant to say.

I mean with as slow as the thread moves it's a little derail for a cool series. :shrug:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

catlord posted:

The first videos made me think that Umbrella Corps could have been fun to watch in little bursts, like a third-person multiplayer shooter version of Bushido Blade. Rounds are over quick because it moves fast and every attack counts. But all the other stuff is designed for a slower game. Why shoot a jammer off someone's back when just shooting them is more effective? If you can hit the jammer, you can almost certainly hit them. And, of course, it just doesn't look like it was well made at all.

I wanted to like Syndicate but I had to muck around to get the mouse feeling anywhere near good and the bloom and glare literally hurt my eyes and you couldn't mess with that.

Also, one episode from the end of Stranger Things, super good. There's not a whole lot of games with that style, right?

You'd think the market would be ripe for something like the Goonies or King/Straub's The Talisman where it's kids in mundane settings but filtered through a child's eyes everything is inbetween malevolent and harmless.

I've been meaning to check out We Know the Devil, seems like the kind of game I'd enjoy.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

You'd think the market would be ripe for something like the Goonies or King/Straub's The Talisman where it's kids in mundane settings but filtered through a child's eyes everything is inbetween malevolent and harmless.

I've been meaning to check out We Know the Devil, seems like the kind of game I'd enjoy.

It's not scary but it was fun

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Len posted:

I'd be interested

All right, is there already a thread for this kind of thing? Old, dead multiplayer games?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Apple Craft posted:

But, not a horror game.

But it could be. I mean there were a few throw-away lines that would work great for a side story.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

VoidBurger posted:

Not a game, but I'd like to recommend the Netflix original series Stranger Things to the thread because it scratched a lot of horror/sci-fi itches for me, personally! It did a lot of Silent Hill things way better than the Silent Hill movie did those things.
Holy poo poo thanks for this. It really is The Goonies vs Silent Hill (Apparently the show runners even admitted Silent Hill was an influence) and its 80's as gently caress in all the right ways.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 29, 2016

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I watched too thanks to this thread and enjoyed it a lot, thanks !

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Literally never had Netflix before. Just signed up for the show and first episode was not disappointing.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

VoidBurger posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. I hated those SH movies but this sounds great.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

DropsySufferer posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. I hated those SH movies but this sounds great.

It's a lot more Shattered Memories visual wise than anything else*. Just a heads up. Still a great show though.

*And also how the monster pulls itself into our world is reminiscent of the ghosts in RE4 too, I guess.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The first Silent Hill movie is my go-to guilty pleasure horror movie, just because it is so overblown and awful that it rolls back into being great again.

The second one was unmitigated trash though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Stranger Things is cool but I'm seeing more Akira and John Carpenter than SH as of episode 2 at least

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The music is a treat too

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sakurazuka posted:

Stranger Things is cool but I'm seeing more Akira and John Carpenter than SH as of episode 2 at least

You'll understand the comparisons soon enough.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Sakurazuka posted:

Those too are 80s as gently caress so its just par for the course.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Stranger Things is an TV adaptation of a lost Stephen King novel from the early 80's.

Also, it's really loving good.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've heard nothing but good things about that show. I was going to watch it yesterday since I called off because I couldn't stop throwing up but Theraflu is a helluva drug and I ended up in a coma for 12 hours.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Spoilers for the show if you play the video.

https://twitter.com/ParadigmGame/status/758381357726785536

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Has anyone in here played We Happy Few? I'm seeing it advertised as a survival horror. Any good?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

BlackFrost posted:

Has anyone in here played We Happy Few? I'm seeing it advertised as a survival horror. Any good?

More survival (food, drink, sleep) and less horror (as in basically none). It was advertised in trailers more as like a bio-shocky experience and it isn't that, that's for sure and people are being vocal about it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

BlackFrost posted:

There's a lot of promise but I wouldn't recommend getting into it yet. It's a survival game, I'd call it a combination of Sir You're Being Hunted and Don't Starve where you're trying to accomplish a goal in different biomes while monitoring your health, thirst, and fatigue. Collect resources, build gadgets, avoid or blend in with enemies. But there's not a lot of content and at this point I can't call it a very strong survival game when Hunted or Don't Starve are complete. And it's not really horrifying, just weird and off in the way BioShock is but more Infinite style than the grunge of the Rapture.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I'd say the most horror is what's implied by some of the lore you come across and realize how just few the happy are, so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
so i just beat until dawn. if i want to go back and save everyone, do i just need to redo the episodes with real death flags, then the final episode for the trophy?