Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ultramega posted:

In that it's meant to instill a sense of tension and a sort of x-factor into a match even when one player is dominating? I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually pulled one off but it's possible to incorporate one into a combo. Personally I think they're stupid and gimmicky but it's still one of the things that makes GG its own distinct thing and not another KoF/SFII clone.
if they ever add a.b.a instant kills are kind of necessary for her gimmick to be as punishing as it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Ultramega posted:

In that it's meant to instill a sense of tension and a sort of x-factor into a match even when one player is dominating? I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually pulled one off but it's possible to incorporate one into a combo. Personally I think they're stupid and gimmicky but it's still one of the things that makes GG its own distinct thing and not another KoF/SFII clone.

I think theyre just meant to be cool tbh

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I have literally never seen someone ever hit a comeback instant kill. 99% of the time they're a novelty used for humiliating people when you would have killed them fine with normal moves any ways because you had a huge advantage over them.

ZWZ
May 6, 2007

Homerun
Instant kills are cool because they can add a long cutscene super that looks neat that doesn't disrupt gameplay since they are rare in actual matches.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
iks in xrd are cool because you can access the chat during them and talk poo poo while the cutscene goes

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
From an aesthetic standpoint IKs are great because they allow for additional characterization. :buddy:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ultramega posted:

The only way to combo into IK is if the opponent is already at 20% or less health at the point the combo starts, or they reach 10% health mid-combo. It's not a comeback mechanic, it's a showy finisher whose only real application is for certain characters who don't have combos that can reliably take that much life from the opponent for the amount of tension they have (which must be more than 50% and in most cases has to be 100%). "Comeback" raw IKs are not a factor at anything beyond absolute beginner levels of play.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Endorph posted:

i don't have balls

Well that doesn't really impact the state of mine but it's always nice to know the status of everyone else's balls, maybe melty is the game for you

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
bananaken played that character in persona that used instant kills like at least semi regularly. the robot girl with the puppet demon

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
IKs look neat and id rather have the long flashy thing be on something impractical and flashy from a gameplay standpoint as well

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I wish IKs were as strong in GG as they are in Hokuto no Ken, greatest game

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Smoking Crow posted:

I wish IKs were as strong in GG as they are in Hokuto no Ken, greatest game

every hit confirm in HnK is an instant kill i think.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

attackmole posted:

instant is hardly the word to use

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

dangerdoom volvo posted:

bananaken played that character in persona that used instant kills like at least semi regularly. the robot girl with the puppet demon

I was talking in the context of GG since that's the context the guy was using and I don't have any experience with BB etc anyway

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Instant kills were always a go to against less experienced sol and aba players since they suffer a short stun period after their respective super modes end. Basically a guaranteed win off a well timed knockdown/burst/dead angle. Though any sol player worth a drat won't get caught with dragon install and aba players should know better than to let their meter drain all the way at all.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
P4U had a few characters whose gimmicks were entirely based around instant kills by fulfilling some kind of requirement. Shadow Lab could combo into her IK but as far as I know it required you to activate in neutral beforehand, which used 100SP (100% of meter normally, 2/3 in Awakening), had a limited time frame, and could only be done on the last round. Once activated she had to hit you again and use One More Burst (using burst to extend combo) to actually combo into it.

That game and the updates were busted as hell though and that was very low on the list.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

In the older ggs ik activation times and startup/hitboxes were way less uniform than they are now so hardly any characters could realistically go for an ik even on an Aba with no burst who was out of blood

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Ryoga posted:

Instant kills were always a go to against less experienced sol and aba players since they suffer a short stun period after their respective super modes end. Basically a guaranteed win off a well timed knockdown/burst/dead angle. Though any sol player worth a drat won't get caught with dragon install and aba players should know better than to let their meter drain all the way at all.

ky v sol and IKing after a meterless blocked grand viper too

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

AnonSpore posted:

In the older ggs ik activation times and startup/hitboxes were way less uniform than they are now so hardly any characters could realistically go for an ik even on an Aba with no burst who was out of blood

loving lol at anyone who ever got caught by Chipp's IK

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ryoga posted:

loving lol at anyone who ever got caught by Chipp's IK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiC9XU3j2iQ

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I did Chipp's IK on my little brother once in #Reload. He never played me in a fighting game again.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I did Chipp's IK on my little brother once in #Reload. He never played me in a fighting game again.

Way back in the day I had a friend who had the original GG and we'd play it every now and then and i swear every single round we played he would attempt an IK. Dude never told me how to execute one either, he'd just rip one off and we'd start another round. Definitely kept me from wanting to play any GG's for a really long time which is a shame because it owns.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Ultramega posted:

Way back in the day I had a friend who had the original GG and we'd play it every now and then and i swear every single round we played he would attempt an IK. Dude never told me how to execute one either, he'd just rip one off and we'd start another round. Definitely kept me from wanting to play any GG's for a really long time which is a shame because it owns.

yeah the input for IK was like a quarter circle and two buttons and you could do them indefinitely and the only way to get out of one was to do it yourself or something nuts

GG was not... a very good game

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

IKs were the least of GG1's problems. My personal favorite is fullscreen 50% from a DI VV but there's just so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP79wXWV0cM

Of course that's an extreme example but still.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

https://twitter.com/jiyunaJP/status/758076393527705600

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 27, 2016

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

What's a Jim and why is the fgc being infected with fake rear end marks and hoolie hoos

Edit: oh he was being ironic and you edited in the rest of them, I agree with jiyuna

brian fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 27, 2016

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i thought that was the sf omni at first and was like ??????

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The generally friendly atmosphere at events and encouraging everyone to try to get in sets with anyone is honestly my favorite thing about the FGC. It directly builds talent, and helps spread knowledge of the little things..Finding out that Smash has a contingent of people that reject it is actually upsetting to me.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 27, 2016

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

as much as I enjoy making fun of smash players most of the flak that the community's been getting seems to be coming from the extremely vocal minority

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mintergalactic posted:

as much as I enjoy making fun of smash players most of the flak that the community's been getting seems to be coming from the extremely vocal minority

it might help if a lot of their high profile people weren't consistently part of it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

loving owned.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Shadow Labrys was cool. I like P4A a lot, but it's probably because it was my first FG I ever cared about

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rise's nonstop full screen projectile BS was really fun in P4U

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
in smash lingo, i am a jeremiah

that means i dont give a loving poo poo about it

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

attackmole posted:

Every hit confirm in HnK is a long, slow death.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

it's really jarring going from nothing but gg and kof for the past 3 months back to sfv

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://twitter.com/HellPockets/status/758085377877876736

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

i attend smash events on the reg and am in a bunch of smash fb groups and ive never heard any of this

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Countblanc posted:

i attend smash events on the reg and am in a bunch of smash fb groups and ive never heard any of this

Trap sprung

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i have been very honest about my shame