Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In non-personal BWM: this guy bought over 13,000 shares of Garnero Group right before the company violated the terms of a merger, went bankrupt, and cancelled its stock plan. The total value of the 13,055 shares? $0.00 USD. The guy had no idea what was going on and just heard recently that it "looks like their not a business anymore" and doesn't know what to do.

I'm confused on this one. The yahoo finance article says the stock will be liquidated at $10.05/share. Google finance has closing price at the same value. Also odd - that value seems to be the highest the stock ever achieved.

So why is it worth nothing? Is it likely the company won't honor the shares in the long run?

The whole thing sounds dodgy - 'Cayman Islands' you say? Just not getting how this leads to a lucrative liquidation as opposed to pennies on the dollar in a typical bankruptcy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

hanales posted:

Since we talk about uni a lot in this thread, is private k-12 bwm, anyone here been through that system either as child or parent? Public schools in my area are suffering so we are considering for our son. To be clear, no loans would be involved but it's money I obviously wouldn't be putting to 401K or anything.

Volmarias posted:

It really depends on your local public schools, and how well you can afford it.

They play by somewhat different rules, administration wise, which is a double edged sword. For example, no teachers union backed tenure means that teachers can actually be fired, so you don't have teachers who basically no longer care and just hand out busy work, but it also means that crazy parents can take out effective teachers too. They're also not quite so crazy about liability, since it's likely that no one going there is going to bring about a frivolous lawsuit purely for financial reasons (but they might bring one for crazy narcissistic parent reasons!)

I'll say as someone that went to both public and private school that I never had a study hall class (which wasn't actually "study hall") in a private school, whereas I had a couple of classes in public high school where the teacher literally did nothing except for the one day that the state teaching assessor was there. That was the exception rather than the rule, but it did happen.

If you're able to afford it without breaking a financial sweat, do it. If you have really lovely public schools in your area, strongly consider it.
Quotin' dis for my experience.

I was in a private parochial school all the way through high school, and it was a positive for me. I grew up in a rural area, and while the county high school wasn't terrible it definitely wasn't right for me. Smaller classes and uniforms did a good job of sheltering me long enough to develop, otherwise I know I would have not functioned as well. In my school, you generally got teachers that cared more for having control over their classroom and motivated by love of teaching than a higher paycheck, or else because of the religion aspect. I can remember only one teacher that was outright horrendous in all my time there, and she was earnest but incompetent in the position she was thrust into. There were maybe ten instructors that should probably have considered a different career, but there was enough support that a motivated student could still learn somewhat - I was relatively sucky at chemistry because of one of these teachers. I sacrificed one period a day per class year on religion, but the instruction I received by my other dedicated teachers made up for it; I effectively skipped the first year of college because of my AP and standardized test scores, especially because of one extremely effective calculus teacher. The school also had us take the ASVAB (the military's entrance exam) and encouraged vocational school. The biggest disadvantage was a lack of resources for advanced classes - we didn't have a shop class so vocational students had to leave separate, which meant high-scorers couldn't take both AP and voca, our chemistry and computer labs were sub-par, we didn't go to as many competitions or have as many extra curriculars for non-sports as public schools, and for the longest time didn't even have a football team.

That said: you definitely want to be very, very careful with private schools though. Some are just expensive and aren't any better than their public counterpart; some are expensive and provide worse outcomes than a regular public school education; some are expensive and are just tools for indoctrination by a particular religion or worldview. My parents did a lot of research before sending me and my sibling there, and it worked out very well for us. Despite being religious they were all about modern science, evolution, and such. The drawbacks were active proselytizing on abortion and abstinence and a lackluster sex ed.

One other thing: you'll have to deal with the guilt of possibly contributing to the decline of public schools, because you're depriving the public school of an involved parent that would fight for improvements, thereby leaving the kids with parents that are too buzy/disengaged to fight for themselves without an advocate.

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 26, 2016

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Many of my peers in college came from private schools along the Mainline/Philly suburbs and places like BB&N and Groton. I came from "one of the best" public schools in my state. For what it's worth, I'll say the college learning curve/work transition seemed easier for my friends who were used to the higher workload they experienced in their prep schools, whereas I was used to doing well in high school with minimal work. I'm not sure how big of a difference it made in the end, but promoting a strong work ethic can't be a bad thing. I'll do my best to do it for my kids.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Agreed, but after looking into it in some detail, it seems that all the local lots in the area have a comparable lot rent to just outright renting a house. I still don't get it.

In non-personal BWM: this guy bought over 13,000 shares of Garnero Group right before the company violated the terms of a merger, went bankrupt, and cancelled its stock plan. The total value of the 13,055 shares? $0.00 USD. The guy had no idea what was going on and just heard recently that it "looks like their not a business anymore" and doesn't know what to do.

I have a story.

I have a friend who let the boyfriend of the woman he was in love with talk him into buying some bullshit stock. The company was Triangle (Multi?) Media, and they were supposedly a gay- and lesbian-oriented television programming company. My friend was super lucky, because he got in just before Triangle Media was about to blow up. There were press releases and everything. I'm not sure what went wrong, but somehow Triangle Media's share price didn't rocket through the roof and make my friend wealthy. In fact, when I guided him to have a look at Yahoo Finance, the five-year trading volume/price for Triangle was 0-0-0-0-0-0-0-HUGE SPIKE WHERE MY IDIOT FRIEND BOUGHT A TON OF SHARES-0-0-0-0-0-0.

This is the same friend with the dachshund purses, in case you're also reading the /r/relationships thread.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Parochial schools usually cost less than lay private schools, at least here in the northeast. Also, some parochial schools are way more into the religion thing than others. I went to a pretty low-key, Jesuit run school for K-12. My mom started me there because they had full day kindergarten and she had to work. The primary focus was academics and arts. We had one period a day of religion, and had mass on holy days of obligation that you had to at least sit through, but they never pressured the students to 'act religious'. We also had comprehensive sex ed and they never really touched abortion.

The biggest plus is almost every teacher was really into teaching, looking back I only really have two instructors that were actively crappy.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Many of my peers in college came from private schools along the Mainline/Philly suburbs and places like BB&N and Groton. I came from "one of the best" public schools in my state. For what it's worth, I'll say the college learning curve/work transition seemed easier for my friends who were used to the higher workload they experienced in their prep schools, whereas I was used to doing well in high school with minimal work. I'm not sure how big of a difference it made in the end, but promoting a strong work ethic can't be a bad thing. I'll do my best to do it for my kids.

Hmm, I went to public, private and Catholic school from middle school through high school, and by far the lowest workload was the private school, but the quality of the work seemed higher. The public school I went to was well regarded and the teachers seemed to care, but most of the work was worthless and time consuming. My private school seemed to be about quality over quantity, and I think that has paid large dividends through college and now my career.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

pig slut lisa posted:

A friend experiences the joys of family:

quote:

My mom quit her job because she's been working there for 5 years and hasn't gotten a raise and because she works for a university and the state's budget for schools is getting cut so she won't be getting a raise this year either.

This is a legitimate thing to be upset about.

However she has two pregnant daughters who live with her, no savings, and no new job lined up.

She told me last month she's going to the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia, even though she doesn't have enough money for gas to get there and back, because she thinks Bernie is going to pull a coup with delegates and it's going to be "a turning point in history." As for the gas, she's just going to figure it out as she goes along. "It'll work out."

She still intends to go now that she's quit her job.

:eyepop:

Update from this friend:

quote:

You know what's funny is my mom is selling all her worldly possessions to go to the DNC, but she got distracted and hung out in the Smokey Mountains all day and is missing all the progressive speakers she loves today.

:smith:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Surely she'll get handouts from that party's convention, won't she?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Centripetal Horse posted:

I have a story.

I have a friend who let the boyfriend of the woman he was in love with talk him into buying some bullshit stock. The company was Triangle (Multi?) Media, and they were supposedly a gay- and lesbian-oriented television programming company. My friend was super lucky, because he got in just before Triangle Media was about to blow up. There were press releases and everything. I'm not sure what went wrong, but somehow Triangle Media's share price didn't rocket through the roof and make my friend wealthy. In fact, when I guided him to have a look at Yahoo Finance, the five-year trading volume/price for Triangle was 0-0-0-0-0-0-0-HUGE SPIKE WHERE MY IDIOT FRIEND BOUGHT A TON OF SHARES-0-0-0-0-0-0.

This is the same friend with the dachshund purses, in case you're also reading the /r/relationships thread.

Sounds like someone fell for a pump n dump

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Aagar posted:

I'm confused on this one. The yahoo finance article says the stock will be liquidated at $10.05/share. Google finance has closing price at the same value. Also odd - that value seems to be the highest the stock ever achieved.

So why is it worth nothing? Is it likely the company won't honor the shares in the long run?

The whole thing sounds dodgy - 'Cayman Islands' you say? Just not getting how this leads to a lucrative liquidation as opposed to pennies on the dollar in a typical bankruptcy.

He actually had warrants, not shares, so he's hosed. GGAC has cash to liquidate because those are the funds that were supposed to be used to complete the merger.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
That is so odd. It looks like some kind of temporary incorporation in anticipation of a merger. But what's the advantage to investing in that? Like, if the merger went through would his warrants turn into something more valuable? I'm not seeing enough of an upshot to compensate for the risk. Even a bad stock investment doesn't generally lose all value.

And $130k!?!

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

Trillian posted:

He actually had warrants, not shares, so he's hosed. GGAC has cash to liquidate because those are the funds that were supposed to be used to complete the merger.

Ahhhh... just when I think I know everything about investing. I had no idea what warrants were (basically options offered by the company). So yeah, he's screwed. The question is why would he buy them without having any idea what they were? (rhetorical - BWM people being BWM)

Krispy Kareem posted:

That is so odd. It looks like some kind of temporary incorporation in anticipation of a merger. But what's the advantage to investing in that? Like, if the merger went through would his warrants turn into something more valuable? I'm not seeing enough of an upshot to compensate for the risk. Even a bad stock investment doesn't generally lose all value.

And $130k!?!

Looking deeper, he may have accidentally stumbled into GWM territory. The quote for GGACW for the last three months has been $0.05. So I'm assuming he bought 13,000 options for $650. If the deal had gone through, I'm guessing he would have had the option to buy in the $9-10 range and sell at whatever price it went up to (other goons with more experience with options can correct me, the only thing I know about options is reading the Stock Trading thread). Of course that depends on the odds of the deal going through, which I have no idea how to assess from information available.

In any case, I think he's only out the $650 he paid for those options, and not $130K.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Redditor buys a new house, but wants to sell it two days later because he can only get 1.5 mbps download on his internet service.

Reddit posted:

Bought a house but absolutely HATE it...need advice on selling

Last friday I made a very large mistake. I had found a house I wished to purchase and it seemed like a dream home (i'm in my mid 20s and this was my first house). Long story short, the closing was friday. By Sunday I had found out that the internet availability to the house was limited (was told by windstream it was eligible for high speed internet. once i tried to purchase internet service, i found the only thing offered at the house is "broadbandlite" due to the age of the phone lines going to the house). this is a major problem for me because of my job (i often work from home and a high speed internet connection is a necessity). it is also a problem because of how much i enjoy streaming netflix and youtube. in my off time i love to play xbox and playstation online. I can't do any of these things without high speed internet available to the house. I'm also finding out there will be excessively more upkeep to the place than i had originally anticipated. Yes, I screwed up majorly and I know it. My question to you guys is what would be the best way for me to go about cutting my losses? My parents support me (emotionally, not financially) and they said its fine for me to continue living at home (i never moved out - i found out all these problems as i was moving in). The house was rather expensive (came with quite a bit of land) and it was paid with approximately 75% cash (right now i have a loan for the remainder - i was going to roll into a mortgage but not sure if i should now or just sell and pay off).
I know I will be taking a hit on this and it is completely my mistake. The house is gorgeous but it does not completely fit my needs. Should i sit on the house and wait to sell? Or should I take the best offer that comes within the next few months?
If you need any more information, please ask. Right now I'm at my wits end and have been having anxiety attacks over the whole ordeal. I feel like such a fool for not having extensively researched everything about the place.

Selling a house rather than settling for 1.5 mbps d/l or a data cap on a mobile hotspot plan is awesome and totally something I imagine a goon doing.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Trillian posted:

Selling a house rather than settling for 1.5 mbps d/l or a data cap on a mobile hotspot plan is awesome and totally something I imagine a goon doing.

Nice crosspost, u/Killageist, but you'll find no answers or sympathy here! :v:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Trillian posted:

Redditor buys a new house, but wants to sell it two days later because he can only get 1.5 mbps download on his internet service.

Great find, bravo

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

redditor posted:

My parents support me (emotionally, not financially) and they said its fine for me to continue living at home

beep boop does not compute

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Kind of reminds me of the previous tenant of my apartment.

His parents found him this apartment as a college graduation gift. They furnished it with everything but furniture, then he just never bothered moving in. Guy would show up every month, pay the landlord, say "Yeah I'm totally moving in this month," then would stay at home with his parents.

After about six months of this, he told my landlord that his parents were buying a new house and giving him their old one. He didn't even bother emptying the place out. Good for me, I got a free kitchen/bathroom set out of the deal, along with a whole bunch of other basic necessities that helped remove a lot of stress out of moving.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Trillian posted:

I like how maybe playing fewer video games or streaming less isn't an option with the hotspot. Apparently neither is having some trees cut down

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Dude does say he needs it for work. When I work remotely and dial into the VPN I use a few gigs of data in a day (and need it to be fast)

Guy should become an amateur radio operator and build a 100 foot antenna mast. Let Windstream connect to that :v:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
*makes mental note to verify precise broadband availability in any home purchase*

uhh yeah that guy sure is a dumb nerd haha

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Any house that can't get high speed internet is going to have a lot less appeal to most people. It's basically a legit utility at this point that everyone should have.

That said maybe he can get them to install better lines? I don't know how expensive that would be (probably way too much for one person to pay), or if they'd even agree to it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

the littlest prince posted:

That said maybe he can get them to install better lines? I don't know how expensive that would be (probably way too much for one person to pay), or if they'd even agree to it.
Comments cover it. The ISP won't do it.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Something like that happened before. Do never buy.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/11/one-mans-failed-quest-to-buy-wired-internet-from-twc-or-verizon/

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

*makes mental note to verify precise broadband availability in any home purchase*

uhh yeah that guy sure is a dumb nerd haha

I feel bad for the guy but if it's a requirement for your livelihood and you're buying a place on 90 acres in the middle of nowhere, maybe do a little research ahead of time?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Barry posted:

I feel bad for the guy but if it's a requirement for your livelihood and you're buying a place on 90 acres in the middle of nowhere, maybe do a little research ahead of time?
It sounds like he did some amount - he "was told by windstream it was eligible for high speed internet.", which to me at least indicates that he attempted to figure it out.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I just spent a week with in-laws in the middle of nowhere using 1.5mbs DSL. The maximum theoretically speeds are lousy, but you never get those because there are no ideal wiring conditions in the country. So it's more like 768k but with packets dropping all over the place.

The guy deserves to be mocked, but at the same time that loving sucks.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Back when we had our 14.4 kbps modem, yes I certainly would've considered 1.5 Mbps to be very high speed. It's not like "HDTV", which has an actual verifiable metric of 720p resolution behind it. Now maybe Windstream hire me for PR work.

Side note: I'm assuming this Windstream is different from the RV and trailer company, or else this story just got way funnier.

Edit: oh, I'm thinking of Airstream

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 27, 2016

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

I wonder if getting hooked up would do much of anything for his house's value. At least it might if people actually bothered to research local broadband service before moving in. In this day and age, it's certainly important enough that by all logic, it ought to be part of the standard checklist recommended for house shopping.

Nail Rat posted:

I like how maybe playing fewer video games or streaming less isn't an option with the hotspot. Apparently neither is having some trees cut down

I think you're underestimating how severely an average mobile data cap can limit desktop PC activities. Even routine software updates can add up to quite a bit. Plus it's not like there's all that much else to do with one's free time in the kind of area we're talking about.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is satellite Internet still a thing?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah, HughesNet advertises to olds on Fox News all the time.

I lived in a place like that for about six months and took the cellular option. 20gb goes FAST. And isn't cheap.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The podcast Spent had an interesting episode about a guy who lucked into making a quarter of a million on a real estate deal during the mid-2000s boom, and his subsequent BWM decisions that find him in his mid-30s as a NYC dog walker.

This guy is like BWM bingo:
-Bought impractical car, sold back to dealer for a loss
-literally hiding from debt collectors
-Bottle service in Dubai?!

And plenty more, well worth a listen: http://spent.libsyn.com/andrew-collin-how-to-lose-a-quarter-of-a-million

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

It is, but latency is an issue.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

My parents don't support me financially.

*Is a millenial that paid 75% cash for an expensive house*

Right.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm on satellite internet right now, about 100nm offshore. This is definitely the fastest, best internet I've ever had offshore. IT SUCKS. Things over a few MB are pretty off-limits. Not sure if land-based satellite internet is different but I would think it's the same.

Speedtest says my download speed is 0.17Mbps, upload 0.27Mbps, 893ms ping. So that is what satellite internet gets you these days.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I once got trained by this Engineer who worked for every major vendor to ISPs designing equipment to make the internet work since the 80s.

I found it ironic that he lives on a farmhouse in Georgia with no High Speed internet access, even though he has a basement full of hardware needed to run his own lines to the ISP.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Switchback posted:

I'm on satellite internet right now, about 100nm offshore. This is definitely the fastest, best internet I've ever had offshore. IT SUCKS. Things over a few MB are pretty off-limits. Not sure if land-based satellite internet is different but I would think it's the same.

Speedtest says my download speed is 0.17Mbps, upload 0.27Mbps, 893ms ping. So that is what satellite internet gets you these days.

I assume you're on a boat? I assume the waveforms/protocol used for a satellite modem designed for use on a boat are going to be slower than those used for a satellite modem designed for use at a fixed location because the non-mobile modem won't have to account for the antenna moving.

Also I seem to remember that in the past (this might be like 10-15 years ago, not sure if it's still true), for land-based, fixed satellite modems, you'd use dial-up for upload. I guess that would give you worse than 0.27Mbps though, but it might give you a better ping.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
No, that's about right for land-based consumer satellite internet too.

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012

Switchback posted:

I had satellite internet when I lived in a trailer in the woods. The speed was just fine, although there was a ping issue for video games. The real burden was the limited data. My provider had a free-for-all between midnight and 5am though, so I just scheduled my downloads for then.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Mojo Threepwood posted:

The podcast Spent had an interesting episode about a guy who lucked into making a quarter of a million on a real estate deal during the mid-2000s boom, and his subsequent BWM decisions that find him in his mid-30s as a NYC dog walker.

This guy is like BWM bingo:
-Bought impractical car, sold back to dealer for a loss
-literally hiding from debt collectors
-Bottle service in Dubai?!

And plenty more, well worth a listen: http://spent.libsyn.com/andrew-collin-how-to-lose-a-quarter-of-a-million

To some people, 6 figures == unlimited money. Too bad there are entire industries dedicated to sucking out windfalls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Not a Children posted:

To some people, 6 figures == unlimited money. Too bad there are entire industries dedicated to sucking out windfalls.

I was just thinking that to myself, ok the guy made $150,000 after taxes, so loving what? Of course it was all gone in ten years because that's like the same amount of money as working for minimum wage for ten years.

• Locked thread