Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My app version is (under About in Settings):
Which orientation do you generally use?
Landscape
If you use landscape, which layout do you prefer?
I think the way the landscape layout works best on my tablet (since 90% of my usage is landscape), and portrait layout works best on the phone.

TABLET LAYOUT:
Do you like threads opening fullscreen in landscape, or would you prefer to keep the thread/forum list on the side?
The way it works now is fine: forum list slides away when I click on a thread.
Do you like swiping around, like in the phone layout?
I have no opinion on it, and don't think I've used it outside of accidentally hitting back one too many times.
What do you like about the tablet layout?
I use my tablet mostly in landscape, so I like that it's in landscape.

And what's bad / stops you from using it?
The fact that, to this day, the "imgur images break and requires multiple reloads to get it to show" exists, has not been resolved, and no ability to tell the app to reload just the image.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
This app is really good.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

portrait

If you use portrait, which layout do you prefer to use?

phone. I have a nvidia shield which is 16:9, so landscape doesn't give enough vertical space, and in portrait the sidebar of tablet mode takes up too much space, making the thread view very skinny.

When using a 4:3 tablet like my old Touchpad I preferred landscape with the side forum view.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

SystemLogoff posted:

This has been an unorganized thoughts post, sorry about that.

That's cool, the feedback's what I'm after really!

Thanks for the responses so far - and nah tablet layout isn't going away, but hopefully we can make it a bit better while fixing some of its issues. Knowing how people use it helps with the design decisions and all that

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Yeah that's on the to-do list

:frogsiren: EXCITING SURVEY TIME :frogsiren:

Hi friends! Do you use a tablet (or something that can handle the tablet layout) with this fine application?
Can you spare a minute to give us your thoughts and/or reckons?

(phone layout means the single-screen view, tablet layout is the one where you can have the forum/thread list next to something else.
Settings > Device and Navigation > Thread Layout if this is news!)

3.2.3.2, I use the latest version on Google Play
portrait unless I'm looking at a wide picture or using a tablet stand
phone on the phone, tablet on the tablet
phone

TABLET LAYOUT:
Do you like threads opening fullscreen in landscape, or would you prefer to keep the thread/forum list on the side?
fullscreen
I hate it everywhere
Having the bookmark list on the side saves a tap when I want to switch threads.
I don't use it on the phone because the screen is too small. Honestly I'd use the phone layout happily on the tablet, I just went with the defaults.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
landscape on my tablet, phone on my phone
phone
tablet

TABLET LAYOUT:
I prefer it defaults to fullscreen
i like swiping from the left to get the thread list and list of subforums but sometimes it seems to open the settings menu instead
it just works
I could swear I was unable to swipe back into a thread when browsing to other subforums not long ago but it seems to work now. When I telly it to play gifs etc it makes it a new one just below wher ethe first one is, seems
[/quote]

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Dear Android friends:

It warms my heart to see a survey being done and gathering group feedback. It hurts inside when a single edge case posts a thought and the app gets changed for the worse because of it.

Your pal,
Dave

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

The Dave posted:

Dear Android friends:

It warms my heart to see a survey being done and gathering group feedback. It hurts inside when a single edge case posts a thought and the app gets changed for the worse because of it.

Your pal,
Dave

Yup, this. Reminds me of when I started the app a few years back and one guy was insisting that it should be laid out like a Windows Mobile 6 app. Fortunately the rest of the thread shut him down so I didn't have to.

baka kaba posted:

Latest
portrait/landscape/both
Portrait
Portrait for both but on my Pixel C I use landscape when the keyboard is attached
Tablet when it's setup like a laptop

TABLET LAYOUT:
Keep it on the side for 10" tablets
it's great
The split views
Nothing

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
What was the last version of the app that supported Gingerbread? I'm messing around with my old Nexus One and having Awful on it would be convenient.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

pairofdimes posted:

What was the last version of the app that supported Gingerbread? I'm messing around with my old Nexus One and having Awful on it would be convenient.

You don't run Ice Cream Sandwich on that sucker? :v:

E: Yeah, I was just kidding. From memory, repartitioning is actually the least painful part of the overall experience.
vvvv

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 4, 2016

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Mogomra posted:

You don't run Ice Cream Sandwich on that sucker? :v:

I thought about it, but as soon as I saw I would need to repartition the filesystem I decided that was more effort than I was willing to put in.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

baka kaba posted:

portrait

Tablet. I use a Nexus 10, so plenty of space to have the bookmarks on the side, and it's a tiny bit faster always having those there, or the thread list for a subforum, than swiping back in phone layout.

In the like two times ever that I've used it in landscape, I kept it in tablet layout

TABLET LAYOUT:
I like next to the list. It wouldn't really bother me either way though, because ->

Swiping around is totally good, in either layout.

Makes at least a tiny bit of use of all the dumb space on my dumb tablet.

As with many apps, I'm not sure a thread list is the best use of space, but I couldn't tell you what would be a better use. One thing I'd definitely like, at least on tablets, is when you're composing a reply, to have that be a card to the right. That is, you hit reply, current thread slides to the left so it is still visible, and your reply text box is visible. Besides that, I can't think of any very useful uses of tablet space.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

pairofdimes posted:

3.1.2b (rev 106)

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Sereri posted:

3.1.2b (rev 106)

Thanks. I don't think I could go back to a phone this small, but I do still miss the sweet trackball/notification LED.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Did that version have the pull to refresh frog?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

RVProfootballer posted:

As with many apps, I'm not sure a thread list is the best use of space, but I couldn't tell you what would be a better use. One thing I'd definitely like, at least on tablets, is when you're composing a reply, to have that be a card to the right. That is, you hit reply, current thread slides to the left so it is still visible, and your reply text box is visible. Besides that, I can't think of any very useful uses of tablet space.

Even if there's no chance of previewing posts like on desktop, being able to slide over and refresh the thread to see if anyone's beaten me to it (or just to double check something upthread) without having to quit out of the post window would be super, since right now doing that makes it really easy to lose your post if you fat finger the keep/ignore dialog when you go back in.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The app reloads the current page every time my magnetic charger connects or disconnects, does this happen to anybody else?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
The app shows a little 'null' in the user bar for ignored users when expanded, as seen below:

Not exactly a high priority item, but.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I only use my phone, or I'd do the survey. I love this app, it accounts for 95% of my something awful dot com viewing. Thanks so much for having programmed and maintaining it!

One question, I can't seem to view embedded videos. They show up, with the time bar on the bottom, and the first frame of the video with the play button over it. When I click play, I can see the time elapsing, but no video plays. Am I an idiot who needs to adjust some setting or is something wrong?

E: I've tried with "embed video" and "embed vines" off and on and it doesn't seem to help, not quite sure where else to go in setings to make them work. Thanks again.

om nom nom fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 1, 2016

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Cant log in on the app currently. Something is wrong with SA's secure login it looks like. Is there a way to get Awful to not log in using HTTPS?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The forums were having some sort of SSL certificate error which seems to be fixed now.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
^^^^^^ Did this happen multiple times in the last week or so? Could just be poo poo timing if thats the case.

I get issues randomly with this app not loading new data. Refreshing, closing app, clearing cache... nothing works. Every other app works fine.

Restart my phone and it works immediately.

Galaxy s5. I dont even know a way to send a bug report about this.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Cant log in on the app currently. Something is wrong with SA's secure login it looks like. Is there a way to get Awful to not log in using HTTPS?

yeah good idea :nsa:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

spankmeister posted:

yeah good idea :nsa:

They're probably already all over here due to lf and gip posting unwisely at times.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I just saw that you can now enter the beta right from the play store app.

Consider doing that if you have an old/ weird device or want shiny new things as soon as possible even they crash once in a while :shepface:

Sereri fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 15, 2016

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

hooah posted:

The forums were having some sort of SSL certificate error which seems to be fixed now.

still happening, if "Login Failed!" is the response from the app during this issue. any workarounds?

edit: clearing data and cache fixed it

esto es malo fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 23, 2016

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
How do I post a new thread using the android app?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

lite_sleepr posted:

Home button
Open Chrome
Browse to "forums.somethingawful.com"

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

lite_sleepr posted:

You need to activate the special mode for this. It's actually a hardware switch, you'll need to pierce your phone's battery with a screwdriver then you should be all set.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Pierce your neck with a screwdriver, stupid!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lite_sleepr posted:

Pierce your neck with a screwdriver, stupid!

You can't create threads in this app. The original developer of the app didn't believe you could create in-depth, well-researched OPs on a phone. Subsequent developers have had more pressing demands to address. If you have the relevant skills and would like to add it, contact the current dev team for access and start coding.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
A good point, but this is SA, and well, in depth well researched OPs haven't been a thing since I don't know when.

:iceburn:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lite_sleepr posted:

A good point, but this is SA, and well, in depth well researched OPs haven't been a thing since I don't know when.

:iceburn:

The character of the forums have certainly changed since the app began development and this is a recognized shortcoming in the app.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Midjack posted:

You can't create threads in this app. The original developer of the app didn't believe you could create in-depth, well-researched OPs on a phone. Subsequent developers have had more pressing demands to address. If you have the relevant skills and would like to add it, contact the current dev team for access and start coding.

That was actually still me, before any of the apps had thread creation and before gbs became a fyad-light. At this point, sure, why not. Time is more the problem. The beta just got the ability to close your threads, the next beta will have a watered down version of post previews.

Posting threads has quite a few prerequisites and it might be literal years until someone adds it.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Sereri posted:

the next beta will have a watered down version of post previews.

Holy poo poo, yes. :peanut:

Nth Doctor posted:

Ticket opened:
Please add the ability to post new threads to awful.apk
Hardcode thread tag to BAN ME.
Thanks and god bless.

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 27, 2016

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Quote is not edit.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

New forum icons are neat except for the fact that when scrolling down the forum index they change colors and flicker.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Skeezy posted:

New forum icons are neat except for the fact that when scrolling down the forum index they change colors and flicker.

I genuinely couldn't tell if that was intentional or not, given that this is Something Awful dot com.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Uh that's my fault, I'm lazy

I'll fix it at some point! Unless people are into it :pcgaming:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

XIII posted:

I genuinely couldn't tell if that was intentional or not, given that this is Something Awful dot com.

Honestly yeah for a second I thought the same.