Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of this opinion?
No you are wrong. Evil is good.
Correct
Correct except we SHOULD nuke it
Fats don't deserve to have opinions
View Results

• Locked thread
LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Running back in the thread a bit, but just favorite thing about the sola scriptura folks is how many of them insist on the creeds as well, which are most definitely... not scripture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I grew up Catholic and didn't leave the church until I was around 19. A couple years afterwards, the priest who had made the biggest impression in my life was busted for growing pot in the rectory. His image was even featured in Maxim magazine for that stunt.

Here's an article about it (and click the link below for a pic):

quote:

The Marijuana Priest

On January 21, 2004, Fr. Richard Arko, 40, above, and accomplice Jensen Powell, 24, were arrested by the police for growing marijuana in a closet in the rectory of Prince of Peace church.

Fr. Arko was pastor of the church, which is on the border of the cities of Norton and Barbarton, Ohio, and belongs to the Diocese of Cleveland. In a letter to parishioners, Bishop Anthony Pilla declared the case "confused" him. On April 6, Fr. Arko pleaded guilty before the court judge. In a spare bedroom of the rectory, 35 marijuana plants (from 6 inches to 4-feet) were discovered, along with grow lights, eletric transformers, air purifiers and various how-to drug volumes, including
The Marijuana Grower's Guide and Opium for the Masses.

Jensen Powell was living in the rectory and police alleged he sold marijuana from that residence. In fact, two small plastic bags of marijuana and $1,100 in cash were confiscated from Powell.

The priest, pictured above in the Summit County Jail photo, is also facing criminal probation into allegations of sexual abuse of a 15-year-old youth.To see a photo of Fr. Arko teaching a yoga class at St. Mary's Parish Hall and a picture of the pots of marijuana found in the rectory, click here.
http://www.traditioninaction.org/RevolutionPhotos/A073rcMarijuanaPriest.htm

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 26, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zippy the Bummer posted:

I never got the complaint about Catholicism being all guilt-trippy. Sure there is a long list of Bad Things Not to Do but there is also the afforded option of confession, which amounts to "spend two minutes in an anonymous box telling your bad deeds to a dude who has heard the world's most horrible poo poo a thousand times and doesnt give a gently caress what you're saying and your sin-o-meter can be reset to zero with a few mumbled words"

do practicing Catholics anywhere really wring their hands about this poo poo? Any priest who has been acting for more than a year has heard the worst poo poo imaginable so much that they aren't even phased, they won't even remember your loving confession two minutes later

The guilt trip stuff isn't about the sins you commit though, it's about you having Original Sin which means you're a piece of poo poo loser from the get go and you better throw yourself on Jesus' mercy because even though you deserve eternal hellfire for being a terrible person Jesus is a good guy; but no matter what always remember you're poo poo bc Eve was a slut.

Surely you see how that could gently caress up a kid's upbringing a little bit idk

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

is this the final boss of the matrix??!

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I was raised ultra conservative indépendant Baptist and the sight of a Catholic still makes me seeth with rage

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Et à tout vase, je vais excommuniquer tout les catholiques qui se trouvent dans ce fil

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

the power of christ compels you, haha just like the hit movie Ghostbusters

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What if Ghostbusters was a girl?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Wow, those pictures sure are on the nose I'll give them that.

Also, at first glance I thought the subtitle of this thread was The Temple of Elemental Evil, which seems like it works pretty well. Suggest change.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Other guilt trippy things catholics do:
- use the occasion of a funeral to reproach the children of the deceased for their lax church attendance

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

kaschei posted:

- use the occasion of a funeral to reproach the children of the deceased for their lax church attendance

I have never seen this, but I assume it isn't uncommon in the Northeast. Irish Catholics seem to be real bummers

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My gf's psycho aunt showed up to a family funeral for the sole purpose of telling everyone (in the middle of the service) that the deceased was a sinner and was going to hell and yada yada. People had to physically lead crazy aunt away while the grandma was bawling.

Aunt is just some nutter Protestant who thinks the world will end soon though, not a Catholic

religious nuts are just fuckstains in general

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
dirka dirka atheist jihad m'lady

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

stdh.post

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

this was the priest

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Nearly the whole family ostracized my great uncle. He went to China as a missionary priest, had a crisis of faith after a flood that killed thousands, married a Chinese woman, who I believe died on a death march after the Japanese invasion. He survived but didn't want to face his family and hid in the Philippines. In '49 he returned home with a Filipino wife & three daughters by her. For reasons never explained to me the pope took his confession and assigned the penance of renewing his vow of chastity. I assume leaving the priesthood without dispensation is a mortal sin. Anyway that's the story of a man being told by the pope to stop loving his wife.

Family still kept him at arm's length even after he was forgiven by the pope. Apparently it's hard to go back from Father to cousin.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Nocheez posted:

I grew up Catholic and didn't leave the church until I was around 19. A couple years afterwards, the priest who had made the biggest impression in my life was busted for growing pot in the rectory. His image was even featured in Maxim magazine for that stunt.

Here's an article about it (and click the link below for a pic):

http://www.traditioninaction.org/RevolutionPhotos/A073rcMarijuanaPriest.htm

lmao I could've told you that guy was a pothead based on his photo alone.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

kaschei posted:

saw the same thing at a funeral here, they called that poo poo a homegoing tho? anyway the priest got up there talking about how this was a wake-up call that you need to get right with god and if you don't change your ways youre going to hell blah blah, it was horrible. think they were pentecostal tho, def not catholic

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

My gf's psycho aunt showed up to a family funeral for the sole purpose of telling everyone (in the middle of the service) that the deceased was a sinner and was going to hell and yada yada. People had to physically lead crazy aunt away while the grandma was bawling.

Aunt is just some nutter Protestant who thinks the world will end soon though, not a Catholic

religious nuts are just fuckstains in general

In my 20s a good friend died in a freak accident and his mom's fuckstain Evangelical pastor or whatever basically said he was such a nice guy it's really too bad he is going to Hell. Sometimes I wish that I would have had the wherewithal to stand up and shout the bastard down, but it was a long time ago and don't know that it would have actually accomplished much.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

my friend who died had schozoaffective disorder and believed he had the soul of a wolf but he wasn't always like howling or acting like a weird wolf guy he just found that spiritually satisfying is he in heaven

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Celluloid Sam posted:

my friend who died had schozoaffective disorder and believed he had the soul of a wolf but he wasn't always like howling or acting like a weird wolf guy he just found that spiritually satisfying is he in heaven

all dogs go to heaven so yes

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

That only applies to wolfweres idiot. Read your bible.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

8 track betamax posted:

Et à tout vase, je vais excommuniquer tout les catholiques qui se trouvent dans ce fil
Je préfère voir bruler au pieu les sois-disants pieux protestants!

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

is this the final boss of the matrix??!

Pius XII, ww2 pope. Alternately praised for talking some nice game about what happened to Jews and "hay we should be peaceful and loving" and reviled for doing nothing about it + playing nice with nazis.

When you look into the statue's eyes, you will find only emptiness behind the glasses. That is intentional.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Nathilus posted:

WELCOME TO THE CATHOLIC CHURCH!

I love the original caption on this btw. "Just the pope hanging out in front of a statue of Jesus." :shrug:

"The Catholic Church is bad, and as proof I submit to you this: the coolest fuckin picture"
- the OP

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

RC church is both bad and bad

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Gatekeeper posted:

"The Catholic Church is bad, and as proof I submit to you this: the coolest fuckin picture"
- the OP

"We are good and you should listen to our moral guidance."

-from in front of a wh40k jesus statue, The Vatican

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
The Vatican harbored hundreds of Jews within its walls during the war, and hid thousands more in various safehouses scattered in and around Rome, I wouldn't call that "doing nothing" or whatever

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Zippy the Bummer posted:

The Vatican harbored hundreds of Jews within its walls during the war, and hid thousands more in various safehouses scattered in and around Rome, I wouldn't call that "doing nothing" or whatever

Jews harbored while pius was playing hopscotch with hitler.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Zippy the Bummer posted:

I didn't see his clowns sticking a halberd up a nazis rear end

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Gatekeeper posted:

- the OP

seriously what videogame is this from

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
the palatine guard got into scraps all the time with italian cops trying to chase after political refugees hiding in Vatican city

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

VectorSigma posted:

seriously what videogame is this from

Dark Souls boss fight

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

VectorSigma fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 27, 2016

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

lazy lay bong tong roulette

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

kaschei posted:

Nearly the whole family ostracized my great uncle. He went to China as a missionary priest, had a crisis of faith after a flood that killed thousands, married a Chinese woman, who I believe died on a death march after the Japanese invasion. He survived but didn't want to face his family and hid in the Philippines. In '49 he returned home with a Filipino wife & three daughters by her. For reasons never explained to me the pope took his confession and assigned the penance of renewing his vow of chastity. I assume leaving the priesthood without dispensation is a mortal sin. Anyway that's the story of a man being told by the pope to stop loving his wife.

Family still kept him at arm's length even after he was forgiven by the pope. Apparently it's hard to go back from Father to cousin.
You'd think at this point the church would get rid of their dumb priest chasity and marriage laws seeing how priests are dying off and the reason those laws were put into place was so the church could hold the estate of the places where the priests lived.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

You'd think at this point the church would get rid of their dumb priest chasity and marriage laws seeing how priests are dying off and the reason those laws were put into place was so the church could hold the estate of the places where the priests lived.

But you see sex is MAGIC and these superholy dudes are extra magic because they don't have the sex and can be all "YOU ARE HAVING THE SEX WRONG!" and "YOU HAD THE SEX AND NOW CAN'T HAVE AN ABORTION" and stuff. The superholy dudes would be less magic if they had the sex too, you see, and wouldn't be able to be properly authoritative and disapproving like they are now.

psychic chasms
Oct 23, 2012

SCREWED UP CLICK TILL THEY LAY ME IN MY CASKET
lol my sister is a nun

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

But you see sex is MAGIC and these superholy dudes are extra magic because they don't have the sex and can be all "YOU ARE HAVING THE SEX WRONG!" and "YOU HAD THE SEX AND NOW CAN'T HAVE AN ABORTION" and stuff. The superholy dudes would be less magic if they had the sex too, you see, and wouldn't be able to be properly authoritative and disapproving like they are now.

Eastern Catholic priests can marry, for example, and they are as valid as Roman Catholic priests. So no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
i support the existence of the catholic church because all japanese video games are either about the catholic church or tentacle monsters (sometimes both), and for me that's just the right amount of variety.

• Locked thread