Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Nut Bunnies posted:

It is, but the philosophy of the devs seems to be making it more of a simulation of wrestling as if it were real. That kind of thing is fine for real sports, but it doesn't really make sense for wrestling. The best games have a balance of sports simulation and arcade absurdity. 2K15 and 2K16 go too far in the simulation direction.

When I can give Kevin Owens Nikki Bella's moveset and put him in a hardcore match with a guy in a gorilla costume don't come at me with "this is too realistic"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Legacy features from when the game was more arcadey doesn't count.

Also MyCareer is one of the biggest loving slogs I've ever experienced outside of an RPG. Having to use everything in my move set & dragging out a match to get what little extra points I can grab is a horrible experience. I get what they're going for, but it was a huge misfire.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

If you play on xBone, WWE 16 will be free next month for Games with Gold.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
2019: Raw and Smackdown now both air live on ESPN

WWE Champions:

World - Alberto Del Rio

Tag - Vaudevillians

United States - Bray Wyatt

Intercontinental - Simon Gotch

Women's - Lana

what a world, what a time to be alive

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nut Bunnies posted:

Legacy features from when the game was more arcadey doesn't count.

Also MyCareer is one of the biggest loving slogs I've ever experienced outside of an RPG. Having to use everything in my move set & dragging out a match to get what little extra points I can grab is a horrible experience. I get what they're going for, but it was a huge misfire.

2K16 provides a pretty good rassling experience, other than that it doesn't matter what character you are or what you're doing in the ring. The best that it gets is that you are almost imperceptibly stronger or weaker than a given wrestler and only then if you are working a certain body part.

The game also needs to dispense with jobber simulationism. People want to re-enact and create main event stories with their favorite wrestlers and CAWs, not get told by Triple H that they have to do more pushups.

Incidentally, 2k16's CAW offering is just about the worst I've seen of any wrestling game in maybe 10 years.

The game plays nominally well but simply has no depth.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Day of Reckoning had a perfectly fine career mode where you started on the bottom 12 years ago

Also a better wrestling experience than most games since

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
WWE 2K16 mods are too irritating to put together. I've gotten 1 mod to work this whole time. Does just...annnnybody out there have some settings/files I can just copy and paste on my game's folder to have your setup?

I figure this does not qualify as :files: action.

89 fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 27, 2016

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Nut Bunnies posted:

Day of Reckoning had a perfectly fine career mode where you started on the bottom 12 years ago

Also a better wrestling experience than most games since

Day of Reckoning 2, on the other hand, had Stephanie hire you to destroy WWE merchandise and murder dockworkers.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Day of Reckoning 2, on the other hand, had Stephanie hire you to destroy WWE merchandise and murder dockworkers.

Nah, that's Wrestlemania 19 aka the best story mode in a wrestling game

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I assume you never played DoR in multi-man matches, then? Because the thing where you could knock people out of move animations SOUNDS good but was absolutely maddening in practice.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

DOR 2's story mode. where you unlocked everything, was maddening, I don't think I ever managed to beat the 4 way cage match.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I always go all in on WWE 2k every year and always wonder why I'm not just playing Fire Pro or VPW2 instead. They need to start from scratch with the whole series I think.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

remusclaw posted:

DOR 2's story mode. where you unlocked everything, was maddening, I don't think I ever managed to beat the 4 way cage match.

thats exactly where i stopped playing

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

super macho dude posted:

If you play on xBone, WWE 16 will be free next month for Games with Gold.

How does that work? Is it downloadable?

vvv Thanks. Now I wonder if it will be a memory hog.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 27, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Steve Vader posted:

How does that work? Is it downloadable?
Yes. You need an XBox Live Gold account, but you just add it to your account and download at your leisure.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
How is community creations overall this year? Do you guys think One's version of 2k16 is going to be a ghost town compared to PS4? Seems the main 360 community migrated there.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

89 posted:

WWE 2K16 mods are too irritating to put together. I've gotten 1 mod to work this whole time. Does just...annnnybody out there have some settings/files I can just copy and paste on my game's folder to have your setup?

I take it back. There was a couple of very easy, VERY SIMPLE bullet points that people didn't make clear on the mods. Got them up and going. Having fun now. Doing poo poo like this:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

89 posted:

I take it back. There was a couple of very easy, VERY SIMPLE bullet points that people didn't make clear on the mods. Got them up and going. Having fun now. Doing poo poo like this:

Could you expound on those bullet points, or where they can be found, as I have found it somewhat past my patience to do anything with the game as regards modding, even though it is the main reason I bought it.

jred250
Sep 7, 2003
F Zero Novice

1st AD posted:

I just wish it was like the old AKI games where you could always kick out when you wanted to.

Wait, what do you mean you could always kick out when you wanted to?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The WCW AKI games had a glitch where if you flicked the analog stick while you were being pinned or were in a submission hold you would immediately break it. In the WWE games it only made the hold or the pin last longer. Using it in the WWE games allowed you to stay in repeating animation moves as long as you wanted, resulting in 100 chained german suplexes and such.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

89 posted:

Did you read my last reply to you? I haven't had any character mods i couldn't get working by doing one or both of those things. A couple that use pacplus can't do moves, but i think that has more to do with the person who made the moveset, though, as others using pacplus are fine.

e: sorry, didn't see your last response

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

remusclaw posted:

Could you expound on those bullet points, or where they can be found, as I have found it somewhat past my patience to do anything with the game as regards modding, even though it is the main reason I bought it.

You need a hex editor like HxD for both of these.
1. The mod may be deactivated by default. Open the pac file with your hex editing program and hit ctrl+f to search for XXX and change it to YYY. Both are case sensitive.

2. The character id in the pac file may not match the slot that the character is set to in Future Proof String. Again, open the pac file with your hex editing program and search for the EMD line so you can edit it.

Character id 405 would be:
EMD........4

To make it a character id 267 you would change it to:
EMD........2

All default attire character id's end with 02, so if there's a specific attire you would like to make the default, make sure the last 2 numbers are 02.

e: 3. Some mods require pacplus. If they're in a slot that's blocked off by default, download pacpacplus, open your game, and press a button to get past the first screen. Then run pacplus and wait for it to finish. It can take awhile if your pc isn't the greatest.

e2: Also, in the Future Proof String list, the character id is not the same as the character slot number. The slot number is a few boxes to the left of the id. The character slots and moveset slots are not lined up, so make sure you're putting the moveset in the appropriate slot.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 28, 2016

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Went OCD on 2K16 like I was 14 years old again and got all of the mods set up and ready to go.

Now I realize that the game likes to stutter a lot, drop FPS, and just make me consider what else I could have done with my day off. :(

My computer handles Witcher 3 on mostly ultra settings, but 2K16 can't keep a consistent frame rate and sometimes all together just freezes for 2-3 seconds in the middle of a match.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Regrettable posted:

The help I needed

Thank you very much. I will give this stuff a go!

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

89 posted:

Went OCD on 2K16 like I was 14 years old again and got all of the mods set up and ready to go.

Now I realize that the game likes to stutter a lot, drop FPS, and just make me consider what else I could have done with my day off. :(

My computer handles Witcher 3 on mostly ultra settings, but 2K16 can't keep a consistent frame rate and sometimes all together just freezes for 2-3 seconds in the middle of a match.

Yeah, some people have problems with the game stuttering and slowing down after removing and replacing the chunk_cache.bin file to allow mods. I guess I got lucky because I'm running midgrade AMD hardware and I haven't had any issues with 2k16. 2k15 would do that if I had the crowd turned on, no matter what my other graphic settings were at.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Regrettable posted:

You need a hex editor like HxD for both of these.
1. The mod may be deactivated by default. Open the pac file with your hex editing program and hit ctrl+f to search for XXX and change it to YYY. Both are case sensitive.

2. The character id in the pac file may not match the slot that the character is set to in Future Proof String. Again, open the pac file with your hex editing program and search for the EMD line so you can edit it.

Character id 405 would be:
EMD........4

To make it a character id 267 you would change it to:
EMD........2

All default attire character id's end with 02, so if there's a specific attire you would like to make the default, make sure the last 2 numbers are 02.

e: 3. Some mods require pacplus. If they're in a slot that's blocked off by default, download pacpacplus, open your game, and press a button to get past the first screen. Then run pacplus and wait for it to finish. It can take awhile if your pc isn't the greatest.

e2: Also, in the Future Proof String list, the character id is not the same as the character slot number. The slot number is a few boxes to the left of the id. The character slots and moveset slots are not lined up, so make sure you're putting the moveset in the appropriate slot.

lol why can't someone just write an installer package for this poo poo instead of making me fire up a hex editor?

This is pretty much why I only do custom tron/song injections, waaaaaaay less bullshit involved to play my wrestlemans game.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

1st AD posted:

lol why can't someone just write an installer package for this poo poo instead of making me fire up a hex editor?

This is pretty much why I only do custom tron/song injections, waaaaaaay less bullshit involved to play my wrestlemans game.

It's a hassle until you do it a few times, but then you can fix both of those issues in less than a minute. I have no idea why most modders make you go through the first step, though. Seems like they're just making things difficult for the average user. The second one can't really be helped unless every modder agrees to use the same character slots, though.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

1st AD posted:

Basically if you want your game to be easily extensible you have to build it from the ground up with modding in mind

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On a different note, I've been getting back into UFC 2 and finally clicked with the whole 'mixing high and low gives a damage bonus' mechanic. Plus I've had some good luck punking out people in ranked with the featured scrubs of the day. Like grinding down Dominick Crux with Mitch Gagnon because the person playing Cruz couldn't deal with leg kicks after a jab or two. Or a guy playing as Uriah Hall throwing bombs for the whole first round, letting me smash him in 2 and 3 with Tim Kennedy because he got so gassed.

Or someone playing Joanna and being loving terrified of the floor to the point that she wouldn't follow up on any of the 3 knockdowns she got, and let me make a comeback to get a split decision.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I really wish UFC 2 and 3 came out on PC. I don't have my playstation anymore and those games were super fun. It really seemed like most people didn't know how to deal with leg kick mix-ups, though. Also, it was super easy to sub most people once you got the submission system down and tired them out a bit.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Is anyone else playing WWE: Champions? I figured it would be a hot topic after all the Supercars nonsense. I installed yesterday (had to download an APK and sideload as it's unavailable in the US) and it's pretty fun.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

For the hell of it, I decided to create a cruiserweight brand on WWE 2K16 (PS3). Discovered that Sami Zayn does not qualify as a cruiserweight, while both Usos do.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Is anyone else playing WWE: Champions? I figured it would be a hot topic after all the Supercars nonsense. I installed yesterday (had to download an APK and sideload as it's unavailable in the US) and it's pretty fun.

I grabbed it yesterday. Seems fun so far. Filled with IAP bullshit but that's to be expected.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Shane Douglas founded a promotion based on Lucha Libre and Traditional wrestling :psyduck:

Meanwhile, WWE booked a 'Lana pins Ronda Rousey' match

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

My last month in TEW can be described in 4 words:

Kevin Nash sex tape.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 3, 2016

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

ChrisBTY posted:

My last month is TEW can be described in 4 words:

Kevin Nash sex tape.

:stare:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They don't call him Big Sexy for nothin'

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

1st AD posted:

Hey buddy, Pozzum's trying to get most of the other modders to agree to make their content part of a single patch sometime in the next month or two. A few people have already agreed, and he seems to be a pretty decent coder, so maybe there will be an easy solution for you sometime soon.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Gaz-L posted:

I assume you never played DoR in multi-man matches, then? Because the thing where you could knock people out of move animations SOUNDS good but was absolutely maddening in practice.
IIRC it worked the other way too, where a move animation could knock other players down if they didn't attack first. This made the RKO ridiculous, due to its hitbox of two full character lengths (and relatively fast animation).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
April, 2020

Adam Cole vs The Miz, live, on Smackdown

A+ 5* Match of the Year