Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

that's not enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Ego Trip posted:

that's not enough

Someone bitched at us last year when we, as a running joke, had all of the guests say it at the end of their tips.

Edit: We rolled over to another page so I'm reposting it.

8one6 posted:

My podcast recorded a new Gen Con survival guide. This year it's only 30 minutes long and only mentions the "You need to shower" thing once.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 25, 2016

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Let them bitch, it really needs to be repeated as often as possible. Please shower during the con you smelly assholes. It's hot as gently caress and you're walking around all day and building up an apocalyptic funk

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

8one6 posted:

Someone bitched at us last year when we, as a running joke, had all of the guests say it at the end of their tips.
That guy who bitched? :siren:SMELLY rear end in a top hat SPOTTED:siren:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I'm not a big guy, but by the end of the day at Gen Con I just feel disgusting. I can't imagine getting home/to the hotel and feeling like that, going to bed, waking up and and saying, "Yep, good to go for another day," then walking out the door.

That being said--GEN CON IS ALMOST HERE! I'm thinking of making a Pokemon bingo sheet just to see how far the Pokemon GO influence goes. The free space would obviously be someone playing Pokemon GO. And then spaces for grossly overpriced Pokemon cards and themed board games to cash in on the hype, etc.

EDIT: vvvv Oh yeah, definitely. I just meant more along the lines of a blanket XX% markup on cards from smaller vendors to cash in on the current hype, like how all of the older games have skyrocketed on the used market since Pokemon GO came out.

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 25, 2016

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Agrias120 posted:

That being said--GEN CON IS ALMOST HERE! I'm thinking of making a Pokemon bingo sheet just to see how far the Pokemon GO influence goes. The free space would obviously be someone playing Pokemon GO. And then spaces for grossly overpriced Pokemon cards and themed board games to cash in on the hype, etc.

The Pokemon tcg has been around for almost 17 years. So it's not like it will a rushed in product.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Agrias120 posted:

EDIT: vvvv Oh yeah, definitely. I just meant more along the lines of a blanket XX% markup on cards from smaller vendors to cash in on the current hype, like how all of the older games have skyrocketed on the used market since Pokemon GO came out.

Yeah, I think there was a day recently where the top three selling items on Amazon were cell phone batteries, game boys, and the pokemon soundtrack. (Or maybe it was one of the old games, like Red/Blue/Yellow.)

Neveth
Aug 22, 2011

Oh hello, delicious friend.

Agrias120 posted:

I'm not a big guy, but by the end of the day at Gen Con I just feel disgusting. I can't imagine getting home/to the hotel and feeling like that, going to bed, waking up and and saying, "Yep, good to go for another day," then walking out the door.

Yeah I mean the first thing I do when I get back to the room after a gencon day is take a cold-warm shower to clean off the sweaty grimy feeling. Maybe it's being around that many people but I just feel so gross by the end of the day.

Haha, I can't wait to see how many other people are playing pokemon while there. I just hope people don't just stop dead in the walkways in the dealers hall to catch things. Everyone does that enough as it is. :(

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Neveth posted:

Haha, I can't wait to see how many other people are playing pokemon while there. I just hope people don't just stop dead in the walkways in the dealers hall to catch things. Everyone does that enough as it is. :(

This is definitely going to happen.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Eh, I don't think it'll cause much of a problem. Most of the Pokemon Go hype is dying down now, since the game is pretty trash and the nostalgia fumes only last so long.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Having just attended SDCC, I can tell you that it's not nearly as much of an issue as you would think. For one, the mass number of people using their phones in a central area like that can cripple a network's data speeds making it pretty tough play anyway, but aside from that people were pretty much focused on being there. Lots of people outside the main hall playing, sure, but not so much navigating the busy aisles. I'm sure Gen Con will be similar.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Neveth posted:

Some fat rear end in a top hat is going to knock a child down in his pursuit of a Pidgeotto, I guarantee it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
There are so few children at gencon that seeing one is honestly more rare than any pokemon go catch. Like the average age of gencon has to be a good 20 years older than any other con I've gone to

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm bringing a few big games to play over the weekend, and I'd like to setup some groups/times here ahead of time. Last year devolved into a bunch of Resistance/Codenames/Buyers Hall dickery and while that was fun, I want to do some serious gaming this year. Here's what I'm bringing, max player count, and an estimated time to play each, let me know if you're interested in any. I'll be around Wed-Sun

Kemet - 5 players - 2 hours
Blood Rage - 4 players - 1.5 hours
Arcadia Quest - 4 players - 1.5 hours/scenario, 6 hours for a full campaign
Roll for the Galaxy - 5 players - 1 hour
Keyflower - 6 players - 2 hours
Mottainai - 4 players - 30 minutes
Millenium Blades - 5 players - 2 hours
LotR LCG - 4 players - 1 hour

...plus any purchases I make while there. I'll also have some GoT LCG decks with me if anyone wants to play any time.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm bringing a few big games to play over the weekend, and I'd like to setup some groups/times here ahead of time. Last year devolved into a bunch of Resistance/Codenames/Buyers Hall dickery and while that was fun, I want to do some serious gaming this year. Here's what I'm bringing, max player count, and an estimated time to play each, let me know if you're interested in any. I'll be around Wed-Sun

...plus any purchases I make while there. I'll also have some GoT LCG decks with me if anyone wants to play any time.

My friend and I would love to check out Arcadia Quest and Millenium Blades. What days/times are you thinking? We're kind of trying to fill in some late night stuff on Thursday/ morning on Friday.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Thursday night would be great for me.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Slightly outside the con but if you're kicking around on Wednesday and we can find a spot I'll have 4 people who'd be totally down to play any one of those.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yup, we can definitely find a spot around the ICC that afternoon. So Wednesday afternoon and Thursday night so far.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'll be getting into Indy around 4-5 and getting dinner a little after, are you on the groupme?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, same name on there.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Countblanc posted:

There are so few children at gencon that seeing one is honestly more rare than any pokemon go catch. Like the average age of gencon has to be a good 20 years older than any other con I've gone to

I see tons of nerd-parents bringing their little nerdlings around, especially on the weekend. They don't tend to show up in events. Certainly more than any other con I've been to.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Bottom Liner posted:

Me and a friend are coming to our first Gen con and the only thing we have planned is going to the showroom on Thursday. Basically we just want to play a bunch of games. I would be down for Kemet, Blood Rage and Arcadia Quest for sure and maybe Keyflower. He is usually ok with whatever so ill vouch for him too. We are arriving on Wed in the afternoon and staying until Sunday midday so pretty much any day works for us. We Wil probably want to avoid really late night if possible but if other people decide to play really late we won't hold it up. I'm on groupme under the same name.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 26, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sounds great. I'll make a rough schedule and post it here with locations and times and I'll post frequently in the Groupme about the games as well.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Agrias120 posted:

My friend and I would love to check out Arcadia Quest and Millenium Blades. What days/times are you thinking? We're kind of trying to fill in some late night stuff on Thursday/ morning on Friday.

Same here, though my schedule is fluid and subject to luck, so we'll see. I'm always interested in trying something new (well, except for the LotR LCG).

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Countblanc posted:

You should try the various Worldcons if you think GenCon is an older demographic.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdCPaJUL5QzOytOkUFOR8IBZa9cL9B42miH-PPvq6UPbyrH-g/viewform

CGE is doing a pre-order form for GenCon again if you want to make sure you get any of the things on that list (Codenames: Pictures being the one you probably can't get yet).

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

fordan posted:

You should try the various Worldcons if you think GenCon is an older demographic.

The "silvering" of the sci-fi fandom (which is bullshit, new sci-fi is attracting new fans all the time) is kind of hilarious. I run the gaming at ConQuest and at 30 I'm the youngest person who shows up to the planning meetings.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Bottom Liner posted:

I kind of want to play Millennium Blades, but I'm not free on Thursday until like 11 PM. I could play on Wednesday night, I guess; even in lieu of the sacred trivia because there's going to be like a million people there and too many goons to really hang out with any of them anyway. (And I haven't been to the trivia the last few years anyway; usually it's for the judge meeting, but I'm not working this year.)

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

I'm up for Keyflower and Millienium Blades; I have the expansions for Keyflower if that's of interest. When I figure out what I can fit I'll post what I'm bringing, though if you're interested in Arkwright I'm getting the second edition (and figuring out what to do with the old one) on pickup there.

troll for dollars
Jan 10, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

+1 for Millenium Blades, because eve though I own it, I don't think I'll ever get enough people to the table to play it.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
All right, gonna try GroupMe via SMS on my ancient-rear end phone. What's the number for this group?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Phone: +1 9707033145 Group ID: 9123611

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Ilor posted:

All right, gonna try GroupMe via SMS on my ancient-rear end phone. What's the number for this group?

Prepare to receive approximately one billion texts.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yeah, I'm gonna #mute you fuckers in a bit. I think I still have unlimited texting, but no sense tempting fate until I can confirm it.

BTW, the issue was that there's a setting where it will not send you texts if the web chat session is open. That's actually a surprisingly awesome and chill feature.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Gen Con!!! I'm only attending for two days this year, but that's way better than no days. Guess it's time for my annual dusting off of the GroupMe.

These days I spend most of my time in the Writer's Symposium, unless someone's dragging me away to *ugh* play an actual game.

Anyway I'm sure I'll catch some of you at a meet-up or two. The traditional goon quiz night at that lovely sports bar happens before Friday, doesn't it? :/

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

In case playing games with authors appeals to you, this just popped up:

https://twitter.com/Chaosium_Inc/status/758117823088435200

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Hi friends! I just joined the GroupMe chat. This is like my 8th GenCon but my first attempt to affiliate with goons in any capacity.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Check your PM, Alien Rope Burn.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Trustworthy posted:

Anyway I'm sure I'll catch some of you at a meet-up or two. The traditional goon quiz night at that lovely sports bar happens before Friday, doesn't it? :/

Yeah, its Wednesday night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I don't want to, but I am getting a little bit hyped for Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition. I will definitely be trying it on the show floor before I even contemplate buying it, since it's $100.

• Locked thread