Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

I see it's time for another round of "Key blames Minister for Not Telling Him Stuff". Todays contestant: Todd McClay.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/82453210/trade-minister-admits-officials-had-known-about-china-trade-retaliation-fears-for-months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
To be followed shortly after by "Look at the end of the day most right-thinking New Zealanders realise that this unfortunate situation is due to the actions of the previous Labour government. :smug:"

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am surprised the bus is still moving with all those people thrown under it.

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
Noticed these guys are advertising during 3 News the last couple of times I've watched it...

http://fluoridefree.org.nz/

An ad saying how all these countries don't fluoridate and have better teeth than us.

Didn't realise they had that kind of money (or conversely, that its that cheap to advertise in NZ)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Good work on focusing in on the fact that ~98% of Europe doesn't flouridate their water; conveniently not mentioning that a good number of them have naturally flouridated water or gets flouride by adding it to basic foods instead. I didn't bother seeing if they had Mexico on their flag list, a country renowned for causing flourosis in Americans who take the heavily flouridated toothpaste from there back home to use with flouridated water.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I mean... he's already an MP? He's probably less objectionable than the kid they parachuted into Clutha-Southland, anyway.

Not if you know him.

Any dickhead with connections and money can get a list seat from the national party. I think what I hate about the idea of him winning an electorate is that he'll get the idea that people are voting for him, or that he is in some way an acceptable or worthwhile human being.

I don't like Bishop, you might notice.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
My landlord put a Chris Bishop billboard on the fence. I work near his office which has a giant Chris Bishop billboard above it. I get to look at his slightly pudgy face and crooked teeth every day.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You should tell them how dangerous elemental Fluorine is by telling them it would set their faces on fire on contact.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Has anybody gotten Jacqui Dean involved yet? It seems like her experience in these matters would be very useful.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Robo Captain posted:

My landlord put a Chris Bishop billboard on the fence. I work near his office which has a giant Chris Bishop billboard above it. I get to look at his slightly pudgy face and crooked teeth every day.

If your landlord doesn't live there, that's technically interfering with your quiet enjoyment of the property and if you felt suuuuuuuper strongly about it you could probably make him take them down.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11682457

:allears: :allears: :allears:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Time to go home I guess.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Welp some Poms are gonna potentially have noisier neighbours better just let the housing crisis go totally unchecked.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
For once I just wish the Government would stop to consider the effect of their policies on white, middle-aged home owners in Auckland.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Can we collectively just tell Poms 'gently caress off, we're full' when they try to settle here?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I like the perspective that the story stresses they "spent their life savings" on the house as if they can't just sell up and walk away with literally more money than they put into it because it's exactly this kind of whining that has made the plan so loving necessary.

Oh, and also that they're from London and think that one side of the street being zoned so that you can put two dwellings on a site without a resource consent is "highly urbanised".

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
send these immigrants back to their own country

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

send these immigrants back to their own country

Perhaps a sort of Exit to Britain? A Brexit, if you will.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Ghostlight posted:

I like the perspective that the story stresses they "spent their life savings" on the house as if they can't just sell up and walk away with literally more money than they put into it because it's exactly this kind of whining that has made the plan so loving necessary.

Oh, and also that they're from London and think that one side of the street being zoned so that you can put two dwellings on a site without a resource consent is "highly urbanised".

Also "life" savings? I mean they can't be more than what 30? 35? How does one save a lifetime of money in only 10 to 15 years?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

klen dool posted:

Also "life" savings? I mean they can't be more than what 30? 35? How does one save a lifetime of money in only 10 to 15 years?

'Lifetime' is not an objective metric.

Pretty sure upper middle class poms save a shitload more over ten years than someone making nikes does in their whole lifetime.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

gently caress Nikes, if you can afford to buy a four bedroom house in Auckland you've already saved more than most people living there will.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
http://thespinoff.co.nz/auckland-2016/27-07-2016/announcing-the-war-for-auckland/

this is cool and good imo

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The herald could easily have found someone with a real grievance over the plan, that article is purely manufactured outrage. Those people have just made a mint because the developers mentioned in the article will cause the prices in the area to inflate further. They have access to like 95% of the city's housing stock.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Slavvy posted:

'Lifetime' is not an objective metric.

Pretty sure upper middle class poms save a shitload more over ten years than someone making nikes does in their whole lifetime.

That's my point, they can't have spent anywhere near their life savings since they have only lived 10 years of their 50 year working life. For it to be reported that they have spent their life savings is a little disingenuous since it isn't an objective metric and subjectively they only spent a fifth if it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Life savings is just what you've saved in your life.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

And their life hasn't been that long, when people talk about "life savings" it's usually in reference to an older couple who've been scrimping and saving for most of their working life - not someone who have barely started their working life.
It's a phrase used to extenuate their circumstances to give the story more gravity than it really does, because in reality there is no real story here. Whoever used that phrase (probably the journalist) is exaggerating for effect and turned the story into fiction.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

If you're using the word journalist to describe a Herald employee then it's actually you who is trying to grant more gravity to something that doesn't deserve it.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
This thread has the dumbest semantics arguments, goddamn. Life savings are literally any money you have saved at any point in your life.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

El Pollo Blanco posted:

This thread has the dumbest semantics arguments, goddamn. Life savings are literally any money you have saved at any point in your life.

Don't lump everyone else in with me and klen dool.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I love to see a homeowner cry

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marx can we do a poll of homeowners vs renters in this thread? I'm genuinely curious to see how it breaks down.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

El Pollo Blanco posted:

That wouldn't be the most commonly accepted definition I would have thought.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

If you're using the word journalist to describe a Herald employee then it's actually you who is trying to grant more gravity to something that doesn't deserve it.

I think it's actually the herald and it's employee who describe themselves as journalists - it's me who is pointing out that it's not good journalism.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

El Pollo Blanco posted:

It's actually "god-damned"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

fukken calm ur tits

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

bobbilljim posted:

I love to see a homeowner cry

It's the only way I can maintain an erection now.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

fukken calm ur tits

But I doooooont waaaaaaaanaaaaaaaaa

Also it's "loving", "your", and "missus".

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

klen dool posted:

But I doooooont waaaaaaaanaaaaaaaaa

Also it's "loving", "your", and "missus".

You could of told us earlier, mate.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

The trust I am named on owns my home :chord:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

You could of told us earlier, mate.

For all intensive purposes I did

• Locked thread