Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Watched Deadpool, was a lot of fun, but in comics, is he that crass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

I'm just going to quote this so it's here forever.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Calaveron posted:

No because comics aren't rated R. (Don't read Deadpool MAX, it's garbage)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I mean, to be fair, he goes pretty much as far as you can go in a non-Max title.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

X-O posted:

No because comics aren't rated R. (Don't read Deadpool MAX, it's garbage)

... I liked Deadpool Max. It was weird and interesting but my favorite Deadpool is Uncanny X-Force and for not being a giant Deadpool fan in general he may have been my favorite character in the book.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-Force is a more restrained Deadpool since he's not the main character and the others in it aren't jokey types.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

... I liked Deadpool Max. It was weird and interesting but my favorite Deadpool is Uncanny X-Force and for not being a giant Deadpool fan in general he may have been my favorite character in the book.

Dad Jokes Uncanny X-Force Deadpool is best Deadpool.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I totally misread that as Unfunny X-force.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

MrAristocrates posted:

I didn't even know he'd gotten cast but apparently Tony Revolori is playing Flash Thompson? That's certainly an interesting choice.

Ahaha a 5'6" Flash Thompson, thankfully RDJ is also in the movie so Tony can find out where he gets those lifts

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

A Flash who's more of a jealous rival to an effortlessly-smart-but-flaky Peter Parker is a hell of a lot more interesting than stereotypical jock-bully character. Although it removes the "nerd vs. popular crowd" dichotomy, but it could be done with any number of other ancillary high school extras.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Fallen Rib

Sumo posted:

A Flash who's more of a jealous rival to an effortlessly-smart-but-flaky Peter Parker is a hell of a lot more interesting than stereotypical jock-bully character. Although it removes the "nerd vs. popular crowd" dichotomy, but it could be done with any number of other ancillary high school extras.

Wouldn't that be Eddy Brock though?

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Madkal posted:

Wouldn't that be Eddy Brock though?

I always saw Brock as an older, post-high school antagonist, but I guess that's true.

I just think the "Varsity football quarterback jock bully with the cheerleader girlfriend" is played out. It seems more contemporary to have a high school rival vying for scholarships/valedictorian/etc and being outright furious that the guy who is always late for class keeps getting straight A's. And making it more of a competition (albeit one-sided and obsessive) vs. a straight-up bully.

Like Salieri to Parker's Amadeus. I think it could be cool. :)

Sumo fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 26, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sumo posted:

I just think the "Varsity football quarterback jock bully with the cheerleader girlfriend" is played out. It seems more contemporary to have a high school rival vying for scholarships/valedictorian/etc and being outright furious that the guy who is always late for class keeps getting straight A's. And making it more of a competition (albeit one-sided and obsessive) vs. a straight-up bully.

Like Salieri to Parker's Amadeus. I think it could be cool. :)
Yup, exactly. It's a good update to the idea of these characters.

I mean, for fucks sake, it could even extend to "Flash basically gets an iPhone 7+ every time the screen is smudged because he's rich, and Pete gets by on one of those Cricket $20 crap phones because he's poor as gently caress".

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

FilthyImp posted:

I mean, for fucks sake, it could even extend to "Flash basically gets an iPhone 7+ every time the screen is smudged because he's rich, and Pete gets by on one of those Cricket $20 crap phones because he's poor as gently caress".

Peter broke his Cricket phone open and filled it with the crap from Tony Stark's couch cushions and now it does poo poo Flash's iPhone can't even dream of.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Travis343 posted:

Peter broke his Cricket phone open and filled it with the crap from Tony Stark's couch cushions and now it does poo poo Flash's iPhone can't even dream of.

OK, you just gave me a thought. We know Iron Man (or was it Tony Stark only) is going to be in homecoming

I can picture something like Flash walks up and says he's got a picture of himself with IM/Tony, building it up like it's a selfie or something - It's just like a really blurry IM in the background or a bad photoshop or something silly like that. It's garbage/fake, but all the cool kids go gaga over it.

Peter comes back with an actual photograph of him with IM. Yeah, it's petty one-upsmanship, but it's high school and seems like the kind of behavior Tony would endorse.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CzarChasm posted:

I can picture something like Flash walks up and says he's got a picture of himself with IM/Tony, building it up like it's a selfie or something - It's just like a really blurry IM in the background or a bad photoshop or something silly like that. It's garbage/fake, but all the cool kids go gaga over it.

Peter comes back with an actual photograph of him with IM. Yeah, it's petty one-upsmanship, but it's high school and seems like the kind of behavior Tony would endorse.
Peter comes back by being dropped off in the middle of a footballs rally by Iron Man and Tony makes fun of Flash for his bad photoshop skillz.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Lobby Boy Agent Venom would be a possibility wouldn't it?

And drat, nerds are trying to prove something by going "Uh Captain Marvel is a MAN, and is owned by DC" as if that is some hidden knowlage that is going to change everything. No one cares, no one is going to pat you on the back, it just makes you look like a dick. Though they really don't like it when you point out he's only part of DC because DC bought Fawcett comics, and that Shazam/CM was a rip off of Superman in the first place.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DC doesn't own "Captain Marvel." That's why he's not called that anymore.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Lobby Boy Agent Venom would be a possibility wouldn't it?

And drat, nerds are trying to prove something by going "Uh Captain Marvel is a MAN, and is owned by DC" as if that is some hidden knowlage that is going to change everything. No one cares, no one is going to pat you on the back, it just makes you look like a dick. Though they really don't like it when you point out he's only part of DC because DC bought Fawcett comics, and that Shazam/CM was a rip off of Superman in the first place.

Captain Marvel wasn't a ripoff of Superman. At the time he was created they were exceptionally different characters except in being superheroes and Superman actually knocked off quite a few things from Captain Marvel. DC argued he was but that was generally considered a legitimately lovely ruling by pretty much everyone.

I think trying to use it against Marvel's CM is dumb but other Captain Marvel is a pretty good character. Nerds being lovely on the internet has nothing to do with that. We probably wouldn't have anything resembling modern Superman if Otto Binder hadn't basically been asked to write Superman as he'd written Captain Marvel.

(Said lovely nerds probably don't know anything about Captain Marvel of course.)

Aphrodite posted:

DC doesn't own "Captain Marvel." That's why he's not called that anymore.

DC can still call him Captain Marvel. They choose not to for obvious reasons. He's still called Captain Marvel in non-mainline stories from time to time (like Morrison's Multiversity.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 27, 2016

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DC can't publish a title called Captain Marvel because Marvel has that copyright or trademark. So they decided to change his name.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Conceptually, I like Shazam more than Marvel Captain Marvel because it's just random Kree bullshit that I could really give a poo poo about, but a decent Marvel female hero that isn't an X-Men is pretty necessary. Doesn't stop me from really wanting a Shazam movie though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ImpAtom posted:

(Said lovely nerds probably don't know anything about Captain Marvel of course.)

Fake geek boys.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bruceski posted:

Fake geek boys.

It's true though. Same types of people who complained about Sam taking over as Cap (while not realizing Bucky do the same thing a few years ago) or Thor being a woman (despite something like Throg existing). A lot of people just want to rail against progression without having having any idea what they're talking about, and it paints all comic fans as weirdo misogynists

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Retro Futurist posted:

It's true though. Same types of people who complained about Sam taking over as Cap (while not realizing Bucky do the same thing a few years ago) or Thor being a woman (despite something like Throg existing). A lot of people just want to rail against progression without having having any idea what they're talking about, and it paints all comic fans as weirdo misogynists

Oh definitely. I didn't mean that sarcastically.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

DC can't publish a title called Captain Marvel because Marvel has that copyright or trademark. So they decided to change his name.

Yes, DC let the trademark for comic book titles lapse so Marvel swooped in and scooped it up. From what I understand though this has no effect on being able to actually call the character Captain Marvel but it does make it more difficult to promote him. This isn't the first time they've tried to change the character's name to Shazam but it is the first time it looks like it is actually sticking.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Shazam's never done anything as interesting as the Death of Captain Marvel anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Fake geek boys.

Oh, I'm sure they're geeks. Just the kind of geek who is looking for some excuse to be lovely.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

muscles like this? posted:

This isn't the first time they've tried to change the character's name to Shazam but it is the first time it looks like it is actually sticking.
Changing the character name to the world that triggers his transformation must make it hard when it comes to introductions.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Lurdiak posted:

Shazam's never done anything as interesting as the Death of Captain Marvel anyway.

This isn't even remotely true!

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

FilthyImp posted:

If you zoom in closely to this pic you can see he has a broken iPhone 3GS

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

This isn't even remotely true!

Yeah, what a wild claim that a B-lister has never done anything more interesting than one of the best superhero comics ever published.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Yes, DC let the trademark for comic book titles lapse so Marvel swooped in and scooped it up. From what I understand though this has no effect on being able to actually call the character Captain Marvel but it does make it more difficult to promote him. This isn't the first time they've tried to change the character's name to Shazam but it is the first time it looks like it is actually sticking.

Marvel's Captain Marvel came out in the '60's it looks like, and DC licensed (not bought, yet, that came later) the rights for Fawcett's Captain Marvel in the '70's (if I'm getting this right).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, what a wild claim that a B-lister has never done anything more interesting than one of the best superhero comics ever published.

Nah, he's had a lot of excellent stories. Even if you just go stand-alone Jeff Smith's Monster Society of Evil is a top-notch book. Obviously more lighthearted than Death of Captain Marvel but of extremely high quality.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jerry Ordway's The Power of Shazam is great too, and I hear wonderful things about the Golden Age stuff

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Jerry Ordway's The Power of Shazam is great too, and I hear wonderful things about the Golden Age stuff

Power of Shazam is wonderful.

The Golden Age stuff is like...

The original Monster Society of Evil arc is amazing for the time but it needs "for the time" in glowing neon letters superimposed over the words racism. And while it is very much 'for the time' racism and the actually made attempts at being inclusive, that doesn't change the fact it is racist as poo poo.

A lot of stories are genuinely good-hearted, inclusive and positive but every so often you wander into Steamboat and get a pretty harsh reminder.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

FilthyImp posted:

Changing the character name to the world that triggers his transformation must make it hard when it comes to introductions.

I'd probably just go by Billy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

When I was a kid, we called him Shazam and that was the 80s.

Retro Futurist posted:

I don't think its intentional, as there are people saying "God drat femnazi movies!", but I think they're just ultra conservative and always want the original to be how things are always and forever.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

For some reason I have the strange belief that the Batman in SS isn't Affleck. I'm sure
It's Bruce and all and that is the same character, but I don't think I've ever seen tea confirmation that Ben is in it. Am I wrong?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

omg chael crash posted:

For some reason I have the strange belief that the Batman in SS isn't Affleck. I'm sure
It's Bruce and all and that is the same character, but I don't think I've ever seen tea confirmation that Ben is in it. Am I wrong?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's BaleBatman, because BvS Batfleck is actually Deathstroke.

• Locked thread