Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

SirSamVimes posted:

I did a low chaos run in my game. One thing I wonder.

High or low chaos, she comments on a change in your behavior. Either that you spare someone or that you're much more bloodthirsty than normal. How do they handle that scene (and the betrayal) if you do a Ghost run where your only kill is the target each time?

Her comments after the whale factory are different certainly but I forget exactly what she says (cause I did it to get some footage but now hurr durr information has left my dumb brain), but everything after that till you get to finale I think it's basically just divided between high and low chaos so whatever that gives you is what you get from her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Ok, got the Expert DCT videos uploaded. Here you go:

Mystery Foe
Burglar
Back Alley Brawl
Bonfires
Train Runner
Kill Cascade

Playlist of all above videos.

As an added bonus, here's the Headhunter Achievement which is inarguably the worst thing in the entire loving game.

Would add some comments but it's 1 AM over here and I really need to hit the hay.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Billie's betrayal saddens me. She's such a good sidekick.

My "head canon" ending for Daud is sparing Billie but finishing the Brigmore Witches on high-chaos, for the special ending slide you get that way.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?

Wugga posted:

Ok, got the Expert DCT videos uploaded. Here you go:

Mystery Foe
Burglar
Back Alley Brawl
Bonfires
Train Runner
Kill Cascade

Playlist of all above videos.

As an added bonus, here's the Headhunter Achievement which is inarguably the worst thing in the entire loving game.

Would add some comments but it's 1 AM over here and I really need to hit the hay.

:golfclap:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Bonfires is the only one to ever make me actually frustrated. It's just so easy to get turned around and gently caress up a blink or break your knees one too many times.

Train Runner is always amazingly funny to me, because apparently it is, or at least was last time I checked, that hopping on the train itself was some huge secret that few people thought about doing.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I want to watch the videos Wugga posted

but I can't

I'm still dying from that outro

all of you

why are you trying to kill me

I can't breathe

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
We're in the High Chaos reality, obviously. The Outsider's influence was leaking in through that outro.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
After reflecting on the intro again, and seeing affirmation on the thread being in High Chaos, I must voice a concern:

Things seem to be getting a little...
you know...
just a bit...
heretical.

INDRICK BOREALE posted:

THE CODECKS ASTARTEES NEHMES THIS MANEUVAH STEEL REHN

oh god when did he get in here

INDRICK BOREALE posted:

MULTIPLE

INDRICK BOREALE posted:

SIMULTEHNEOUS

INDRICK BOREALE posted:

DEEP STRIKES

EVERYONE HIDE YOUR STUFF

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
HIDE YOUR LAUGHTER

HE'S HERE TO STEAL IT

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Let's Play Dishonored: Now Formally Boreallum

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
This thread needs to go from Gold to Platinum.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

IronSaber posted:

This thread needs to go from Gold to Platinum.

I'm now imagining coolguye trying to dodge offset and it's pretty funny

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Stormgale posted:

I'm now imagining coolguye trying to dodge offset and it's pretty funny

Well, Corvo cuts enemies into only slightly fewer pieces than Raiden does.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Parrying is still an important move to master, though.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
So, with the Dishonored 2 gameplay trailer, and now the Collector's Edition contents, there's now a very interesting confirmation about who the 'otherworldly usurper' is who sets off the events of Dishonored 2.

This may show up even more in upcoming articles and promotion about D2, and you'll presumably learn it in the opening stage of the game at the latest, but I'm putting it in tags regardless:

--- Delilah Kaldwin ---

That has some very interesting implications, but I'm not sure if this thread is the right place to talk about them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

:D

Hannibal Rex posted:

So, with the Dishonored 2 gameplay trailer, and now the Collector's Edition contents, there's now a very interesting confirmation about who the 'otherworldly usurper' is who sets off the events of Dishonored 2.

This may show up even more in upcoming articles and promotion about D2, and you'll presumably learn it in the opening stage of the game at the latest, but I'm putting it in tags regardless:

--- Delilah Kaldwin ---

That has some very interesting implications, but I'm not sure if this thread is the right place to talk about them.
i'd say it's exactly the right place to be talking about it - from what i understand we've got most of the backdrop regarding delilah that we're going to get (brigmore witches apparently poses more questions than it answers about her) and with how this thread has been going we'll probably find some new and hilarious joke by just talking more, so.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Hannibal Rex posted:

--- Delilah Kaldwin ---

Judging by the pictures of the released collector's edition yes, that would in fact be the obvious answer.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Right, then, so full spoilers ahead.

In the Daud DLC, there was always this missing part to Delilah's backstory. You learn that she grew up in the palace and was a friend of Jessamine, but you never really find out what caused her to be disgraced, and why she's doing what she does, unless you assume she's simply power-hungry.

Being Jessamine Kaldwin's half-sister explains so much, especially considering that Emily herself should be an illegitimate child, as far as we know. I'm really a little surprised that this revelation blind-sided me this way, but then again, I never expected Delilah to make an appearance again, outside of what's in the DLC.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Considering how vulnerable to coups Dunwall's power structure seems to be, I'm half suspicious that her last name is a fabricated claim ala CK2

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
You haven't played the Brigmore Witches yet, but it's really the missing piece of the puzzle with which everything suddenly makes a lot more sense.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

It's a good tie-in because Delilah's power is equal to or greater than the powers demonstrated by the game's main characters. She's a serious threat, and probably one that the Outsider has an issue or two with.

I don't think she's actually marked either. I never played Brigmore. I assume she draws her power similarly to the way Granny Rags did.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Both Granny Rags and Delilah have the mark.

The Outsider claims he doesn't play favorites, but he sets Daud on Delilah's trail, keeping him out of the way of Corvo for much of the main game. It's a bit of a loose end why Thalia Timsh saw Delilah painting Daud's name during that seance, but the most obvious conclusion is that the Outsider gave Delilah Daud's name as well, and is directly responsible for setting them on a collision course.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
He's an agent of chaos. Put two badasses with different agendas on a collision course, and you should at least see something interesting.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Pretty sure every single human in the setting that expresses magical powers has been touched by the outsider, either directly through his mark or through being taught by someone bearing said mark. There aren't any exceptions, at least as far as we know.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Coolguye posted:

Considering how vulnerable to coups Dunwall's power structure seems to be

Lunethex posted:

It's a good tie-in because Delilah's power is equal to or greater than the powers demonstrated by the game's main characters. She's a serious threat, and probably one that the Outsider has an issue or two with.
I wonder how vulnerable to coups the Outsider's power structure is, and if we are building up to the cataclysmic event that destroys him and creates a new entity.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Hannibal Rex posted:

especially considering that Emily herself should be an illegitimate child, as far as we know.

I feel that it's pretty clear that illegitimacy really isn't a thing when you are the empress though. There isn't, as far as I can remember, a single time it is mentioned in an unfavourable light.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Lunethex posted:

I don't think she's actually marked either. I never played Brigmore. I assume she draws her power similarly to the way Granny Rags did.

Both Delilah and Granny Rags have the Mark, confirmed through canonical material. The former tells you so in-game during Brigmore, the latter is confirmed through a companion book.

Thesaya posted:

I feel that it's pretty clear that illegitimacy really isn't a thing when you are the empress though. There isn't, as far as I can remember, a single time it is mentioned in an unfavourable light.

The intimate relationship between Corvo and the Empress is basically an open secret among the aristocracy and nobody really cares.

grack fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 27, 2016

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

grack posted:

The intimate relationship between Corvo and the Empress is basically an open secret among the aristocracy and nobody really cares.

Well to be fair no one cares until it could get them power, I could see it being used in a powerplay especially if they "Neutralise" teleporty mc staberson (Corvo)

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

grack posted:

I liked the way it was represented in the core game, where it was both heavily implied yet left ambiguous. Bit sad to see that gone, but it's a necessity if you're giving Corvo a voice and personality distinct of the player.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

If it was ambiguous it's only because nobody made Corvo take a (whale oil based) paternity test during the game.

grack fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 28, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

jessamine had no husband and spent a lot of time behind closed doors with her Royal Protector and seemed to like him a lot for various reasons and yet somehow had a daughter she treasured deeply so uh yeah i'm pretty sure most anyone with two brain cells to rub together could do that particular addition problem

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Also Emily draws a picture of Corvo and prints "DADDY" in big block letters on the top and leaves it for him.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

def true in game, i was referring to in universe though

i mean i'm not exactly a clairvoyant but those tea leaves are pretty clear

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The Outsider gives people power and its up to them more or less to use it as they want. If they're so inclined they can give that power to followers. Which, assuming that he doesn't visit Emily, is how she gets her powers. It's unclear if all purpose outsider worship grants powers, his indirect favor, or what. As far as we know, everyone with magical powers has the outsiders mark or is a follower of someone with the mark or if there are rituals to gain the favor of the void. Granny Rags turned her cameo into a phylactery, but we have no idea of its a magic ritual or the outsider finds the ritual amusing or what. It kinda feels like the outsider makes splatbooks for his followers to gain access too and everyone else in the world is stuck with the core book.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

SpookyLizard posted:

It's unclear if all purpose outsider worship grants powers
Sokolov is pretty good evidence it doesn't. If there was a way to obtain magic, he would have likely accomplished it through some ritual or another. He's gone to any and every length to do this. Didn't he even go to Pandyssia to attempt to gain power and favour from the Outsider? Given all this, I'm pretty sure that the only thing stopping him from having magic is the Outsider, who thinks he's kinda boring. Worship is not enough. Knowledge is not enough. What you need is to be interesting.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

TheDarkFlame posted:

Sokolov is pretty good evidence it doesn't. If there was a way to obtain magic, he would have likely accomplished it through some ritual or another. He's gone to any and every length to do this. Didn't he even go to Pandyssia to attempt to gain power and favour from the Outsider? Given all this, I'm pretty sure that the only thing stopping him from having magic is the Outsider, who thinks he's kinda boring. Worship is not enough. Knowledge is not enough. What you need is to be interesting.

Exactly. The Outsider gives you his mark, turns you loose, and sits back in his Lay-Z-Boy with a bag of popcorn and watches the fireworks.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, you can't force the Outsider to give you anything. He has to decide he likes you of his own volition. Doing chants and rituals doesn't mean much to him, though he does seem to have given some of his power to people who make charms out of whale bones (then again, whales are literally magical in this setting). Of course, we most often find bone charms on the bodies of people driven mad by them, so it looks like having power you weren't given isn't healthy for you either...

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Makes me wonder since the overseers say there are tons of spirits and the Outsider is just the worst. Perhaps there are other ways to get power, through being who might like worship but hate interesting or whatever

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

All I know is I am excited for Dishonored 2, though since I already ordered I can't buy the Collector's Edition because it'd be a waste :(

(Even then, the CEs are often not even available for PC releases, unless things have changed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, Sokolov is desperately trying to talk to the outsider, who thinks he's boring. Buy people find bone charms and runes and build shrine a to the outsider all the time. I wonder if the madness is a side effect of playing with trinkets that aren't yours, some latent effect of whale magic, lingering in the bone, or some latent madness the outsider approves of, or what. Or do crazy people just love those weird charms and runes?

• Locked thread