Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
This talk of Stonewall reminds me of when I stumbled across a 1996 BBC movie that also is somewhat about the same event. It has a small-town rural white guy moving to New York, but it's less about him specifically than about a Hispanic drag queen named La Miranda whom he ends up falling for. I'm not sure if Emmerich was cribbing specifically from this movie when he made his Stonewall, but I know he sure did a worse job than the 1996 film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Spark That Bled posted:

This talk of Stonewall reminds me of when I stumbled across a 1996 BBC movie that also is somewhat about the same event. It has a small-town rural white guy moving to New York, but it's less about him specifically than about a Hispanic drag queen named La Miranda whom he ends up falling for. I'm not sure if Emmerich was cribbing specifically from this movie when he made his Stonewall, but I know he sure did a worse job than the 1996 film.

This one? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_(1995_film)

quote:

Stonewall is a 1995 British-American historical comedy-drama film directed by Nigel Finch, his final film before his AIDS-related death shortly after filming ended. Inspired by the memoir of the same title by openly homosexual historian Martin Duberman, Stonewall is a fictionalized account of the weeks leading up to the Stonewall riots, a seminal event in the modern American gay rights movement. The film stars Guillermo Díaz, Frederick Weller, Brendan Corbalis, and Duane Boutte.

While the film is a work of fiction, Finch makes the unusual directorial choice of including documentary-style interview footage with several people who were at the Stonewall Inn during the uprising. Finch also intersperses lip synch numbers performed by the actors throughout the film to function as something of a Greek chorus.

This does look very interesting, Nigel Finch is regarded as the father of British Gay cinema so its almost certainly a lot better than Emmerich's film. I doubt he cribbed from the film but it is possible that he used the same source material and took in another direction.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Forgall posted:

File this under "men terrified of being treated same way as they treat women".

Hbomberguy posted:

Unfortunately, they don't. In fact they often shame men for being weak enough to 'allow themselves' to be raped.

But when someone female talks about their experiences or deeper problems with our society's approach to these issues, their hearts spontaneously bleed for the poor male victims whose voices aren't being heard enough.

If they actually obsessed about this issue, they might eventually do something about it.

Yeah I don't mean "obsessed" as in "genuinely concerned", more like "fixated on the idea of it." They don't understand male/male rape as what it actually is - a symptom of toxic masculinity - and instead understand it as a Gay Guy problem of Evil Gay People assaulting straight men. (This is despite the weird understanding under toxic masculinity that being the penetrative partner means that you're not gay, and the receptive partner *is* gay. Lot of contradictions going on here.) Also, you know, the fact that most rapists identify as straight and being an outwardly gay/queer person in a hostile environment means that you're far more likely to be the victim of sexual assault than the perpetrator of it.

But you know, that would require understanding studies and stats.

Spark That Bled posted:

I had a couple of people bring this up! I wanted to watch the movie before I reviewed Emmerich's Stonewall so I could compare, but couldn't get hold of it. It does sound like it was a better film though, and it was also made 20 years earlier so that means I would hold it to slightly different standards. Since I have so many things to review I don't really like to double up/review movies that are too similar to each other, unless I can combine them into one review, so I'm definitely not going to do a full video on 1995 Stonewall now, although it would be interesting to watch it.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

OldMemes posted:

My local art cinema has their monthly bad film night, and the film was The Howling 2: Your Sister is a Werewolf. After Lupa and Spoony's reviews I had to go see it.

It's as hilariously bad as they made it out to be.

The only real "Art Cinema" in my town almost exclusively plays amazing schlock. Apropos, Lupa, have you seen "Pterodactyl Woman from Beverly Hills". I saw it as a double feature with a movie I can not remember the tittle of but was actually the film I had some high hopes for. This one ended up stealing the show even though I had no initial interest in it. I think you could do a great review of it, if you haven't already that is.

Holy moly. "President Obama (who may be a queer himself)" loving lol. This guy needs a giant I'm gay SA filter.

If you ever need something not absolutely horrible to review I would love to see your take on "loving Åmål". Maybe a Comparison between it and it's later more depressing but equally "being a queer teenager in a Scandinavian bumfuck town" male equivalent; "Mannen som elsket Yngve".

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Sarcopenia posted:

Holy moly. "President Obama (who may be a queer himself)" loving lol. This guy needs a giant I'm gay SA filter.

If you ever need something not absolutely horrible to review I would love to see your take on "loving Åmål". Maybe a Comparison between it and it's later more depressing but equally "being a queer teenager in a Scandinavian bumfuck town" male equivalent; "Mannen som elsket Yngve".

I haven't seen the latter film, but I've definitely seen loving Åmål! I recommended it in my "best first queer movies" roundup list. I might do a full review on it later but I am notoriously slow at getting around to reviewing most of the things on my list.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Kunster posted:

The only qualm I might have about Regular Car Reviews is the video where he goes to a gaming convention and there's a still for like 9 minutes where he starts gargling like some sort of gonzo journalist about the state of some small time game convention, where he sorta goes beyond just "heh, cars".

Sorta removed some stuff about his past, felt it would be unfair on the judgement here.

Uh, he's stated and shown through his work that his list of influences is pretty much just a list repeating Hunter S Thompson in various increasing font sizes. Complaining that he's trying too hard to be gonzo is a very weird complaint to make.

I don't know anything about his past, particularly though so idk where you were going with that.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Uh, he's stated and shown through his work that his list of influences is pretty much just a list repeating Hunter S Thompson in various increasing font sizes. Complaining that he's trying too hard to be gonzo is a very weird complaint to make.

I don't know anything about his past, particularly though so idk where you were going with that.

all of his Porsche reviews are done in a joking Hunter S. Thompson impression too

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Infamous Sphere posted:

I haven't seen the latter film, but I've definitely seen loving Åmål! I recommended it in my "best first queer movies" roundup list. I might do a full review on it later but I am notoriously slow at getting around to reviewing most of the things on my list.

I totally remember that now! But I would recommend you seeing "Mannen som elsket Yngve" (The man who loved Yngve) before and if you choose to do a full review. I'll offer to aid you with whatever Norwegian or Swedish you meet but I warn you that I'm incurably the worst kind of Scand... The Dane :negative:

Alaois posted:

all of his Porsche reviews are done in a joking Hunter S. Thompson impression too

Edit; I don't care much about where, why or how this guy is, but he's managed to make me actually care and learn something about cars which I thought absolutely impossible.

Sarcopenia fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 24, 2016

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Since he deleted quite a bunch of his past work, such somewhat involved being invited by pals to dorky cons to hang out and he would write treatises in this detached, I Am Too Cool For This Fashion ranting about going to them while on sunglasses and a leather jacket on his Harvey, like if he's trying to impress Gavin McVinnes at Vice years ago or some poo poo, and on how despite being there, he was totally not into Dorky poo poo.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I'm sure the guy who makes Undertale references in his car review show feels like he's "too good" for gaming conventions

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Alaois posted:

I'm sure the guy who makes Undertale references in his car review show feels like he's "too good" for gaming conventions

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Even more than that, he makes pretty constant references to everything from Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts to Metal Gear. Plus, for all the joking in the AE86 review, he's made mention of loving Initial D before and afterwards.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I just have some baggage with the material he used to pull years ago, and I just don't wanna see him revert back to his old self, that's all.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Sarcopenia posted:

I totally remember that now! But I would recommend you seeing "Mannen som elsket Yngve" (The man who loved Yngve) before and if you choose to do a full review. I'll offer to aid you with whatever Norwegian or Swedish you meet but I warn you that I'm incurably the worst kind of Scand... The Dane :negative:

Thanks! Yeah, it sounds like they'd make a good compare/contrast.
I think I've only watched one Danish LGBT movie and it was this. Good for trigger warning trilogy, but I haven't done one of those in a while.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Kunster posted:

I just have some baggage with the material he used to pull years ago, and I just don't wanna see him revert back to his old self, that's all.

Kunster see it this way. I've never, ever understood people who in this very thread weirdly insisted on you being terrible, but I never ever got why. Maybe you should let this guy have the same benefit of doubt with people who weren't part of what ever happened whenever. :shrug:

Btw, would anyone be slightly interested in a retrospective/review/ of Scandinavian cinema? Like Denmark kind of invented Hollywood before Hollywood, and I've been thinking about making something with that as a starting point and then telling why, how and when it went downhill.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
That would be really interesting! Also since it would be from a Danish perspective, as opposed to English/American/Australian/non-Scandi people talking about Scandinavian stuff

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Infamous Sphere posted:

That would be really interesting! Also since it would be from a Danish perspective, as opposed to English/American/Australian/non-Scandi people talking about Scandinavian stuff

That's what I was I was thinking. I haven't really seen that many Scandinavian movie perspectives.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
If I may An Internet Critic for a moment:

Saw Ghostbusters at the drive-in. Based on the trailers I thought it would be toilet-humor dumbshit. I'm glad to say I was wrong. I laughed several times, enjoyed the adventure story (though felt the final boss battle was a bit too easy). In an alternate universe, where this was the one and only GB movie released, I'm sure it'd be well loved.

If you're on the fence because of the trailers, it's worth seeing. You probably could wait to rent it from Blockbuster on VHS, if you don't like cinema fees.

Room full of nightmares. lol.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

lornekates posted:

If I may An Internet Critic for a moment:

Saw Ghostbusters at the drive-in. Based on the trailers I thought it would be toilet-humor dumbshit. I'm glad to say I was wrong. I laughed several times, enjoyed the adventure story (though felt the final boss battle was a bit too easy). In an alternate universe, where this was the one and only GB movie released, I'm sure it'd be well loved.

If you're on the fence because of the trailers, it's worth seeing. You probably could wait to rent it from Blockbuster on VHS, if you don't like cinema fees.

Room full of nightmares. lol.

No., no, no, too embracing, I think you meant;
"Wow, I just watched this amazing, hot piece of garbage called "Ghost Busters II" Don't ruin the amazing legacy of the 100% original sequel of GB after this!!!!"

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Sarcopenia posted:

No., no, no, too embracing, I think you meant;
"Wow, I just watched this amazing, hot piece of garbage called "Ghost Busters II" Don't ruin the amazing legacy of the 100% original sequel of GB after this!!!!"

#AllCarpathiansMatter

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Infamous Sphere posted:

Yes! Let me recommend some MRE/ration reviewers for the thread!

Kiwidude - who is a Kiwi, and I believe a civilian. Reviews rations from all over the world, and most notably, at the end of most videos he gets his child to try them. She is probably the least fussy 4-6 year old I've ever seen, I haven't seen her dislike anything yet. Here's a shortish review to start with, of a Polish ration.

Gschultz - who is American, and is/was previously in the army? Mostly reviews MREs but there are a couple of reviews of international rations. He's notable because he has an intensely soothing voice. Here's one from his MRE basics series.

Also Emmymadeinjapan is a general food reviewer and she's done a few MRE reviews.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a weird obsession with this stuff

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
I did a couple of food reviews BTW, they're in my "other oddments" playlist.
Not quite as soothing as other people's though, but oh well.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also for MRE/Rations/whatever dudes I like all of those and would throw in Gundog, he does international stuff too as well as normal MREs, and he's pretty casual about it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7dAKknI_zWUNcz36T0Lp6w

Steve1989 is also cool because he gets a lot of unique/old ones, and that's always entertaining. I think he's given himself food poisoning a few times.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2I6Et1JkidnnbWgJFiMeHA

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
drat, you can get views for MRE reviews? I should of done that when I bought a few boxes a few years ago. I was in the delayed entry program for the marines and those were the highlights for me when we did our monthly physical training exercises (turns out I'm an asthmatic so welp guess that career didn't take off) Matter of fact I still go this picture trying out I think some vegetarian BBQ meal

My cat liked it :3:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My binge watch of Best of the Worst continues. They really need to do an episode on video game movies from the 90s. They did Double Dragon, but I want to see them take on something like Street Fighter.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Arcsquad12 posted:

My binge watch of Best of the Worst continues. They really need to do an episode on video game movies from the 90s. They did Double Dragon, but I want to see them take on something like Street Fighter.

So,how far along are you,by chance?

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Also for MRE/Rations/whatever dudes I like all of those and would throw in Gundog, he does international stuff too as well as normal MREs, and he's pretty casual about it.

Steve1989 is also cool because he gets a lot of unique/old ones, and that's always entertaining. I think he's given himself food poisoning a few times.

I would also recommend Steve1989. My favourite reviews of his are, just from purely historical perspective:

The American Civil War hardtack cracker (yes, he ate a +100 years old cracker):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga5JrN9DrVI

The 1943 WW2 RAF emergency ration, (which include a powerful methamphetamine tablet, which is meant to be use as an emergency energy tablet ) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DykpMcrVtR0

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

VolticSurge posted:

So,how far along are you,by chance?

I just finished the Future War episode, where Mike and Rich fought over a novelty oversized flask while a guy's junk got caught in a band-saw.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I haven't watched Steve1989, I think I saw a tiny bit of one Gundog video and it wasn't grabbing me, just his voice wasn't as soothingly chill as GSchultz I guess, but I ought to give him another go. I got into the MRE reviews via Ashens. It's kind of funny for me watching some of the ones where they review French/German rations and can't read the instructions, and I'm sitting there going "it says consumer a froid!"
Mike J did some but he sort of...reviewed them wrongly/from the perspective of someone who knows nothing about rations, so he ended up trying to make an MRE last an entire day because he didn't know it was just one meal, and also a lot of the rations he had for his "week eating only rations" were these survival rations that were basically just blocks of pure carbohydrate and sugars and vitamins. Also his French ration had ostrich in it, which is...rather left-of-field for a military ration.

Leal posted:

drat, you can get views for MRE reviews? I should of done that when I bought a few boxes a few years ago. I was in the delayed entry program for the marines and those were the highlights for me when we did our monthly physical training exercises (turns out I'm an asthmatic so welp guess that career didn't take off) Matter of fact I still go this picture trying out I think some vegetarian BBQ meal

There's an audience on the internet for a heck of a lot of different things, but one thing it does tend to require is a shitload of commitment. You gotta crank out those MRE reviews, you can't just do like...two.
That said there's three kinds of MRE videos out there. There's the ones where people carefully unpack them and talk about all the components and then try them, the ones where people who don't know anything about them eat them, and the ones that people in the military film of their buddies eating them. I found ones of people trying the notorious cheese omelette - lots of retching.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
We used to get MREs for backpacking, our local WinCo actually sells them both together and split up in the bulk section so you can, for instance, buy just the tubes of delicious jalapeno cheese spread. The omelette is totally overblown, it's really not that bad at all, the texture is really suspect and not great but it mostly just tastes like nothing and vague hints of cheese, like if you added cheese and salt to some raw tofu or something. I think it was the Japanese ones I mentioned in a thread we had on here a while back about MREs. Those were the worst I've ever had, supposedly they have replaced them since then, but the old ones were clearly over oiled just so they could pack them full of calories. Everything was swimming in a vaguely sesame flavored bath of grease and it ended in terrible, unpleasant rear end destroying squirtpoops in a way that Taco Bell could only dream of doing.

But no seriously that jalapeno cheese spread is amazing I just have it around my house sometimes and I will eat it on some crustini, ritz or whatever, it's the best.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
Stuart Ashen did a review of Estonian rations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znmo1dMXerc

He's mentioned plans on doing more rations/MRE videos, but this is the only one so far.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

If you guys like MREs, we actually have a thread for eating/reviewing MREs that spawned off from the Anti Food Porn thread.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Holy poo poo, the Best of the Worst episode with Max Landis and cult leader Macaulay Culkin.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

For someone skimming this thread. what's the difference between an MRE and an MRA? tia

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

For someone skimming this thread. what's the difference between an MRE and an MRA? tia

MRE: Meals Ready to Eat

MRA: Men's Rights Activist

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm finally getting tired of Devin Faraci. His latest creepy tweets are just to whine about women who don't like Hillary Clinton, and to call himself the true representative of women in the face of twitter critics! This is just his abusive personality surfacing again, just like his old misogynist rant about that pleasing that stranger's wife better. And it's happening more and more often; I actualy used to really like his website and writing and now his increasing bursts of rage on twitter have permanently turned me off.

Corek fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 27, 2016

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Women would only consider eating one of those.

:v:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Corek posted:

I'm finally tired of Devin Faraci. His latest creepy tweetstorm is to whine about women who don't like Hillary Clinton, and to call himself the true representative of women in the face of twitter critics! This is just his abusive personality surfacing again, just like his misogynist rant about that pleasing that stranger's wife better. And it's happening more and more often; I actualy used to really like his website and now his increasing bursts of rage on twitter have permanently turned me off.

All I've heard regarding Faraci lately is that he compared Sausage Party to Blazing Saddles, which I think alone would be enough to dissuade anyone from listening to his opinion.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

One is bland while the other is disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

One serves a functional purpose in modern society, the other doesn't.

• Locked thread