Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mehall
Aug 27, 2010

This is a sizeable radius around Scotland's biggest city, where I've filtered out Pidgey, Rattatta, Sparrow and Zubat.

Biggest and busiest city.

C'mon Niantic, buff the spawn rates a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Dang this is totally anecdotal but i lucky egg'd to level 17 and since then I've been like 1 catch for 20 escapes for naturally spawning mons, and >90% catch on lured mons. Everything was razzed. Is this a thing?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For me, it absolutely is. I barely ever had anything below CP100 escape when I started, and now it takes 2-3 balls even to catch a CP56 Pidgey. Something has changed.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

mehall posted:

This is a sizeable radius around Scotland's biggest city, where I've filtered out Pidgey, Rattatta, Sparrow and Zubat.

Biggest and busiest city.

C'mon Niantic, buff the spawn rates a bit.

Okay so this inspired me to go get the iOS version of a poke radar.

It's saying there's a few Dragonite near my house???? Could be faked but still.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Escobarbarian posted:

For me, it absolutely is. I barely ever had anything below CP100 escape when I started, and now it takes 2-3 balls even to catch a CP56 Pidgey. Something has changed.

Yeah i heard that but I'm still catching lured mons very easily. The park by my office has 5 overlapping stops that are permalured and basically everything was caught in one or two throws, mostly one. I'm just wondering if there actually is a difference between "wild" and lured mons, or if this is a monster luck streak.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Monday_ posted:

The only thing better than catching a Snorlax is catching one on the first ball.

I did this.

Was in the passenger seat of the car on the way home from the park where there's a couple lures going most evenings, a CP ??? Snorlax spawns in the driveway on our way out. I laugh, thinking, welp, no way in hell I get this one. Throw a single pity pokeball.

The motherfucker catches. 850 Snorlax chilling in my inventory. My next highest was like 400.

I about lost my mind.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Just picked up my first Snorlax (1850) on the first throw. Could not be more excited. He's called Big Daddy.

Does anyone else name their Pokemon? I know a dozen or so other players personally and I'm the only one who does it.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I finally got Python & Pip working on my machine.

It seems my installation was somewhat hosed up because do-release-upgrade breakage. The solution for me (in this Ubuntu machine) was to use the get-pip option instead of using apt-get. Trying to have a good installation of pip with apt-get alone was not possible.

$ curl "https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py" -o "get-pip.py"
$ sudo -H python get-pip.py

tei@estela:~/pip$ pip -V
pip 8.1.2 from /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (python 2.7)

Now I have to remember the password I used in my alternate Pokemon Account. I tried the "forgot password" option, but It ask for the birth date,and I don't remember it. It seems I will have to create a new account. This "forgot password" implementation is completely anal.

Getting the Google Maps API key was a bit complicated but I did at first try.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Just picked up my first Snorlax (1850) on the first throw. Could not be more excited. He's called Big Daddy.

Does anyone else name their Pokemon? I know a dozen or so other players personally and I'm the only one who does it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sanford posted:

They have no souls.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Sanford posted:

I named my first Pidgeot "Bird Jesus", but after knowing that I am the only one that see the names I stooped doing it.

If they add some "friend" or "team" system I guest our friends will be allowed to see the name, I will go back to that.

Tei fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jul 27, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

And now I'm debating on doing the Power Leveling with my current mons. On one end, it'll probably get me some better mons at 11 or so. But on the other, a chance I could catch or hatch the same mon.

Do I just suck it up due to having just 11 Pokeballs?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

widespread posted:

And now I'm debating on doing the Power Leveling with my current mons. On one end, it'll probably get me some better mons at 11 or so. But on the other, a chance I could catch or hatch the same mon.

Do I just suck it up due to having just 11 Pokeballs?

The way the game is designed, 11 is nothing. But if you live in a place with not pokestops there very little you can do.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Sanford posted:

My friend has a Snorlax named ILoveBigMacs.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Tei posted:

The way the game is designed, 11 is nothing. But if you live in a place with not pokestops there very little you can do.

I'm not rural, thankfully. I could just walk to three pokestops and a gym so I'm good. Plus around work has four stops and a gym. And other driving shenanigans.

This means I should egg level, right.

widespread fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 27, 2016

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

umm

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Do any of the Pokemon alert apps work without getting you banned?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You could try use the official...

The Pokémon GO Plus accessory will now be released in September 2016 instead of the originally expected end of July launch date. Thanks for your patience, trainers.

Ahahahah nevermind

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Olothreutes posted:

My friend has a Snorlax named ILoveBigMacs.

A nearby city has a Pokemon gym at the Fatih mosque. I walked by it yesterday and it had 4x Snorlax guarding it...

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

SynthOrange posted:

You could try use the official...

The Pokémon GO Plus accessory will now be released in September 2016 instead of the originally expected end of July launch date. Thanks for your patience, trainers.

Ahahahah nevermind

They sold out of preorders almost immediately on the UK site, and have no plans to release any subsequent batches right now according to the email I got. Good poo poo right there!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

They were open for pre-orders? :(

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Nettle Soup posted:

They were open for pre-orders? :(

For about 10 minutes.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

~·::42::·~ ~·::42::·~ ~·::42::·~ ~·::42::·~ ~·::42::·~ ~·::42::·~ ~·::42::·~ ~·::42::·~ ~·::42::·~ ~·::42::·~ ~·::42::·~ ~·::42::·~

The question was:
"¿Quien entra por las noches y se mete en la cama de mi hija y la ha dejado preñada, porque estoy seguro que no ha sido el espiritu santo?"

~·::42::·~ ~·::42::·~ ~·::42::·~ ~·::42::·~ ~·::42::·~ ~·::42::·~ ~·::42::·~ ~·::42::·~ ~·::42::·~ ~·::42::·~ ~·::42::·~ ~·::42::·~

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
So I gave up on my dumb principles and got the apk here in Israel. Lots of Voltorbs and Magnemites, some Meowths and the usual urban vermin. Also a Jigglypuff. The area around me seems to be Mystic country.

Oh, and toooons of pokestops. I have all the balls I'll ever need.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Zanzibar Ham posted:

here in Israel. I have all the balls I'll ever need.

I'm not surprised. All my friends go there for partying and cruising.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I see.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do spawns sometimes last less than 15 minutes, or is Pokevision suddenly telling me "oh yeah this rare pokemon you want is only there for two minutes even though you've been refreshing frequently for the past half an hour" a bug with the site?

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Anecdotal, but some rare pokemon have sub-15 minute timers. Saw a Scyther pop up in the same location with 7 minutes two days in a row. Seen a Bulbasaur with 4 minutes.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

There are totally some sub-15 minute spawns. I do loops around Lake Ella, which is 0.6 miles. I was making the loop every 10 minutes, and saw a Slowbro de-spawn right as it popped up on my map.

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012
Today I finally reached level 13 but have to say leveling up Pokemons get pretty expensive most of them take now 2 candies and 1300 dust minimum. How do you guys level up your creatures? Focusing on one and make it CP1000+ or just level all of them evenly?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Honestly they should have had spawns be a blanket area of the map and have it be defined by topography and give the Pokemon seasons where they pop in certain areas more than others. Use weather/seasons/time to determine what's arohnd. Maybe use XM data to give a bonus to heavily dense areas because why not but turning suburbs and forests and a thing that isn't a city into a desolate wasteland is stupid.

Pokemon should persist like real animals instead of randomly spawning and despawning. They have a habitat zone they walk around, and they can hide. Some pokemon are attracted to people, most hide from people. If someone shouts "There's a Gyrados over here!" and 500 people run over... it flees. You have to take a small group to capture it, and use items that help you sneak up on it or lure it out. You can get trap items designed for certain types of pokemon and leave them in areas where you think a Pokemon might come by. If people overhunt/overfish an area, there will be fewer pokemon there for a period of time. Pokemon are distributed across geographic areas. Some pokemon are only found in the pacific northwest. You literally can't find a water pokemon in the desert. Some can only be caught after dark. Some pokemon have migration patterns and there are a few hotspots where trainers can witness their return like the swallows returning to Capistrano.

I'm sure most people would hate it, because it would be way harder to catch them all, especially if you can't/never travel (trading would help). I think it would be awesome.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

sagacious posted:

Today I finally reached level 13 but have to say leveling up Pokemons get pretty expensive most of them take now 2 candies and 1300 dust minimum. How do you guys level up your creatures? Focusing on one and make it CP1000+ or just level all of them evenly?

I focused on one to be my gymbuster and for the rest I am just relying on the high CP Pokemon I capture in the wild. If I had invested in other Pokemon it would have been probably a bit of a waste at this point.

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

I focused on one to be my gymbuster and for the rest I am just relying on the high CP Pokemon I capture in the wild. If I had invested in other Pokemon it would have been probably a bit of a waste at this point.

Thought that would be the better option. Specially now that common pokemon like Pidgey are CP200+.
Thanks for the help man.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
Hatched four eggs in the past two days.

Weedle
Pidgey
Rattata
Rattata

I think I'm cursed.

Poop Cupcake
Dec 31, 2005

Is there any more information about how the Plus accessory is supposed to work? I was thinking about getting one, but some posters in this thread were saying that the game would need to be left open the entire time while it was connected to the Plus. If that's the case, what's the point of it? The screen frequently stops responding for me after it turns back on from battery saver mode, forcing a restart (and about half the time it won't log back in because the servers are on fire). It crashes when I switch apps, too, so it's kind if impossible to play and do anything else with the phone.

I was under the impression there would be some kind of background service running that would occasionally ping the GPS data and check to see what's around to send that info over to the Plus without having the game actually running on-screen.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

sagacious posted:

don't level up guys yet. Wait until leveling up becomes really slow at or around 20. Dust is really really scarce and you'll want it for when you get really good gym guys. The only time you'd really want to use dust that low is if you have a guy with really good IVs (ignore this part of you're not a poopsocker)

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

sagacious posted:

Don't ever level your pokemon before level 20. smh

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Bird Law posted:

Hatched four eggs in the past two days.

Weedle
Pidgey
Rattata
Rattata

I think I'm cursed.

Hasn't been that bad for me, but except for my 10k egg that hatched a Kabuto, I've never hatched an egg that wasn't something I already have, and I only have 50 pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I don't understand the IV thing at all. Can't you just tell by looking at the CP, HP, and Move type/strength to see if it's good?

I had a Pokemon that was probably the best one I had, the IV checker said that it was okay. Like top 75%. So then I pump some stardust into it to make it closer to maxed out, and then I check the IVs again and it says it's almost perfect. So what's the point of checking the IVs if you can just use stardust to max them out and make them perfect?

padijun posted:

hello fellow coast-dweller

Chicago here. I guess that's along a coast, kind of...

And seriously, everyone just download the PokemonGo Desktop App

https://github.com/mchristopher/PokemonGo-DesktopMap/releases

I don't know a thing about programming, was able to get it running. I now get push notifications to my desktop for when Pokemon show up around me. It works pretty drat great.

Is there any way to limit the scan areas? I live a couple blocks away from a freeway, and it loves to notify me of stuff that is not possible to reach during the time limit since it's on the other side.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 27, 2016

• Locked thread