Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Wallet posted:

Wasn't someone complaining about this two pages ago?

malhavok posted:

I was complaining in guildchat about it a couple days ago. Now i can clear all those recipes i have because i was too lazy to hunt down the char who could use them.

Might've been me, or you're confusing what I said for it. Hopefully the recipe I bought is in the crafting tab :x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
This Rise nerf is bullshit

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

This Rise nerf is bullshit

oh gently caress. I like that for PvP.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

What did they nerf on Rise?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

What did they nerf on Rise?

“Rise!”: Reduced the damage reduction from 50% to 33%. Decreased the health of shambling horrors by 25%. Minions now have 20% reduced toughness.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Mizuti posted:

Marjory had a run-in with the marketing department.

That is a mess.

Mairn
Jan 6, 2011
Has anyone unlocked the Bloodstone Crown from the meta-achivement yet? Is it just the skin?

Did that add any new rewards to fractals or is it still just gold + low chance at ascended?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't rise being as powerful as it was let necros do some really silly poo poo

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

“Rise!”: Reduced the damage reduction from 50% to 33%. Decreased the health of shambling horrors by 25%. Minions now have 20% reduced toughness.

Well drat.

I never played HoT necro so I have no idea if this was needed or not, was Rise overpowered or is Anet just vindictive?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Cool, new stuff. I've been meaning to jump back into GW2 for a while and this seems like as good a time as any.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Well drat.

I never played HoT necro so I have no idea if this was needed or not, was Rise overpowered or is Anet just vindictive?

Necro as a class is kinda ridiculous, I have a hard time caring about this.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think 'rise' was very much on the 'super powerful' end of things

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Generic Octopus posted:

Necro as a class is kinda ridiculous, I have a hard time caring about this.

It's always seemed mega powerful but I also don't want to be judgmental about a class I don't know much about anymore!!

Mairn
Jan 6, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's always seemed mega powerful but I also don't want to be judgmental about a class I don't know much about anymore!!

In PvE I doubt it will have an effect... it might do bad things for the playability of Reaper in PvP though.
I wish they would have just reworked the skill instead of nerfing it so hard that it is basically useless in a ton of situations though.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Well drat.

It was glorious, like a return to the magical days of gw1 overpowered faceroll necro. I'd been waiting for this poo poo since launch and prophesying the return of it since beta.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Only time I used rise was roaming in wvw, even then it was of questionable use.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Look some of us are really bad at video games and need rise to be facerolling.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Can I just say gently caress Hearts and Minds? Wiped multiple loving times on the last loving updraft phase against Mordey. Got pegged by a boulder every single time.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

This is from the ANet dev AMA in Reddit:

quote:

Armor sets are by far the most expensive reward we can make. A full set includes heavy, medium, light, times five races, times two sexes, so it’s like developing 30 sets. It takes nine months to develop. (That’s for a normal armor set — legendary is much longer.) It’s not something we can do for Living World episodes. Individual pieces are good rewards for Living World episodes; full sets are more something for expansion packs.

Funny how they can still churn out outfits for the gemstore with a lightning speed. Put those devs towards working on armor sets instead.

For a game where armor skins are a major part of endgame progression we don't really get too many new choices nowadays.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

anet devs: 'armor takes a long to to make because we have to make it for everything'

us: 'just make outfits in pieces and have them not horribly clip with other sets'

anet devs: 'um'

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
You're clearly underestimating the amount of time it takes to load up the macro that stretches and squashes armor to fit Charr and Asura.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Developing "20 armorsets" is kind of overstating it when

Humans and sylvaris are identical
Norn are same but slightly larger

And then for asura and charr both genders have the same loving armor anyway.

So being generous here and assuming norn armor needs just so much more work it'd be something like 6 "whole" armorsets. Why it's almost the same amount of effort as an outfit!

Also I refuse to believe that Anet, an experienced mmo developer have not figured out how to map meshes to the various skeletons in a vaguely efficient manner. We've all seen the dumb stretched textures on giant norn and charr.

Xun fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 27, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
... 9 months for a single armor set?

I really hope they are restructuring with the new head of the company because they have always been glacial when it comes to content compared to every other major developer and all signs point to management problems.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hey sometimes those races get different armor pieces. Like uh, the one that is a skirt and stockings on humans, just a skirt on sylvari, and a skirt and tights on norn. I'm impressed if they actually pulled that off in only nine months.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I really hope they are restructuring with the new head of the company because they have always been glacial when it comes to content compared to every other major developer and all signs point to management problems.

I hope you don't think there's been any actual leadership change; the guy "temporarily" in Colin's shoes right now (Mike O'Brien) is the guy who has been/still is president & the last remaining co-founder of Anet. Granted since he's started paying attention again the content patches have gotten better.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

My whole team is in league with the enemy.

Doing the story instance Confessor's stronghold and in the first fight they do absolutely nothing while I do all the work. Are they afraid that NPC's would make the instance a steamroll or something? At least make them do something instead of just standing around like dumbasses.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 27, 2016

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
9 months for an armor set :laffo:

That's almost Star Citizen levels of competence right there.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

lucifirius posted:

Can I just say gently caress Hearts and Minds? Wiped multiple loving times on the last loving updraft phase against Mordey. Got pegged by a boulder every single time.

I don't know if it is by default, but if not, bind X to "about face." As soon as you see a boulder, hit it. Works every time. I went from raging at that fight after losing at that same spot half a dozen times to clearing it easily once I figured out that you could about face while gliding.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Can someone explain the consequences of the elementalist changes?
Were the changes justified and brought elementalist in line with the other classes or is elementalist now a weak class?

The official elementalist forums seems to think the world is ending but people being emotional about MMO class changes is nothing new. Seeing as i am fairly inexperienced it is easy to listen to such posts and treat it as truth. I even caught myself thinking about playing a different class yesterday.

Do i need to care if i play a Fresh Air Auramancer, primarily do map meta events and solo pve? (and would like to start doing more fractals now that i have most masteries i am interested in)

I already felt fairly squishy even with primarily magi and cleric gear (very little oomph from the heals) and Wash The Pain Away feels even less oomphy now (even with all that healing gear)

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 27, 2016

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Oh did all of you idiots gently caress up minion master for me by suddenly playing it when HoT came out? :frogout:

Living Story 3: neat zone, story is fine, enemies are bullshit, NPCs are totally broken in several missions.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

lucifirius posted:

Might've been me, or you're confusing what I said for it. Hopefully the recipe I bought is in the crafting tab :x

Yeah, that's probably what I was remembering. I know someone was complaining about losing a recipe on a character or something.

Azazell0 posted:

This is from the ANet dev AMA in Reddit:

Funny how they can still churn out outfits for the gemstore with a lightning speed. Put those devs towards working on armor sets instead.

For a game where armor skins are a major part of endgame progression we don't really get too many new choices nowadays.

Maybe they mean it's nine months of man hours, rather than nine actual months? Of course, they could just be exiling a single dev to work on a single set of armor for nine months, which would explain why no one wants to do it. Seems particularly bizarre to claim that they're making 9 sets of armor though, when so many of them have, say, Asura's weird toes clipping through the boots—the toe clipping is even dumber because some sets just hide the foot mesh.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Judging by these sorts of excuses for the past year+, you have to think they had ten times as many people working on the game before release, otherwise all the existing armor sets alone would have taken literal years to develop...

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I haven't leveled a character since the revamp. I just used a 30 level scroll on my Revenant and spent my points on traits. Is it normal to have no underwater utility spells?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Ineptitude posted:

Can someone explain the consequences of the elementalist changes?
Were the changes justified and brought elementalist in line with the other classes or is elementalist now a weak class?

The official elementalist forums seems to think the world is ending but people being emotional about MMO class changes is nothing new. Seeing as i am fairly inexperienced it is easy to listen to such posts and treat it as truth. I even caught myself thinking about playing a different class yesterday.

Do i need to care if i play a Fresh Air Auramancer, primarily do map meta events and solo pve? (and would like to start doing more fractals now that i have most masteries i am interested in)

I already felt fairly squishy even with primarily magi and cleric gear (very little oomph from the heals) and Wash The Pain Away feels even less oomphy now (even with all that healing gear)

Fresh Air Auramancer (Water/Air) is mostly unaffected, aside from the Overload Air damage nerf. This style of gameplay didn't depend that much on the cooldowns fitting together.

The Wash The Pain Away nerf was also done reasonably.

The main issue is that the main DPS nerf was done in such a way that it strangled other off meta builds that were already on life support, namely D/D roamer, and killed the fun, fluid, and skill testing playstyle of the previous Staff and Fresh Air meta builds.

Also, most of the whining is for sPvP, which from above you can gather than support builds are now favored over DPS builds, and support builds became the favored role of Ele in sPvP, but whoops good bye useful amulets "go on, try a new fun damage build! It's diversity" thinks ANet *guts any reason to even bring Ele*.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Two questions:

1. Is patch good? I'm in the process of moving so I won't be able to actually download it until next week but if there's new living story and good fractal changes I'm in.

2. When did they add the 80 boost? I don't seem to remember it, but I wouldn't mind boosting a Necro or something.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Harrow posted:

Two questions:

1. Is patch good? I'm in the process of moving so I won't be able to actually download it until next week but if there's new living story and good fractal changes I'm in.

2. When did they add the 80 boost? I don't seem to remember it, but I wouldn't mind boosting a Necro or something.

1) Its good, especially for LS and the fractal changes.

2) Back in Spring iirc. You can test out any character with the boost as long as you stay in the Silverwastes. Then you can revert and try other characters or lock in your choice.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Wallet posted:

Yeah, that's probably what I was remembering. I know someone was complaining about losing a recipe on a character or something.

Maybe they mean it's nine months of man hours, rather than nine actual months? Of course, they could just be exiling a single dev to work on a single set of armor for nine months, which would explain why no one wants to do it. Seems particularly bizarre to claim that they're making 9 sets of armor though, when so many of them have, say, Asura's weird toes clipping through the boots—the toe clipping is even dumber because some sets just hide the foot mesh.

They do still have to make the armour sets though, it's not like they're just shoving a human armour piece onto an asura and that's why it's clipping.

9 months for 30 sets of armour is what, a week and a bit per suit? I'm no 3d artist but that seems within the realm of possibility - and I'd agree that they probably don't just give it all to one artist but you never know.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

1) Its good, especially for LS and the fractal changes.

2) Back in Spring iirc. You can test out any character with the boost as long as you stay in the Silverwastes. Then you can revert and try other characters or lock in your choice.

Neat, thanks.

Now to decide between boosting a Ranger or a Necro. I already have an 80 Mesmer and Elementalist. Hm.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

quote:

The problem with GW2 and I've talked to people in the decomp and datamining projects for it. Is that each body variation and skin type has it's own textures, A-Net didn't design it like say, Skyrim or another sensible game, where each race has only a single 3d model, texture, normal, and then various detail maps stuck to it. They designed each race variation as it's own entity with it's own meshes, textures and normals, and details attached to it. I means each one looks unique and incredible(Seriously check out the sylvari),
but it makes projects to modify them hard. Because you're looking at modifying at minimum, 5*10*4(3d asset, texture asset, normal asset, and a detail map) files, assuming each race only has 10 variations. It's why they have so much trouble adding new armor sets, especially for the beast races in the game. 

Directly from loverslab. Also I deny everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Chalks posted:

They do still have to make the armour sets though, it's not like they're just shoving a human armour piece onto an asura and that's why it's clipping.

9 months for 30 sets of armour is what, a week and a bit per suit? I'm no 3d artist but that seems within the realm of possibility - and I'd agree that they probably don't just give it all to one artist but you never know.

But it's one set of armour. If you say that is "30 sets" then you also have to say the original game launched with "1000+ sets" and that didn't take 30 years.

The sarcastic suggestion of them leaving it all to one person is that they framed an answer to a non-question in such a way to validate the outfit policy and dismiss the idea that armour sets is even an option.

• Locked thread