Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I'm reading elsewhere that backs it up. I thought he was just going to be relegated to TV and movies? What happened? I don't really think I like this. So is Didio out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It says right there that he's (reportedly) President of DC Entertainment with Diane Nelson, which is the outside media side. DC Comics publishers aren't necessarily effected.

e: If he drops out of being Creative Officer, he might have even less to do with the comics.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 27, 2016

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Madkal posted:

So Neal Adams considered bronze age?

Neal Adams is THE Bronze Age artist, especially for DC, which is why I didn't think of him when I was making that list. But, yeah, his earliest work at DC was in 1967, which is late Silver Age. That work is not his most influential stuff, but, yes, arguably Neal Adams was a Silver Age artist at DC.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think Gil Kane is my favorite Silver Age artist.

wombat74
Sep 30, 2005

Corporate Fat Cat

Rhyno posted:

I think Gil Kane is my favorite Silver Age artist.

It's funny, but whenever I think of Gil Kane I think of the art he did on the Power of the Atom which I think was the first I'd come across his stuff. That was early 80s(?) so it's hard for me to reconcile him as a silver age artist, as my memories of his work are firmly linked to immediately pre-crisis DC

Then there were his character designs for Centurions, but that's a different kettle of fish all together :)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Happy comics everybody!

I'm pretty sure some Nightwing pages were out of order on Comixology. How's the print? Also, pretty sure I'm dropping it till Monster Men :(

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Roth posted:

I feel like only David Tennant can compete with Geoff Johns for the title of "fanboy who has had all of his dreams fulfilled"

Maybe Joe Quesada.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Happy comics everybody!

I'm pretty sure some Nightwing pages were out of order on Comixology. How's the print? Also, pretty sure I'm dropping it till Monster Men :(

Why? Is it that bad?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Maybe I was in a mood, but I didn't want to read any more as it ended. Sorry Raptor, you shall remain a mystery.

Action Comics' art was atrocious this week.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Teenage Fansub posted:

Happy comics everybody!

Is this a custom towel? If not, where can I purchase it? I have a friend who loves muscle men and Doom Patrol and I want to get her this for her birthday because it's perfection.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So, RHATO was loving AWESOME.

Albeit a little slow since is establishing Jason's new status quo, Lobdell made sure every page counted and is both the perfect issue to kickstart the new series both for new readers and those like me that stuck around since the previous volume.

Lobdell managed to find a perfect middle ground between his previous characterization of Jason and the moody, angry dude from UtRH that a LOT of people seems to wish him back. The funny thing is that aside of being slightly angrier, there's not a big difference between this Jason and the way he was at the end of RH/A. Speaking of, I'm curious if Starfire and Roy will remain a part of Jason's past or if they will be removed entirely from it. I hope is the former because if Jason needs something, is friends. And his friendship with Roy was simply the best.

Being as disappointed as I am for the current direction of Batman, it was fantastic to see him act like a parent again and show actual concern for Jason's well being and to be willing to talk instead of attacking first as it was the norm before. If nothing else, it seems his dynamic with Jason is being carried over from the previous series.

While there's superficial similarities between the directions Jason and Dick are taking right now, Jason is in a more personal quest that Dick. Choosing on his own to jump right into the darkness since he believes is what he should do, instead of taking advantage of a lovely situation like Dick. And they will certainly diverge as soon Jason meets Bizarro and Artemis and the subsequent dynamics he will develop with them. In that sense, it will be very interesting to see how different it will compared to Roy and Kori.

Going just by the recap on this issue it seems Jason's background is altered once again, this time seemingly being closer to the animated movie by resurrecting him with the Lazarus Pit and even changing the way UtRH happened. Whereas in the original only Dick was present although he never met Jason face to face and in the glimpses the N52 gave us, Dick did face Jason. This time seems like Dick wasn't involved and his role was taken by Tim. Hopefully this will be a factor in future issues since it will certainly affect the brotherly dynamic Tim and Jason had in the N52.

Soy knocked out of the park as well with a ton of fantastic looking pages that perfectly complimented Lobdell's script.

So cool :allears:

No doubt having a great colorist helped. Gandini's idea of using washed out colors so Jason's red would stand out more was a a brilliant one. I wouldn't mind if the trend continue on upcoming issues but that might clash with Artemis and Bizarro's color schemes. We'll see I guess but right now I'm pretty confident in this art team.

Oh and the best part? The expressive helmet is gone! :dance:

Anyhoo, we're off to a fantastic start and I couldn't be more happy about that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Maybe I was in a mood, but I didn't want to read any more as it ended. Sorry Raptor, you shall remain a mystery.

Action Comics' art was atrocious this week.

Is... is Lois hitting on Wonder Woman?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Glad to see Jason is heroically firing a gun indiscriminately into a crowd.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Endless Mike posted:

Glad to see Jason is heroically firing a gun indiscriminately into a crowd.

That is a plot point actually, so you might want to pick it up to see what's the deal about it.

I just picked up the pages with the best art in the issue but honestly it was so good all around that I'd gladly put the whole issue here. :allears:

Oh, and Lobdell did a great interview about the series here

quote:

Nrama: What's it like when Jason has to work with these two?

Lobdell: I think he's still a little off-balanced in terms of making new friends. (If you noticed, Jason hasn't been one to collect very many friends over the years. I think he only knows very few people from his days before his role as Robin and not much more since he became the Red Hood.) He is slow to warm.

But he will! Artemis is someone he is going to respect almost immediately - recall he was trained as a warrior later in life. She's been taught to kick rear end from day one.

Bizarro is a never-ending source of fascination for Jason. The guy is just so... bizarre. For someone as analytical and tactical as Jason, the sheer uniqueness of Bizarro leaves Jason always wondering what Bizarro is going to do or think next.

And anyone expecting "dumb Bizarro" is going to be disappointed. This is a Bizarro who isn't "stupid" — he is a Bizarro who thinks... bizarre. You will love him!

Nrama; Anything else you want to tell fans about Red Hood and the Outlaws?

Lobdell: Just that I am the luckiest guy in comics. Three fine-tunings in five years and DC keeps letting me work with one of their most complicated characters. What an honor. Thank you, DC, and thank all the Hoodies who keep showing up to follow the epic that is Red Hood and company.

Really excited to see Lobdell's take on Bizarro. Good thing is just two weeks for issue 1.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That is a plot point actually, so you might want to pick it up to see what's the deal about it.
lol nope.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's explained in the story that there is a crowd, and Jason wants to shoot people in it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Can we just let DT post into the void about his husbando for once? There's literally nothing that's going to come out of this except for the entire thread being about Jason loving Todd for five pages, again.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Well, it wasn't all that bad. I got a chuckle from the blatant characterization books on the last page though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Travis343 posted:

Can we just let DT post into the void about his husbando for once? There's literally nothing that's going to come out of this except for the entire thread being about Jason loving Todd for five pages, again.

Remember when there was a whole thread dedicated to Red Hood. It was like it was quarantined. Good times.

edit: Detective Comics continues to be awesome. I really like it when a writer comes up with a solid idea that makes you wonder "why hasn't anyone done that before?". I know others have done the whole "make a new Batman for different purposes", for instance in Grant Morrison's Batman run, but I really like the idea of a Batman army force. Anyway, solid issue.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 27, 2016

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

So, by his own admission, Jason is not the hero Batman wants him to be, nor the one he needs.

Red Hood really is DC's best character.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

graybook posted:

Well, it wasn't all that bad. I got a chuckle from the blatant characterization books on the last page though.

For me it was Jason having the loving Batmobile tire on his shelf :haw:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Makes sense. That wheel is actually a huge influence on his life.

Had it not come loose they might have caught the Joker then and there, and Jason would ever get to this point.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

For me it was Jason having the loving Batmobile tire on his shelf :haw:

That is actually pretty :3:. My problem with the posted pages is Jason driving a motorcycle while both hands are occupied holding guns.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WickedHate posted:

That is actually pretty :3:. My problem with the posted pages is Jason driving a motorcycle while both hands are occupied holding guns.

This isn't terribly difficult. Motorcycles will maintain their balance at speed without any input.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSa4_gJ99vw

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

This isn't terribly difficult. Motorcycles will maintain their balance at speed without any input.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSa4_gJ99vw

Huh. I guess it's flawless then.

I have not actually read the issue yet

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Xinder posted:

Is this a custom towel? If not, where can I purchase it? I have a friend who loves muscle men and Doom Patrol and I want to get her this for her birthday because it's perfection.

It was an SDCC giveaway, so Ebay?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Thank Manhattan for giving us another good Batgirl series! Or at least, one that's off to a great start.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Teenage Fansub posted:

It was an SDCC giveaway, so Ebay?

Not on there yet, but I'll keep checking. Thanks for letting me know this exists.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Hey, Nick Fury can do it, and he's got rockets on his!

(I apologize for comparing Jason Todd to Nick Fury)

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, but he's got a lit cigar and a lack of a shirt. Automatically superior.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

To be serious for a second, I actually like Scott Lobdell's writing when he's doing smaller moments between characters.

I don't know if anybody read the Teen Titans Annual that came out last month, but I felt that at the beginning when it was just the characters hanging out, it was pretty nice. Nothing amazing, but it was good.
Then the actual plot rolled in, and it all went downhill from there.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

That doesn't count, that image is so awesome I can't even process it as an event in a narrative, as if someone just told Kirby to draw something badass as hell and delivered.

Although, that said, the way Fury is sitting always bugged me. Kirby is better at static art than movement and poo poo.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 27, 2016

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

WickedHate posted:

That doesn't count, that image is so awesome I can't even process it as an event in a narrative, as if someone just told Kirby to draw something badass as hell and delivered.

Although, that said, the way Fury is sitting always bugged me. Kirby is better at static art than movement and poo poo.

That's Jim Steranko, not Kirby.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Well blow me down! I could have sworn that was Kirby every time I've seen it.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
EDIT: Removed due to Imgur not being used anymore by SA (I missed the memo).

Dario the Wop fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 27, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dario the Wop posted:

EDIT: Removed due to Imgur not being used anymore by SA (I missed the memo).

Wait, what?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah seriously, when did that happen?

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Had a post all typed up with Imgur links and tags, and they disappear when I posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Maybe is an issue on your end? My pictures and Two Pair's are hosted on Imgur.