Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Geez, fine, I get it Burkion, I'll watch Ultraman Nexus.

Though I have to ask, is it connected to the previous shows? I haven't watched any Ultraman ever and they seem to be more connected than Rider and Sentai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

Geez, fine, I get it Burkion, I'll watch Ultraman Nexus.

Though I have to ask, is it connected to the previous shows? I haven't watched any Ultraman ever and they seem to be more connected than Rider and Sentai.

Nexus is not. It is connected to the Ultraman the Next movie, but they go into how in the series proper when it becomes relevant.

As a whole, they are and they aren't.

Here's how it basically works out

Showa Ultraman all basically take place in the same universe like Showa Kamen Rider. Unlike Kamen Rider, which has a lot of weird poo poo going on with the shared universe stuff as of the Heisei series, Ultraman keeps their stuff a bit more defined.

There's basically a multiverse in Ultraman, always has been. So, in some series, the events of Ultraman and UltraSeven happened, but no others- in other series, the events of just UltraSeven happened but no others.

In the recent Manga series, just the original Ultraman happened but no others.

For the TV series, the Showa time line is one defined point that skips Tiga, Dyna, Gaia, Cosmos, Nexus and Max, but includes Mebius who directly continues their universe.

Tiga and Dyna are in their own shared universe, Gaia, Cosmos and Nexus are all in their own distinctly separate universes as well.

But all of them are connected because Ultramen have been shown to be able to cross dimensions and go to other universes.

UltraSeven does this regularly, as does his son Zero.

Dyna is forced to do it and he pops up in the main Ultraman universe at some point in the Ultra Galaxy movie.

Then you get the only actually confusing/weird part- different universes have different versions of the same Ultra heroes.

Ultraman Max exists in his own universe, but there is also an Ultraman Max that lives in the Land of Light in the main universe. Similarly, an AU version of Cosmos' human form exists in the main Ultra timeline, but Cosmos himself does not. He is in a distinctly different universe, as shown when Zero and Dyna teamed up with him.

The original Ultramen all have different iterations of themselves and their human personas across the different universes, as we have seen at least three different UltraSevens and Ultramans.

The different iterations never really meet up though so it's not terribly confusing. Some of them are always the main one that we know of- Ultraman Zero has always been the Ultraman Zero of the main time line, for instance.

Nexus is the other one that's always the same one, even more than Zero or any other. I won't go into why because it's pretty heavily spoilery and I don't want to do that.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Burkion posted:

Garo is fantastic. Season 1 has one of the strongest finales of any toku and the first movie that caps it off is wonderful.
By "first movie", you mean Garo Special: Byakuya no Maju, right?

quote:

The Metal Hero series are sadly not subbed very far, unless you want not great HK subs.
Huh. It turns out there are more toku series available in Portuguese subs than English ones. This never happens. I guess if I end up watching a metal hero that's not available in English I'll put up a trip report here.

Big thanks for the suggestions, as always. I'll put Kuuga, Garo and Nexus on as modern series in the to-watch list. I kind of feel like trying some of the very earliest toku as well. Sadly I don't think there are complete episodes for neither the first Kamen Rider nor Goranger, in Portuguese or English. But V3 is something I could get behind. Are you familiar with Battle Fever J, Goggle Five, or Sun Vulcan?

DoctorWhat posted:

Great cast, great management of its toyetics, and exactly as much story as it needed.

I'm very glad they toned down the bike toys as well. And I agree, the pacing works. Just when I started consistently guessing the plot twists of each episode, the series went into its final act and stopped doing that kind of twist.

And it's pretty great when the villain who randomly drops objects he's holding all the time finally reveals his evil superpowered form and it turns out his power is gravity control.

Xtreme was the ugliest of the forms and the most stilted when fighting due to the very not dynamic sword & shield combo. Accel disappointed a bit until they introduced Trial, which I liked a lot. Would really have loved to see what they could have done with a proper budget for the super-speed scenes. Otherwise I liked that they relied only moderately on CGI, and never too ambitiously. OOO in comparison relies a lot more on CGI and always suffers for it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cyphoderus posted:

He does, and I fully agree: Garo is great and Byakuya no Maju is a great way to finish the series. Though of course, that's only the first season, and if you liked it by all means do continue. The Ryuga series (The One That Shines in the Darkness, Gold Storm) are terrible, as is the second anime (Crimson Moon) but the rest is great and well worth the watch, and those happen in separate 'verses so it won't affect watching the rest.

Also I guess I'm not watching Nexus after all, Crunchyroll doesn't show anything avaliable to watch. Orb appears, but Nexus doesn't. As far as I can see it should be avaliable in my area, so that's weird.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cyphoderus posted:

Huh. It turns out there are more toku series available in Portuguese subs than English ones. This never happens. I guess if I end up watching a metal hero that's not available in English I'll put up a trip report here.

Big thanks for the suggestions, as always. I'll put Kuuga, Garo and Nexus on as modern series in the to-watch list. I kind of feel like trying some of the very earliest toku as well. Sadly I don't think there are complete episodes for neither the first Kamen Rider nor Goranger, in Portuguese or English. But V3 is something I could get behind. Are you familiar with Battle Fever J, Goggle Five, or Sun Vulcan?

Here's the thing with early Super Sentai- it is goofy as poo poo. Sentai was always aimed at a younger audience than Rider and it shows. V3 is also goofy as poo poo, but it is utterly straight faced about it. Sentai is just silly. This would begin to change with Dynaman, which is still based on being a Baseball Sentai, and would totally change over in Bioman.

Sun Vulcan is the best looking and most serious of those, barring perhaps Goggle Five as I know very little about that series, but it may not suit you. Worth a chance though and it does look great. I enjoyed it more than I didn't.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also I guess I'm not watching Nexus after all, Crunchyroll doesn't show anything avaliable to watch. Orb appears, but Nexus doesn't. As far as I can see it should be avaliable in my area, so that's weird.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/ultraman-nexus This link doesn't work?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nope. It gives me the page, sure, but with nothing to actually click on. Nothing appears under videos. Trying to click Watch only refreshes the page.

For something that's apparently out everywhere except for Asia it sure doesn't seem to work here!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Strange.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/ultraman-nexus/episode-1-night-raid-693739

Does that work? That's a direct link to the episode

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As someone who's also new to the series, are there also movie/special-exclusive Ultramen that pop up during later series' ala Kamen Riders ZX, Shin, ZO, and J or is it mostly just contained to the various TV series'?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

As someone who's also new to the series, are there also movie/special-exclusive Ultramen that pop up during later series' ala Kamen Riders ZX, Shin, ZO, and J or is it mostly just contained to the various TV series'?

There are a few Movie Only Ultramen, sort of.

Ultraman Zearth, as far as I am aware, has never appeared outside of his two films- he's a parody Ultra hero but an Ultra Hero none the less.

Ultraman the Next technically does not appear outside of his movie, though he is the same Ultra-being as Nexus so that's questionable.

Ultraman Zero premiered and primarily starred in movies, though he hosted Ultraman Retsuden and showed up for X's series.

Um- Ultraman Justice only appears in the Cosmos movies I believe. I don't think she's appeared elsewhere.

Beyond that, Ultras tend to just appear in the TV series. The only movie exclusive NEW FORM I can think of was in Ultraman Mebius' movie, where he merged with all of the Ultra Brothers to become Ultraman Mebius Infinity.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That worked, thanks Burkion! I have no idae what's up with Crunchyroll here (it isn't letting me select episodes in the link either, but since it autoplays, that's not an issue) but at least I can watch anyways.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

That worked, thanks Burkion! I have no idae what's up with Crunchyroll here (it isn't letting me select episodes in the link either, but since it autoplays, that's not an issue) but at least I can watch anyways.

Weird.

Dunno what's going on. Might be issues with their website. Hope you enjoy!

It's not going to be a normal kind of series

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly my only problem with Extreme is that they only use it with Cyclone and Joker, would have been nice to see Heat/Metal or Luna/Trigger Extreme

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Burkion posted:

Here's the thing with early Super Sentai- it is goofy as poo poo. Sentai was always aimed at a younger audience than Rider and it shows. V3 is also goofy as poo poo, but it is utterly straight faced about it. Sentai is just silly. This would begin to change with Dynaman, which is still based on being a Baseball Sentai, and would totally change over in Bioman.

Sun Vulcan is the best looking and most serious of those, barring perhaps Goggle Five as I know very little about that series, but it may not suit you. Worth a chance though and it does look great. I enjoyed it more than I didn't.

Gotcha. I definitely got that vibe from Dairanger. The sheer silliness reduced a lot of the impact from the more serious attempts at poignant moments which came later in the series.

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly my only problem with Extreme is that they only use it with Cyclone and Joker, would have been nice to see Heat/Metal or Luna/Trigger Extreme
I don't think that would make a lot of difference, Extreme never does anything very Jokery nor Cycloney, only that generic maximum drive (that takes way too long to set up).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cyphoderus posted:

Gotcha. I definitely got that vibe from Dairanger. The sheer silliness reduced a lot of the impact from the more serious attempts at poignant moments which came later in the series.

I don't think that would make a lot of difference, Extreme never does anything very Jokery nor Cycloney, only that generic maximum drive (that takes way too long to set up).

If you're interested in seeing more Showa era Kamen Rider shows I would also highly recommend Amazon and Stronger, both are decent shows and actually have very little filler for a Showa era Toku show. They're also both fairly short (Amazon has 24 episodes and Stronger has 39) which might be a factor in that regard.

Kakuranger (though it takes about 16 or so episodes to actually develop a real plot), Carranger, Megaranger (which is one of two times the whole "teenagers with attitude" thing has been done in Sentai, the other being Turboranger which I also enjoyed but unfortunatly nobody has fully subbed yet) and Gingaman are also good earlier Sentais to check out as well. I'd recommend Jetman as well were it not for the fact that a majority of the cast with the exception of Raita, Ako and the Commander were terrible people and the whole love triangle aspect gets really grating after a while, but your mileage may vary.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 27, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cyphoderus posted:

Yeah. Bioman through Maskman were the strangely self serious totally straight faced period in Kamen Rider, which it's never really had since then.

They were never too complicated or the like, but it's my favorite period in Sentai. OhRanger was meant to be a throwback to that era of Sentai but then it got completely hosed over.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Okay so having watched five episodes of Nexus, here's my thoughts until now...

-I'm so glad to have official subtitles, and of such great quality too!

Between that, weird sentences, missing words, an overall dry translation and a complete inability to stick for either "beast" or "monster" (it's beast, they're saying beast in English), I'm utterly surprised that this is something people were paid to make.

-Holy gently caress vice-captain Sajyou is terrible. "ULTRAMAN IS AN ENEMY" as he's constantly helpful, "YOU MAKE TOO MANY ASSUMPTIONS" as she makes too many assumptions based on nothing but her hatred towards the guy that is Ultraman, and it's really blatant that she's acting on feelings despite saying she's rational. I want someone to punch her. Illustrator might be even worse considering he fully understands Ultraman is an ally to humanity yet orders an attack on him all the same to...test things, I guess? Mad scientist on the good guys, yay.

-Ultraman is nice and helpful and has some really cool fighting scenes. I like him and I like his human even if I know little to nothing about him right now. I wish he didn't get the Spider-Man treatment. Also both of his forms look neat, especially the red one.

-Shiori is also nice despite getting little screentime. I want to see more of her and the series to show why she's the gun expert of the team. The tech guy needs screentime desperately so I can care. No feelings on the captain, he seems rational even if he's unable to see how the blatantly good guy is a good guy.

-The beasts don't gently caress around, jesus. I think all the episodes have ended with at least some human deaths. It's refreshing to see in comparison to how useless most Rider/Sentai monsters are, excluding early Zyuohger where the series wouldn't outright say it but it was very clear that lots of people were dying.

-The protagonist is pretty likable despite me being completely unable to remember his name apparently. I like that he takes action to protect Ultraman, being apparently the only person that is able to see that the good guy is a good guy. He should punch the vice-captain in the face.

-I don't get why the ending doesn't have any scenes of its own and just repeats scenes of the episode, but it's fine. Both the opening and ending are fine songs, but not exciting. I like the "NEXUS" in the eyecatches, reminds me of the TURN-A GUNDAM voice at the beginning of said show.

Overall I'm enjoying this! It's a good series. I feel sad for Ultraman though, people need to stop being mean to him. He's a good silver giant inhabiting the body of...a newspaper guy, apparently? I guess my Spider-Man comparison was closer than I thought it was when I made it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Please continue these.

For soon you will learn.

The first major storyline is kicking in real soon and your reaction to it is going to be very telling.

By the by, Nagi, the vice captain, is also Jabi over at Garo. So that's fun. She's a personal favorite of mine for reasons that'll become clear later.

The other two guys sadly don't get much screen time. They did get a shared episode, but it got cut due to being too fillery- it went into the girl's whole backstory and what she was doing on the team. You can find it somewhere on the internets, but it's not legally subbed anywhere. It happens way later down the line though.

As for people being nice to Ultraman

Ahahahahahahahahaha

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly most of the things people list as positives about Ultraman Nexus are exactly the reasons why I don't plan on ever watching it, I have an extremely low tolerance for grimness in Toku(or indeed Superhero media in general), especially if it involves civilian deaths

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
MFC updated a couple days ago, dynaman 14-19 and gavan 29-33

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly most of the things people list as positives about Ultraman Nexus are exactly the reasons why I don't plan on ever watching it, I have an extremely low tolerance for grimness in Toku(or indeed Superhero media in general), especially if it involves civilian deaths

Ultraman Nexus is a show you should never watch

All of the civilian deaths are nowhere near the grimmest thing about Nexus.

I love it though because the heart of the show is pure Ultraman, hope for a better tomorrow and belief in the power of light and all that means. Just this is the series that reeeally puts that to the test.

It's just super frustrating because Ultraman is a family program more than not. It's aimed at family viewers, and Nexus was skewed older than most of the previous series. Every Ultraman series aired in Prime Time, up to and including Orb if I've read correctly.

Every one of them except for Nexus. For whatever reason, possibly because the previous Ultraman series was literally carebears and rainbow hugs, it got shoved into the kids time slot by the station and it utterly tanked due to how frankly awful things get and how indepth the plot is.

Which got it unfairly cancelled ten episodes early because it couldn't meet a target demographic it was NEVER AIMING FOR TO BEGIN WITH.

When they re-aired the series in a late night slot later on, it preformed much better, getting good to great ratings.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cyphoderus posted:

Eh cyclone joker is pretty much the base fightman mode so A heat metal exteme where he wields a big zweihander prism bicker or a luna trigger that has a prism bicker gun could have been cool

same for fang metal and fang trigger

edit: also i somehow want to see fang joker extreme

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Also while we're discussing failures of utilizing the gimmicks of W, I find it amazing that they never did a scene where Shotaro uses the Skull Memory, either by itself in the Lost Driver, or with another Memory in the Double Driver, either in the show proper or in one of W's post series appearances

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

Burkion posted:

Garo is fantastic. Season 1 has one of the strongest finales of any toku and the first movie that caps it off is wonderful.

Avoid season 3 and 5 if you can help it.

The Metal Hero series are sadly not subbed very far, unless you want not great HK subs. Juspion is pretty fantastic but is also a huge outlier because it's all about fighting giant monsters- It's pretty far along though so you could start it without trouble. You might recognize the lead actor as the one who played the temporary Evil Ranger-Sorta character in Bioman.

With HK subs, even then the most you might stumble into is Space Sheriff Gavan, which has good subs up to a certain point, Sharivan and Shaider. Shaider might not fit with your tastes too well though, it's kind of made of drugs and is very silly.

Changeman and Liveman are both great 80s Sentai.

Kuuga is a great Rider series, though if you don't mind one that's a bit older, if you can track down V3 he's my absolute favorite above even Kuuga and Black, who I rank as my second favorite equally.

And if I can suggest something not on the table

http://www.crunchyroll.com/ultraman-nexus

Ultraman Nexus.

Watch Ultraman Nexus.

It's officially subbed and licensed. You don't have to worry about the history of the franchise at all. It's entirely in the same vein as Black only even more serious and twisted.

The only problem is the very last episode because they had to shove an entire 10 episode arc into 24 minutes because gently caress that TV network shoving Nexus into the kids time slot.

Nexus is a great awesome show and deserves a look see.

I started watching nexus last week and BOY are cr's subs some rough riding

show's pretty okay through thre eor four eps

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

John McClane posted:

I started watching nexus last week and BOY are cr's subs some rough riding

show's pretty okay through thre eor four eps

The first major storyline is over with, sort of, by episode 13. It's by that point that the show is done loving around and shows you what it is and what to expect from there on.

And yeah, Crunchy Rolls subs aren't the best in the world. They still do a better job than loving TV Nihon though, who literally translate things the OPPOSITE OF WHAT THEY MEAN. Super important vital plot points get totally hosed over and made incomprehensible.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

fwiw the subs for X and Orb are pretty good, it's just a bunch of their older subs that look like major crap.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Also while we're discussing failures of utilizing the gimmicks of W, I find it amazing that they never did a scene where Shotaro uses the Skull Memory, either by itself in the Lost Driver, or with another Memory in the Double Driver, either in the show proper or in one of W's post series appearances

I'd watch if for the half-Skull helmet if nothing else.

The thing I thought they underused most was the dance move finisher from one of the earlier episodes. It never came back. It fits perfectly with the theme of the series and looks like a Kamen Rider finisher anyway. It would be great to watch them Eddie Gordoing more Dopants to death.

I don't know how Nexus handles it but KR Black for instance has a flavor of grimness that never detracts from the heroic positive vibe, it even enhances it by providing contrast. While I agree with you that grimness in superhero stories is often terrible, there's at least a precedent for its good use in toku.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I won't lie.

Nexus at it's more intense moments is way worse than anything I've seen in Kamen Rider.

But that's because it's all about breaking down and building back up. It has a very similar kind of thing to Kuuga, only it goes even further with the message, and with one important difference.

With Kuuga, Kuuga himself became a danger to everyone around him. His ultimate form could have resulted in the destruction of the planet itself and he was responsible for nuking a section of Tokyo.

In Nexus, Ultraman is the hero. Flat out. Ultraman is the light against the darkness that will not betray or abandon us, even at our worst.

Which is the reason why I don't think Nexus is needlessly or pointlessly dark or whatever you'd want to call it. It never abandons the core of the series and what makes the hero The Hero. Humanity is, at its heart, good and wants to do good, but so many have been consumed by their fear or their anger that they've crippled themselves and are too scared to be kind and trust. Which is what the monsters feed on and encourage. The monsters cannot do anything if humanity is not divided against itself.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Catching up on Ghost and

OH MY GOD ALAIN'S DRAMATIC ENTRANCE IN EPISODE 30

:supaburn: AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH :supaburn:

It's... perfect :qq:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
alain's green sweater thing is an abomination before god and man

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Serious Frolicking posted:

Alain is a sweet and good boy who doesn't understand about clothes :colbert:

To be fair to Granny, this is just a day-glo version of his old "civilian" clothes, when he wasn't wearing the Ganma uniform.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Serious Frolicking posted:

I couldn't agree more.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I think if you check the tapes you will find in fact that Alain is a Good Boy and can do no wrong.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
What about the time when he brainwashed his best friend and forced him to attack people?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Some Numbers posted:

What about the time when he brainwashed his best friend and forced him to attack people?

Let's be entirely honest

This is Kamen Rider.

That is by far the least dickish thing you can do to a friend

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Have you seen what Go Shijima does to his friends?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ghost would be so much better if Alain was the main character, seeing as how he's the only actually interesting character out of the three.

Takeru is terrible, Makoto is one-note. Alain is great and deserves all the takoyaki.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Is he not getting an upgraded form?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blaze Dragon posted:

Ghost would be so much better if Alain was the main character, seeing as how he's the only actually interesting character out of the three.

Takeru is terrible, Makoto is one-note. Alain is great and deserves all the takoyaki.

Actually the most interesting character is the Monk and Cubi.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

V-Men posted:

Is he not getting an upgraded form?

he is not. He's staying in his current form and will be using different heroic Eyecons, but he's not getting an upgrade unless he gets a super late one like Machine Chaser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
We're probably gonna see Takeru and/or Alain connect with the Great Eye in the last episode and like fix the Ganma world. He might get an upgrade during that, but otherwise I don't expect Alain to get an upgrade.

• Locked thread