Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
This was my second story deck after the insane snowstorm we got here (Baltimore) last winter. I was really afraid I was going to wake up to find that it had collapsed into the back yard.

This past winter was one of the snowiest ever in my area, but it literally all fell that one day. You could look out the window every hour and see less and less of the neighborhood every time. They ended up dumping some of the snow into the stadiums afterwards, and the piles were so big there was concern that they'd still be there when it was time for the Orioles' opening day.

I grew up in New England, and not once do I remember getting storms like that. How climate change deniers are a thing is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lady Demelza posted:

How did every single roof not collapse after several hours of this? I know they are designed to take the weight of snowfall but there has to be a limit.

Presumably they're sloped and snow over a certain height just falls off?
(Lives in Australia where snow doesn't exist)

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Roof collapse from snow used to be a really big problem really up until around WWII when physics and architecture finally got 100% in sync (it kinda started around the Chicago worlds fair with the Ferris Wheel and became bigger and bigger from there on). I remember reading a historical nonfiction book about 1800's New York and one of the things they offhandedly mentioned was that because your average person was fairly ignorant of how to use physics to engineer load bearing roofs (triangles and such) if you lived in the slums in NYC the rooms on the top of the buildings were cheaper because they were constantly in fear of collapse or leaking from rain. I mean obviously even if the technical reasons weren't well known people knew how to engineer for the tonnage of snow, it's one of the reasons you associate those really high slanted roofs with the sort of Alpine/Scandinavian look, because they were designed to survive actual snowfall and make it slough off onto the ground. The vikings for instance (I have to bring this up because I did most of a degree in Dark Ages History god dammit!) actually engineered their houses as these giant triangular wedges that were flush with the ground and so when large snowfalls fell on them, not only did they not collapse the snow actually helped insulate the buildings and made them warmer.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crow Jane posted:

This was my second story deck after the insane snowstorm we got here (Baltimore) last winter. I was really afraid I was going to wake up to find that it had collapsed into the back yard.

This past winter was one of the snowiest ever in my area, but it literally all fell that one day. You could look out the window every hour and see less and less of the neighborhood every time. They ended up dumping some of the snow into the stadiums afterwards, and the piles were so big there was concern that they'd still be there when it was time for the Orioles' opening day.

I grew up in New England, and not once do I remember getting storms like that. How climate change deniers are a thing is beyond me.

yeah i was in baltimore too in college last year and we were shut down for about a week, you couldnt even walk 2 blocks to get to class.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I think he might have been trained to jump in WWII and not have jumped since then. I feel like an experienced jumper or one who was inexperienced would have both chosen the newer chute because it would have stood out as the safest one, the fact that he chose the older one (to me at least) says that he might have received parachute training in the past and he chose that one because it was more similar to the one he had used before. He might not have recognized the dummy parachute because those kind of markings didn't become standardized or used until after he had been trained as well. It's also possible that, no matter what level of training he had, that he just hosed up because he was moving quickly.

Maybe we should talk about "competent" instead of "experienced"; "hasn't jumped in 25 years and can't tell a real parachute from a dummy" isn't what I'd call competence.

quote:

Everything shows that he was an extremely meticulous planner who was familiar with the area, I suspect what actually happened was that he started using the parts of one of the reserve chutes to strap the cash onto his body (which we know he did) and then when he got to the other one he realized it was a dummy and jumped with it anyways.

Why would he do this? Moreover, if he was a meticulous planner, why didn't he request a jump suit or goggles or some rope to tie the money to him? He seems to me to have gotten everything planned carefully except the actual jumping. There's a theory on the Wikipedia page that he was a cargo loader - someone who'd heard about parachuting and maybe seen it but without direct experience. That seems plausible to me.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Crow Jane posted:

In 96 or 97 Baltimore got hit for 43" of snow in three days. It was loving insane. I was working at Owings Mills Mall and trying to walk from the subway station to the mall was wading through thigh high snow for half an hour.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Lady Demelza posted:

How did every single roof not collapse after several hours of this? I know they are designed to take the weight of snowfall but there has to be a limit.

If it's reasonably windy, the snow won't accumulate at that rate on the roof due to drifting.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
There's a reason the Old Faithful Lodge in Yellowstone looks like this:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Crow Jane posted:

I grew up in Massachusetts and we got a couple of storms like that in the 1970s. I am 100% convinced of the science documenting climate change, but weather is weird as hell, and weather in North America is particularly weird.

Hey, fun fact! My (flat) roof actually did collapse a bit from the hellsnow the winter before last! It was exciting. Usually we shovel the roof but husband and I both had a virus and it was all so terrible.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
This one isn't Weather related but was linked in another thread on this site.

It probably is STDH, but it can be a bit creepy in places:

http://www.vice.com/read/my-grandma-the-poisoner-0000474-v21n10

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 21:55 on Jul 19, 2016

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

gently caress man you could literally make a vertical snow angel on that poo poo

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

Could easily be STDH yeah but often people go through real pretzel-like convolutions in their own mind to persuade themselves their relatives are not bad people. I know this from personal experience.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Josef bugman posted:

Jesus, that's hosed up to even have to contemplate.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well that just coincidentally lines right up with the podcast i just listened to today.

Jane Toppan was born in Massachusetts in 1857. She attended the Cambridge Nursing School, and established a successful private nursing career in Boston. Said to be cheerful, funny and excellent with her patients, nothing about “Jolly Jane” suggested she could be “the most notorious woman poisoner of modern times.”

Jane Toppan aka (Jolly Jane) (1857–1938), born Honora Kelley, was an American serial killer. She confessed to 31 murders in 1901. She is quoted as saying that her ambition was "to have killed more people — helpless people — than any other man or woman who ever lived...".

She was a nurse. A popular and well-liked nurse. A nurse that was sought out as a care-giver, and she poisoned people with morphine and atropine. Possibly a whole lot of people

"In 1901, Toppan moved in with the elderly Alden Davis and his family in Cataumet to take care of him after the death of his wife (whom Toppan herself had murdered). Within weeks, she killed Davis and two of his daughters. She then moved back to her hometown and began courting her late foster sister's husband, killing his sister and poisoning him so she could prove herself by nursing him back to health. She even poisoned herself to evoke his sympathy. The ruse did not work, however, and he cast her out of his house."

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
43 years ago today, 12 year old Santos Rodriguez was killed after being forced by a cop to play Russian Roulette while handcuffed in the back of a police car for a crime he didn't commit.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/frocr

The officer who killed the kid was sentenced to five years in prison and served only half :stare:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

teen witch posted:

43 years ago today, 12 year old Santos Rodriguez was killed after being forced by a cop to play Russian Roulette while handcuffed in the back of a police car for a crime he didn't commit.

The officer who killed the kid was sentenced to five years in prison and served only half :stare:

Well those 2 and a half years were a lot of time to think about what he did. Does he work at a prison now?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

teen witch posted:

That's loving awful. Flush this planet :smith:

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well those 2 and a half years were a lot of time to think about what he did. Does he work at a prison now?

Found a small article from 1998 that interviewed the officer for the first time since the murder: http://airwolf.lmtonline.com/news/archive/072698/pagea12.pdf (Warning: PDF file)

How do you even have a life after doing something so evil like that? :psyduck:

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Found a small article from 1998 that interviewed the officer for the first time since the murder: http://airwolf.lmtonline.com/news/archive/072698/pagea12.pdf (Warning: PDF file)

How do you even have a life after doing something so evil like that? :psyduck:

This is amazing. That cop literally pressed his service revolver to a kid's head, then, by his own admission, pulled the trigger twice before successfully shooting the child to death, and he did two years. It seems terrible at fist glance, but then I realized that the person I should feel bad for is the police officer.

quote:

Cain said it was the first time he had ever used his gun to try to coerce a confession.

Can you believe that terrible luck? This is the very first time this guy has ever threatened a suspect with murder, and he has the awful misfortune to have accidentally left an invisible bullet in the gun he "thought" he had emptied. Holy poo poo. The universe really owes that guy one for screwing him over like that on the first time he ever, ever did anything like put a gun to the head of a child and pull the trigger.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Centripetal Horse posted:

This is amazing. That cop literally pressed his service revolver to a kid's head, then, by his own admission, pulled the trigger twice before successfully shooting the child to death, and he did two years. It seems terrible at fist glance, but then I realized that the person I should feel bad for is the police officer.

Can you believe that terrible luck? This is the very first time this guy has ever threatened a suspect with murder, and he has the awful misfortune to have accidentally left an invisible bullet in the gun he "thought" he had emptied. Holy poo poo. The universe really owes that guy one for screwing him over like that on the first time he ever, ever did anything like put a gun to the head of a child and pull the trigger.

My sarcasm detector is all over the place here.

I'm finding it hard to feel sorry for him TBH.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
This is obviously LoB forgetting to switch accounts before posting. That is the only sane explanation.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

That was clearly sarcasm guys....

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, you'd think the last sentence would really clench it, but I guess some people have been so worn down by the existence of the internet at large it's harder to pick up on?

The point was that, yes, it's hard to find much sympathetic with a guy who threatened to, and then did, murder a child, and then got less time in jail than many non-violent offenses are capable of racking up.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
You wanna know what's really hosed up? Torturing and threatening suspects to exact confessions was standard police procedure up through at least the 1960s. The Reid technique, which is probably what you imagine when you think of a police interrogation, was introduced in a book in 1962. The Miranda warning and Miranda rights originate from a 1966 supreme court decision. Of course this incident happened in 1972, and I'm definitely not trying to excuse this guy for being a terrible cop, just pointing out that reforms happened a lot more recently than you might think, and to the cops that trained him these were probably onerous new rules.

Here's a pretty interesting article from Wired in May about new methods for interrogating suspects that may elicit fewer false confessions.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Crosspoting from PYF historical fun fact, I realized too late it fits better here. Y'know why natural gas smells bad? like the "do not use in the shower" warning on your hair drier, it's because somebody died. In the case of gas, a bunch of little kids. :smith:

:siren: CHILD DEATH WARNING :siren:

Natural gas doesn't naturally smell bad. The skunk-ish odorant was added after a school blew up and killed a fuckton of kids during the East Texas oil boom. They'd tapped off the oil company's waste gas line to run their furnace (back then natural gas/propane was a waste product when drilling for oil for gasoline), there was a leak in the basement, and the shop teacher turned on a circular saw, providing a spark that lit the odorless gas filling the school. The entire building leapt into the air, and killed over 295 people -- the 295 were identifiable as bodies, but it was during a PTA meeting, so there were plenty of unclaimed little bodies with the parents also killed, and entire migrant-worker families just vaporized.

Here's the new school, with the memorial cenotaph inset, circa 1940:

Everything on that postcard still stands to this day, the school is a bit cramped, the halls are narrow and tiled like a shower stall. But it's a small town, and they spent their money rebuilding, then the oil ran out.

Also, Reich Chancellor Adolph Hitler sent a telegram expressing his condolences. You know it's bad when fuckin' HITLER sends a "sorry for your loss" note.

This was literally the next town over from my hometown, the city where all the oilco offices are. The newspaper I used to work for covered the disaster, being the nearest daily paper, and I personally photographed the 70th anniversary memorial in the new school's auditorium. That was rough, I'm a loving Journalist, I laugh at people getting themselves killed, but I must admit I teared up at the New London memorial. Because goddamn, it's one thing to have a port city wiped off the map via hurricane (Galveston, multiple times) or munitions ship explosion (Texas City, Halifax), but it's entirely another to have an entire generation of kids killed at school.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
While we're telling sad stories of the death of children, the Bath, Michigan school massacre is a loving heartbreaker.

Pretty sure we've had the Aberfan disaster in the thread already.

:sigh:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I've mentioned it before, but the school shooting that happened about an hour from me is really infuriating.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

AlbieQuirky posted:

While we're telling sad stories of the death of children, the Bath, Michigan school massacre is a loving heartbreaker.

quote:

A school board member named Andrew Kehoe, upset over a burdensome property tax, wired the building with dynamite and set it off in the morning of May 18. Kehoe’s actions killed 45 people, 38 of whom were children.
fair enough

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't have kids, so why am I paying property tax for education?!?

*conveniently forgets that he was once a child and went to school*

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Reading more about it, the guy also killed his wife and set fire to his property before leaving to set off the dynamite. The planning behind all of it just makes me feel sick.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

quote:

This upset Andrew Kehoe. A local farmer with training as an electrical engineer, he was a severe, stubborn man fond of drastic solutions to small problems; Ellsworth writes that Kehoe once shot a noisy dog and killed his own horse because it was lazy. In an article from May 20, 1927, the New York Times noted that Kehoe “was known through the countryside as a ‘dynamite farmer’. Neighbors detailed how he was continually setting off blasts on his farm, blowing up stumps and rocks.”

Foreshadowing.txt

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

As a dad with a 5yo and a 9mo, I appreciate the kid-trauma warnings.
Here's something straight terrifying.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Nth Doctor posted:

As a dad with a 5yo and a 9mo, I appreciate the kid-trauma warnings.
Here's something straight terrifying.

The idea of anyone winning that election is terrifying tbh.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It is as if neither side actually wants to win this one.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Seems like there's something veeeeeery wrong happening with some fashion vlogger.

http://hollywoodlife.com/2016/07/26/save-marina-joyce-life-danger-video-behavior-meetup-party-bruises/

Also, her fans are scared shitless because of this tweet:
https://twitter.com/MarinaJoyce7/status/758072430145462273

6h30 in the morning? Really? The gently caress's going on?

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

Negrostrike posted:

Seems like there's something veeeeeery wrong happening with some fashion vlogger.

http://hollywoodlife.com/2016/07/26/save-marina-joyce-life-danger-video-behavior-meetup-party-bruises/

This is super weird and I am intrigued.

Edit: apparently the police did a welfare check and she's fine. She didn't show up at the 630am "party" however.

Something still seems off, but I'm also not a teenage girl or youtuber. Maybe this is normal to the kids these day.

Doctor_Acula has a new favorite as of 08:43 on Jul 27, 2016

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Wow that sure is unnerving. I hope she's just a weird kid and not in any actual danger.
It's creepy and fascinating how social media and the internet in general can let you take a look into the days and hours leading up to horrible stuff happening.

The last time I saw this kind of conspiracy surrounding a teen youtube vlogger it was this girl who people insisted were being isolated and abused by her mother. The mom came of as weird and very overprotective but I just kind of thought that people were being creepy and over-reactionary. Checked up on her. She fled to Japan to be with a boyfriend to get away from her mother who proved to be just as manipulative and terrible as people had been speculating.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Negrostrike posted:

People are going crazy over the meetup thing, literally 2 tweets earlier:

https://twitter.com/MarinaJoyce7/status/758070715803394048

It's an actual hosted hippie party... at Bethnal Green, starting at 6:30. Just before the weird dress video she was at Noisily Festival. If anything she's probably experimenting with stimulants and partying hard.

I've been following this for a couple days and there's an insane amount of people looking for clues to link this with ISIS kidnappings and cults and poo poo, it's like a witch hunt. The scariest part of all this is how the internet can collectively take something and mould it into the most dramatic story possible because it's more interesting to think a teenager from London is being held hostage instead of doing dumb things typical of teenagers.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

People keep posting that 173 people died there in...1943 as this somehow is connected or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

R.L. Stine posted:

People are going crazy over the meetup thing, literally 2 tweets earlier:

https://twitter.com/MarinaJoyce7/status/758070715803394048

It's an actual hosted hippie party... at Bethnal Green, starting at 6:30. Just before the weird dress video she was at Noisily Festival. If anything she's probably experimenting with stimulants and partying hard.

I've been following this for a couple days and there's an insane amount of people looking for clues to link this with ISIS kidnappings and cults and poo poo, it's like a witch hunt. The scariest part of all this is how the internet can collectively take something and mould it into the most dramatic story possible because it's more interesting to think a teenager from London is being held hostage instead of doing dumb things typical of teenagers.

Yeah I'm thinking either she's just being hyper and weird to attract an audience or she might be doing some drugs. Saw a message from her mom talking about the only problem she'd seen was a little too much partying that their family is trying to nip in the butt. The whole "OMG someone is forcing her to make beauty vlogs. You can hear a jingle in the background, she is shangled!" is crazy. And the whole, "The place they are luring you to is a deathtrap! It is literally murdertown there" despite nothing but an event that happened during WWII saying otherwise. The whole conspiracy around it is way creepier than weird kid herself.