Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

Jeoh posted:

I don't remember who the goon was who posted that excellent list of rock music back in the day, but Jambinai just released their latest album and it's pretty awesome.

They Keep Silence

They released a youtube video as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB1k7CDVWVk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I hope they do something with Abyss.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I saw them live at the modern art museum once in Seoul. Great energy. Really fantastic band.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
So how bout that earthquake!

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

AmbientParadox posted:

So how bout that earthquake!
Didn't feel poo poo in Seoul.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Felt a wee wobble here in Busan. I had to go outside to see if I was imagining things but everyone was carrying on as normal.

Korean people literally aren't easily shaken.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

joedevola posted:

Felt a wee wobble here in Busan. I had to go outside to see if I was imagining things but everyone was carrying on as normal.

Korean people literally aren't easily shaken.

In college, staying in the dorms in California, people used to go on the balcony during earthquakes and laugh and yell to each other.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
So just how rabid are Korean Pokemon fans? I saw the reports about folks taking every available bus out to Sokcho. But, what's the general population's opinion of Pokemon?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

AmbientParadox posted:

So just how rabid are Korean Pokemon fans? I saw the reports about folks taking every available bus out to Sokcho. But, what's the general population's opinion of Pokemon?

No idea, but me and my coworkers are already dreading when/if it manages to be released properly because the kids are big into it and Yugioh already. And I've definitely seen people mid-20s playing in during train rides before.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

AmbientParadox posted:

Just like many things, they think it only exists in Korea and seem surprised that "even Americans are playing!" which I find 50/50 adorable and annoying. There were so many god drat brands/ideas/music/whateverthefuck that I had to break it to Koreans that they didn't invent it. I have no idea where they get the idea that everything comes from within their borders.

Anyway, I think the breakdown on Pokemon is similar to how it is in America - I think the cutoff age here is 35 and below or so. There, it's probably closer to 30-32 and below since it started showing up later than here.

Source: married to a Korean living in America telling me about such things.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

TreFitty posted:

Just like many things, they think it only exists in Korea and seem surprised that "even Americans are playing!" which I find 50/50 adorable and annoying.

Source: married to a Korean living in America telling me about such things.

would you like to guess how many seasons korea has?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ladron posted:

would you like to guess how many seasons korea has?

do you know jesus christu?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Man that got lovely fast.

Kind of like all the summer kpop singles so far. Man none of these have been very good have they?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

Man that got lovely fast.

Kind of like all the summer kpop singles so far. Man none of these have been very good have they?

none of these have ever been any good, except for centaur sistar

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

That pick me song by the 100 aspiring kpop singers is good because of the 2007 dubstep style drop.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

E_P posted:

That pick me song by the 100 aspiring kpop singers is good because of the 2007 dubstep style drop.

I thought it was called "peek me up" and was about upskirts.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Maxsmart posted:

I thought it was called "peek me up" and was about upskirts.

That's "peek up me"

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I think Yaletown closed down? Because it's renamed to "Dragon's Den" or something dumb like that, apparently. Anyone happen to know Jason? I'd love to know what happened..

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

He sold it in January, I believe, but I don't know much more than that.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Love Stole the Day posted:

I think Yaletown closed down? Because it's renamed to "Dragon's Den" or something dumb like that, apparently. Anyone happen to know Jason? I'd love to know what happened..

The goon in me is now really interested in going to a bar called the Dragon's Den. Is it like a DnD-themed bar with a Gauntlet arcade game going on in a corner?

SPM
Jan 7, 2009
What's the consensus on where to stay in Seoul and Busan?

I'm planning my trip with my friend now and am thinking Seoul, out East to Seoraksan Park, Busan, Jeju, Seoul. That's in 12 days, flying in/out not including.

Are there any special website to find a hanok/traditional place to stay in for a few nights?

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Where you stay depends largely on what you want to do. In Seoul, Jongno is central and around a lot of the tourist stuff. Also seems like a good bet to find hanok accommodation. I think there are several on airbnb.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah if you want stuff like hanoks then the best english option will be airbnb. Jongno is a safe place to look.

Busan, it really depends on what you want to do. The city can be a little difficult to get around in due to its layout with the mountains. There are some nice places east of Haeundae, but that could be really far from stuff depending on what you want to do.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Whenever I stayed in Seoul it was usually in Jongno, in between Jongno-3-ga and the palace. Pretty cool neighbourhood, and it's convenient. You're also nearby Anguk and ~*~THE BLUE STAR~*~

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
The Ashley at Jongno Tower nowadays has fish and chips. It's pretty good imo, but it's only like little nuggets of fried fish.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah if you want stuff like hanoks then the best english option will be airbnb. Jongno is a safe place to look.

Busan, it really depends on what you want to do. The city can be a little difficult to get around in due to its layout with the mountains. There are some nice places east of Haeundae, but that could be really far from stuff depending on what you want to do.

I used airbnb recently for Busan and stayed near Gwangali beach. It's less crowded but still a busy nightlife area for Busan.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

How is loving Ashley still getting recommended in this thread?

It's...fine. It's a buffet, and it has an unlimited wine option, and that's...fine. But at this point it feels a bit like recommending Kraze Burger as a great dining establishment.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

superm0nk posted:

It's...fine. It's a buffet, and it has an unlimited wine option, and that's...fine. But at this point it feels a bit like recommending Kraze Burger as a great dining establishment.

you know nothing unless you went to Carne Station

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

superm0nk posted:

because it makes you mad

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
At the Gyeongnam Teacher Training last year the dumb bitch in charge picked a kid who had been in the country for like 3 weeks to give an hour long presentation about Life in Korea and he spent half of it going on and on about Mom's Touch.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

Whizbang posted:

At the Gyeongnam Teacher Training last year the dumb bitch in charge picked a kid who had been in the country for like 3 weeks to give an hour long presentation about Life in Korea and he spent half of it going on and on about Mom's Touch.

Mom's Touch is love. Mom's Touch is life.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Raphisonfire posted:

Mom's Touch is love. Mom's Touch is life.

I have Mom's Touch every time I go to Busan.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
They have a decent chicken sandwich if I remember. If he really knew what's up he would have told ya'll about Tower Burgers from KFC.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mom's Touch is good. I never got touched by any moms in it though.

The one near me was owned by this middle aged dude who was so excited to have someone he could speak English with that he'd always give me stuff and I'd walk out with like double what I actually ordered. He was cool.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Hans Deli is better than Moms Touch. Yeah, I said it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't know what that is but I feel comfortable saying any Korean place calling itself a deli is going to be crushingly disappointing.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

Mom's Touch is good.

Mom's touch fries are pretty good. Mom's touch is also where the ajumma working the cash register refused to sell me a chicken burger without mayonnaise because "It won't be delicious" and I then walked out.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ladron posted:

Mom's touch fries are pretty good. Mom's touch is also where the ajumma working the cash register refused to sell me a chicken burger without mayonnaise because "It won't be delicious" and I then walked out.

She was right.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Gildiss posted:

She was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Gildiss posted:

She was right.

they put like a gallon of the poo poo on there...