Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Cryohazard posted:

But this is an option that you have already. You can have multiple tenants and you can pimp out your colony as much as you want, you don't have to have a few box rooms embedded in dirt. If you want to make a swank underground colony, just go ahead and do it.

I mean unless your point is that 'Colony Deed' is labeled badly, which it is.

Yes, that is my point. I understand how to use them now because people here helped me. I have a very large underground base with many tenants and "friends" living there, it's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

TjyvTompa posted:

As for the ship license I know that I am at the limit for my crew since I haven't been able to recruit more for 2 days now but I am unsure if I have received the license, will check it. If I didn't receive it automatically I guess a solution would be to cheat myself the required pixels (how?) and then buy the fake one.
You could use /admin commands to cheat yourself pixels (or even the license) but are you sure you can't recruit more because you happen to have 2 (or 3 or whatever the limit is) following you around? Sometimes someone is ready to be recruited but if you have too many people already following you you will need to drop them off at your ship and come back for the new recruit.

I do agree that a lot of stuff is left unexplained. That's usually the case in these types of games (playing terraria I used to always have the wiki open, although nowadays if you want to know what kind of poo poo you can craft you can ask the guide so it's gotten a bit easier) but it makes picking them up if you're new to the genre a lot more difficult.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I did a simple graphical mod to add shadow to planet atmospheres:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=732371478

Thought I'd post here. If you find any bugs let me know.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

deadly_pudding posted:

Did you till the soil? I'm just trying to cover all the bases. I know we have a cotton patch in the communism farm on the server.

I did, I just didn't get that you needed to leave a space around each cotton plant :doh:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Elentor posted:

I did a simple graphical mod to add shadow to planet atmospheres:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=732371478

Thought I'd post here. If you find any bugs let me know.

This is neat. Is it all client-side, like that thing that enables hunger in casual mode? I wanna add this if it won't interfere with the modpack on Revol's server.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's all client side, it just replaces the png files of the planet shadows and no game mechanic is altered, so I think it shouldn't interfere with anything. The atmosphere and shadows are bundled in one single image which didn't make my life easy when editing but the mod itself is very simple.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
What's a place with a good collection of songs so I can follow my friends about as they dig and provide musical support?
I've already trawled through http://lotro-abc.com/

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Clocks posted:

You could use /admin commands to cheat yourself pixels (or even the license) but are you sure you can't recruit more because you happen to have 2 (or 3 or whatever the limit is) following you around? Sometimes someone is ready to be recruited but if you have too many people already following you you will need to drop them off at your ship and come back for the new recruit.

I do agree that a lot of stuff is left unexplained. That's usually the case in these types of games (playing terraria I used to always have the wiki open, although nowadays if you want to know what kind of poo poo you can craft you can ask the guide so it's gotten a bit easier) but it makes picking them up if you're new to the genre a lot more difficult.

Sadly this is not the case, I do have max crew but I still can't upgrade the ship:

Can't recruit new crew:

Can't upgrade ship:

Bonus pic to show my ship is not at max level already:

So how do I cheat myself the pixels to buy the fake license, is there a console I can use somewhere?

Edit: Could it be that penguin pete doesn't recognize I have 8 crew as 6 of them are permanently stuck in the bottom left corner of the ship as you can see?

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 27, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Croccers posted:

What's a place with a good collection of songs so I can follow my friends about as they dig and provide musical support?
I've already trawled through http://lotro-abc.com/

Uhh, well, I've found my new calling when playing Starbound multiplayer. :toot:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

How do I get the 3D Printer back? Or was that cut out during the Beta?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Arsten posted:

How do I get the 3D Printer back? Or was that cut out during the Beta?

It can be made in the last level of the Inventor's Table.

http://starbounder.org/Pixel_Printer

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
--

LordZoric fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 17, 2021

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

gmq posted:

It can be made in the last level of the Inventor's Table.

http://starbounder.org/Pixel_Printer

Hm. How the heck do I upgrade the inventors' table? There's no option to do so that I can find on the table itself. Is it quest-bound?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Uhh, well, I've found my new calling when playing Starbound multiplayer. :toot:
Listen, I COULD help you dig, or I could play the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme and Rock The Casbah on the trumpet in my cool bird beak hat :colbert:
Also that site I linked has a REALLY good version of Rock The Casbah.

Croccers fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 27, 2016

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Arsten posted:

Hm. How the heck do I upgrade the inventors' table? There's no option to do so that I can find on the table itself. Is it quest-bound?

There should be an option to upgrade it:
http://starbounder.org/Inventor%27s_Table

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Arsten posted:

Theres a big upgrade button at the top of the Inventor Table's crafting window - since it's pretty much the game shade of gray as the crafting window's border, it's easy to miss if you're not looking for it.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

TjyvTompa posted:

There should be an option to upgrade it:
http://starbounder.org/Inventor%27s_Table

Main Paineframe posted:

Theres a big upgrade button at the top of the Inventor Table's crafting window - since it's pretty much the game shade of gray as the crafting window's border, it's easy to miss if you're not looking for it.

Oh, hey. Giant button. :v:

Thank you!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I finished the story last night with a friend and now I'm not sure if there's any reason to continue playing. For some reason I never had this problem with minecraft (but I played that before it had a story).

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

--

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

LordZoric posted:

Now you just have to wait for Starbound: Story Mode - the newest TellTale title.

Though seriously, how was the storyline? Was it engaging at all or just a tacked-on thing?

It's pretty tacked on, but a couple of the NPCs are kinda cute. It gives you some impetus to explore various planets because you have to find and scan racial settlements of each species, with like a setpiece or dungeon after you get enough data.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There's nothing really to do at the 'endgame', which kind of sucks. You get all these cool weapons and strong armor and... yeah.

No colony assaults/events that I could see, and none of the mini dungeons or top end planets are particularly dangerous or challenging.

I don't really expect that much from this sort of game, so this isn't really a specific criticism of Starbound, but it's still a bummer, because these toys are fun to play with, there's just nothing that really warrants using them on.

There's also a massive system in place to recruit specific burly assistant NPCs, and make them companions or town guards, likewise with pokemon you can set to guard an area, but again, no real reason to do so other than 'looks neat'.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

--

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

TjyvTompa posted:

My ship is Tier 4, I have 22 upgrade modules and a full compliment of crew but I do not receive the quest for upgrading it to Tier 5. Going to Penguin Pete only opens his store.
Has anyone experienced this problem before? Can I somehow give myself the quest for Tier 5 upgrade?

I'm having the same problem.

It gave me the final license when I got 10 crew but penguin Pete doesn't upgrade the ship. Not sure if there's a fix or not.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

LordZoric posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Starbound: no real reason to do so other than 'looks neat'

Got to use the 8 artists hired somewhere.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i definitely wasn't expecting anything much out of the story and anyone who does for a sandbox game is...going to be disappointed, to say the least. the game's big issue right now is that it's still technically 'new', so modding hasn't entirely picked up other than whatever half-baked ideas people had before for the beta versions.

overall it's kind of alright, but there's still a boatload of baffling decisions and chucklefish is still a dumpster fire of a company that i'm really never going to recommend to anyone because lmao. i can only hope that people are able to remove themselves from it without being ruined before tiy and his loving stupid ideas ruin them as-is.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

Got to use the 8 artists hired somewhere.

Don't forget 7 different written racial descriptions for every single object in the entire universe :psyduck:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The worst part about that is the description stuff is stored in the item itself. So guess what you have to do if you mod in a custom race and want them to have unique inspect stuff too? That's right, edit almost every single item in the entire game.

Speaking of race mods, that's why I haven't got around to updating the OP, been trying to get mine up to speed. I get serious tunnel-vision when it comes to my hobbies lol

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Don't worry guys, chucklefish will keep their support for years after release (i.e. breaking mod compatibility)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

victrix posted:

Don't forget 7 different written racial descriptions for every single object in the entire universe :psyduck:

I like this though, it gives each race a personality.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

I like this though, it gives each race a personality.

Oh I think it's cool, it's just absolute loving madness, I sure hope they had multiple writers on that task and not one poor soul slaving away for three years.

Babe Magnet posted:

The worst part about that is the description stuff is stored in the item itself. So guess what you have to do if you mod in a custom race and want them to have unique inspect stuff too? That's right, edit almost every single item in the entire game.

Probably easiest to just use one of the existing races lines. Or make them whacky-zany and have it randomly pick a line.

Seems like it would have been a prime candidate for procedural text gen, with racial madlibs depending on the tags an item had. <That is a> <thing> <zany comment>. I'm sure someone equally crazy will mod that in at some point.

victrix fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 27, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

victrix posted:

Oh I think it's cool, it's just absolute loving madness, I sure hope they had multiple writers on that task and not one poor soul slaving away for three years.

It's not *that much* text, gosh. You should feel bad for the above-stated reason, that the text is stored in the item itself, instead of in one document that ties it to items by resource ID or something.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

fwiw I've been on Win7 for ages, only begrudgingly updated to win8 on my laptop, and just recently finally upgraded my win7 desktop to win10 - and it was one of the fastest and most painless installs I've done in a long time. Everything works still, faster if anything.

The only tweaks I did were downloading an antispybullshit program to turn off the various win10 telemetry things, and a small program to remove the corner sticky behavior when dragging windows for easier multi-monitor use.

Tronscript for removing the telemetry.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TronScript/

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
To be fair about the racial descriptions being stored in the item itself, it makes sense if you are expecting people to mod in new items, not new races.

But it really fucks over the people who add races.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Revol posted:

This mod does something similar, all monsters on the surface are passive. Once you get underground everything is aggro.

Thanks for liking this! They go much further with the mod, I wanna see how they handle passivity.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Is there any sort of planet list yet so I can find an instrument?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Wasn't there a time when Starbound's creatures were like procedurally generated? With different parts stuck onto a base body, essentially? Am I imagining that?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

deadly_pudding posted:

Wasn't there a time when Starbound's creatures were like procedurally generated? With different parts stuck onto a base body, essentially? Am I imagining that?

Nah they were, and some still are. But alot of them ended up looking really loving dumb, so there were a bunch of baseline creatures added.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Clocks posted:

As for extra people, if you've done any quests about rescuing friends and whatnot that follow you back to the colony they tend to stick around and hang out which is kind of cool.

I built my colony on top of a mine entrance, and the NPC hanging out there became part of the village, with quests and everything. It's pretty cool.

Dandywalken posted:

Nah they were, and some still are. But alot of them ended up looking really loving dumb, so there were a bunch of baseline creatures added.

Also when everything was a mad libs of monster parts everything just ended up being "ground monster" and "sky monster". With the infinite amount of monster types available, it ended up really just being two.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah that's why I had someone help me with the Peglaci, and even now I've fallen behind - I have something like 500 items I need to label :v

Also the Peglaci are slowly getting updated, and are at the point where the game doesn't just crash outright when I start it up. Hurrah. Armor and clothing for each tier have been updated to current stats and recipes, but most other items are hosed. It looks like I'll have to pretty much restart the guns almost from scratch unless I can sort out a better way of doing it.

An unofficial update for them is available here, but I'll hopefully put a more formal one out by Friday-ish.

(As a reminder, it's these guys:

They have racial descriptions for 80+% of objects, their own ships and AI, custom armor, and HAD an extremely thorough gun upgrade tree which is now horribly broken. Working on it.
)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I like the game.