Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Spuckuk posted:

Wild but interesting theory I heard elsewhere: Deblanc and Fiore aren't both Angels, one of them is a Demon, and they're the parents of Genesis.

When they introduce themselves "We're Angels..." "BOTH of us"

"My dear" in the last episode.

"They'd split us up" as well.

Only one of them is seen using the phone.

Only one is shown lying.

When asked whether it's possible to retrieve someone from hell, they have conflicting answers.

Also, when they flip the coin to decide whether to go to heaven or hell, one of them says "you have no idea how it is down there, believe me"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Spuckuk posted:

Wild but interesting theory I heard elsewhere: Deblanc and Fiore aren't both Angels, one of them is a Demon, and they're the parents of Genesis.

Only one is shown lying.

When asked whether it's possible to retrieve someone from hell, they have conflicting answers.

Either way it's the best bromance on TV right now. :angel:

After the "they'd split us up" and the "dear" comments I thought they were just an angel couple but I like this so much more.

Makes the travel agent's "20 minutes in the back" request make more sense too, assuming she was also supposed to be a demon.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Edmond Dantes posted:

Also, when they flip the coin to decide whether to go to heaven or hell, one of them says "you have no idea how it is down there, believe me"
And when they discuss how Fiore should answer the ringing phone, DeBlanc says "Remember, you're the sweet one. They love you up there."

Should we really be spoilering speculation based on episodes that have already aired?

Also, small detail I just noticed while rewatching the Cowboy scenes: In the original episode 5 Ratwater scenes, when the preacher is holding the gun to the horse's head, the Cowboy says "Don't". In the hell montage, he says "No". It's not exactly the same footage. I didn't notice any other changes, but I'll have to watch those scenes again.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 26, 2016

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

It also makes the whole sing it this song to get it back in the can make more sense. As Genesis's parents they probably sang that song to it as a lullaby or something.

I have never read the comics so I don't know if this is a thing, but as soon as I finished the episode I came to the conclusion they were the parents.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Spuckuk posted:

Only one is shown lying.

Duuuuuuude thats awesome, good catch.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's also the fact that DeBlanc gives his occupation as "serial killer" and Fiore as "architect."

Also, the travel agent is named Lucinda, and the trip costs 350 dollars per person, with beverage not included. :D

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's also the fact that DeBlanc gives his occupation as "serial killer" and Fiore as "architect."

Also, the travel agent is named Lucinda, and the trip costs 350 dollars per person, with beverage not included. :D

And the "class" they were traveling in was called "Nimrod."

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I'm really hoping this theory turns out to be true, I'm really liking the series so far (even if they're not really sure what to do with Tulip) and I think it'd be a fantastic move on their part, especially if they've been dropping those hints all along.

SimonChris posted:

Also, small detail I just noticed while rewatching the Cowboy scenes: In the original episode 5 Ratwater scenes, when the preacher is holding the gun to the horse's head, the Cowboy says "Don't". In the hell montage, he says "No". It's not exactly the same footage. I didn't notice any other changes, but I'll have to watch those scenes again.

You know, I caught that but I wrote it off as me misremembering it. Now I wonder if they've been groundhog daying us with other subtle changes, let us know if you notice anything else.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
One more thing occurred to me: Deblanc and Fiore have regularly talked about asking heaven for forgiveness, and everybody asummed that this concerned their unauthorized visit to earth. What if they have been on the run since they had Genesis, and that's what they want forgiven? I always thought sending Seraphim to hunt them down seemed a bit out of proportion simply for an unauthorized trip.... Surely, as custodians of Genesis, they would be perfectly within their rights to go get it back, yet heaven has wanted posters out for them and warrior angels scouring the earth the catch them.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 26, 2016

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Fiore and Deblanc being the angel/demon couple is just too good a theory. I'm used to AMC totally disappointing me on good twists though the past year+

It'd also set them up to be recurring characters as they'd have a much bigger interest in keeping up with Jesse and crew, after all they want to get their kid back...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
That's a cool theory and now I'm very interested to see if it pans out.

SimonChris posted:

Should we really be spoilering speculation based on episodes that have already aired?

Yeah I'm with you, stop with the CIA spoilers guys. If it isn't from an un-aired episode or the comics, it doesn't need to be spoiled. This is a thread for discussing the show; your theories about future episodes, as long as they're theories, should be fine.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And the "class" they were traveling in was called "Nimrod."

Nice catch, missed that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Speaking of lullabies, I thought it was a neat detail that the Cowboy's wife sang hers in German.

I wonder if they're both immigrants, or just her. Either way it might place them in some connection with Missouri.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Spuckuk posted:

Only one is shown lying.

And on top of the stuff other people added, there's how defensive the one got when the travel agent lady tried to force the other one to have sex with her.

E - and scolding Genesis "You've been a bad boy!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love this theory a whole lot and I hope it turns out to be true.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
I've got a feeling Walter, Tulip's uncle, is gonna turn out to be God.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Castor Poe posted:

I've got a feeling Walter, Tulip's uncle, is gonna turn out to be God.

I could totally see the Preacher God try and Morgan Freeman his way out of some poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I wonder if Dogma was at all inspired by Preacher. Kevin Smith definitely reads a lot of comics. The end results are pretty different, but there's some common stuff going on there.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I love the angel theory and I can totally see it being true. I really want to rewatch their scenes now.

I also picked up on the "Don't" - "No" difference in the saint's loops. I understood instantly it was a hell loop once that happened. (Only because I really liked the way he said "Don't")

All I could think of with the Cassidy scenes are the Julia scenes from Hellraiser where she lures men back to Frank for him to consume.

My only complaint is the so-obvious budget constraints, in this case showing up as a bus ride to hell. I am at least glad they put a little thundercloud action after the hell loop scene, just to add some sort of supernatural or divine flavor.

(Also, God is not the sleeping Uncle, we all know it's the furry mascot)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Spuckuk posted:

Only one is shown lying.

This actually makes a lot of sense and explains a lot of things in the show.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Zaphod42 posted:

I wonder if Dogma was at all inspired by Preacher. Kevin Smith definitely reads a lot of comics. The end results are pretty different, but there's some common stuff going on there.

Possible, Kevin Smith was a huge fan of the comics. He wrote the intro of the 2nd TPB.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh, just because SoK's hell is a Sisyphean task doesn't mean Arseface's hell would be too necessarily. In the bible hell is described a few different ways, and its been further taken in a million directions by all the depictions since then.

It is possible they'll just go with the obvious (getting the girl's face blown off over and over, however it happened) but I'd kinda prefer something more creative than that.

On the other hand, having us see Arseface's hell reliving how things went down would be a pretty fun storytelling device for how we finally learn what truly happened between him and the girl.

Nah. I'd rather Eugenes hell be a room full of mirrors with constant laughter and taunting loudly playing in the background. Maybe a really low chord or two from Versus-Chorus-Verse or Sappy from Nirvana to lead in.
"You are a freak Eugene!"
HAHAHAHAHA
"ARSEFACE! ARSEFACE!"
HAHAHAHAHA
"Retard!"
HAHAHAHAHAHA
"Why did you kill me Eugene?"
HAHAHAHAHAHA
<Eugene's voice> "Together Forever"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
A double barrelled shotgun lays by his feet. Two pristine shotgun shells sit beside him. The voices get louder.
"You said you loved me."
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
<Dads voice> "Why couldn't you manage to finish the drat job?"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
He grabs the shotgun and loads it. Camera shot becomes distorted and tilts 45 degrees. Eugene sweats profusely while loading the gun.
"Goddamn coward!"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
"Freak!"
Puts the double barrel in his mouth.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
<his own voice>"Together forever"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Shotgun goes click. He opens the breech and its empty. There were no shells. There never were.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
<Daddy's voice> "Such a disappointment."
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
Camera backs away as Eugene screams. Song "Verse-Chorus-Verse" becomes louder and builds as the camera backs off until a sharp cut to black.
"I'm sorry" Euegene sobs.
<Insert "Hell">

That's how I'd rather Hell go for Eugene: an eternity trapped with nothing but his own reflection and mocking voices. Every once in a while shells appear promising an end but it will always be just another tease. I'm sure they will come up with something better. Don't repeat the same hell for the Saint and Eugene. Hell should be a different flavour for every hombre.

edit: "Hate myself and I want to Die" also works as a song but its too easy a choice although the instrumental beginning would be nice. Big Long Now might work better as an alternative but I'd rather Sappy or V-C-V.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 27, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

I love this theory a whole lot and I hope it turns out to be true.

I just read it (despite fearing it was based on comic stuff) and.. that's actually pretty entertaining of an idea.

It explains a lot. Why are we using spoilers though? This isn't a comic thing as far as I can tell. Just a theory.

I also still believe the reason it picked Jesse is he's equal parts massive loving rear end in a top hat (Demon leaning) and trying to be a good guy and save everyone (Angel leaning). The specific balance a hybrid needs to not blow up.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 27, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SimonChris posted:

I really wish we weren't. The spoiler stuff should be limited to spoilers for the comics.

Plus this theory is pretty great.

My Lovely Horse posted:

These two kill each other casually in a fight just to get a fresh respawn. I figure when one of them suddenly takes it this hard, it's not a good sign. For my money we've seen the last of DeBlanc.

No way, pardon the pun, in hell. He respawned. Maybe he respawned randomly in hell and that's not so good, but I think with what we've seen of those two if he legitimately killed the other one forever, the reaction would have been more.. ape-poo poo.

Glaucus atlanticus posted:

After the "they'd split us up" and the "dear" comments I thought they were just an angel couple but I like this so much more.

Makes the travel agent's "20 minutes in the back" request make more sense too, assuming she was also supposed to be a demon.

And why he got so defensive about the idea.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 27, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Von_Doom posted:

That's how I'd rather Hell go for Eugene. I'm sure they will come up with something better. Don't repeat the same hell for the Saint and Eugene. Hell should be a different flavour for every hombre.

We gotta square this with him saying Hell is "crowded" though.

Or maybe not, that's just Jesse projecting. But boy are we getting oblique at this point.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Data Graham posted:

We gotta square this with him saying Hell is "crowded" though.

Or maybe not, that's just Jesse projecting. But boy are we getting oblique at this point.

It's literally Jesse projecting, I doubt any of that had anything to do with actual Eugene.
Eugene's hell has to be his attempted murder-suicide, over and over.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Kulkasha posted:

It's literally Jesse projecting, I doubt any of that had anything to do with actual Eugene.
Eugene's hell has to be his attempted murder-suicide, over and over.

Or watching the life of Tracy Loach unfold had he not turned her into a vegetable, kind of like a never-ending "It's a Wonderful Life...Without You" loop.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 27, 2016

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Emily's solution for the mayor kinda makes sense in a twisted sort of way.

It's only murder if vampires exist. And vampires don't loving exist. So no problem.

Anyway, hell of a way to break up with a guy.

edit: was just briefly summarizing the episode and got to write "Cassidy gives Jesse a hand."

odiv fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 27, 2016

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Great so now ill be a bit disappointed if that theory doesnt turn out to be correct :smith:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Fun thing about this new theory, 50% chance the hand Jesse got won't work. I think that's how we're gonna find out if it's true, and then Jesse will look like a fraud and an idiot for awhile, then the town explodes.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

counterfeitsaint posted:

Fun thing about this new theory, 50% chance the hand Jesse got won't work. I think that's how we're gonna find out if it's true, and then Jesse will look like a fraud and an idiot for awhile, then the town explodes.

Oh man I'm gonna be so disappointed if this doesn't happen as well.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

But they have to find out that God is gone from heaven, explaining all the little setups about how people can't hear him anymore.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

My Lovely Horse posted:

But they have to find out that God is gone from heaven, explaining all the little setups about how people can't hear him anymore.

Considering how much of the source has been changed, I wouldn't be surprised if (comic spoiler, sort of) Jesse's attempt to bring God into church pulls him from heaven and then he disappears rather than already being gone

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The pair seemed pretty put off by the joining of angel and demon, called them traitors. A show? Overcompensation?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

IIRC Kevin Smith wrote Dogma or the outline for it before he did Clerks, which would put it at least a few years before Preacher.

Ideas like that seems to come out at the same time from different people though, look at Walking Dead #1 and 28 Days Later's opening.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

I laughed really hard and for quite a long time at the 'Leave the comics behind' part. The setup, delivery, meta, everything just twanged a particular string and I kept cracking up after I thought I was done. Good stuff.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

odiv posted:

The pair seemed pretty put off by the joining of angel and demon, called them traitors. A show? Overcompensation?

I think that was genuine moral offense. They might overcompensate in front of other angels, but why would they need to put on a show in front of a human who (at that point) doesn't even believe them?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Justin Credible posted:

I laughed really hard and for quite a long time at the 'Leave the comics behind' part. The setup, delivery, meta, everything just twanged a particular string and I kept cracking up after I thought I was done. Good stuff.

HAH I didn't even catch the meta commentary there.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

This show is so much better than it has any right to be.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

I think that was genuine moral offense. They might overcompensate in front of other angels, but why would they need to put on a show in front of a human who (at that point) doesn't even believe them?
Yeah, I meant that those are questions which crop up within the theory that they were the parents of Genesis. Unless they're putting on a show for Jesse, why the vehemence for the demon/angel pair if that's them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

odiv posted:

Rewatching that scene I could definitely see how it might be self-loathing (especially on Fiore's part) since it was supposed to be "impossible".

Or maybe they are just its custodians, who knows.

Also let me remind everyone of how much the hotel fight scene owned.

• Locked thread