Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
To be fair, Motorola only had one quick update with Kit Kat, they never really were as quick with updates as people remember them being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Eh, I had Marshmallow on my MXP like only two weeks after Nexus devices. Yeah, I was in an early test group, but it will still final software and anyone could sign up for the group if they wanted.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Skywalker OG posted:

How is the real world performance on the g4 plus compared to the Turbo? I know the GPU isn't great but some of the tech blog sites say it's slow.

I haven't had any issues with it, but all I do is navigating, post here and Facebook, Pokémon Go, and email. Some other dumb games but that's about it.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Is the Android N preview fit for a daily driver?

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

chippy posted:

Yes, works fine for me on a Nexus 6.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Azrial posted:

Yes, works fine for me on a Nexus 6.

Same on my 5x.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Wee Bairns posted:

Same on my 5x.

And my pixel c.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nerve posted:

My brother just got an S7 and is looking for a glass screen protector. Any recommendations/links would be helpful

Also I got a 6P on prime day and it owns I'm glad I did

http://www.xtremeguard.com/Default.asp

Dont' buy full price, find a 80-90% coupon code.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

chippy posted:

A few of my apps are a bit funny with it but overall yeah its great.

Thought I was having sound issues with it for a while, turns out my headphones were hosed

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

XIII posted:

Dawg, you can't just make a post like that and not tell us about all the sweet falconry apps we should be using.

Alright. Didn't want to derail the thread here but there's a few key ones that I'm into.

FalconGear is really useful for tracking down the best gear to outfit my murdered out Harris Hawk.

Falcon Log is great for tracking my bird's sick gains for height and distance flown. It also has built in meteorological data so I can see how my bird performs when it's humid vs. dry etc.

Cetreria is like Tinder for Spanish falconry fans. My buddy uses this and he gets a ton of rear end before/after events because of this app and I'm pretty jealous.

Falco is a pretty run of the mill bird tracking spreadsheet app. Good for keeping track of your flock's weight and wingspan and also monitoring their food intake.

As you can see there's a lot of useful apps that I'm missing out on by being on iOS. I feel like it's a good time in my life to take my falconry to the next level, so I think an Andorid phone would be the best decision. So again, what's the best Android phone for me. I'd like something rugged, as you never know when your hawk will grab it thinking it's a squirrel or small rabbit and take it for a flight.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This is a troll, right?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Internet Explorer posted:

This is a troll, right?

Given the kind of weird-rear end AMAs we've seen in the Forums' history, probably not.

I guess I'd go with a Nexus 5X (so it doesn't cost much to replace) and an extremely heavy duty case for it (so maybe it survives a falcon). Yeah it won't look or act much like an iPhone but you don't want a wildly different kind of thing that is straining against its own design to be like the kind of thing you used to have.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm really amazed there's a social network specifically for Spanish-language falconry enthusiasts.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Or buy an Android tablet and tether it for Internet. Let's you get the apps you need and dip your toes in the water without worrying like weird things about your apps transferring (?), it being iPhone-like (??), or it being Falcon-proof (???).

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Or buy an Android tablet and tether it for Internet. Let's you get the apps you need and dip your toes in the water without worrying like weird things about your apps transferring (?), it being iPhone-like (??), or it being Falcon-proof (???).

Tether it to the falcon for cloud access.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Your life is wild dude. It's not for me but drat sounds like a grand ol time.

Maybe the newest Samsung Galaxy Active? I think the TouchWiz skin lets you turn off the app drawer and then it might be like iOS.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Yeah, that's usually the advice for people who want to use the Torque app. You can get hella cheap Android phones that will work fine as a limited device and are a snap to replace. Bonus: save battery life.

deong posted:

:bravo:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

JayKay posted:

So with the 6P and 5X on sale with B&H, Amazon, and Google Play, how far do you think they'll drop when the 2016's drop?

Not going to lie, very tempted to pick up a 6P, but I know prices will come down even further the closer we get.

Edit: Did the previous generation get the price cuts this early?

Also interested in this, though I'm worried the white 6P will be impossible to find anywhere outside Google's store. :ohdear:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

deong posted:

drat dude.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Hey you guys,

Disclaimer: I don't know much about phones other than how to use them, so my knowledge on what I'm asking is very limited at the moment.

My wife had a Samsung Galaxy S3 (SGH-T999L). It was going through the battery quickly, I suggested a factory reset, the phone threw out a bunch of errors and then it wouldn't boot. She has a new phone now.

I managed to get her old phone working though, since then. It's fully reset, and works good though it's not currently on a plan or anything. My plan was to give it to my daughter for her birthday coming up, because she really wants to get in on this Pokemon Go thing.

Problem is, the S3 will only run up to Android 4.3, while Pokemon Go requires 4.4 or later.

What are my options, if any? I can get a phone for free through T-mobile with a two year contract, and to add her would only be ten a month. But I'd rather use the phone that I have and not have that contract, if possible.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Buy a Nexus 5x and switch to a prepaid plan from T-Mobile. The S3 is ancient and not worth spending any time on.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Alright. Didn't want to derail the thread here but there's a few key ones that I'm into.

FalconGear is really useful for tracking down the best gear to outfit my murdered out Harris Hawk.

Falcon Log is great for tracking my bird's sick gains for height and distance flown. It also has built in meteorological data so I can see how my bird performs when it's humid vs. dry etc.

Cetreria is like Tinder for Spanish falconry fans. My buddy uses this and he gets a ton of rear end before/after events because of this app and I'm pretty jealous.

Falco is a pretty run of the mill bird tracking spreadsheet app. Good for keeping track of your flock's weight and wingspan and also monitoring their food intake.

As you can see there's a lot of useful apps that I'm missing out on by being on iOS. I feel like it's a good time in my life to take my falconry to the next level, so I think an Andorid phone would be the best decision. So again, what's the best Android phone for me. I'd like something rugged, as you never know when your hawk will grab it thinking it's a squirrel or small rabbit and take it for a flight.

Caterpillar S60. Also lets you monitor falcon output in the long wave infrared spectrum.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CornHolio posted:

Problem is, the S3 will only run up to Android 4.3, while Pokemon Go requires 4.4 or later.

What are my options, if any? I can get a phone for free through T-mobile with a two year contract, and to add her would only be ten a month. But I'd rather use the phone that I have and not have that contract, if possible.

I don't think you have any options other than rooting and installing a custom firmware. There is not an official 4.4 update for that phone.

But the real solution is this:

Buy a Nexus 5x and switch to a prepaid plan from T-Mobile. The S3 is ancient and not worth spending any time on.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Is the 5X the go-to right now? My 5 is starting to feel its age a little, but it's still doing well enough that I can hold out if there's something worth waiting for not too far away.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

New Nexus phones will be revealed in 3-4 months. You also have the 6P if you want to look at a Nexus other than the 5x. I made the 5x suggestion as cost seems to be a concern.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I used to have a manager (and after he was fired and started crying a subordinate) that had a hunchback, a droopy eye, and a clubfoot. He was also really into falconry. We were sure the falcon only stayed around because he was sure he would get to eat the guy one day.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm getting the feeling new Nexus phones are going to be coming sooner rather than later this year. Google hasn't launched a new version of Android without new hardware in recent memory and there's no new tablet on anyone's radar.

N is coming before the end of the summer, they already confirmed that and they are on the final Preview right now.

So we may be looking at a mid September Nexus launch this year.

Also, sales on the current hardware have been frequent and deep. It's like they are trying to keep the volume up enough to justify still making then while trying to keep inventory on hand low.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Is there such thing as a good screen protector to get? 9H sounded like bullshit but I also don't know what to if to buy. Thanks!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

New Nexus phones will be revealed in 3-4 months. You also have the 6P if you want to look at a Nexus other than the 5x. I made the 5x suggestion as cost seems to be a concern.

That's like a $350 phone, $250 for the deals at newegg right now.

But I can get a free phone with a two year contract.

Free is a lot cheaper than $250 since I'm going to have to pay $10/mo either way for service.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

CornHolio posted:

Hey you guys,

Disclaimer: I don't know much about phones other than how to use them, so my knowledge on what I'm asking is very limited at the moment.

My wife had a Samsung Galaxy S3 (SGH-T999L). It was going through the battery quickly, I suggested a factory reset, the phone threw out a bunch of errors and then it wouldn't boot. She has a new phone now.

I managed to get her old phone working though, since then. It's fully reset, and works good though it's not currently on a plan or anything. My plan was to give it to my daughter for her birthday coming up, because she really wants to get in on this Pokemon Go thing.

Even with a custom ROM, I really doubt the S3 could run Pokémon Go with anything approaching playability.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CornHolio posted:

Free is a lot cheaper than $250 since I'm going to have to pay $10/mo either way for service.

What "free" phone do you get for 10 bucks a month?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
More like

nimper posted:

What free "phone" do you get for 10 bucks a month?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

CornHolio posted:

For shame corn, you should know better than to look in the now instead of costing it out for 2 years

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Veskit posted:

Is there such thing as a good screen protector to get? 9H sounded like bullshit but I also don't know what to if to buy. Thanks!

fantastic glass ones, I put them on all my devices because I have two little kids that seek out and destroy phone screens.

Find a 80 or 90% coupon and buy a bunch of $1 apiece.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Grab a 5X and move your SIM as needed, or go with the tablet idea someone mentioned.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Jerk McJerkface posted:

fantastic glass ones, I put them on all my devices because I have two little kids that seek out and destroy phone screens.

Find a 80 or 90% coupon and buy a bunch of $1 apiece.

They don't make them for the 5x it looks like :smith:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Veskit posted:

They don't make them for the 5x it looks like :smith:

Do, I've bought a ton:

http://www.xtremeguard.com/LG-Nexus-5X-Screen-Protectors-p/lg0nex5xxgrds.htm

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

What a poo poo website on top of be being dumb. Do you have a preference of which one you buy?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The Spartan one is the full glass. The others are just plastic garbage. I think it's the second to last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Whizbang posted:

Because it's not the same Motorola we're talking about. Lenovo bought the company and then gutted it so they could slap the name on bad Chinese phones.

Oh totally I know, I just find it amusing how fast things can change in the smartphone game. See: HTC.