Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

By "booting" and "real aggressive" I did not mean to imply bans because that's silly. I just meant disconnecting them with assweasel error messages like limaCAT said. That gif schmeo posted is over 7 seconds of network fuckery, a half way decent server(meaning peer-to-peer host or dedicated) could figure out that network ordering is just messed up for that player and disconnect them instead of allowing them to continue to send out of order packets and dick with other players. Sure, Bungie would get a rise in complaints about disconnects from cheating assholes and people with bad connections playing outside their region or whatever but sorry, your network must be this good to go on the ride.

It's not even ping that's the problem here so out of region people would be mostly okay if the route is stable. It's the out of order packets that cause the worst damage because it messes with prediction and causes rollbacks.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

cvnvcnv posted:

Reminder that Bungie utilized misinformation and withheld information from the public when the game launched so people wouldn't know what they were buying. That is the company we are dealing with tomorrow, today, now.

What does this even mean?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Much simpler and less drastic response than disconnecting people- if the game detects that it's the one with the problem, it puts up a big ol' "ENCOUNTERING NETWORK ISSUES" banner and stops accepting input until it clears up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Databases can't melt dedicated servers.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It'll be a cold day in hell when I can't play this game from a cruise ship in the south pacific

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

haveblue posted:

Much simpler and less drastic response than disconnecting people- if the game detects that it's the one with the problem, it puts up a big ol' "ENCOUNTERING NETWORK ISSUES" banner and stops accepting input until it clears up.

What do you do with them while the banner is up? How do you deal with catching them up to the present for both them and everyone else? That just adds even more difficulty to the engineering nightmare that is network programming. When you get the black screen and come back in Destiny now, I believe that's a host migration and everyone sees it.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Make it so if they're having network connections they just sit in place until it is resolved like the good old days. You'd wake up dead a lot in the old Battlefields

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Obsurveyor posted:

What do you do with them while the banner is up? How do you deal with catching them up to the present for both them and everyone else? That just adds even more difficulty to the engineering nightmare that is network programming. When you get the black screen and come back in Destiny now, I believe that's a host migration and everyone sees it.

The same way it's done now, except they won't be attacking anyone else while it happens. It's not disruptive to anything else the game is doing, it just makes playing while laggy ineffectual and unfun, so no more incentive to lagswitch or keep playing while your connection shits itself.

e: I mean cut off controller input, not network input, if that wasn't clear.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 27, 2016

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
http://i.imgur.com/15LqUKS.gifv

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

gently caress, marry, kill: SBMM, DLC release schedule, story writing???

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Bungie issued a review embargo for days at launch so they could sell the game without anyone being any wiser on all the flaws the game had, the story it did not have, and so on under the guise of, "But there is so much game, you can't possibly play it and accurately reflect it in a review so quickly!" which is as transparently bullshit as it is telling about the mentalities of the people who push the game.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah and someone tried to say something bad about Hillary and they ended up dead!!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
SBMM for pres 2016

http://i.imgur.com/hFNmskc.gifv

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

cvnvcnv posted:

Bungie issued a review embargo for days at launch so they could sell the game without anyone being any wiser on all the flaws the game had, the story it did not have, and so on under the guise of, "But there is so much game, you can't possibly play it and accurately reflect it in a review so quickly!" which is as transparently bullshit as it is telling about the mentalities of the people who push the game.

I mean, they've had more DLC add-ons than any other game I've played on a console. Vanilla destiny had a bad story and bad loot mechanics but it was still enough to keep going on its own merit. I can't think of any other game that got a 7/10 that's been as successful and prolific.

Game reviews are based on a guy running through the single player campaign which did suck a lot, and the strength of the game has always been about getting together with your bros to do raids or nightfalls or whatever, so yeah I don't see anything wrong with them saying "please don't write off destiny based on the single player campaign and storytelling"

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
furthermore didnt you only start playing this game like 3 months ago? How you gonna be mad about their launch day poo poo when you came on a year and a half into the game?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

furthermore didnt you only start playing this game like 3 months ago? How you gonna be mad about their launch day poo poo when you came on a year and a half into the game?

:agreed:

His posting trajectory quickly went from clueless, needy newb through self described PVP expert to disgruntled veteran burned out by the literally weeks he's played this game.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Color me burned out over Iron Banner, but I can't deal with Crucible now. Is there anything else in the game to do?

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

loving loooooool

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

scaterry posted:

Color me burned out over Iron Banner, but I can't deal with Crucible now. Is there anything else in the game to do?

Grind out CoE/PoE for sweet sweet HoJ rank up guns.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Blackfyre posted:

One thing that I don't get is why this game doesn't really seem to be taken all that seriously in Europe, UK deffo. Never seem to find many people playing raids etc in the UK always get US players even when picking up pubbies.

Speaking of if anyone wouldn't mind helping out with CoE at say 8PM GMT tonight or KF HM at the weekend see the other thread and message me.

XBONE cool guy or Ps4 wanker?

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

hitchensgoespop posted:

XBONE cool guy or Ps4 wanker?

:jerkbag:

Apologies, normally just assume its all PS4

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum
I too am gay.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Mad? lmao Noting the game's history doesn't require emotion, or having been there. That's moronic as poo poo, and I've been playing for 8 months or so which is also irrelevant.

Ahhhhh, it's another round of the Krew's synchronized moon cycles. Classic. Maybe mention this to your marriage counselor, make some progress.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

cvnvcnv posted:

Mad? lmao Noting the game's history doesn't require emotion, or having been there. That's moronic as poo poo, and I've been playing for 8 months or so which is also irrelevant.

Ahhhhh, it's another round of the Krew's synchronized moon cycles. Classic. Maybe mention this to your marriage counselor, make some progress.

They don't jump on people saying not-dumb stuff, so there's more to it than that. Only dumb game reviewers would agree to an embargo to get the game early and not be able to talk about it on launch day. The rest skip that dumb bullshit and go buy it in a store/online.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

cvnvcnv posted:

I'm sorry Bungie's lovely game is damaging your sanity and your K/D ratio, but take comfort that your meltdown per post ratio is still pretty drat strong.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

ITT we have a bunch of loving retards, end of story

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Bob NewSCART posted:

ITT we have a bunch of loving retards, end of story

same

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All the well adjusted adults left the game and thread a year ago, only leaving us poor slobs left to carry the torch.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

xzzy posted:

All the well adjusted adults left the game and thread a year ago, only leaving us poor slobs left to carry the torch.

its true

http://i.imgur.com/UdxUI1b.gifv

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

cvnvcnv posted:

Um, it's plenty relevant because you obviously saw all the shenanigans and clearly knew about the aftermath but then went ahead and bought the game a year later with your eyes wide open and now want to bandwagon on the "bungie bad" train?

I don't have any problems with destiny or bungie for the most part and I don't complain about lag much here or otherwise. I like to clown on them but in the end I'm a pretty happy camper.

You acting like they're some super secretive organization that's casting a smokescreen or whatever the gently caress in order to make sales is laughable. Hmm, yes a company that expects to make money from their product is worried because the criteria that a 48 hour game review is based on will be fairly weak so they ask people not to judge it until they've done the cool stuff like raiding and such is very unreasonable.

What's even funnier is that you seem to think that Bungie should be hellbanning people with bad internet as though that would somehow not end up in a PR nightmare. I can guarantee you that both Sony and MS game developer licenses have provisions that prevent Bungie from discriminating specifically against people based on the quality of their internet services unless it literally can't connect at all.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Um, it's plenty relevant because you obviously saw all the shenanigans and clearly knew about the aftermath but then went ahead and bought the game a year later with your eyes wide open and now want to bandwagon on the "bungie bad" train?

I don't have any problems with destiny or bungie for the most part and I don't complain about lag much here or otherwise. I like to clown on them but in the end I'm a pretty happy camper.

You acting like they're some super secretive organization that's casting a smokescreen or whatever the gently caress in order to make sales is laughable. Hmm, yes a company that expects to make money from their product is worried because the criteria that a 48 hour game review is based on will be fairly weak so they ask people not to judge it until they've done the cool stuff like raiding and such is very unreasonable.

What's even funnier is that you seem to think that Bungie should be hellbanning people with bad internet as though that would somehow not end up in a PR nightmare. I can guarantee you that both Sony and MS game developer licenses have provisions that prevent Bungie from discriminating specifically against people based on the quality of their internet services unless it literally can't connect at all.

I've been playing DESTINY as long as I've been playing videogames, a fact expressed numerous times to explain that the nuances of nerd poo poo are lost on me.

Further, I said nothing about bans or "hellbanning" or conspiracy. I mention history to back my opinions on my own experiences, which are unique in here, a place which shouldn't cannibalize it's already meager population. But you do you and I'll do me.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
gross

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Nice meltdown

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

FishBulb posted:

Nice meltdown

Bro I've had so many meltdowns itt I look like jabba the hut irl

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Meltdown May has run clean on through to July.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
I'm gonna say something controversial so hold onto your hats.....

I like this game.

Consider this my finest hour and my greatest meltdown.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I only melt down over snipers that blow my head off even though I got the first shot in.

Even though in my head I know we both shot at the same time and it's just internet latency revealing itself.

But dammit I want to survive that poo poo and if I shoot a sniper first the gun should fly out of their hands and they have to spend 10 seconds picking it up off the ground and inspecting it for damage. :qq:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
liar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No it's true and gently caress you for a million years for suggesting otherwise!!!! :argh:

• Locked thread